Barcelona - The Catalan Club

• Thread starter Thread starter Tobe
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 16K
I also like the way you are always focusing your team on building up your younger players and you still manage to get the results :)

I also like the way you are always focusing your team on building up your younger players and you still manage to get the results :)

Cheers the way I see it is that I can get 2-3 great seasons out of playing Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Villa Etc constantly but I need to get my youngsters involved earlier. I have had bad experiences with loaning players as their stats never improve as much as in house training and first team experience. I use my youngsters in games I think we should win comfortably and when I know we're on for the win. I want Andersen to get a goal though and need a young full back who can play on both sides. Any suggestions!

Sime Vrsaljko is a quality RB, he can play at left back but not as well. I suppose you need a decent left back more than anything with Barca so maybe Digne, Criscito or Fabio/Rafael?

Sime Vrsaljko is a quality RB, he can play at left back but not as well. I suppose you need a decent left back more than anything with Barca so maybe Digne, Criscito or Fabio/Rafael?

Good plan, I may just Get Jordi Alba and spend big for LB I got Femenia actually for RB

Great story! Love how you bring on the youngsters! Defo a follow!

Absolutely amazing mate :'(

I have just done a simple season by season that is so basic (yet mentally long)...

There has been serious effort on this, it is incredible!!!

Please have a look @ my threads which have a few players that have been brilliant for me and tactics I am strict to which have brought me a lot of success

Carry on living the dream mate!!!

Absolutely amazing mate :'(

I have just done a simple season by season that is so basic (yet mentally long)...

There has been serious effort on this, it is incredible!!!

Please have a look @ my threads which have a few players that have been brilliant for me and tactics I am strict to which have brought me a lot of success

Carry on living the dream mate!!!

Thanks mate. Yeah it is hard and takes a while. I'll have a peek at your threads now bud.

October 2011

• [*=center]Barcelona Draw Sant Andreu in Copa Del Rey 4th Round
    [*=center]David Villa, Gerard Piqué, Javier Mascherano and Iker Muniain return from Injuries
    [*=center]Barcelona experience a big dip in form
    [*=center]Real Madrid climb back up the table

Pep Guardiola has endured a frustrating month and seen his team struggling for form. A loss against Marseille has really mixed up Group G in the European Champions League and Barcelona will need to win all of their remaining group games now to ensure certain qualification. The loss in midweek must have shaken the Blaugrana as they failed to win in their following fixture drawing one all with Sevilla four days later in La Liga.

There has been a few up's this month with the return of several important first team players such as, David Villa,
Gerard Piqué and Javier Mascherano. Barcelona were also handed potentially easy opponents in the Copa Del Rey fourth round, facing of against Sant Andreu from the lower leagues. Javier Mascherano has also stated that he feel's the club is making good use of the youngsters within the team and has tipped Cristian Tello and Issac Cuenca to be future stars.

scaled.php

------------------------------------------

1st October 2011
La Liga
Matchday 6
El Molinón
22:00

scaled.php

October started off with a routine trip to El Molinón where the Blaugrana showed that they can still win games when they aren't playing at their best and without important first team players in the squad. Alexis Sánchez was on fire all game and really looked the business linking up the play from the defence to attack. He scored in the twenty-second minute with a tap in but looked happy to grab his goal .

Sporting equalised a little over a minute into the second half and started to edge their way back into the game. Barcelona were starting to lose their foothold in the match and were now looking like they could lose the bout. It was Messi who secured the points as he was able to score from some poor defending with a simple finish into the Sporting goal.
Guardiola will be disappointed with the performance but chuffed with the three points.

scaled.php

15th October 2011
La Liga
Matchday 7
Camp Nou

scaled.php

Barcelona once again played poorly but still managed to claim all three points in a match which was won by a Gerard Piqué goal and Man Of The Match performance. It was Piqué's first game back from his injury which he suffered 3 weeks ago. The Spanish international and former Man Utd starlet scored with a thunderous header which crashed into the Racing goal beating Dudu Aouate who managed to get the slightest touch with his right glove to the ball but the header was just too powerful and slipped past his fingers.

