Ask uncle MAD (Uncle MAD's box of choccys)

What are the requirements for upgrading your club from semi-professional to professional, and how is it done?

No idea but I guess: moving up the leagues (cos from certain leagues upwards you can only be fully pro) and making money.

Sporting Lisbon - A nice challenge PART 2

Currently in my second season late Jan and we re already making money to the extent that the board made extra funds available (which I didnt use and put into wages to get interest).

Some tips comments and update:

1. In my 1st season I won the league (by one point!) off FCP and the Taca (cup). Didnt get out of the group stage in the League Cup (actually finished last with only one point) as my squad was too small for the amount of matches required.

2. I kept wheeling and dealing, selling players (some quite good) for as big a premium as I could and in their stead I brought in loans mainly. I didnt even ask for more % of transfer revenue cos I wanted that to go towards putting us out of the red and into the black.

3. Transfers:

OUT (Summer)

Elias 4.5m FCP - This guy was actually one of my star players but he was already 28 so I bit FCPs hand off for wanting to pay 700k over his value. With the money I got for him (and using instalments I bought TWO class players -see below).

Vladimir Stojkovic (4.5 potential GK from youth team) 5m + 15% resale. People may be shocked by me selling him but I have a brill GK in Rui Patricio who's only 26, another older GK who's decent plus another youth who's a model pro so I figured that by the time Stojkovic would be needed/ready Id be rich if I used the dosh to bring in players to win me stuff now.

Heldon 1m Legia - I have a plethora of AM/STs at the club both permanently and on loan, he was 26 and not that great so I took the dosh.

Gerson Magrao, Wallyson and Owusu free. No takers too old and/or too **** so their contracts were allowed to run down.

Miguel Lopes 400k PAOK - Not too bad a player actually but needed the money to go against what the team owes. Not sold at a premium from his value.

Salim Cisse 205k Asteras Tripolis - Only 21, good stats (15 finishing for ex) and with good potential. But too many attackers ...

Diogo Salomao, Wilson Eduardo 1.2 m together Rayo Vallecano and Panathinaikos.

Fredy Montero 3.2m (double his value) FC Lorient. Very sad to see him go cos he had brill stats (eg 17 finishing) but too many attackers, was 26 and double the value meant he had to go. Before I let him tho Id already tied up a deal to bring a (better value) replacement who for less.

Bruno Wilson 1m+ 30% sell on. 17 yo youth player with 3.5* (I think) potential but I didnt like his stats. And his mentality is balanced which meant that, in the absence of tutors he was disposable (the one MAJOR problem with Sporting is that there are very few and you cant bring others in cos of having to skim money).

IN (SUMMER)

Humam Tariq 700k (mistakenly bought in first season and I say this cos he was not transferable before July 2015 so money should ve been spent on other players for immediate return. When you have to skim on money and are trying to make a club a viable concern as per my previous posts on this you need to get players you can use and who will perform instantly cos winning trophies is the easiest way out!)

Kiko Macheda FREE - Fine for this level.

Kurt Zouma/Piazon/Facundo Cardozo (brought him back for another season as he's awesome at cb)/Angel Correa (same as Cardozo)/Cavanda (same as Correa and Cardoso - plus he's perfect as a cwb) - loaned in for very little.

Gaston Gil Romero 4.6m (but only around 2m actually taken from budget at the time cos instalments were used). One of the two players bought with the Elias money and a big improvement on him in both ability and age. This and the other player I bought with the Elias money show that instalments, if used judiciously, do not cause problems to a team severely in the red. Remember you need value and return ON THE PITCH so that you can win trophies asap cos thats what will make you the real dosh!

Last edited:
Sporting Lisbon - A nice challenge PART 3

Transfers - INS (SUMMER) -continued

Rodolfo Pizarro 2.1m (but only 1.3m taken from wage budget). This guy is young and a bit of a star. First time Im using him and he scores quite a few.

- I am currently leading the league by 9 points off FCP (and unbeaten with all players I brought in from the start playing brilliantly. Im progressing in the Taca well and, now that I have a decent size squad I even won my first League cup match 3-0 so I lead the group. Came second in the EPL to Barcelona (who I beat home 2-1 having lost away 2-0), the other teams in the group being Red Star Belgrade (victory away and draw at home) and Athletico Madrid (loss away and victory at home). Next opponent: MAN ******!

