Ask uncle MAD (Uncle MAD's box of choccys)

Utilising the tactical interface

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS

Passing

Pass Into Space - It increases through balls so the players pass the ball in front of the receiver (and on the shoulder of the defending player) so he can run onto the ball. It’s great for creating space and forcing the opposition’s players to try and make a tackle. Good to use against slow defenders, when you're struggling to break down the opposition and generally in all tactics in FM 14 as through balls work pretty well in this version.

Width

Play Wider –
Instructs the players to play wider. It can obviously work well with exploit the flanks but its a fallacy that exploit the flanks only works with play wider; it doesnt. Some combinations aiming to limit opposition space and press it mean its better to use play narrow with exploit the flanks. If the opposition are playing narrow it can be used to try and stretch them wider. Advisable to use if the midfield is cramped in the middle and you are outnumbered.

Play Narrower - Self explanatory. Useful if you want to pack the midfield and become more solid to get through or if you want to press opposition or if you want to be aggressive by getting stuck in and hassling.

Attacking

Run At Defence - Instructs all attacking players including attacking midfielders to run with the ball often. Normal midfielders on attack duty are not affected. This is imperative if you want your am (who can be anything, a treq/ap/ss etc) to be the main attacker because you play with a lone dlf support up front. This is best used when the opposition allows your attacking players time on the ball .i.e. not closing you down. It can be a great shout to use if the opposition is standing off you. It can be equally effective if the oppositions defence are bad at tackling as well.

Take A Breather - Decreases forward runs and tempo. You should use this is you don’t have players with good stamina or if condition is getting a bit low, or if comfortably winning and after the 70th minute and you have another (important) match coming up very soon. Couple it with retain possession.

Shooting

Shoot On Sight – Increases the long shots for your team. Can be used against sides that park the bus in front of the goal. Advisable to use if your attacking players have a good long shot attribute. Known to cause hysteria and hair pulling in the user after he has seen yet another shot from an impossible distance get wasted!

Work Ball Into Box – This tells players to use long shots rarely. This is useful if you think your players are shooting too often. Or if you find you want to keep possession and be more probing. Or if you want to stay sane by not having your players (all your players) shoot from stupid angles and impossible distances!

Wing Play

Hit Early Crosses – Tells fullbacks, wingbacks, complete wing backs, wide midfielders and wingers to cross the ball early. It puts run with ball on rarely and cross from on mixed. This can be used against sides that play with a high defensive line. This can also be used if you have a fast striker who can break defences with his pace and acceleration. Dont use if you are playing with (very) deep defensive line as the crosses are likely to have (next to) nothing to aim for.

Look For Overlap – Your fullbacks or (complete) wingbacks will be given a more attacking mentality, run from deep often, cross ball often and be asked to cross from byline. While your wingers will be given a more defensive mentality, run from deep rarely and hold up the ball. It’s great to use against sides who are proving difficult to break down. Can also be used against narrow formations that lack wide players. Very dangerous to use esp if you have cwbs against formations with wingers (eg 442) or opposition with pacy players on the wings.

Exploit The Flanks – Fullbacks/(complete) wingbacks and wingers become more attacking and play gets focussed down both flanks. Wing players run from deep and cross the ball more often. Use if middle of the pitch is congested or if opposition is parking the bus.

Possession - passing

Retain Possession – Shortens passing length and slows the tempo down. But it results to dithering on/with the ball and has the additional danger that the ball may be lost in dangerous positions. Dont use if your players arent skilled in ball holding. As noted in previous posts its good to use when you want to close a game out and hold onto the current result, but in that case only introduce it in the 85th minute.

Exploit The Middle – Defensive players will have their runs from deep increased to often. Tells your team to focus their passing through the middle and any defenders and defensive midfielders will have their mentality changed to a more attacking one and be told to attempt vertical through balls often. Obviously goes with narrow wingerless formations. Unless you play with a flat back five where the (c)wbs are supposed to bomb forward and offer width. Use against teams who leave holes in centre.

IM NOT IN FRONT OF THE GAME SO I DONT SEE THE OTHER OPTIONS (eg more direct etc) SO I WILL HAVE TO COME BACK TO UPDATE AT SOME POINT HOPEFULLY.

Pressing

Stand-Off Opponents –
Changes marking to loose zonal, reduces closing down drastically and decreases tempo. Use when you play a technically superior side and don’t want your players to get skinned to ensure you keep your defensive shape.

