Ask UNCLE MAD (UNCLE MAD'S BOX OF CHOCCY'S)

• Thread starter Thread starter MANUMAD
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 217
  • Views Views 83K
I have a huge problem with squad depth.

I am always excited to buy players and often I end up with a squad size of 35-40 players I like pre season.
I am hesitant and always think worse case scenario. What if 4 out of my 6 strikers are unavailable? lets keep 7 strikers in the squad total. What if 4 out of my 6 wingers are suspended or injured? etc

How do I realistically choose 25 players out of 35 or 40? Anything you can mention would be helpful.

Also I assume that those that pick 25 players might be forced occasionally to play a player slightly outside of his natural position. Regarding that matter who will play better?

a 3 star natural left full back left footed or
a 3.5 star natural right back who can also play left back right footed?

I have a huge problem with squad depth.

I am always excited to buy players and often I end up with a squad size of 35-40 players I like pre season.
I am hesitant and always think worse case scenario. What if 4 out of my 6 strikers are unavailable? lets keep 7 strikers in the squad total. What if 4 out of my 6 wingers are suspended or injured? etc

I have something in this thread warning against such behaviour(H). Thing is even if 4 out of 6 strikers are unavailable you should have utility players (either bought or trained to be adept in 3 positions).

How do I realistically choose 25 players out of 35 or 40? Anything you can mention would be helpful.

1. Depends which team you are. Top teams which are supposed to go after multiple trophies may need more than 25 players.
2. Even in England with the 25 player limit I usually have unregistered players who I use only for cup matches and/or CL/Europa League.
3. Also depends on your tactics. Do you play with one/two or three cfs for example?
4. Choose based on attributes and personality NOT stars who you will keep/use.

Also I assume that those that pick 25 players might be forced occasionally to play a player slightly outside of his natural position. Regarding that matter who will play better?

a 3 star natural left full back left footed or
a 3.5 star natural right back who can also play left back right footed?

1. If you read the stuff I say in this thread you ll see Im not against using players who are not notionally comfortable in one position.
2. Forget about the stats look at the attributes.
3. What do you want your left back to be doing tactically? If he's your crossing outlet then play the left footed guy for example.
4. You may even tweak the tactics slightly for the match changing the lb into a iwb and in that way you can use the right footed player.

What do you know about how agent ownership works mate?

Have started a BAP type story & have noticed that my agent owns a 45% stake in my in game representative.

I know absolutely nothing about it so am worried it may discourage teams from trying to sign me.

What do you know about how agent ownership works mate?

Have started a BAP type story & have noticed that my agent owns a 45% stake in my in game representative.

I know absolutely nothing about it so am worried it may discourage teams from trying to sign me.

Whats a BAP type story mate?

What do you mean by "game representative"?

Anyway I dont think AI controlled teams are discouraged by such matters. If they have the dosh and they like a player they ll go for him.

Whats a BAP type story mate?

What do you mean by "game representative"?

Anyway I dont think AI controlled teams are discouraged by such matters. If they have the dosh and they like a player they ll go for him.

This should answer your first 2 questions mate, as well as being a shameless piece self promotion ;)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...r-stories/292799-c-j-lippo-life-football.html

Thanks for the reply. I still have no idea what it actually means to have an agent own a % of me but I don't care as long as it doesn't affect transfer likelihood.

Those foreign noobs!

It turns out that Louis Van Gaal knew what he was doing all along. This wasn't a surprising thing to most of us who have at least temporary ownership of a brain, but it often seems that the English media doesn't have this luxury. For much of the season it has wanted to portray the Dutchman as anything from over-rated to over the hill, mad, simply no good or, must humiliating of all, worse than David Moyes. Poor Louis.

But this is symptomatic of how non-British managers are treated. Their lack of relationships within the English media mean they're fair game from day one for a kicking. They're only ever a handful of results away from 'couldn't a Brit have done better?'.
But my God, it's so old-fashioned, this idea that the foreign man is somehow suspected to be in his position falsely, that somehow it's PC gone mad and that a perfectly decent Englishman has been deprived of a job by pinko liberals.

No British manager with Van Gaal's record would have been treated like this. Moyes was excused being awful right up to the day he was sacked. Had Van Gaal been British, some degree of benefit of the doubt would have been offered when results and performances were not immediately stellar.

Indeed, British managers who have won nothing, or very little, are routinely vaunted as geniuses by a media always keen to over-laud the Brit and over-critique the foreign.

The way Van Gaal was treated for the last six months was as though he was from another planet, coming up with bonkers ideas about how to play football that were beyond reason. Had it been an Englishman, those same media critics would have painted this as progressive experimentation, but because the dude doing it is Dutch, it's whacky and shows he 'doesn't understand our game'.