Gerard Piqué looked in form and was the standout player in a game which he commanded well. His performance will now bring about the Blaugrana fans desire to see him as the clubs captain in the future. Guardiola after the game stated that without the towering defender in his team, Barcelona would have lost the game. The only other noteable incident in the game was the decision not to award Barca a penalty as Isaac Cuenca went down just inside the box from a fifty fifty tackle from Racing defender Edu Bedia.

scaled.php

18th October 2011
Champions League
Group G - Matchday 3
Stade Vélodrome
19:45

scaled.php

The fans of Barcelona will now be starting to worry as the club hasn't been playing well for a few games and it seem's the team is suffering from a lack of confidence. With the club still without a fully fit David Villa it seems the club also have an issue up front with only Lionel Messi as a fully fit experienced striker. Kiko Femenia had to come on half way through the second half as Daniel Alves was shown a Red Card for a tackle which was deemed desperate and dangerous from the referee.

It added to the clubs flailing form and the fans concerns that something is not quite right within the club. As much as Pep Guardiola can keep a calm attitude the Blaugrana fans will soon be demanding better performances and a return to winning ways.
Loïc Rémy was the hero for Marseille scoring a late goal to send them top of Group G.

scaled.php

23rd October 2011

La Liga
Matchday 8
Camp Nou
18:00

scaled.php

Guardiola now has to be careful, Barcelona haven't played well all month and with Real Madrid creeping back up the table he could see his side de-throned off top spot by the clubs bitter rivals. Iker Muniain returned for this game after having been out for five weeks but was unable to add any sparkle to the Blaugrana's performance. However poor Barcelona were Sevilla played well and Álvaro Negredo scored a brilliant goal on the turn to give Sevilla the lead.

Gylfi Sigurðsson who has been goal shy of late managed to get back into goal scoring form as he smashed in the equaliser for Barca. He could have won the game too but the Sevilla goals woodwork denied him a second from a wonderfully taken freekick.

scaled.php

26th October 2011
Copa Del Rey
4th Round - Leg 1
Narcis Sala
20:00

scaled.php

Barcelona's Copa Del Rey cup run started of against Sant Andreu in the fourth round of the competition. Barcelona who were expected to comfortably beat their opposition did enough to win and to impress their fans. Guardiola who was expected to play his youngsters did so and all looked to take the opportunity to shine. Lucas Andesen lead the line up front and although he is still awaiting his first goal for the club he looked assured and confident.

Iker Muniain played well too and will undoubtedly be hoping he can become a first team regular soon. His time off from having broken ribs hasn't left him short of bravery as he was getting involved physically, winning the ball and spreading the play all over the pitch. Guardiola did however decide to keep an experienced defence in place for this game to try and avoid any defensive issues which may have cost Barcelona.

scaled.php

30th October 2011
La Liga
Matchday 9
Camp Nou

scaled.php

Lucas Andersen kept his place in the squad after impressing in the Copa Del Rey match and played reasonably well. The young Danish striker almost scored but saw his shot well saved by the Mallorca keeper. Carles Puyol opened up the games scoring with a great little flick into the opposition goal from a stray ball which had come off Lionel Messi from a corner kick.

Barcelona's midfield looked ten times better than they had done in recent weeks with Iniesta and Mascherano really looking to dominate the middle of the park. Both played strongly and looked to be setting the example to the other players. Iniesta even grabbed a goal to cap off his excellent display. Iker Munian came on to score a late third goal for Barcelona who in this match looked to be getting back to their better selves.

scaled.php

La Liga Table

Barcelona have luckily found there way to the top of the table and perhaps undeservedly so. Pep Guardiola will probably be thanking his lucky stars that the team sit where they are as October has been a somewhat limp month for the club who have looked lacklustre and out of sorts. Real Madrid seem to be back to their best and have climbed the table to sit in second place. Valencia are still looking strong and are just behind Real in third. Atletico Madrid are fourth with Athletic in fifth.

