Being Bastian... (A Bayern Munich Story)

Carine

Reaction score
A story in FM 2010. Please be aware that the views held in this story are mostly fictional. Though many of the characters are real, I am only responding to events the game throws up in a story manner. Some real life backstory may be used too, but, in the main, this is a fictional piece of work and no offence is meant or should be taken from it.

Being Bastian…

Friday, June 12th 2009.

“I am the greatest manager this country has ever produced,” I announced to the baying media.

A sudden, deathly silence befell the room…

The journalists scrambling for space; the hustle and bustle of public-relations forcing the over-eager back behind the designated line; the shuffling of feet, jostling of elbows and scratching of scribbling pens all came to an abrupt stop. Even the crazy haze of unrelenting flashbulbs halted, and I was left to wonder if hearts and batteries had died before my very eyes. This cattle-mart had closed temporarily and time itself appeared stuck at a bemused crossroads. The gentle humming of electrical equipment sprawled throughout the room provided the only murmurings of any existence…

“Better than Lattek?” cried one of the pompous faces in the crowd, finally breaking the unearthly silence, whilst sending the amassed collection of vultures into a crazed chorus of hearty laughter.
“What about Hitzfeld?” another mocked, “Or Magath? Indeed, what about the great man sat at your side?”
“Today…” I began, attempting to hide the tremble growing in my throat as the foolishness of my rash statement hit home, “Maybe not,” I paused, trying to regain my composure. After all, I’d only ever managed in the youth divisions before today, but if I backed down now I’d be a laughing stock, “Tomorrow? For sure.”

I heard the drawn-out cry of fine leather under stress -- I knew the legend sitting next to me had shifted on his seat and I guessed I was now the centre of his attentions. I turned and faced him -- praying he wouldn’t see the single bead of sweat meandering down my forehead. He stared back at me over the rim of his glasses -- deep into my eyes, deep into the depths of my shaken soul.
“I believe him,” he declared, eventually -- refocusing his steely glare on the gathered crowd, “If I didn’t, he wouldn’t be here.”
I sighed with relief.

The rest of my press conference passed into the nothingness of foggy memory. As a result of the bravado of my opening statement, I had unwittingly placed a noose around my already frail neck. I could feel an aura of disbelief within the room and dreaded the headlines that would follow -- “Who does this guy think he is?” someone muttered.
I could see his point. I’m no Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho. Not yet anyway…

“This press conference is now closed,” the head of public-relations announced to my relief, “This way, gentlemen,” he added with a smile, showing us the way backstage.

“Now, I know I said you have to be confident in front of the press Bastian,” the club legend whispered in my ear as he placed a comforting arm around my shoulder and led me away from the media circus, “But I didn’t mean that confident. If you weren’t under pressure before, you certainly are now.”
“Yes,” I mumbled in agreement.
“Ah, don’t worry about it. You have my backing and, more importantly, the majority of the club’s board back your appointment too. You’re my choice Bastian. I know you won’t let me down.” he added with a confident, reassuring smile as we passed by the last of the trigger-happy cameramen.
“Thank you Der Kaiser. I will try my best,” I replied with renewed vigour.
“I know you will. Bayern is a great club. Besides, if you don’t bring home a trophy after that press-conference you’ll be laughed out of town,” he chortled, before adding, “And you can stop with this Der Kaiser business too. Have you seen my legs recently? I’m hardly the defensive powerhouse of seasons past. Call me Franz, it is my name after all.”

Saturday, June 13th 2009.

It was 7am when I walked into the kitchen -- the aroma of brätwurst browning under the grill eased the ache of my rumbling stomach. I sat down and enjoyed breakfast with my wife, Anita.
“The paper’s arrived,” she said, sliding it across the table.
“Really? It’s early this morning, isn’t it?” I replied.
“Yes,” she confirmed, “The paper-boy bypassed the whole estate and came running straight to us.”
I knew then that the headline would not be kind to me…

The Dutch Master is gone. Now for der Dorftrottel!

These were the unfortunate words etched into the front page of the morning paper . The same paper my family, my friends and my neighbours would all read in due course. It wouldn’t be long before the whole of Germany and beyond laughed at my expense.
“Maybe they‘re right?” I mused aloud, “Maybe I should have stayed with the Under-19s?”
“It doesn’t matter what they say or write Bastian,” my wife snapped in anger in response to the harsh words written in blood-red ink, “You were hand-picked for this job ahead of many great managers. It’s time for you to step out from the shadows and take your place in the limelight. You’ll show them. You‘ll show them all.”

Anita is my rock… my guiding light.

Saturday, June 13th 2009 -- 7.45am.

