Barcelona vs Manchester United - May 28th, 19:45

Who Will Win The UEFA Champions League Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arsenal beat this 'best ever footballing side ever in the history of the known universe' over 90 minutes. Five teams have done it this season. Just saying. Didn't think Barca were particularly brilliant tonight, but they really didn't need to be.

They didnt play like the best team ever, but they were simply better. They made us look very ordinary, too many players didnt quite turn up

Arsenal beat this 'best ever footballing side ever in the history of the known universe' over 90 minutes. Five teams have done it this season. Just saying. Didn't think Barca were particularly brilliant tonight, but they really didn't need to be.

I simply think them losing 5 times, doesnt count for anything, they are allowed a few off days in a season right? they played what 60 times and lost 5. just saying.

Very dissapointed with Manchester United's team selection and approach to the game. For me Fergie got it completely wrong, they absolutely murdered us we could not get possession of the ball and everyone looked flat on their heels.

Barcelona did not play amazing, they were good and better but Manchester United were just really poor and I expected a much better pressing game especially in our own half. We stood off a lot of there players it was so frustrating to watch, having said that you can take pride that we got to the final with not a "good team" so the media keeps saying and our rivals before the season. I guess they can not say it now.

Good bye VDS, you were a legend of a goalkeeper and sad to see you leave. Unfortunately I can see Scholes going as well. This is an important time for MU imo, they need to bring some creative talent in and freshen the squad up.

Was at the game last night and genuinely thought we had a good chance of pulling off an upset. My take on the game;

Evra was shocking. Wasn't as offensive as he needed to be, and with Park doing all his running he lost his edge and Alves/Messi/Villa pounded our left hand side throughout.
Valencia was really bad too. It looked like the occasion got to him and he was shell shocked. He was getting frustrated very easily and didn't look as bright as he has done since his comeback from injury.
Hernandez struggled to get involved after the first 10 minutes. He was offside 3 times in the first 15 minutes and from that point you'd expect he'd realise something had to change but he kept going and made himself unavailable again and again, making it harder for people to pick him out. Also, his first touch is shocking!
Rooney was our best player last night. Always looked a threat on the ball and was willing to get stuck in all the time.
I think VDS could have done better with the second goal, but Villa's goal was simply World Class. A fitting goal to win them the trophy.

First half was pretty even, although they dominated possession we had some good chances and looked threatening. Second half was completely different. They came out and were far too comfortable far too early and it made the United fans quiet considering there was no action in our half and they were just relentless. We were hitting the ball forward in hope rather than with any authority.

Messi was on another level second half and ran the show. Deserved his goal and his MOTM award. An amazing experience to be there, and an honour to see the greatest team in the world play football live (their football is much more entertaining live than it is on TV).

Also, I'm certain Paul Scholes is going to retire this summer. He and VDS walked around waving to the United fans while everyone clapped, and he was genuinely more distraught than anyone else on the field. Scholes just looked like he was done and was gutted at the way it ended.

Anyway, some pictures and some videos of the night. Wonderful experience. Congratulations Barcelona!

View attachment 173794View attachment 173793

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYDukAbjMqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kh4k1a23Pc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UyjjcfQftE

Last edited:
They didnt play like the best team ever, but they were simply better. They made us look very ordinary, too many players didnt quite turn up

Barca on their day can do that to anybody, they had to have a bad day and it simply wasn't happening - everything they touched turned to gold. Was like a repeat of the 2008 final for me, United come out the blocks firing and play really well for the first ten minutes then Barcelona get hold of that thing called the football, and just keep it. Simple as that.

Barca on their day can do that to anybody, they had to have a bad day and it simply wasn't happening - everything they touched turned to gold. Was like a repeat of the 2008 final for me, United come out the blocks firing and play really well for the first ten minutes then Barcelona get hold of that thing called the football, and just keep it. Simple as that.

we dropped the back line deeper after about 15 minutes and that gave messi so much space.

I think park and valencia were only as shocking as they were because of the formation being wrong, playing 4-4-2 meaned we had no shape as park keep floating into the middle, leaving evra really stretched on the left and carrick and giggs did not shift there as they were chasing xavi and iniesta. so its not evra fault he had to come out a lot more so got stretched and left gaps. and because carrick and giggs wernt putting in a shift they was expected, valencia was forced to come back and thats why he didnt play well because hes a wing player and could of destroyed abidal if he had the oppertunity.

but yea, formation was wrong as 4-4-2 had no shape , WE NEEDED 4-5-1 to win the match as a game is won/loss in midfield and by carrcik and giggs who are not chasers having to they were getting run ragid. i think nani,valencia and rooney at front as when rooney when in the middle at the end was amazing and he would of kept to busquests, keep busquets out of the game and u keep xavi/iniesta because that is where the game was dictated as busquets had a lot of time he picke dout xavi and iniesta and the rest i dont have to say.

ferguson is a great manager but he needs to get out of his restricted ways, 4-4-2 would of never work. Boss the midfield is key and we needed 3 letting park in there, because then park would of stayed and chased busquets around giving no time, and a little help from giggs.

chicherito wasnt the option, he had a good seson but u have to win the game and dropping big names to do that aint a matter, pique just bossed him around and he had no touch on the ball, rooney would of been much more helpful in the role.

bUT Congratulations barcelona on the win, they deserved it, no shame in losing to them. great team.