- The absolute star of my team is ABEL HERNANDEZ who cant stop scoring and he's the main reason I am where I am football wise ... but also player wise (see below)

TRANSFERS -JAN

OUT

Valentin Viola 1.4m Olympiacos. Young (23), back from loan, good stats but he's an AM and Ive got many. Plus i wanted to make money to get another decent fb/wingback ... or so I thought, until Napoli offered to buy Hernandez. I didnt want to sell him but decided to test how high they were prepared to bid and to my amazement they ended up accepting my outrageous demand for 20m! He is brill but valued a little less than 5m which is around what he cost me I decided that if I also sold Jeferson (a lb) for a premium, Id have the money to bring real class in! So Jeferson went to Botafogo for 3m!

Now I had the money to bring IN real class, which would not hurt the finances too much, improve my squad no end and thus the chances of European success (at least monetary):

Batshuayi 6.75m rel clause - started with a hat trick in his first match (which we won 3-0) and scored more ..

Andreas Cornelius 8.5m (only 4.5 off budget due to installments). From Copenhagen.

Sead Kolasinac 7.75m (less than 4m off the budget). I told you I needed a decent wb but when I was planning for it I was hoping Id have enuff to bring in Tagliafico at most who's a good player bless him but Kolasinac is one of the top youngsters on FM14 and someone I used before (in my Schalke save) so I know what he can do.

So the CURRENT SQUAD is:

GKs

Rui Patricio
Boeck
Jorge Pareira (16yo model pro who is getting games already)

CBs

Dier
Cardozo (loan)
Kurt Zouma (loan)
Rasmus Thelander
St Strandberg
Marcos Rojo

FBs/WBs

M. Rojo
Schelotto (loan)
Kolasinac
Cavanda (loan)
Cedric Soares (very good young Portuguese player - v recommended)
Dier

DMs

Fabian Rinaudo - thot to sell him but changed my mind cos there's nobody better for less than I would get from him.
William Carvalho
Gas Gil Romero
Dier
Strandberg
Joao Mario (more of a cm as his tackling and marking is far from great)

Ms

Anderson Martins - another young star. Very recommended
Adrien - young, good stats and valued at 5.5m
Joao Mario

AMs

Kasper Kusk - now valued at 9m and teams keep bidding for him. I could probably get 20m for him but he's still young and dont want to change players too much afraid of fckng up team cohesion.
Angel Correa (loan)
Humam Tariq (just loaned him out)
Piazon (loan)
Andre Carillo (more of a cf)
Diego Rubio (more of a cf)
Rodolfo Pizarro (more of a cf)

CFs

Kiko Macheda
Batshuayi
Cornelius

I hope that with the above you can see how enjoyable managing Sporting (or indeed any club with severe financial problems) can be and that you get ideas from it as to how to go about making them financially strong again.

Last edited:
The Magpie approach to tactical/formational building.

Playing around with FM14:

A. Reading material:

1. The central winger: Utilising the Central Winger - The Dugout Football Manager Community
2. The school of defensive arts: The School of the Defensive Arts
3. The inverse wingback: Using Space: The Inverse Wingback

B. Stealing them all together!:

(1) The formation chosen:

-------------------------------------------------------------TREQ (sup)

---------IF (S) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- IF ATT

--------------------------------------CM ATT --------------------------------------BWM (S)

------------------------------------------------------------ RGA (S)

--------- CWB ATT ----------------- CD (D) ------------------------------------- CD (D) -------------------- CWB ATT

------------------------------------------------------------ GK(D)

(2) From the second link:

(a) Team instructions (Defense and Very Rigid): Retain possession/shorter passing/more disciplined/stick to positions/play narrower/drop deeper.

(b) Player instructions to CDs (pass shorter) and RGA (shoot less).

(c) The use of HB and Treq (but needs to be tested as DLF may work better here).

(d) The use of CWBs with Attack duty

[GK distribute to defenders)

(3) From the first link:

(a) Setting up the CENTRAL "WINGER": attack duty and PIs: close down more/further forward/run wide with ball (plus be more expressive as Im using him in a very rigid set up).

Possible PPMs: Cross from byline

(b) The use of CWBs

(4) From the third link:

(a) Setting up the "INVERSE WINGBACK": The LCWB should always have a strong right foot. PIs: cut inside with ball/run with ball/cross less (Im afraid to give him a shoot more PI due to the danger of him shooting from weird angles etc.)

(b) The use of a HB (Defensive solidity).