Time and again we hear that foreign managers don't understand our game and that it somehow takes them by surprise. This is usually uttered by pundits who, because they know little of European football, think all Europeans know little of English football (except when they want to laud the Premier League as mega-popular - then they're keen to say how everyone watches it all over the world. Everyone except foreign managers, presumably).

We see this time and again. The overseas interloper is given a hard time immediately things don't go right, yet the Brit is given a free ride to the point where facts are presented to make them look better than they are. A couple of losses followed by a couple of wins will be portrayed as 'six points from the last two games' rather than six out of twelve. Tim Sherwood benefited hugely from this in his early days at Aston Villa, so much so that in some media quarters, it was being said that Spurs should never have got rid of him, that he was better than their current incumbent. No scrutiny of what each man has achieved as a manager would justify this. It's only because of nationality. Saturday's result at White Hart Lane will only fuel this sort of nonsense and will soon be offered up as conclusive proof of Sherwood's genius.

It genuinely seems to me that all but the most reactionary or xenophobic fan has no problem having a non-British manager. We live in exciting and fertile cross-cultural times, yet so many voices in football are stuck in a different era where foreigners are still looked upon as an exotic indulgence and as all pretty much the same. When Glenn Hoddle bemoans a club 'going foreign' (a classic Hoddlism) foreign is all one thing. Foreign is not British. That's it. There is no further distinction. Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp both do the same thing, referring to foreign managers as a group rather than as individuals as though they all think and behave the same.

Look at poor Manuel Pellegrini. He hasn't done that bad. He won the league last season. This year hasn't been so good and now he's routinely portrayed as a bit useless. But if Tim Sherwood had won the league with City last year, the punditocracy wouldn't have shut up about it yet. There is no way on earth that they'd be criticising him the way Pellegrini is criticised, a few months after that win. It'd be all exasperated exhortations that 'he needs more time' and 'he's won the league, Jeff'.

I do wonder if Alan Pardew's pitchside critique of the Chilean basically represents how some in the English media view him They really seem to want him to fail. They'd deny this, of course, but there is a joy in the failing overseas manager that there isn't when the plucky Brit is awful. When he played four in midfield against Barcelona, the strutting English media and ex-pros, who, for so long were wedded to 4-4-2 almost by patriotism, the same people who saw any other system as a fancy foreign idea, came out in shock and awe at this unprogressive, retrograde managerial decision, oblivious of the sides in Europe that recently or currently play such a formation with success. It was embarrassing in the same way your dad thinking Pearl Jam are a new band is embarrassing.

There is also a flip side to this quick contempt. An overseas manager who is successful is sometimes treated as though they are magicians. You'd think Jose Mourinho had access to some dark magic the way he is described almost mystically. At times you'd have thought Arsene Wenger was the intellectual equal of Einstein. This is all part of an attitude which can be crudely boiled down to this: British = Proper Football Man, Foreign = Weirdo.

While there are swathes of the football public who are as conservative and narrow as the press that feeds them, they are a diminishing element and consequently, the gap between a lot of the football media and many football consumers has never been culturally greater. Van Gaal's transformation from not-like-us oddball, to that most perennial and idiotic of titles, Dutch Master, is under way.

Soon, his talent will be sold to us as some kind of foreign voodoo, while the rest of us look on in slack-jawed astonishment.

You couldnt make this **** up if you tried!!! I know its the DAILY FAIL but ffs!

The Daily Mail's permanently outraged Richard Littlejohn has written a column bemoaning the fact that two Muslim Liverpool fans were photographed praying during a match at Anfield. The goal is gaping; there is no keeper; we simply cannot miss from here.

'This may be the first time that a late kick-off for the convenience of television has played havoc with the Muslim call to prayer.'

Highly unlikely, Richard. Devout Muslims pray five times a day at very specific times. In fact, at half-time on Sunday during the FA Cup clash with Aston Villa, some Muslims will undoubtedly pray at Wembley.

Most people would agree that labelling the photograph a #DISGRACE was an intemperate over-reaction. But this was a real 'Oi, Doris!' moment. You don't expect to stumble over Muslims praying in a stairwell at a football ground midway through a Cup tie.

Indeed you don't. But labelling it a #DISGRACE is not an 'intemperate overreaction', it's bigoted and completely unnecessary. Had Liverpool supporter Stephen Dodd tweeted 'Muslims praying at half-time at the match yesterday. #THATSUNUSUAL', we suspect he would not have been reported to the police.

Quite apart from the safety considerations, even those of us who believe people should be free to practise their religion of choice also believe there is a time and a place.