Hassle Opponents – Increases the tempo, tells the team to tight man mark and also increases the closing down for your side. Use this if you want to reduce space and time that you allow the opposition to have. Works good with a very attacking strategy and against teams who are a lot weaker than yours.

Overload - Contain

Play Even Safer - Contain. It decreases all runs from deep (except for strikers) and through balls to rarely. It also tells all the players except wingers to run with the ball rarely. Imperative to use with contain.

Take More Risks – Overload. Sets run from deep to often for all players on a support duty. Increases through balls to often and run with the ball for all players. Doesnt work. Employing overload philosophy is enough.

Last edited:
Sporting Lisbon - A nice challenge

Ive started a save with Sporting as they seem a bit of a challenge being technically bankrupt and losing money by the day yet being the 3rd best team in the country.

You get 3 mil transfer kitty for European qualification plus there are some sellable players (esp Capel who's valued at 5.2m) so with some wheeling and dealing you have around 10mil to play with.

They are also stuffed with young players who are very good already and/or have huge potential.

I decided to experiment with defensive philosophy yet an attacking team after reading CLEON's SCHOOL OF THE DEFENSIVE ARTS article on the SI forums (google it its awesome as usual for him).

After 9 matches Im top of the league 2 points from SLB and FCP (beat the latter 2-0 away, drew 2-2 home against the former having led 2-0 which was mainly due to the fact that Im still getting the feel of the tactics and I intentionally did not shut up shop).

Transfers

Out

Diego Capel 7.2m FCP
Shikabala 1m Olympiacos
Vitor - 250k PAOK
Slimani - 500k Leeds

In (some with instalments)

Kusk
Thelander
Strandberg
Abel Hernandez
Angel Correa (loan)
Luis Pedro Cavanda (loan)

I have created a thread asking why are some players not interested in offers from better teams, but I didin't get any explanations. Here is an example of what I mean. Hope you can explain. "When I play as Everton, De Vrij is not interested in possible transfer, and he keep declinening contract negotiations, but when I play as Southampton, he is interested in the trasnfer . In my understanding Everton overall is the better team (a lil better) of the two. Could anyone explain why De Vrij isint interested in Toffies ?" Also I would like to add that more known, higher value players that are interested inEverton are not interested in Southampton.

Last edited:
Maybe De Vrij has a favoured person at southampton and none at Everton so thats why he is willing to go there.

I have created a thread asking why are some players not interested in offers from better teams, but I didin't get any explanations. Here is an example of what I mean. Hope you can explain. "When I play as Everton, De Vrij is not interested in possible transfer, and he keep declinening contract negotiations, but when I play as Southampton, he is interested in the trasnfer . In my understanding Everton overall is the better team (a lil better) of the two. Could anyone explain why De Vrij isint interested in Toffies ?" Also I would like to add that more known, higher value players that are interested inEverton are not interested in Southampton.

Ive seen your thread. All I can say is:

1. Look at the list of world clubs in your Everton save to see if really Everton are higher in terms of reputation than Southampton.
2. Look at the respective teams facilities - maybe Southampton's are better and he feels he'll develop better there.
3. Whats the respective league positions of the two teams at the crucial time? Is one (Saints) already in European Compos while the other isnt?
4. Look at De Vrij's personality and compare it with that of players you say are interested in Toffees and not in Saints? Also, any particular preferences De Vrij or the others have? ted19788's idea also should be looked at.
5. Buy Stefano Denswil instead, he's better.

I guess this is just a general questions thread? Didn't think this deserved it's own thread, and don't really need the answer that desperately, but still curious...

At the start of the season, the board give you your two or three options of what you want your expected position in the league to be, and how much money they will give you. Basically, I chose finish mid-table to be safe, and now going into February I'm coming 1st. In previous saves I occasionally get an option in January to re-select your aims... Is there anyway I can change my aims to finishing first and claim the extra wage budget?

I guess this is just a general questions thread? Didn't think this deserved it's own thread, and don't really need the answer that desperately, but still curious...

At the start of the season, the board give you your two or three options of what you want your expected position in the league to be, and how much money they will give you. Basically, I chose finish mid-table to be safe, and now going into February I'm coming 1st. In previous saves I occasionally get an option in January to re-select your aims... Is there anyway I can change my aims to finishing first and claim the extra wage budget?

Its a general questions thread, its an ideas thread, its a thread where I share stuff, its a thread with some funny stuff its whatever we make it mate.

