coolmcool

Reaction score
Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1036418

So in previous years i loved KLIPPYBO's Bilbao stories and as he hasnt been around recently i thought i would take up the mantle and have a go.
I have done something similar in recent years playing as Barcelona and not signing anyone for the club and trying to promote the youth from within.

This will be the same sort of plan i am going to use for this save especially as we can only sign players from the Basque region an area partly in Spain and a little in France so it shall be all the harder.
One of KLIPPYBO's main tactics though was bringing in 16 year old Spaniards who could then be classed as Basque Nationality and this is definitely the way to go

View attachment 165479

Top level Basque players include Ander Herrera, Antoine Griezmann, Illarmendi, Llorente, Ruffier and Javi Martinez all players i shall look to bring in over the next few years

And so it begins

View attachment 165477

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1036581

A poor start to my life as manager as i find our that key player Iker Muniain is out for 6 months!

View attachment 165333

Bilbao are one of the most decorated clubs in Spanish History

View attachment 165332

Our Key 3 Players for the Season Ahead

Aymeric Laporte - DC

View attachment 165331

Inaki Williams - AMRLC

View attachment 165330

Mikel San Jose - DC/CM

View attachment 165329

Telmo Zarra is a Legend for not just Bilbao but the whole Spanish and his goalscoring record is one of the records im looking to beat hopefully with some wonder regen!

View attachment 165328

We get a pretty easy draw to start our Europa League campaign facing Charleroi from Belgian

View attachment 165326

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1036745

August 2015

Starting 11 and Tactic

View attachment 165192

So i have chosen to keep the same tactic i used for my Leeds save as we are not blessed with many strikers but have very good wingers and central midfielders, wingers Susaeta and Inaki Williams will be key for the season ahead and have both been the subject of bids already this summer.
Aduriz is our main goal threat but he is 34 years old! He actually just got called up in real life for Spain and scored last night so maybe he will be able to stay on for a few more seasons!

Europa League 3rd Qualifying rnd 1st leg
Charleroi 0 - Athletic 1

View attachment 165191

Old man Aduriz gets the only goal of the game in a match were we should have had a shed load of goals

Europa League 3rd Qualifying Rnd 2nd Leg
Athletic 4 - Charleroi 0

View attachment 165190

Thats more like it! Inaki Williams nets a brace before Aduriz nets his second goal of the season, it got even better in the second half with Susaeta getting in on the goalscoring act too.

We face Stromsgodset in the Europa League Playoffs

View attachment 165186

So we are predicted to finish 6th this season which i think is just about right, a good cup run domestically and in Europe will be the aim this season whilst i think we will struggle to break into the top 4 this season

View attachment 165185

Super Cup Final 1st Leg
Athletic 1 - Barcelona 0

View attachment 165184

Thats right your eyes are not deceiving you we beat Barcelona! Gomez came off the bench in place of Susaeta with 20 minutes to go and score the winner just moments later

Super Cup Final 2nd Leg
Barcelona 1 - Athletic 1

View attachment 165183

Neymar equalized for them with quarter of an hour to go but that man Gomez scored yet again after coming off the bench he got the goal in the exact same minute 76th that he did in the previous game!

Well i did not expect to be picking up Silverware already!

View attachment 165182

Europa League Playoffs 1st Leg
Stromsgodset 1 - Athletic 2

View attachment 165181

Aduriz put us ahead in the first half before that man Gomez netted his 3rd goal in a row after coming off the bench, maybe i should give him a start soon? Or maybe the super sub role suits him, they got a very late consolation goal which has given us a tougher tie in the second leg.

Athletic 0 - Barcelona 3

View attachment 165180

All is back to normal in Spain as Barcelona comfortably dispatched of us whilst Gomez started his first game for us and had a torrid time, Super sub it is

Europa League Playoffs 2nd Leg
Athletic 4 - Stromsgodset 2

View attachment 165179

Aduriz netted twice for us in a back and forth match where we took the lead before they then took the lead back despite barely having a shot all game. We then had central midfielder Gurpegi come off the bench to put us into the lead before Gomez also netted after coming on back in his rightful role as super sub

We get draw in a very favourable Europa League Group

View attachment 165178

Eibar 3 - Athletic 5

View attachment 165177

This was another back and forth game with the only difference being we had the slightly better finishers as my attacking trio of Susaeta, Williams and Garcia all scored along with Aduriz getting a brace in our first league win of the season.

Nobody Spends Big in the Spanish Summer Transfer Window

View attachment 165176

League Table

View attachment 165175

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1036764

September 2015

Athletic 2 - Getafe 0

View attachment 165174

A very impressive display in the league in this match with my wingers both getting goals around the half hour mark to seal the victory.