“Bastian!” a sweet voice called as I walked to my car, “Bastian Badstuber!” I turned to see a pretty young woman scrambling towards me with clipboard in hand.
“Sorry, but interviews are by appointment only,” I replied.
“Please,” she puffed as she came to a stop a yard or so before me, “I’m not from the papers.”
“Then what do you want?”
“I’m at university,” she replied, “I saw your press conference yesterday. I like your manner. I love your self-confidence. I want to write an essay on you. Please?”
“No thanks,” I answered politely. She was a fine woman -- 21 at a guess, with black, shoulder-length hair; dark brown eyes behind slim framed glasses; golden skin, and an hourglass figure like that of the dreamiest librarian. Her perfume tingled and tantalised my nostrils. She was a beauty, for sure, but I didn’t have time for essays.

Saturday, June 13th 2009 -- 9am.

I arrived at the club’s training ground an hour before training was due to commence. Andries Jonker (my assistant-manager for the coming season) greeted me at the facility’s entrance and led me inside to the lounge.
“Well Bastian,” he began, “I thought you might want to get a feel for the team as soon as possible.”
“Yes, of course,” I replied. I’d seen them train and play matches before, but never in the role of First Team Manager.
“Good,” he added, “I’ll organise a training match against the reserves for 11am. That’ll give you time to introduce yourself to the players before the coaches put them through their warm-up sessions.”
“Sounds good,” I replied. It was the first time I’d met Andries and I must admit that I was impressed with his attitude and personality. I have no doubts he will prove a valuable asset to me during the coming year.

Saturday, June 13th 2009 -- 9.30am.

The players arrived for training in drips and drabs. I welcomed each and every one of them with a handshake and a smile -- engaging in idle chat for a moment or two. I didn’t need to know their back-stories or what made them tick just yet -- that could wait for another day. Today was about settling into my new surroundings and casting my eye over the talent available.

Saturday, June 13th 2009 -- 10.45am onwards.

I’d selected a squad of 21 players for the training match and ran it by Andries.
“A basic 4-4-2 formation?” he queried.
“Yes,” I answered, “I thought it best to keep everything simple for this game.”
“Good idea,” Andries replied with a nod of his head, “Let the players impress you without constraints.”
“That’s the plan,” I mused.
“Right, I’ll gather the players and inform them of your starting line-up. Kick-off’s in 15 minutes.”
“Thanks,” I answered, “I’ll grab a couple of coffees and meet you at pitch side.”

Bayern Munich vs. Bayern Reserves.

“Go out and enjoy yourselves,” I told the players before the game, “Show me how good you are.”

The match was good, though littered with substitutions. I was happy to see most of the squad take to the pitch for at least 25 minutes. I was impressed, in particular, by the Croatian lad Ivica Olic. His work rate was phenomenal and he fully deserved his two-goal haul. French international Franck Ribéry, the team’s star player, completed the scoring in the second-half with a sure finish from the edge of the box.
The game proved a worthwhile exercise. Certain questions were answered, but, in truth, many stones remained unturned.
For one, I wasn’t sure if 4-4-2 would provide the results required to keep me in this job. It worked today, but today was only a low-key kick-about against inferior opposition.
At least we have more friendly games coming up soon to iron out any problems. Andries has compiled a pre-season fixture list for the first-team, in which we'll pit-our-wits against Vannes OC, Zulte Waregem, Antwerp, KV Mechelen, Urawa Reds and Ascoli. All of these games will be away from home. I will trust his judgement.

This afternoon I am due to meet Franz to discuss possible transfers. I imagine Uli, Karl and Christian will be there too -- they are the president, chairman and director of football, after all. It will be an honour to meet these former greats.

Saturday, June 13th 2009 -- 3pm.

Headquarters of FC Bayern München e. V.

“Good afternoon Mr. Badstuber,” the president’s secretary smiled as I entered the reception, “Go straight through. They’re expecting you.”
“Thank you.” I replied, whilst pushing open the door and stepping into the president’s plush office.

“Bastian,” Franz smiled, “I heard about the game today. Good result.”
“Yes,” I replied, “It was a good run-out. The reserves put up a good fight.”
Franz then introduced me to Uli Hoeneß (the president), Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (the chairman) and Christian Nerlinger (the Director of Football). I can’t deny I felt a little inferior in their company. After all, I’d watched these guys strut their stuff on the greatest stages of football. Obviously, I was too young to have seen Uli play live, but my father had been an avid fan of the club and had bought all the end-of-season videos. My father loved this club -- it’s such a shame he couldn’t see me right now. His son Bastian in charge of his favourite team. He would have been so proud of me.