Indeed. And that time is determined by a complicated series of calculations based on your geographical location in relation to Mecca. That is what you meant, right, Richard?

How would the management have reacted if some devout Catholics had decided to stage a holy communion at half-time? Or the queue for the gents' was obstructed by a conga line of chanting Hare Krishnas?

They probably would not have reacted at all. Next?

What if a handful of Liverpool fans had turned up at the local mosque and started singing You'll Never Walk Alone in the middle of Friday prayers? Would their claim to be exercising their democratic right to celebrate their religion stop the Old Bill steaming in and nicking them for 'hate crime'?

Erm, we're pretty sure that Liverpool's FA Cup clash with Blackburn is not the equivalent of Friday prayers at a mosque; the Muslims praying at Anfield were not stopping anybody supporting Liverpool. Oh and those Muslims did not go to Anfield specifically to pray; they just happened to be there. And we're also pretty sure that there is no specific time when anybody needs to be singing You'll Never Walk Alone. And it's not actually a religion. My word, this is a steaming pile of horseshit.

What I'd like to ask him would be when, in his four decades of supporting Liverpool, he first started praying during games at Anfield? I may be wrong, but my guess would be that this is a fairly recent phenomenon.

The key word there is guess. But hey, don't let that stop you going on a rant about 'gelatine-free halal Pick'n'Mix counters in supermarkets'. Yes, really.

The game is awakening to cultural differences. At the League Cup Final in Cardiff a few years ago, they were selling balti pies at the Blackburn end, while knocking out over-priced smoked salmon bagels in the Spurs' section of the stadium. Someone must have told them Blackburn has one of Britain's biggest Asian populations and Tottenham has a large number of Jewish supporters. So no stereotyping there, then.

Yes, because only Muslims eat balti pies. Which is odd as the number of Muslims at football games is tiny and yet the balti pie is the most popular half-time snack at Premier League grounds. The greedy b***ards must be eating 40 or 50 apiece every game. It's a wonder they have time to pray.

Didn't it occur to Mr Bodi and Mr Bhula that if the kick-off at Anfield clashed with their religious obligations then perhaps the wisest course of action would simply be to give the game a miss?

Yes, they definitely should avoid going to the football in case they offend somebody intemperate with their rampant praying. In fact, why not just stay at home? That would be 'wisest'.

OK, so there were only two of them this time. But what if next season there's a dozen, or two dozen, or 200, all expecting the right to pray where they like? Where do you draw the line? At this rate, it won't be long before Muslim fans start demanding special prayer rooms at football grounds.

Two things: a) Muslim representation at football clubs increasing that dramatically seems highly unlikely. Wouldn't it be lovely, though? and b) Those special prayer rooms sound like an excellent idea. After all, it is largely the safety issue that bothers you, right?

This should answer your first 2 questions mate, as well as being a shameless piece self promotion ;)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...r-stories/292799-c-j-lippo-life-football.html

Thanks for the reply. I still have no idea what it actually means to have an agent own a % of me but I don't care as long as it doesn't affect transfer likelihood.

Think it means that when a club comes to try to buy a player that has an owner that owns say about 30% off him you will have to first buy the player off that club and then you will need to buy the 30% stake off the agent, think it is something along the lines like that. Also in some countries you can offer a percentage of a player to an agent for a certain amount of money but I haven't got into that before.

Think it means that when a club comes to try to buy a player that has an owner that owns say about 30% off him you will have to first buy the player off that club and then you will need to buy the 30% stake off the agent, think it is something along the lines like that. Also in some countries you can offer a percentage of a player to an agent for a certain amount of money but I haven't got into that before.

I think he knows that mate and his question was a bit more specific. Thanks anyway!

I was thinking about player attributes the other day and thought i would ask a question.

If an attribute is very high (17,18,19,20) does it actually have a negative effect?

I know that sounds a bit weird but i can explain myself haha.

I was just wondering, from the off can they have a negative impact if they are too high?

I was thinking about player attributes the other day and thought i would ask a question.

If an attribute is very high (17,18,19,20) does it actually have a negative effect?

I know that sounds a bit weird but i can explain myself haha.

I was just wondering, from the off can they have a negative impact if they are too high?

Depends on the attribute mate. Two examples (from the many I could list):

1. Too high eccentricity on GKs is negative.
2. Aggression around 12/13 is good for certain positions but if too high (ie 15 and above) then its negative.

The Chelsea/Mourinho cunundrum

Where has this modern demand for entertainment over success come from? Is catenaccio such a distant memory that is forgotten? If Chelsea's supporters are happy, Chelsea's players are happy, Chelsea's owner is happy and Chelsea's manager is happy, why on earth would they give a shuddering stuff what the neutral thinks of their style? This is football, not synchronised horse-dancing.