Yeah noticed that, you seemed to concentrate on trying to close Messi down, didn't do a particularly good job of it (albeit it is a hard task) and being the player of his calibre, he simply passed it to someone else before you had chance to get the ball off him!!

How the f do you get the ball off that lad! Someone will have to break his legs

I think park and valencia were only as shocking as they were because of the formation being wrong, playing 4-4-2 meaned we had no shape as park keep floating into the middle, leaving evra really stretched on the left and carrick and giggs did not shift there as they were chasing xavi and iniesta. so its not evra fault he had to come out a lot more so got stretched and left gaps. and because carrick and giggs wernt putting in a shift they was expected, valencia was forced to come back and thats why he didnt play well because hes a wing player and could of destroyed abidal if he had the oppertunity.

but yea, formation was wrong as 4-4-2 had no shape , WE NEEDED 4-5-1 to win the match as a game is won/loss in midfield and by carrcik and giggs who are not chasers having to they were getting run ragid. i think nani,valencia and rooney at front as when rooney when in the middle at the end was amazing and he would of kept to busquests, keep busquets out of the game and u keep xavi/iniesta because that is where the game was dictated as busquets had a lot of time he picke dout xavi and iniesta and the rest i dont have to say.

ferguson is a great manager but he needs to get out of his restricted ways, 4-4-2 would of never work. Boss the midfield is key and we needed 3 letting park in there, because then park would of stayed and chased busquets around giving no time, and a little help from giggs.

chicherito wasnt the option, he had a good seson but u have to win the game and dropping big names to do that aint a matter, pique just bossed him around and he had no touch on the ball, rooney would of been much more helpful in the role.

bUT Congratulations barcelona on the win, they deserved it, no shame in losing to them. great team.

we werent playing 4-4-2, it was 4-4-1-1, rooney was trying to sit on busquets and did a decent job, but they just passed round him, as for restrictive ways, we've played 5 different formations this season

Not convinced it's the players not turning up. There was a 5 yard exclusion zone around Messi bar those occasions when Valencia came in from the wing and clattered him. Just no mobility in central midfield. Still unsure just how Hernandez is meant to hold the ball up even in ideal circumstances. Think Ferguson got it wrong again. He said after the match something about not wanting to change the way his team played. Odd comment - he changes things, eventually, in the league when he's consistently getting outdone. You'd think the CL final would make that happen sooner rather than delay it.

-----

Scott - Barcelona's away record in Europe over the past 3 seasons. Won 6. Drawn 9. Lost 3. If it salves your pride that getting smashed around a second major cup final, without showing any real signs of having learned from the first experience, is no shame, fill your boots.

Yeah noticed that, you seemed to concentrate on trying to close Messi down, didn't do a particularly good job of it (albeit it is a hard task) and being the player of his calibre, he simply passed it to someone else before you had chance to get the ball off him!!

How the f do you get the ball off that lad! Someone will have to break his legs

i hate him, i really do, so freaking good. Considering the personnell we had, 4-4-1-1 was the only real option, but i would have preferred 4-2-3-1.

They were brilliant this season, which makes me wonder? why the **** dive all the time. they showed last night they dont need to

Last edited:
I kno rooney stayed on him but rooney would of been more useful where hernandez was and park where rooney was, putting nani on the left. Hernandez didnt track, i know he aint suppose to but it would of been a bit helpful.

and restricted ways, i meant big games not throughout season, he used 4-4-2 agaisnt arsenal who play similar to barca and we got outplayed at end of april, we never have been outplayed agasint arsenal for a long time because we used 4-3-3 and dominated the midfield which is key to winning the game.

Not convinced it's the players not turning up. There was a 5 yard exclusion zone around Messi bar those occasions when Valencia came in from the wing and clattered him. Just no mobility in central midfield. Still unsure just how Hernandez is meant to hold the ball up even in ideal circumstances. Think Ferguson got it wrong again. He said after the match something about not wanting to change the way his team played. Odd comment - he changes things, eventually, in the league when he's consistently getting outdone. You'd think the CL final would make that happen sooner rather than delay it.

-----

Scott - Barcelona's away record in Europe over the past 3 seasons. Won 6. Drawn 9. Lost 3. If it salves your pride that getting smashed around a second major cup final, without showing any real signs of having learned from the first experience, is no shame, fill your boots.