Europa League Groups
Ast Tripolis 0 - Athletic 5

View attachment 165173

A brilliant way to get the Group stages going smashing 5 past Tripolis with Aduriz and his replacement both scoring either side of a Raul Garcia Hattrick.

Villareal 0 - Athletic 2

View attachment 165172

Another 2-0 win in the league with Aduriz putting us ahead before Soldado missed a penalty for them on the stroke of half time. We kicked on in the second half and it didnt take long for Raul Garcia to seal the win with the second goal.

Athletic 1 - Real Madrid 4

View attachment 165171

We were always behind in this game but we were giving them problems for the first hour of the game especially when one of our subs got a goal back but Ronaldo put us to the sword late on snatching a Hattrick and inflating the scoreline.

Real Sociedad 1 - Athletic 2

View attachment 165170

AMC Raul Garcia nets another goal before sub Sabin made it 2-0 around the hour mark, they got one goal back almost immediately but it wasnt enough to start a comeback and we picked up another 3 points in the league .

League Table

View attachment 165169

In 6th place so far around where we hope to finish come the end of the season our recent league form has been superb with 3 wins this month and our only dropped points in the league so far to Real Madrid and Barcelona​

I'm not a big fan of Athletic in real life, but I actually like to see FM saves with Atheltic.
The reason? Simple: Athletic's transfer restrictions are so heavy that the longer the save goes on the more you end up relying on your own academy... and in the end it pretty much becomes an endogamic challenge (and I love those).

The team is performing really good so far (defeats against Barcelona and Madrid are pretty much mandatory at this point sadly...) and RNG sure blessed you in the Europa League draw.
Take a look at Mikel Merino (Osasuna) as he could prove a useful addition if you need more people in the midfield.

Good luck with your challenge.

Good start, 2 losses to Barca and Real isn't all that bad and you've already picked up some surprising silverware! Keep it up!

I'm not a big fan of Athletic in real life, but I actually like to see FM saves with Atheltic.
The reason? Simple: Athletic's transfer restrictions are so heavy that the longer the save goes on the more you end up relying on your own academy... and in the end it pretty much becomes an endogamic challenge (and I love those).

The team is performing really good so far (defeats against Barcelona and Madrid are pretty much mandatory at this point sadly...) and RNG sure blessed you in the Europa League draw.
Take a look at Mikel Merino (Osasuna) as he could prove a useful addition if you need more people in the midfield.

Good luck with your challenge.
Thanks mate,ive been pleased with our start to the season too, will check our Merino in a moment, i like the sound of the save getting more challenging as with my recent leeds save as soon as you start dominating the league it becomes mundane. Dont think that will be very easy with real and barca
Good start, 2 losses to Barca and Real isn't all that bad and you've already picked up some surprising silverware! Keep it up!
Thanks mate, i was shocked about sneaking the cup win too!

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1036780

October 2015

Europa League Groups
Athletic 2 - Steaua 1

View attachment 165159

They actually scored first just 4 minutes into the match but it didnt take long for winger Inaki Williams to equalize before ageing superstar Aduriz netted another European goal.

Athletic 0 - Valencia 2

View attachment 165158

This was actually a pretty even game but it was after they had gone 2-0 up inside 10 minutes before it got even, we dont seem to match up well with the big boys in the league.

Deportivo 2 - Athletic 3

View attachment 165157

Aduriz nets inside a minute before Raul Garcia made it 2-0 before they had even got going, they got one back not long after but Aduriz grabbed his second goal in the second half before Deportivo netted a mere consolation.

Europa League Groups
Zurich 1 - Athletic 2

View attachment 165156

So Aduriz was missing through injury and his replacement Raul Garcia got injured too after we went 1-0 down, his replacement Viguera netted within 2 minutes of coming off the bench with another sub central midfielder Mikel Rico getting the winner.

Raul Garcia out for a Month

View attachment 165155

Athletic 0 - Sporting 0

View attachment 165154

Having a third choice striker start this match due to injuries really showed as we had twice as many chances as Sporting but just couldnt find the back of the net.

Real Betis 1 - Athletic 2

View attachment 165152

Aduriz is back from injury but had an absolute shocker of a match and we went 1-0 down around half an hour in. Inaki Williams managed to equalize just before half time and then sub Sabin went on to grab a very late winner.

League Table

View attachment 165151

Still in 6th place with 19 points from our opening 10 games whilst At Madrid are already fallen behind the main pack for the European places

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1037135

November 2015

Europa League Groups
Athletic 3 - 2 Zurich

View attachment 164850

3-0 up early on thanks to a very strong start mainly due to Oscar De Marcos one of the most versatile players around able to go from RB to AMC, they got two goals back but were already through so its understandable we would grow lazy a little.

We make the Knockout rounds

View attachment 164849

A brilliant start to life with Athletic Bilbao as we win 15 of our opening 20 games, over half have been easy European games but a wins a win!

