Ask UNCLE MAD (UNCLE MAD'S BOX OF CHOCCY'S)

• Thread starter Thread starter MANUMAD
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 217
  • Views Views 83K
MANUMAD, going into my 8th season with portsmouth in the prem i have a great formation that works against everyone apart from the top 4 away. Thinking about setting up a 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 counter attacking formation. Any advice on player roles and player/team instructions?

I have a strong back 4 (wisdom and 3 regens), Kongolo, kasami, matic, cook for cm and some good regen wingers and strikers

New patch has me stumped as to tactics so far ...

Dont like counter mentality that much. Look at Cleon's ideas on THE SCHOOL OF THE DEFENSIVE ARTS maybe? SI Sports Centre | Home of FM Training and Tactics

Hi Manumad,

I've asked this question before in a different thread, but no-one replied, so thought I'd ask you, seeing as you have a great knowledge and advice of the game.

If I manage a team and there isn't a year for when the stadium has been built on the facilities page, does this prevent me expanding the stadium or building a new one in the future?

Many Thanks.

a dynamic midfielder is like a box to box midfielder.
i like the presure a bwm gives.
gets a lot of interceptions. and if you get one with a good longshot he will blast in quite a few

Hi Manumad,

I've asked this question before in a different thread, but no-one replied, so thought I'd ask you, seeing as you have a great knowledge and advice of the game.

If I manage a team and there isn't a year for when the stadium has been built on the facilities page, does this prevent me expanding the stadium or building a new one in the future?

Many Thanks.

I honestly dont know mate. But i dont think so. I think stadium building is directly linked with fan base. If your fan base is too big and doesnt fit in the stadium then its likely to be expanded or a new one be built.

a dynamic midfielder is like a box to box midfielder.
i like the presure a bwm gives.
gets a lot of interceptions. and if you get one with a good longshot he will blast in quite a few

I also like bwms ...

So are you using a bbm and a bwm? Cant see why that wont work reasonably well - provided you re comfortable with the defence not having a defensive screen in front of them

I honestly dont know mate. But i dont think so. I think stadium building is directly linked with fan base. If your fan base is too big and doesnt fit in the stadium then its likely to be expanded or a new one be built.

Thank you, appreciate your help. Here's something else you could maybe help me with if you don't mind..........

Didnt know if you had any suggestions to the below, need to get a buzz back for the game, as got bored after 2/3 seasons.

Preferred Country/Countries: In Europe, but NOT England, Germany, Italy, France or Spain. Would like a team in a country where I can look to over take the dominant top clubs in the league and become a force throughout Europe and attempt to lead them to the top of the club rankings table.

Preferred League/Leagues: Top league or division below (must have potential to get promoted). Ideally a team in a league that can attract top players and hasn't had much domestic or European success. Possibly a team in a country that has never won the European cup/European champions league.

Preferred Budget/Financial State: Any

Squad/Team Strength: Any - Looking to build my own legacy, where I have potential to build a squad of well known players, highly rated young players and develop my own youth/regen players.

Would also like to build a top class stadium and build top of the range training facilities during my reign.

Am open to all suggestions, look forward to them.

Many Thanks,

Andy

Preferred Country/Countries: In Europe, but NOT England, Germany, Italy, France or Spain. Would like a team in a country where I can look to over take the dominant top clubs in the league and become a force throughout Europe and attempt to lead them to the top of the club rankings table.

Preferred League/Leagues: Top league or division below (must have potential to get promoted). Ideally a team in a league that can attract top players and hasn't had much domestic or European success. Possibly a team in a country that has never won the European cup/European champions league.

Preferred Budget/Financial State: Any

Squad/Team Strength: Any - Looking to build my own legacy, where I have potential to build a squad of well known players, highly rated young players and develop my own youth/regen players.

Would also like to build a top class stadium and build top of the range training facilities during my reign.

Am open to all suggestions, look forward to them.

Many Thanks,

Andy

Ok!

One of my most enjoyable saves in FM15 is Midtyland in Denmark - reasons for suggesting:

1. Has a pretty decent set up to start with which can be used as a springboard for future consistent success.
2. A number of class young players - PIONE SISTO (first thing to do is to renew his contract to have one WITHOUT a release clause), SVIATCHENKO (ditto) and BANGAARD who are bona fide wonderkids
3. A LOT of quality youngsters with huge potential to be moulded by you.
4. Decent finances to enable you eg to continue what they seem to be doing: recruit cheaply mainly from Africa and develop players.
5. Not the best team in the league - Brondby and Copenhagen are theoretically better. So there is a challenge to impose yourself in the league also.
6. Not too many matches per season.