When were you referring to Fergie getting "consistently outdone in the league" then. lmao????

i hate him, i really do, so freaking good. Considering the personnell we had, 4-4-1-1 was the only real option, but i would have preferred 4-2-3-1.

They were brilliant, which makes me wonder? why the **** dive all the time. they showed last night they dont need to

I would not say they were brilliant to be honest, I think they were good but not brilliant. We simply did not play well enough and allowed them too much space, and against Barcelona that is gifting the game to them. Everytime they came forward it looked like a goal.

Messi was very good, but overall I think Ronaldo is the best player in the world. More to Ronaldo's game I would say. Oh and Ronaldo has proven it in the two best leagues in the world.

Last edited:

-----

not many real options when looking at the team. Fletcher has player 2 games in 3 months, Ando getting there but still hot and cold.

Think he didnt make the big changes though. personally would have shifted park further up the field to AMC, taken off hernandez and played Rooney there, with Nani coming in on the left. but easy to say in hindsight

not many real options when looking at the team. Fletcher has player 2 games in 3 months, Ando getting there but still hot and cold.

Think he didnt make the big changes though. personally would have shifted park further up the field to AMC, taken off hernandez and played Rooney there, with Nani coming in on the left. but easy to say in hindsight

Sure easy with hindsight but a lot of the issues were raised a lot before the match. Pretty much agree with that - maybe even try Valencia on the left to support Rooney in the centre (Hiddink's plan when Chelsea should have turned them over). Not sure Hernandez over Berbatov was the right decision at all. I know Berbatov hasn't scored much recently, but he does hold the ball up well.

Sure easy with hindsight but a lot of the issues were raised a lot before the match. Pretty much agree with that - maybe even try Valencia on the left to support Rooney in the centre (Hiddink's plan when Chelsea should have turned them over). Not sure Hernandez over Berbatov was the right decision at all. I know Berbatov hasn't scored much recently, but he does hold the ball up well.

think his lack of euro goals went against him (not scored in 1200 minutes) Think SAF went down the route of "if its a one-two chance affair, hernandez over dimi"

The issues were raised, but not many other options. understandable why he went with it,but should have changed things sooner. Doesn't help when your LB goes suicidal though

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

RE: Berbatov, something is up there, didnt even sit with the side, and left the game early too

Berbatov will leave in the summer.. Also forgot to mention. I met my idol last night.

248661_10150323912363858_617553857_9994955_5700713_n.jpg

Eusebio :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

When were you referring to Fergie getting "consistently outdone in the league" then. lmao????.

Oh hai thar. Might be worth digging through your history books for teams which Ferguson had to adapt his teams to play. There's been a few over the years since Aberdeen. Last major one I remember was how he started to play a very negative 4-2-3-1 against Benitez' Liverpool to stifle play. One of his strengths as a manager has been his willingness to adapt, to learn. You may differ and think he was born a fully fledged Taggart lookalike, so we'll agree to differ then.

I thought that Fergie should have taken off Hernandez and brought on Fletcher who will have added some zest to the shockingly incumbent Man Utd Midfield, Park Ji Sung was brilliant in the first 40min, hardly let Messi have too much time on the ball but he began to tire out which is expected if you are literally everywhere on the pitch, Rooney played very deep and once or twice I spotted him a mere 15 yards from the Man Utd Penalty Box leaving Hernandez isolated

However if Fergie still wanted to continue with the 2 striker formation I though he could have brought Berba on, he could have held the ball up much better than Hernandez could have

think his lack of euro goals went against him (not scored in 1200 minutes) Think SAF went down the route of "if its a one-two chance affair, hernandez over dimi"

The issues were raised, but not many other options. understandable why he went with it,but should have changed things sooner. Doesn't help when your LB goes suicidal though

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

RE: Berbatov, something is up there, didnt even sit with the side, and left the game early too

Yeah, he said something like that about choosing Owen over Berbatov for the bench. Just trying to figure out what he wanted his team to do - Evra's defensive vulnerability we've talked about before is really hammered home when he's forced to stay flat like that and not take advantage of any space in front of him. First 10 minutes, I thought that he'd got it spot on - high intensity, get the lead, play on the break. But Barca seemed to pull Villa more centrally and Messi dropped deeper and you barely saw the ball after that for longer than it took for the ball to get back to VDS to punt aimlessly up the pitch. The way Barcelona interchange means you need a very drilled zonal defence of at least 7 players (and let's be honest, you guys rarely have the game taken to you to an extent which would make that necessary) or you need to return to a man-mark/zonal mix to track the runners properly. Thought it was suicidal to play the offside trap on the edge of your own area when midfield and defence had collapsed on top of each other and with rarely anyone tracking from midfield (Carrick did it once and stopped a goal - even if he was playing catch-up on Messi to do it). Just lots of odd things about the match again and Ferguson's decisions.

Berbatov to Spurs then? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.