As for your actual question, not unless you are offered it. But you can ask for more money from the board and if you re doing that well they ll give you ... . But imho its better not to change expectations and go for filling the competition slide in the confidence window instead (the more you exceed expectations the fuller it becomes.

Now UNCLE MAD needs YOUR help!

Where is the teamtalk/matchtalk post match feedback (from your assman) page?!!

Thanks ...

I have two questions. Unfortunately I'm not at my laptop so cannot include screen shots but will do my best in explaining the situation. Firstly after reading your posts I have changed my tactics half way through the season. This has caused the tactic familiarity bar to go down a lot which was expected so I have changed both match and general training to tactics. When I hover over the progress bar it shows me several sections and how familiar my players are with the areas of my tactics. Whiles most of them are full closing down is tiny. It uses the word awkward. Is there a way to help this specific area in training or will it go up with tactics training.

Second question: I am LFC and have been fiddling with a tactic for a while I am worried I'm not getting enough out of all my players. I have Sturridge as AF, Sterling as RW(a), Suarez as SS and Coutinho as IF(s). So 3 of the front 4 are set to attacking. Is this too many people doing the same thing?

Second question: I am LFC and have been fiddling with a tactic for a while I am worried I'm not getting enough out of all my players. I have Sturridge as AF, Sterling as RW(a), Suarez as SS and Coutinho as IF(s). So 3 of the front 4 are set to attacking. Is this too many people doing the same thing?

Can't reply with just that, it also depends on what your other players are doing. General presumption is to put all players on attack, if you want to play attacking soccer, or vice versa, which is just wrong - it'll just end up in you being creamed, caught out and what not. For any tactic, it is ideal to have a mixture all all roles, so that the link up play is good.

But for your attacking formation, it doesn't sound too overboard as long as your other players have complimentary roles. Since Sterling is an attacking winger, he'll have a tendency to drift to the center of the pitch in the attacking 3rd, so pair him with a complimentary FB role to provide width. I'd recommend having one central midfielder as Defend, and another as Support to link up play to your attack. The CM on Defence would also help if your fullbacks are attack-oriented. Would probably be nice if your CAM was on support duty to lay the through balls to your attacker, but that's more your preference.

If your current formation is enabling your team to do what you want them to do, go ahead with it.. Sometimes the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here too//

Thanks for the reply. If I wasnt paying attention to players I would have the AM as support or possible the stirker as DLF or CF support but I think it would take too much away from Suarez and Sturridges attacking qualities. I have Johnson as an attacking full back and Enrique as a CWB on either side to help with width and I use the 'look for the overlap' shout. I have a DLP as defend sitting in the DM position and a BBM ahead as support so feel I have enough variety there. I havent used it enough yet and I'm sure I'll see if its working or not with time. Thanks again.

I have two questions. Unfortunately I'm not at my laptop so cannot include screen shots but will do my best in explaining the situation. Firstly after reading your posts I have changed my tactics half way through the season. This has caused the tactic familiarity bar to go down a lot which was expected so I have changed both match and general training to tactics. When I hover over the progress bar it shows me several sections and how familiar my players are with the areas of my tactics. Whiles most of them are full closing down is tiny. It uses the word awkward. Is there a way to help this specific area in training or will it go up with tactics training.

1. Dont worry about the closing down issue. Keep training tactics but only match training. Perhaps in matches to balance the lack of closing down fluidity tell your team/players to press more for a while and then go back to "normal'. I wouldnt even do that if I were you.

2. Better to see your whole tactic/formation but at first glance it might be slightly OTT. But please come back posting a screenie so that we can discuss more.

On another issue, can you please tell me how to reach the match teamtalk feedback (from assman) screen?

Its a general questions thread, its an ideas thread, its a thread where I share stuff, its a thread with some funny stuff its whatever we make it mate.

As for your actual question, not unless you are offered it. But you can ask for more money from the board and if you re doing that well they ll give you ... . But imho its better not to change expectations and go for filling the competition slide in the confidence window instead (the more you exceed expectations the fuller it becomes.

Missed this reply at first for some reason, but got it now. Thanks for the help.

On another issue, can you please tell me how to reach the match teamtalk feedback (from assman) screen?

Was this what you wanted --> Assistant Manager Screen -> Reports -> Pep Talk Feedback.

Was this what you wanted --> Assistant Manager Screen -> Reports -> Pep Talk Feedback.

Thanks, but where is Assistant Manager Screen?! Got it now thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
What are the requirements for upgrading your club from semi-professional to professional, and how is it done?