View attachment 164848

Athletic 4 - Espanyol 2

View attachment 164847

This was a real back and forth game in the first half as we come from behind twice to go in at half time level but we turned it up a notch in the second half with Old Man Aduriz netting a second half brace

Granada 1 - Athletic 2

View attachment 164846

We continue our impressive league form as winger Susaeta nets the first goal during his man of the match display before AMC Raul Garcia grabbed the second from the penalty spot.

Europa League Groups
Athletic 2 - Ast Tripolis 1

View attachment 164844

So with top spot in the group already secured i made several changes to the first team including our Gk but it was one of the remaining players who made the difference with Raul Garcia netting an early brace before all they could manage was a late consolation goal.

Rayo 0 - Athletic 1

View attachment 164836

Our good league form continues as Sabin nets the only goal of the game just 4 minutes after coming off the bench to secure all 3 points.

League Table

View attachment 164835

Flying high in 4th spot the final Champions League spot only a dream at the moment that could become a reality, were just 2 points off second placed Real Madrid too.​

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1037263

December 2015

Spanish Cup 4th Rnd 1st Leg
Guijuelo 0 - Athletic 2

View attachment 164747

So for this cup match 10 out of our starting 11 was changed with only the keeper staying in the side, Winger Sabin had a go playing in the AMC role and he made the most of it with 2 goals to seal the victory

Athletic 2 - Malaga 0

View attachment 164739

With the first team well rested we comfortably dispatch of Malaga with Susaeta netting early on before Raul Garcia grabbed the second with around quarter of an hour to go.

Europa League Groups
FC Steaua 2 - Athletic 4

View attachment 164738

The scoreline makes it look like an easier match than it was as we come from behind twice including equalizing in the same minute they went ahead before we kicked on late on as they got tired with Susaeta and Garcia both netting in the last 5 minutes.

Top our Europa League group with 6 wins from 6

View attachment 164737

Atletico Madrid 4 - Athletic Bilbao 2

View attachment 164736

How could a fellow basque player in Antoine Griezmann do this to us? He utterly dismantled us before we could even get going with a first half Hattrick.

We draw Rubin Kazan in the Europa League 1st Knockout rnd

View attachment 164735

Spanish Cup 4th Rnd 2nd Leg
Athletic 2 - Guijuelo 0

View attachment 164734

Another complete change of the outfield team and Sabin nets yet again whilst backup striker Viguera grabbed the other goal, we really should have scored a load more but struggled in front of goal.

So we go from a poor team to one of the best all within one round as we face Real Madrid in the Spanish Cup 5th rnd

View attachment 164733

Athletic 2 - Levante 0

View attachment 164732

Susaeta nets twice again to seal all 3 points in a man of the match display, im getting a little worried about his brilliant form as the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham are supposedly keen on bringing him in during the Winter Window.

I sign a 2 year contract extension

View attachment 164731

Celta 3 - Athletic 2

View attachment 164730

A poor way to end the year as we come from behind twice with Aspas netting twice for them and Inaki Williams getting both goals back before centre back Laporte netted an own goal to win it for Celta just a minute after we had equalized, they had a player sent off a few minutes later but we could not capitalise on the extra man.

League Table

View attachment 164729

Currently in 3rd place and loving life as the Bilbao boss we are just 2 points clear of 4th and 5th place but we have not got to be aiming for a place in the Champions League next season and a good run in the Europa League​

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1037297

January 2016

When i first saw this headline i thought that half the team was going to break away from us and take some of the name with it but its just a player called Bilbao playing for Bilbao how confusing

View attachment 164722

Athletic 3 - Las Palmas 3

View attachment 164721

Another poor result to start the new year as we struggle to a 3-3 draw with lowly Las Palmas who at one point were 3-1 up with quarter of an hour to go before sub striker Viguera got one back and then centre back San Jose netted a late penalty

Spanish Cup 5th Rnd 1st Leg
Athletic 2 - Real Madrid 2

View attachment 164720

A much better game for us but again only a draw and i doubt we will go on to beat Real Madrid at their place, we actually took the lead twice in this match but could not hold on to lead.

Sevilla 3 - Athletic 0

View attachment 164719

Sevilla one of our main rivals for that final Champions League spot show off the gulf in class still between the two sides and our indifferent form as they comfortably beat us 3-0.

Spanish Cup 5th Rnd 2nd Leg
Real Madrid 3 - Athletic 0

View attachment 164718

Our Cup dreams were all over inside half an hour as Real Madrid easily see us off on their home turf with a 3-0 win.

Barcelona 1 - Athletic 2

View attachment 164717

We totally throw the form book out of the window as we beat Barcelona 2-1 after coming from behind early on Aduriz and then Laporte sealed the win all before 20 minutes had gone.