scaled.php

Champions League Group

With Barcelona having lost to Marseille at the
Stade Vélodrome it really opens up the pack in Group G of the Champions League. Many would have expected the Blaugrana to be topping this table and finishing off as the Group G winners by a mile. It hasn't been like this and Guardiola see's his men in unfamiliar territory as they sit in third place. There is however time for all that to change and Barcelona still have a chance to claim top spot and qualify.

scaled.php

Barcelona's Player Of The Month - Gerard Piqué

scaled.php

Piqué has returned from injury and played extremely well - touted as a future captain for the club

Last edited:
Didn't know you had a story going when you posted in mine or else I would've taken a look earlier! Very nice going Sigurdsson looks immense in only his first season, with more Xavi tutoring, game time and natural progression he'll be unstoppable!

Didn't know you had a story going when you posted in mine or else I would've taken a look earlier! Very nice going Sigurdsson looks immense in only his first season, with more Xavi tutoring, game time and natural progression he'll be unstoppable!

I hope so. I can't believe his Long Shots and Freekick stats, but the more I see him at swansea the more I think it's really accurate.

Going good mate, not a great start in Europe but surely quality will out. I was gonna suggest you take a look at Ander Herrera but with Sigurdssson doing so well dont bother! If you need a full back you can usually get Azpilicueta for £10-12m (young, Spanish and can usually get trained to be a LB too)

Going good mate, not a great start in Europe but surely quality will out. I was gonna suggest you take a look at Ander Herrera but with Sigurdssson doing so well dont bother! If you need a full back you can usually get Azpilicueta for £10-12m (young, Spanish and can usually get trained to be a LB too)

Quality mate. I'll look at both of them. I looked at that GK Coach but went with Celio Rossi in the end. If you have anymore suggestions always happy to hear em. Thanks bud

Another cracking story, followed your United one and now I'll follow this. Your Graphics are pure class too.

Xavi: Passing Is The Key

Pep Guardiola has asked his inspirational captain Xavi to speak to the Blaugrana team as standards have slipped at the club recently. The Catalan club see themselves suprisingly at the top of the table but not looking confident there. They could also find themselves out of Europe too if their performances don't pick up. Sandro Rossell has been in contact with Guardiola about the clubs recent performances and in response Guardiola has now turned to his captain to try and figure out just why the performances have dropped. Guardiola revealed that he had asked Xavi to speak to the squad informally stating that a formal discussion could create a feeling of anxiousness and further deepen the clubs worries. The Spanish magician has refused to speculate that Barcelona may be on the slide and has called the clubs recent form just a blip.

scaled.php

Xavi spoke to the squad who in response explained that they didn't know why the team wasn't playing at it's best but informed him that they would strive to do better. The young players looked eager to impress Xavi who has always been a philosipher of the passing game. Xavi has in the past stopped players from showboating and taught them the importance of passing and the mentality behind it. Although Barcelona's current squad are more grounded, Xavi has explained to the squad that in order to get back to their best they need to concentarte on their passing, their off the ball positioning and their vision. The team listened to their leader and seemed happy to take the Spain internationals advice and looked better for it in training.

TwitterLogo1.gif

@Xavi_Hernan

" Good team chat today with my friends have spoken about ways to get back on track, the boys feel better and we feel like we can turn our form around thankyou for support fans. Love Barcelona, Love Catalan Love Blaugrana! Pass, Pass, Pass! "

Guardiola will now have to see if the team improves from Xavi's informal team talk.

Last edited:

Guardiola To Change Things Around

Josep Guardiola who has already told Xavi the clubs captain to address the team regarding their poor performances of late has announced to his squad that things are about to change regarding the clubs tactics. The Spanish magician has stated that he will not tweak the teams current formation but will be looking to take the attacking dimension of their play into more of focus area. Barcelona who are famed for their Tiki-Taka possession styled passing game will still involve this phase of play in their matches but with Guardiola keen to add more of an attacking presence to his squad he has decided to ring the changes.

scaled.php

Guardiola has decided to use Lionel Messi as an advanced midfielder and will often use him as a striker aswell it's been reported. Messi has until now been used on the wing and as a reserved attacking midfielder. It appears Guardiola has seen the error of his ways and now wants Messi to attack more often, rather than link the play together. Kiko Femenia who has been used as a full back so far this season will tested out on the right wing as Guardiola looks to take advantage of his attacking attributes. Lucas Andersen who was signed in the summer and has been used sparingly so far this season but as of late has seen more first team opportunities thrown his way, has been told he needs to work on his strength and that he needs to take every opportunity thats given to him.