Otherwise: GRASSHOPPERS (Switzerland) - another lovely save Ive had/Sassuolo (I know you said no Italy but they re lovely)/Steaua Bucharest or the bigger challenge of Dynamo Bucharest/Metalist or Dnipro in UKRAINE. Moneyd teams but still have to overcome the behemoths that are SHAKTAR and D KIEV

if set the bwm to only defend and he isn't allowed to go up the pitch to far.
the bbm is nice but tiers quickly. but haven't realy found a good other option for it at the moment.
but only told him not to get into the 16 yard box because the stricker and the advanced playmaker have attacking duties.
end get in this area.
a bbm with a good longshots would be nice but aren't that much who can.
is there any one who has succes with long shots.
and not 2 out of 10 are some who get blasted in?

if set the bwm to only defend and he isn't allowed to go up the pitch to far.
the bbm is nice but tiers quickly. but haven't realy found a good other option for it at the moment.
but only told him not to get into the 16 yard box because the stricker and the advanced playmaker have attacking duties.
end get in this area.
a bbm with a good longshots would be nice but aren't that much who can.
is there any one who has succes with long shots.
and not 2 out of 10 are some who get blasted in?

Schneiderlin maybe?

This is what Andysams10 pmed me:

Hi Mate,

Thank you for your reply on your thread, really appreciate it.

Thought I'd message here as don't want to clog up your thread with us chatting.

I really like the idea of FC Midtyland. Were you able to sign some top players during your reign? Only ask, as I'd love to build a team within a nation where the top players can come too, e.g like what's happening in England, Spain. So I can help improve the nations league ranking, from 3 stars upwards for example and along the way help the national team too.

Only reservation I have is that the Danish national team is pretty well set up for success, or at least able to compete in the Euros and World Cup. As you can hopefully tell, I'm keen on becoming manager of a national side, alongside a team domestically where I can be the driving force in both areas.

I know I'm asking a lot probably, but have you any other suggestions for me? Like I mentioned, love the Midtyland idea, just feel Denmark is a well established national team.

Would appreciate any ideas you may have that you can suggest to help me possibly achieve on the International and Domestic scene with a country that has the potential for what I'm looking for.

Cheers, Andy.

P.S If you feel I'm being unrealistic, just say and I'll give the Midtyland challenge a whirl. Enjoy getting help from people like yourself to get me the FM crave I've been missing.

1. Midtyland is unreservedly recommended mate as you would be able to do a number of things: bring in only African youngers to keep it close to what they do irl OR Set up a youth training/nurturing system like they do in Ajax - see here for guidance Ajax - When Real Life Meets Football Manager - FM14 etc

2. Yes I brought in a number of class players in the 4 seasons Ive played so far.

3. The Denmark national team is not that good mate. Needs some work to really compete.

4. Other pairs from those mentioned: Grasshoppers/Switzerland - Dynamo Bucharest/Romania

5. Or try something completely different: Reawaken Botafogo in Brazil (in the 2nd division in new patch) - or Jeonbuk in Korea with Korean national team

Wow! Just noticed this thread passed 20000 views! Lovely! Thank you ...

This is what Andysams10 pmed me:

Hi Mate,

Thank you for your reply on your thread, really appreciate it.

Thought I'd message here as don't want to clog up your thread with us chatting.

I really like the idea of FC Midtyland. Were you able to sign some top players during your reign? Only ask, as I'd love to build a team within a nation where the top players can come too, e.g like what's happening in England, Spain. So I can help improve the nations league ranking, from 3 stars upwards for example and along the way help the national team too.

Only reservation I have is that the Danish national team is pretty well set up for success, or at least able to compete in the Euros and World Cup. As you can hopefully tell, I'm keen on becoming manager of a national side, alongside a team domestically where I can be the driving force in both areas.

I know I'm asking a lot probably, but have you any other suggestions for me? Like I mentioned, love the Midtyland idea, just feel Denmark is a well established national team.

Would appreciate any ideas you may have that you can suggest to help me possibly achieve on the International and Domestic scene with a country that has the potential for what I'm looking for.

Cheers, Andy.

P.S If you feel I'm being unrealistic, just say and I'll give the Midtyland challenge a whirl. Enjoy getting help from people like yourself to get me the FM crave I've been missing.