(c) LIF PIs: stay wide/shoot less/move further up AND duty: SUP

(5) "My" input:

(a) The formation - seems to be the one most suited to bringing all the (disparate) ideas together.

(b) LIR duty: ATT and PIs: stay narrow/cross less (I want him to shoot more but to tell him so would cause ME probs.

(c) RCWB PIs: Stay wide/shoot less.

C. I havent tested this and it may well not work in this format (so would have to get tweaked) but I hope to show esp to all the people who find FM14 frustrating and not enjoyable that all you need is a little thought and some stealing (but in a logical way) to start playing around.

D. The set up should be used reactively with tweaks in relation to opponents and what happens in matches.

E. KUDOS TO THE GENII WHO GAVE US THE THREE ABOVEMENTIONED THREADS!

Last edited:
Hi MANUMAD, don't think I've read it anywhere else in this thread, my question, how do you react to an early red card? The scenario I just had: League cup semi finals, in both legs I had early reds. Managed to win the first 2-1 (H) and lost the second 2-1 (A), eventually lost on penalties. These were my first for the season so it is not a regular problem, but if you have some tips to soften the blow of playing with one man down???

:) the previous post is suppose to be home & away not cool smiley and angel smiley

Hi MANUMAD, don't think I've read it anywhere else in this thread, my question, how do you react to an early red card? The scenario I just had: League cup semi finals, in both legs I had early reds. Managed to win the first 2-1 (H) and lost the second 2-1 (A), eventually lost on penalties. These were my first for the season so it is not a regular problem, but if you have some tips to soften the blow of playing with one man down???

Depends on the formation, the score and the opposition strength and formation. eg if I employ someone in the hole (am c) I ll lose him since I dont want to be overrun in midfield. I usually use team instruction run at defence in my tactics to make the cms/am attack so Ill also lose that ..

Tabloid 'logic" in all its glory. Awesome!

Frankly, He's Missed The Point
Mick Dennis uses his column in the Daily Express to tackle the possible Financial Fair Play implications of Frank Lampard's loan move to Manchester City, with confusing results.

'Arsene Whinger began the new campaign as he will doubtless continue - moaning about Manchester City circumventing financial fair play regulations,' Dennis opines. We can't quite believe that a national newspaper columnist would resort to changing a surname in an attempt at humour, but still, the point stands. We're surprised he didn't say Manchester Sh**ty too, just for the bantz.

'Of course it's bending the financial fair play rules,' Dennis continues. 'New York City and Manchester City are both owned by Sheikh Mansour.' Oh, so they are breaking the rules? But we thought Wenger was just 'whinging'?

'But Arsenal took Thierry Henry temporary deal in 2012 and nobody bleated.'

No Mick, but that's probably because neither Stan Kroenke or Alisher Usmanov own the New York Red Bulls. Which is entirely the point.

Wenger is not whinging (and in fact Mediawatch should point out that he didn't even whinge at all) about Manchester City completing any loan deal, merely that owning both the loaner and loanee clubs potentially allows for favourable terms to be offered, to the benefit of City in this case. Something that City entirely deny.

So, Arsene Wenger should stop moaning, but City have broken the rules, but that's okay because Arsenal did the same, apart from the fact that their situation was completely different. Glad that's clear.

Do you have any tips for getting a tall striker to score headers? He is 194cm with 14 heading (very high level for Skrill Premier) and decent jumping reach, yet he never scores any headers. I've got my AML on Winger 'Attack and my AMR on Inside Forward 'Support'. The striker is on Complete Forward (Attack). Is there anything I can do to get him scoring headers other than telling my wingers to cross to the target man, and using the team instruction 'Exploit the flanks'? Is Complete forward not good for getting in the box and finishing headers? The striker is still scoring stacks of goals, I'm just wondering if I'm not really getting his full performance since his main strength in heading.

Do you have any tips for getting a tall striker to score headers? He is 194cm with 14 heading (very high level for Skrill Premier) and decent jumping reach, yet he never scores any headers. I've got my AML on Winger 'Attack and my AMR on Inside Forward 'Support'. The striker is on Complete Forward (Attack). Is there anything I can do to get him scoring headers other than telling my wingers to cross to the target man, and using the team instruction 'Exploit the flanks'? Is Complete forward not good for getting in the box and finishing headers? The striker is still scoring stacks of goals, I'm just wondering if I'm not really getting his full performance since his main strength in heading.