The club who still remain top of the La Liga table will want to ensure that they remain on top of the pile and of course their rivals Real Madrid until the last day of the season. It's believed that Guardiola had lost faith in his own tactics this season and that he only blamed himself for his teams lacklustre displays of late. He belived that if the team carried on playing the way they had it would only be a matter of time before they were cast aside at the top of the league.

November 2011

• [*=center]Iniesta out injured for no less than two months with a broken ankle.
    [*=center]Rafinha and Thiago Alcantara show there worth to the Blaugrana club
    [*=center]Barcelona enjoy better success this month
    [*=center]The Blaugrana are on edge of European disaster
    [*=center]Real Madrid lose pace with the league leaders

Ideally Guardiola had been looking to enjoy a better month than he previous had. October saw his side struggle for form which exposed the club's obvious weakness'. Guardiola even went as far as instructing Xavi the clubs captain to speak to the team to find out why they thought the club was experiencing a lull in form.

Guardiola has even decided to tweak the clubs infamous tactics and has looked at the way he can use his players. It had been obvious for a few weeks that something wasn't clicking and now the Barcelona manager has finally decided that something had to change. November has bought about more success than the previous month with once again the clubs European journey the only issue causing concern.

scaled.php

2nd Novemeber 2011
Champions League
Group G - Matchday 4
Camp Nou

scaled.php

A tight affair for Barcelona in this game as Marseille played strongly and confidently. Eric Abidal enjoyed a fine game and without his goal line clearance from a Loïc Remy shot Barcelona could have been one goal down in the first ten minutes. Abidal spent alot of the game breaking up the French teams attacking play and looked strong and able in doing so.

David Villa scored the only goal of the game in the sixty-sixth minute combining well with Lionel Messi and then taking it around two defenders before unleashing a strong shot into the Marseille goal. Guardiola will have breathed a huge sighn of relief after the full time whistle had been blown and will now feel more confident his side can progress further in the competition.

scaled.php

6th Novemeber 2011
La Liga
Matchday - 10
San Mamés

scaled.php

A plucky Athletic Bilbao side gave the champions a tough time but Barcelona held on to claim an improtant away victory. Athletic who have a strong young squad played extremely well and when Susaeta scored just before half time Guardiola must have thought the worst.

The second half however proved that Barcelona are beginning to rediscover a bit of their previous form as they battled bravely and managed to score not only an equaliser but the winner too. Javier Mascherano grabbed the first one with a fine diving header from an Isaac Cuenca cross and David Villa wrapped up the win with a simple finish late on.

scaled.php

9th November 2011
Copa Del Rey
4th Round - Leg 2
Camp Nou

scaled.php

It seemed that Guardiola was happy with his teams aggregate two goal cushion and felt comfortable starting some youngsters again against Sant Andreu. Lucas Andersen started and once again failed to grab the opportunity by the scruff of the neck. Thiago started and looked promising as he displayed classic Barcelona traits with his passing and positioning.

Thiago's brother Rafinha was the hero in this game though as he scored two great goals. His first was a volley inside the box which struck the post before bouncing into the Sant Andreu goal. His second was a clever low drive which sneaked into the bottom left corner of the lower league teams goal. The Blaugrana's fans will have been ecstatic with the youngsters performances and will be itching to see him in action again soon.

scaled.php

19th Novemeber 2011
La Liga
Matchday - 11
Camp Nou

scaled.php

Thiago who had seen his brother score two goals against Sant Andreu ten days before this game, did one better and scored a hattrick against a low performing Zaragoza team who are deep within the relegation zone. Barcelona scored seven goals and looked likely to add more but preferred to keep the possession and control the game. Thiago who claimed the match ball will have been delighted with his performance and will hope that Guardiola will use him more in future games.