1. Midtyland is unreservedly recommended mate as you would be able to do a number of things: bring in only African youngers to keep it close to what they do irl OR Set up a youth training/nurturing system like they do in Ajax - see here for guidance Ajax - When Real Life Meets Football Manager - FM14 etc

2. Yes I brought in a number of class players in the 4 seasons Ive played so far.

3. The Denmark national team is not that good mate. Needs some work to really compete.

4. Other pairs from those mentioned: Grasshoppers/Switzerland - Dynamo Bucharest/Romania

5. Or try something completely different: Reawaken Botafogo in Brazil (in the 2nd division in new patch) - or Jeonbuk in Korea with Korean national team

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I'm going to load up Midtyland, Dinamo Buc and have a trial run with both before deciding, as they both appeal to me. Also, may look at Jeonbuk too, never ventured outside of Europe so that could be tempting.

Cheers

You could also try - Maribor/Slovenia or Hajduk/Croatia

Thanks mate, Maribor sound interesting, will have a look. I do like the unusual countries that many don't seem to play and then try to create my own legacy with that team and build something special. But I like doing it where I can buy some well known players, along with some young stars, then slowly develop my own youth/regen players, which in turn help develop NT.

Thanks mate, Maribor sound interesting, will have a look. I do like the unusual countries that many don't seem to play and then try to create my own legacy with that team and build something special. But I like doing it where I can buy some well known players, along with some young stars, then slowly develop my own youth/regen players, which in turn help develop NT.

I love unusual countries also ...

I think I'm swaying towards Slovenia, and rather than Maribor, I'm looking at Olimpija. They play in the capital and are fierce rivals of Maribor, and an added challenge is for me to over take and beat Maribor's 12 title wins so far.

Henry from Eastbourne ... so MUCH to answer for!

Anatomy of A Transfer Rumour
When the Daily Mail's Spanish football expert Pete Jenson was asked on Monday afternoon by Henry from Eastbourne (could a Henry from Eastbourne read anything other than the Daily Mail?) during his El Clasico Q and A on MailOnline about the futures of Ronaldo and Gareth Bale, he answered:

"A lot depends on who makes a move and on how much they are willing to pay. If a club bid £90million for Bale or £65m for Ronaldo (bearing in mind he is 30), I think Real Madrid would consider it."

File under 'informed opinion'.

By Monday evening it was on the Daily Express website with the headline 'Manchester United can re-sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid for £65m'.

By Wednesday morning, it's TRENDING NOW on Metro. The headline? 'Manchester United 'clear to seal Cristiano Ronaldo transfer for just £65m''. And by now Manchester United are in 'pole position'.

Henry from Eastbourne has a lot to answer for.

After a while trialing a few teams and countries, I think I've decided on Bulgaria. Will be Lokomotiv Sofia, rivals to CSKA Sofia and am going to try and beat their 32 title wins, we currently have 4. Also, a good challenge that my wage cap is 60% of my turnover, so will force me to look at youth prospects, sign young stars (hopefully) and train them up to sell on for large fees and if I can bring in that money I can begin to attract some well known star players to play in Bulgaria, in the hope I can win the Champions League one day. Plus, improving the NT, is attractive too and maybe I could unearth the next Stoichkov or Berbatov along the way!!

Just hope the wage cap won't hinder my chances to offer good wages to attract better players, what do you think?

Cheers

After a while trialing a few teams and countries, I think I've decided on Bulgaria. Will be Lokomotiv Sofia, rivals to CSKA Sofia and am going to try and beat their 32 title wins, we currently have 4. Also, a good challenge that my wage cap is 60% of my turnover, so will force me to look at youth prospects, sign young stars (hopefully) and train them up to sell on for large fees and if I can bring in that money I can begin to attract some well known star players to play in Bulgaria, in the hope I can win the Champions League one day. Plus, improving the NT, is attractive too and maybe I could unearth the next Stoichkov or Berbatov along the way!!

Just hope the wage cap won't hinder my chances to offer good wages to attract better players, what do you think?

Good idea. Been thinking about Bulgaria too among other options for a future save.

Look at people like Guarderas/Robert Piris (who can be yours for less than 100k) and especially the amazing Vieux Sane (only 85k for a player with stats of players worth 10 times as much).

Good idea. Been thinking about Bulgaria too among other options for a future save.

Look at people like Guarderas/Robert Piris (who can be yours for less than 100k) and especially the amazing Vieux Sane (only 85k for a player with stats of players worth 10 times as much).

Thanks mate for the advice, will check them out. I did a Bulgarian save on FM 14 and loved it, but in season 3/4 found it difficult to sign quality players due to wage restrictions (60% of turnover is wage cap), so guess more success in Europe and money brought in from player sales will help increase my wage budget throughout the seasons?

Bulgaria do have some top young players too, so hopefully get a crack at NT, to help bring some success on the international stage too.

Last edited:
Back