Of course Mourinho must die by the sword he lives by. A team defeated whilst playing with style and panache will perennially draw less criticism than a team defending its way to the same result. That seems to hark back to the hard-wired British respect for good sportsmanship, as if trying to attack is somehow a more valid strategy. "Oh unlucky old chap, at least you gave it a ruddy good go," is the cliché. Better to have tried and failed than to not have tried at all.

That only makes Mourinho's commitment to his principles all the more impressive. The Portuguese is risking ridicule, and yet time and again in the Premier League (and anywhere else he tried it) it has proved a successful tactic. Their results against the top five this season read: W3, D3, L0. Results against the same sides last season: W6, D2, L0. Anyone expecting Jose to change something that so palpably isn't broken is guilty of football delusion, not football purism.

So after the backlash, some balance:

1. Chelsea's current lead at the top constitutes the second-largest margin of victory in a decade and here are still six games left.
2. No team has scored more goals per game than Chelsea.
3. No team in the top six have conceded fewer goals than Chelsea.
4. No other team has remained unbeaten in the league against other top four teams.
5. No English team got further in the Champions League this season than Chelsea (this is not that impressive I know but its a fact).
6. No team had more nominations for the PFA Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year combined.
7. No team has converted a higher percentage of its chances than Chelsea.
8. Seven players have contributed 18 or more goals and assists combined in the Premier League this season. Three of them are Chelsea players.
9. Chelsea have won the only other major domestic trophy this season.

Those that expect Chelsea to change their tactics in the big games (unless it suits their need or desire) are the same ones trying to cheapen their fourth Premier League title. It's as worthwhile as buying a bicycle for a fish. If you don't like it, they don't care AND NOR SHOULD THEY!

The above pains me to admit seeing my beloved UTD coming up against it but its true ...

And another thing; for all our talk about domination, it took us until the 61st minute to have our first shot on target, and that from 20 yards by McNair. Yes we completed almost 400 passes more than Chelsea, but the reality - to anyone with unbiased eyes- is that we were comfortably held largely at arm's length.

Last edited:
Depends on the attribute mate. Two examples (from the many I could list):

1. Too high eccentricity on GKs is negative.
2. Aggression around 12/13 is good for certain positions but if too high (ie 15 and above) then its negative.

I was kind of thinking attributes like composure. I was thinking along the lines that if a players composure is so high it can lead them to becoming lackadaisical in certain situations such as playing a weaker team or against a defence that a striker thinks he is better than.
Flair if its so high that players a constantly trying to do something "spectacular" looking when instead the simple is more appropriate.
And pace and acceleration, if a player is so quick it may effect their ability to dribble effectively (theo walcott) and if they have poor balance too they can be knocked off the ball easily?

So im thinking how players attributes are balanced in conjunction with one another is more important?

1. Allan - has decent stats for an 18 yo but if you were really "bringing him through" you should have addressed his mentality which looks too low. Needs work but may make it yet. He needs 1 season of tutoring and then he must be sent on loan for a season to a club where he d play.

2. Roberto Pena looks like a god! He's already prem standard. Also doesnt seem to need any (more) tutoring. I'd increase his first touch to start with tho cos as it is now its too low and for a cb its dangerous.

3. Whitehead wont be great. At most he'll be a jack of all trades.

4. Ungaro seems at first glance to have almost made it. However his low concentration (and to an extent positioning) will make you wonder why a player with such high finishing etc misses all those sitters.

Also, you will find this very interesting:

Ajax – When Real Life Meets Football Manager – FM14 | SI Sports Centre

1. Allan - has decent stats for an 18 yo but if you were really "bringing him through" you should have addressed his mentality which looks too low. Needs work but may make it yet. He needs 1 season of tutoring and then he must be sent on loan for a season to a club where he d play.

2. Roberto Pena looks like a god! He's already prem standard. Also doesnt seem to need any (more) tutoring. I'd increase his first touch to start with tho cos as it is now its too low and for a cb its dangerous.

3. Whitehead wont be great. At most he'll be a jack of all trades.

4. Ungaro seems at first glance to have almost made it. However his low concentration (and to an extent positioning) will make you wonder why a player with such high finishing etc misses all those sitters.

Also, you will find this very interesting:

Ajax – When Real Life Meets Football Manager – FM14 | SI Sports Centre

thanks for the advice on this much appriciated

What attributes should I look for in an Attacking coach?

Off the top of my head:

1. Determination
2. Level of Discipline
3. Attack
+
Motivation (and man management)

Look at Thomas Hassler - 4* and cheap.

Back