Iker Muniain scored too with a delightful chip to cap off a great game, Cristian Tello also got in on the act smashing in a low drive from an accute angle. Lionel Messi and
Gylfi Sigurðsson also scored for their rampant team. Guardiola looked satisfied after the game and will be hoping his team can produce more displays like this. He had wanted more attacking displays and in this game he certainly got that.

scaled.php

22nd Novemeber 2011
Champions League
Group G - Matchday 5
BayArena

scaled.php

The hoodoo which is European football came back to haunt Barcelona as they once again failed to impress in the Champions League. Leverkusen looked to outplay their opponents and went one nil up early on in the first half. The Germans who looked fresh dictated the game and stretched the Blaugrana and almost scored a second just before half time.

Gylfi Sigurðsson scored just after half time to level out the match again but both teams really failed to dominate and the game ebbed away and lost it's aura becoming a mundane midfield battle. Guardiola who was hoping for a boost in fortunes after thumping Zaragoza a few days before may well be thinking again.

scaled.php

26th Novemeber 2011
La Liga
Matchday - 12
Coliseum Alfonso Pérez

scaled.php

Guardiola opted to play Lionel Messi up front today with Iker Muniain and Gylfi Sigurðsson supporting. The plan worked and Messi scored a supreme hattrick and looked much happier in the advanced role. Iker Muniain who looked happy to feed the Argentinian also looked good and linked up well with Messi. Gylfi Sigurðsson played a little deeper and took control of the teams passing and backed up the front two.

Kiko Femenia played on the right wing and looked assured as he ran the left wing sweeping up wide balls from Getafe and creating attacking chances. The youngster who has benefited from tarining with Daniel Alves seems to have gained a bit more strength and looks stronger holding up the ball. All in all Barcelona enjoyed a great game.

scaled.php

30th Novemeber 2011
La Liga
Matchday - 13
Los Cármenes

scaled.php

Granada barely put up a fight against Barcelona and were duely undone by the Spanish champions trickery and possession. The Giants used their patient play to out manouvere their opponents. Iker Muniain was on hand to claim two assists today setting up Femenia to score two headers. The young Spanish winger looked overjoyed to score his first goals for the club and thumped the air and kissed the badge during his celebrations.

Xavi once again looked to dominate the Barcelona midfield and looked to out pass Granada who in all fairness were never able to stop the Spanish wizard from passing the ball around them. Guardiola has now seen his team win all their league games this month and will be pleased to still be top.

scaled.php

La Liga Table

Barcelona now hold a three point advantage over Valencia and are shaping up to be favourites to win the competition. Of course there is still time for things to change and Barcelona won't have things all there own way throughout the season. Real Madrid have slipped further behind and look to be lacking the creative talent in midfield. Sevilla have risen to fourth and look like they may be challenging for a Champions League spot this year.

scaled.php

Champions League Group

Barcelona still look uncomfortable in Europe and need a win against Sturm Graz to esure a safe passage into the Knockout stages of the competition. If they beat Sturm Graz then they will either qualifu along with Leverkusen or Marseille.

scaled.php

Barcelona's Player Of The Month - Thiago

scaled.php

Thiago has impressed and scored his first hattrick for the club this month.

Surely to god you can beat the Austrians! All looking good but I have a bone to pick with you - why beat Athletic Bilbao and insult me further by making the prolific Mascherano score? lol

Going good though - keep those youngsters developing.

Surely to god you can beat the Austrians! All looking good but I have a bone to pick with you - why beat Athletic Bilbao and insult me further by making the prolific Mascherano score? lol

Going good though - keep those youngsters developing.

Lol I was expecting a comment about the Athletic game lol. They played really well though. Yeah I'm definately one for getting the youngsters ready, although Andersen can't score to save his life. I'm tempted to loan him out. Missed an open goal, a shot from 5 yards out the keeper saved and is alwats tackled before he gets his shot away. lol... quite slow too.

Back