We sell one of our fringe defenders for just under £4Million

View attachment 164715

Athletic 3 - Eibar 2

View attachment 164714

Our revival continues as we come from behind to just about sneak a win thanks to our wingers Susaeta and Williams.

The Winter Transfer Window in Spain was more about players leaving than ones being brought in

View attachment 164711

Getafe 1 - Athletic 3

View attachment 164710

3 wins in a row in the league as we finally have a much easier time in a match with 3 goals all coming just before half time, Mikel Rico got the third goal and has been in fine form in recent weeks i dont think he was anywhere near the first team at the start of the season.

League Table

View attachment 164708

Flying high in second place after those 3 wins in a row including the Barcelona win and just 3 points off top spot, Barcelona due have 2 games on hand on everyone around them and could easily jump back above us.
We may be in second at the moment but we face both Valencia and Real Madrid away from home in the league in the next month

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1037571

February 2016

Athletic 3 - Villareal 0

View attachment 164501

It was all over inside half an hour with both Wingers netting from knock ons by Aduriz either side of Laporte netting from a corner.

Real Madrid 5 - Athletic 0

View attachment 164500

What did we ever do to you Benzema? We had a pretty even match in terms of possession but were shocking in front of goal whilst it seemed like every shot they took went in.

Europa League 1st Knockout rnd 1st leg
Rubin 0 - Athletic 4

View attachment 164499

Aduriz continues his amazing goalscoring form in Europe with another Hattrick to take his tally in the Europa League and Qualifiers to 11.

Athletic 1 - Real Sociedad 1

View attachment 164498

This was a real poor result against a struggling Real Sociedad side, we took the lead early on through Aduriz but it was all level by half time and not even my super subs could make a difference to the end scoreline.

Europa League 1st Knockout rnd 2nd Leg
Athletic 2 - Rubin 0

View attachment 164497

Aduriz nets twice more to see us go flying into the next round after a 6-0 on aggregate win.

We will face French side Lyon in the next round of the Europa League

View attachment 164496

Valencia 2 - Athletic 1

View attachment 164495

A poor way to end the month as we lose to Valencia in another game where the difference was the finishing.

League Table

View attachment 164494

Down into 4th place now and 9 points off top spot and after beating us in the last match Valencia are just 3 points behind us now in the race for the Champions League​

Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 1037705

March 2016

Athletic 3 - Deportivo 0

View attachment 164370

Raul Garcia netted twice along with Susaeta getting the other goal whilst winger Inaki Williams got two assists in a decent game which was pretty even overall just our finishing was on point.

Sporting 0 - Athletic 2

View attachment 164368

Wingers Susaeta and Williams settled this one early whilst both of them are now well into double figures goalwise for the season

Europa League 2nd Knockout rnd 1st Leg
Lyon 3 - Athletic 1

View attachment 164358

Lacazette dismantles us in France whilst our key players like Aduriz have a torrid night, at least his replacement Viguera netted a late consolation goal.

Athletic 4 - Real Betis 2

View attachment 164352

First half was a pretty even game with both sides getting a couple of goals a piece before they had a player sent off early in the second half which changed the game as we continued on to score twice more and win the match.

My favourite part of the year was finally upon us and i liked the look of two of the youth intake players who could one day make the first team squad

Jorge Bilbao - DC

View attachment 164351

Javier Herrera - CM

View attachment 164350

Europa League 2nd Knockout rnd 2nd Leg
Athletic 0 - Lyon 0

View attachment 164349

A bore draw was a sad way to end our massive 14 game run in the Europa League from Qualifying, to the groups and then onto the knockout stages

Espanyol 1 - Athletic 4

View attachment 164347

Chances and possession were basically the same in this match but again our finishing was much better, it was nice to see Muniain get his first goal for the club since returning from his 7 month injury layoff.

16 Year old Jorge Bilbao makes his debut

View attachment 164345

Jorge Bilbao becomes Athletic's Youngest ever Player

View attachment 164344

League Table

View attachment 164343

Flying high in 3rd place with just 8 games to go and only 3 points behind top spot Barcelona, i very much doubt we can win the Title but its nice to be so close in our first season. Messi has missed a fair few months of the season injured and Neymar has been poor too.

I do enjoy Bilbao saves and their Basque rule yet very rarely, if ever do I play with them! Maybe at some point this year I will. Shame about the Lyon result however fairing well in the league

I do enjoy Bilbao saves and their Basque rule yet very rarely, if ever do I play with them! Maybe at some point this year I will. Shame about the Lyon result however fairing well in the league
Yeah thanks mate, was gutted about the lyon result especially as we had been so good in the league especially against the big teams

Brilliant first season so far mate aduriz has been banging the goals in for his age!