Barcelona vs Manchester United - May 28th, 19:45

Who Will Win The UEFA Champions League Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson acknowledged the club's opponents in the Champions League, Barcelona, are the best team he has faced in his long and distinguished career.

''We were beaten, there is no other way to address the situation, by the best team,'' he told ITV1. ''I expected us to do better but at the end of the day we were beaten by the better team. They are the best team we have ever played, they are at the peak in this cycle of their team.

''There was good evidence we are a consistently good European team but we were beaten by the best team in Europe and there is no shame in that. Sometimes you come up against a far better team and tonight was one of those nights.''

With regard to his own team's performance, Ferguson admitted United's season had ended in frustrating fashion.

''We expected to do better, simple as that,'' he said. ''We have had a great season in many ways, it is just disappointing that we have been to Wembley twice and been beaten. We are just disappointed it has ended on this note.''

What surprised me about Evra is he's arguably the best LB in the world. A part of the reason why is the consistency he has which Ashley Cole doesn't have. Yet, he played so badly tonight, and in a CL final at that.

i gotta say though..you guys are killing it now..all the way from Sir Alex to Ferdinand to every United fan I'm seeing around, everyone is going on praising Barca for their greatness...
It was good seeing all of them graceful in defeat at the start...but c'mon! its like you guys just gave up...we all know they are the best..Acknowledge it, but be angry! swear revenge! that's what football is all about!!
(Being angry doesn't necessarily mean you have to insult the **** out of them)

i gotta say though..you guys are killing it now..all the way from Sir Alex to Ferdinand to every United fan I'm seeing around, everyone is going on praising Barca for their greatness...
It was good seeing all of them graceful in defeat at the start...but c'mon! its like you guys just gave up...we all know they are the best..Acknowledge it, but be angry! swear revenge! that's what football is all about!!

WE SHALL BEAT THEM NEXT YEAR,
when Doctor Who takes them away and brings in there 60 year old selfs to play United.
THEN WE SHALL SHOW THEM XD

Dont get me wrong, I am upset as i always am at Utd losing. but this feels slightly different as they are so good, all being said I bet you anything Sir alex will go to his office monday and plan for our next game against them, and we shall beat them and we are still Manchester United Football club.

Glad the better team won tonight. Evra was shocking, and United hardly offered anything imo. Messi showed yet again why he is the best player in the world, and ever imo. £2 on 3-1 Barca wasn't too bad, either :)

Messi was brilliant, but United made it easy for him. They pressed high up, and yet kept their defensive line deep to counter the pace of Barca's front line. Even worse, their two-man midfield was completely overrun. Messi wasn't even in top gear by my reckoning, because the oceans of space he got was enough to let him do exactly what he wanted, collect the ball and run at the United defence. And for all of his strengths, Nemanja Vidic's one weakness is someone running at him with the ball.

Everything had a knock-on effect, and resulted in Messi just ripping United apart.

Barcelona played very well as a team, whereas only Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand and Fabio had a noticeably good game for United. Not good enough if you want to beat Barcelona on form. Switch managers of each team and the result would have been the same. United can still be proud though, especially getting to the final with one of the weakest United teams I have seen imo. They will strengthen for next season and possible finalists again? Wouldn't surprise me.

I'm gonna be different and give Pedro and especially Villa a mention for his goal. Reading through this you'd have thought Messi scored all 3 lol.

Beaten by the best footballing side ever, nothing to be ashamed off. Still champions of England, something to be proud of for a record breaking time. I'd like to say thank you for the past 6 years to Edwin Van der Sar. You have been a great servant too the club and have helped us too many major honours. Thank you and the best for the furture. Latestly congrates to Barcelona. Deserved the win tonight, by far the better team. There is such a huge difference between the best team in Europe (Barcelona) and the second (Man Utd). It's going to take something special to beat them!

Arsenal beat this 'best ever footballing side ever in the history of the known universe' over 90 minutes. Five teams have done it this season. Just saying. Didn't think Barca were particularly brilliant tonight, but they really didn't need to be.

Was at the game tonight. As always a great day out but obviously disappointed about the result.

Seriously thought we did have a chance coming into the game but I knew it required our players to all perform which wasn't the case. Evra was shocking, out of position on numerous occasions, guess he was semi decent going forward but was appalling defensively (story of his season). Valencia probably had his worst game since he came back from his dreadful injury and didn't have the impact that he would have hoped for. With Rooney dropping deep to help out defensively this isolated Hernandez and he was never really involved. Barcelona were just too good for us, best team ever in my opinion.

Couple of points now.

Messi for me is the best player ever. As each generation is better than the previous I think it is safe to say he is up there, what he has done this season (along with Ronaldo) is magnificent and he deserves his name up there with the true greats of the game.

Why play act? I think everyone was disgusted with the way Barcelona went about the semi final of the champions league, they tried to get Madrid players in trouble. They showed tonight that they didn't need to do this, and when this happens people remember the football they play and nothing else.

Busquets. Busquets has gotten so much abuse (rightfully so) the past 18months but he is such a good player. His role in that Barce team is so important and I think it is clear to see why he started every game for Spain in the world cup, forced Yaya out the door and has kept Masch on the bench. I understand people despise the lad but you have to admire his ability, just wish he cut out the antics. Great player.

VDS - What can I say about the guy. Amazing ambassador for the sport with such an amazing career. Like to thank Edwin for the 6 years he has had with us, great keeper and I will never forget that night when I was there in Moscow. True legend.

I have to watch the match again, a bit more closely, to see what everyone is talking about with Evra.

All I'll say until then is that at LB vs. Barca you really have to pick your poison. You have their frontline dragging you all over the place with feints and diagonal runs, you have the eternal threat of Messi, you have Alves to watch for at all times.

I did notice him on the Messi goal, and it looked like he was the only one making an effort to close him down.......to my amateur eye it looked like he was trying to cover for a poor play (or poor defensive gameplan) from Vidic there. I realize you close down and they run by you, but an open shot from just outside the box isn't exactly an ideal result either.

I fell asleep and missed every goal :mad::mad::mad:

That's what I get for getting up early and fishing all day long...

Cant say much except Man Utd were outclasses throughout the game, they looked toothless in attack and their sole goal came from a horrific throw-in by Eric Abidal... I dont even remember Hernandez touching the ball at all except in offside positions, Rooney dropped far 2 deep to help out the midfield and this left Hernandez isolated, Valencia was non-existent down the Right Flank, you would have thought he would have given Eric Abidal a much harder time, Man Utd never exploited the fact that Mascherano Height was going to be a liabilty, they were completely over-run in the midfield and Barcelona was making a mockery out of them with their passing

Patrice Evra had a horrible game, he was woefully out of position for the First Goal, Park Ji Sung was literally everywhere but he began to tire, cant blame him really, the second goal by Messi was the result of the Man Utd players not closing him down in time, either Ferdinand or Vidic should have been brave to venture out a little and limit Messi's space whenever Park could not get there in time, the third goal by Villa was brilliant, not much to be done there

All in all Man Utd played badly, for me they were fundamental mistakes in Fergie's tactics and Barca did not have to play at their best to dismantle Man Utd, either way congrats to both clubs for reaching the finals

Now everyone in the media will be talking that United need to spend,the manager got it wrong,this is the end of the road for fergie etc.,etc. but I don't think so we were outclassed and they were better on the night and I think we will come back stronger next year!

Oh what robbery. How'd we not win that game?!?! We were easily the best team throughout. Rooney and Chicha should have had two each and Barca's midfield was *****.................

............... Oh no wait, just remembered we were outclassed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.