Ask all your laptop/desktop questions here

Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
From now on, if you want to ask about whether this laptop or that desktop is a good deal, or if it would be suitable to run FM or any other game, ask in here.

This will stop the Football Manager discussion forums from getting clogged up with threads that aren't really anything to do with the game.

Subsequent laptop/desktop threads will be closed.

:)

Last edited:
That laptop should be capable of running a decent amount of leagues, the graphics card wont run the 3d match engine in high detail that well but overall it seems a good deal.

Cheers guys , think I might get that!

whats the easiest and cheapest way of improving my laptops performance? asides defragging etc,
i want to be able to run a fair few leagues without compromising too much on game speed?

whats the easiest and cheapest way of improving my laptops performance? asides defragging etc,
i want to be able to run a fair few leagues without compromising too much on game speed?

A RAM upgrade may help if you only have 1 or 2 GB of RAM atm. If you have 3GB+ of RAM, adding more will not mae a massive difference.

Close all other programs running at the same time, possibly install Game Booster and possible change your Power Plan to High Performance if playing on a Laptop (not sure on the PC options)

A RAM upgrade may help if you only have 1 or 2 GB of RAM atm. If you have 3GB+ of RAM, adding more will not mae a massive difference.

Yeah, from PC world though you can only buy 2GB of ram, so i'm not entirely sure.
I think my laptop only has 2GB as it stands so will have to look into that.

I also found a laptop cooling pad helped greatly. Hot computer components = slower processing.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Yeah, from PC world though you can only buy 2GB of ram, so i'm not entirely sure.
I think my laptop only has 2GB as it stands so will have to look into that.

If you aren't experienced enough with adding RAM yourself, take it to your nearest independant computer repair shop, and they will add extra RAM pretty cheaply for you.

I also found a laptop cooling pad helped greatly. Hot computer components = slower processing.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

If you aren't experienced enough with adding RAM yourself, take it to your nearest independant computer repair shop, and they will add extra RAM pretty cheaply for you.
laptop cooling pads makes a whole world of difference. also if you have a dell you can get cooling fan softwareto manually control the speed of your fans to keep temp down.

for those looking for ram: http://www.crucial.com/uk/

Hi i am new to this forum!!

can anyone help me and let me know which laptop out of the 2 below would be best suited to run football manager 2011?
the laptop will only be used for football manager nothing else!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-g62...tab-tech-specs

http://direct.tesco.com/product/default.aspx?R=208-8799

thankyou!!
user_online.png
progress.gif

Last edited:
If your computer could play FM2010 it should be able to play FM2011. There are just a few differences. Fm 2011 really eats up processing power compared to the previous version so you should close everything you're not using and use Game Booster 1.6 to defrag the game and to close unwanted processes. You might also need some kind of cooling system if your fan is on non stop.

I already have a laptop and FM2010, hopefully will be picking up FM2011 very soon, however my mate was wondering was laptops at max price £400 would be good enough to support FM2011?

Any help would be appreciated

Hi, I'm on a macbook and can install/uninstill/reinstall the game perfectly, but I have downloaded the patch about 5 times and I can't get the game to accept it, how do I get it to work? It's been downloaded in the offline mode so the disc is present etc etc etc, cheers

If the patch doesn't unzip and install itself on a PC, the advice is to change the file type to a .exe and then double click it and open it as an executable fiel, not sure what the equivalent procedure would be on a mac though...

Network Crash

Hello

I am using my laptop as a server which a couple of mates are linking up to. We followed advice on how to create a network from advice on a fm 2010 thread. We link to Hamachi, I create the game then they join the network game.

Problem: A couple of times the game has crashed. The first time, they were setting up their teams for friendlies which were about to play. In the top corner the continue button had 'Latest Scores' so we were basically in match simulation mode. I decided to search for a player whilist they were setting up their team and it crashed. On another occasion I was setting up my team as well as one other and the game crashed. I am not sure if the third member was idle or not. Has this problem occured before? Do you know any way in which to stop it?

My laptop has has the following system characteristics:
Windows XP service pack 3
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T7700 @ 2.40 GHZ
2.39GHZ @ 1.98 GB Ram

Thanks for your help!

Stuart