“Finally,” Karl smiled, shaking my hand, before, tongue-in-cheek, “I’ve waited a long time to meet Germany’s greatest ever manager.”
“I’m guessing you saw the press conference,” I laughed.
“Yes,” he replied, “I like a man with confidence.”

A nice light-hearted beginning I thought, but it didn’t take long for the real business to start…
“We are the bookies favourite’s for the title -- obviously, we expect you to achieve this. Last year was unpleasant for us -- sure, Wolfsburg are a good team, but we should be above them. Bayern Munich doesn’t recognise second place,” Uli said with a stern undercurrent to his voice.
I took this as a veiled warning -- my position in the club is by no means 100% secure.
“Christian takes charge of transfer matters,” Uli told me, “If you feel we need to strengthen a certain position, tell him. He will do the rest.”
“Ok,” I replied, “Do I get any say in the players that come in?”
“Usually, I’ll write up a short-list,” Christian began, “Then I’ll bring it to you and see what you think. You can add some suggestions to the list at that point and then I’ll take it from there. The final say is mine -- I have to protect the long term aims of the club, but, of course, you will have some input. After all, there’s no point in me signing a player you don’t like.”
“That sounds fair,” I replied. I understood the need for some sort of consistency when it comes to signings -- if things don’t go well, I might not be the manager this time next year.
“The scouts are currently running the rule over the entire national team set-up. There’s some great German players out there and it would be good if we could bring some home-grown talent to Bayern. Khedira and Ozil have come to our attention after some great performances and we’ll be keeping a close eye on them over the coming weeks.”
Khedira… Ozil… mouth-watering prospects, I thought. It would be good to have them in my team.
“We don’t have much money left on the budget this year though,” Christian added, “So we might have to wait until January to approach their clubs.”
“Yes,” Karl interrupted, “We’ve spent heavily already this summer. The stadium repayments are a strain on our finances too, but Audi have recently paid 90 million euros for shares in FC Bayern München e. V. This will help pay off the stadium debts, so any monies collected from out-going transfers can at least go straight into the kitty for new players.”

To some, including myself, Bayern could be considered a complicated club. It is ran by FC Bayern München AG, a spin-off organisation owned by FC Bayern München e. V. -- Audi and sports giant Adidas both own shares in the latter.

“Don’t forget about Deutsche Telekom,” Uli added, “We’re negotiating a new kit sponsorship deal with them at the moment. Hopefully, we’ll be able to add some of this to the transfers fund.”

The meeting came to a close at 3.45pm and Franz offered to take me on a guided tour of the stadium. I’d worked at Bayern for five years now, but, in my role as youth coach, I had rarely gotten to visit the famous Allianz-Arena.

Please be kind, lol. Updates will follow in next day or two.

Last edited:
Good OP although it will be better to keep your future updates short

Good OP although it will be better to keep your future updates short

Disagree tbh, I enjoyed reading that - set the scene really well!

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out...:)

Thanks for your comments guys -- appreciate your time in reading it :) Does anyone think I should use screenshots now and then or just keep it as text?

Thanks for your comments guys -- appreciate your time in reading it :) Does anyone think I should use screenshots now and then or just keep it as text?

Mix it up - Do some with more text, and some with more pictures, just to keep things fresh. That's what I've been trying to do in my story anyway, after it was getting a bit 'wordy'!

Mix it up - Do some with more text, and some with more pictures, just to keep things fresh. That's what I've been trying to do in my story anyway, after it was getting a bit 'wordy'!

Sounds like the best way forward. Thanks. I've been following your story since you first posted it :)

Embracing the Allianz Arena

Saturday, June 13th 2009 -- 4pm, approximately.

Embracing the Allianz Arena…

I tailed Franz’s Audi RS6 Avant through the dense rush-hour traffic -- all the way to the stadium. It’s a nice car -- boasting a V10 engine with 580 horsepower capable of reaching 0-62 mph in 4.6 seconds. It’s amazing that the top brass at the club get these machines for free.

It didn’t take long for the stadium to come into view. It is a sight matched only by breathtaking mountainous landscapes and sunsets. At night it’s even grander -- imagine a giant, glowing bee-hive and you’ll get the basic picture. When Bayern play at home the entire outer casing lights up and fills the sky with the famous red of Germany‘s powerhouse football club. At other times, it boasts the blue of TSV 1860 München, our city rivals, and on international days it proudly declares the brilliant white of our national side. If man is ever to challenge the artistry of nature, the Allianz Arena would be a good starting point.