Been wondering about this myself actually (ie how to get tall cfs score from headers). I dont remember the other options to complete forward but the following may help:

1. Change and make the IF attack and the winger support.
2. Tell winger to stay back (maybe even pull him back to "real" winger position) and the opposite from cross from byline cos you want balls to come in lobbed/floating on winger's head.
3. Instruct team to float crosses.

If my grandma had balls

"If the World Cup had ended in the quarter-final, you wouldn't ask questions about my ability" - David Luiz tries to convince everyone to forget Brazil's 7-1 defeat.

Love this thread. Thought i'd bump it because its the least it deserves. :)

Many thanks mate. Been mostly on holiday/at the beach (live in Cyprus) so haven't updated it for some time.

Understandable mate, I think i'll add some knowledge to the thread once I get some time. ;)

Many thanks mate. Been mostly on holiday/at the beach (live in Cyprus) so haven't updated it for some time.

Love this thread as I am absolutely useless at this game. I've tried to write down what I think is the most important things you have said in all of these posts. Just wondered If you could put in one post all your recommendations for idiots like me to start enjoying this game. I am so frustrated and I'm desperate for help before I leave this game and the series for good.

Cheers
Ian

Love this thread as I am absolutely useless at this game. I've tried to write down what I think is the most important things you have said in all of these posts. Just wondered If you could put in one post all your recommendations for idiots like me to start enjoying this game. I am so frustrated and I'm desperate for help before I leave this game and the series for good.

Cheers
Ian

Well Ian, you sound like a decent chap which is surprising as you seem to be a Leeds Utd fan! :p

Seriously tho, you must realise that what you re asking me to do is a huge task (which may also be impossible).

If its any consolation I rarely play with English teams and the two times I tried (Swansea and Saints) I found that a lot of the stuff I say work much less there than in other leagues which is weird. At Swansea I got so annoyed I resigned in frustration for the first time in my FM life.

Well Ian, you sound like a decent chap which is surprising as you seem to be a Leeds Utd fan! :p

Seriously tho, you must realise that what you re asking me to do is a huge task (which may also be impossible).

If its any consolation I rarely play with English teams and the two times I tried (Swansea and Saints) I found that a lot of the stuff I say work much less there than in other leagues which is weird. At Swansea I got so annoyed I resigned in frustration for the first time in my FM life.

Lol. I don't know what is more frustrating watching Leeds or playing this ****** game!!

I always start with the lower leagues and I guess that's where my problems lie as I believe this is far more difficult than starting with a premiership club. There are so many things I just don't understand like are attributes more important than the scout reports and tactics.... well don't even get me started.

Anyway keep up the good work matey.

Cheers
Ian

Lol. I don't know what is more frustrating watching Leeds or playing this ****** game!!

I always start with the lower leagues and I guess that's where my problems lie as I believe this is far more difficult than starting with a premiership club. There are so many things I just don't understand like are attributes more important than the scout reports and tactics.... well don't even get me started.

Anyway keep up the good work matey.

Cheers
Ian

1. I absolutely LOVE watching Leeds play (in the champo) nowadays!:p
(A)
2. Use your eyes: look at the attributes of each player and forget the stars etc. A useful way to do so is to go to individual training and see which attributes are important for each position (by choosing them to be trained). Use your eyes: watch matches and react.

3. As irl tactics are of paramount importance. Also FM is a computer game and computer games always have a built in "flaw" a way that they can be beaten. FM's "flaw" is the tactic. With the right tactics a crappy team can beat a team of world class players.

4. Scout reports are helpful: look at an opposition scout report. What formation dont they like? Play something similar to that against them ...

1. I absolutely LOVE watching Leeds play (in the champo) nowadays!:p
(A)
2. Use your eyes: look at the attributes of each player and forget the stars etc. A useful way to do so is to go to individual training and see which attributes are important for each position (by choosing them to be trained). Use your eyes: watch matches and react.

3. As irl tactics are of paramount importance. Also FM is a computer game and computer games always have a built in "flaw" a way that they can be beaten. FM's "flaw" is the tactic. With the right tactics a crappy team can beat a team of world class players.

4. Scout reports are helpful: look at an opposition scout report. What formation dont they like? Play something similar to that against them ...

Surely you would love to see Leeds back in the premiership as this would guarantee at least 2 cup finals a season for you !!!

So to sum up Attributes of players are key regardless of what scouts and *** manager say and play a formation that the opponent don't like to play against. Finally watch and react.

Marching on together.