I followed Franz as he pulled into the staff parking lot -- every space with a golden name plate for identification. And then I saw it -- First Team Manager, Bastian Badstuber -- and almost veered into a security officer.
“Sorry,” I called out my window.
At last, it is beginning to hit home -- I am the manager of Bayern Munich!

We parked ours cars and walked the short distance to the main entrance. A few supporters spotted us -- I say us, they spotted Franz and came running for an autograph. “I would suggest you get this man’s signature too,” Franz smiled in reply as he penned his legendary mark on their shirts and notepads, “He is the new manager, after all.”
Signing autographs -- I never dreamt such a day would come!

Inside, Franz led me straight through the reception to a hallway filled with hanging pictures of former greats -- luminaries such as Paul Breitner, Sepp Maier, Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck, Gerd Müller and, of course, Uli and Franz dominate the 1970s section. The 80s pays homage to Klaus Augenthaler, Dieter Hoeneß, Roland Wohlfarth and Karl, the club chairman. The 90s and 2000s recognises the greatness of Stefan Effenberg, Lothar Matthäus, Giovane Elber, Oliver Kahn, Bixente Lizarazu and Mehmet Scholl, to name but a few. This club has provided the playing field for some of the greatest footballers in history -- there is no denying that.

The hall led us to the inner sanctum of the stadium -- the trophy room. The air filled with the aromas of fine leathers, varnished woods and, most prominently, the unmistakeable glory of highly-polished silver. This is a place of great pride. A place where the achievements of Germany’s most successful club, and the great men who made it possible, are honoured.

No one can argue with Bayern's claims of dominance -- not even the most ardent of Nuremberg fans -- the trophy room backs up all their arguments…
21 Bundesliga titles; 15 times winners of the DFB-Pokal cup; DFB-Super Cup winners on 3 occasions; 4 Champions League/European Cup trophies; 1 Cup Winners Cup medal; a Uefa Cup victory; and 2 Intercontinental Cup wins. If this isn’t considered a trophy-laden past, I don’t know what is.

After taking in the club’s past successes, we moved out onto the pitch. Awesome -- the only word that sprang to mind. The pitch, an immaculate carpet of velvet-like grass; the two tier seating area peering down at us from an almighty height.

My legs felt heavy; my head light. I can’t imagine what I will feel when this place is filled to the rafters -- a little less than 70,000 Bayern fans singing their hearts out; screaming ‘til their throats are hoarse; rejoicing as their favourite players stride to victory. I have been in the crowd as a spectator myself -- I’ve witnessed the amazing partisan atmosphere -- it is no wonder the number 12 shirt has been retired in recognition of their unconditional support.

“This is our theatre,” Franz announced with great pride, “The players are our finely tuned orchestra. You, Bastian, are the conductor entrusted with orchestrating brilliance from the team. Make this place yours -- inspire your charges and dominate all who dare challenge us!”

Last edited:
Sunday, June 14th 2009 to Saturday, 11th July 2009.

Sunday, June 14th 2009 to Saturday, 11th July 2009.

I decided it would be best if I kept a low profile over the next couple of weeks -- Andries and Franz took care of media duties for me (there were no matches or transfers to talk about, so I had no real need to waste time in front of cameras and microphones.) This suited me down to the ground. I wanted to get to grips with the job at hand -- without needless distractions.

The team is training well. There are great players and great personalities in this squad. As a result, I’ve told Christian to give me more time to identify any weaknesses. At the moment, I see only strong points. The reserves and Under-19s are filled with players of high quality too -- it would be foolish to pay out millions on a new player without conducting a full and thorough investigation into the players already at our disposal.

I can’t wait for our first friendly to commence -- I am bursting at the seams with anticipation.

Pre-Season Update...

Saturday, July 11th 2009.

It was late afternoon when the first-team squad and backroom staff boarded a plane to Brittany, France. We played cards, listened to music and chatted to pass the time. The flight was relatively short, smooth and relaxed -- the atmosphere amongst the players good. We landed at about 8.30pm and stepped onto a private coach -- the drive to the hotel would take no more than 45 minutes.

After check-in, we all enjoyed a meal in the hotel’s restaurant before retiring to our rooms at around 10.45pm. I telephoned Anita to wish her goodnight -- something I always do when away from home. I don’t like leaving her alone in our marital home, but it is an unfortunate requirement of the job. Obviously, the club don’t rule us with an iron-rod and, on longer journeys, wives and girlfriends are able to follow us on our travels. Anita doesn’t seem to mind too much. We’ve only been married for two years, but she is happy to back me in my career. She’s a great woman -- I met her when I was 26 -- a month or so before I was offered the Under-19s job at Bayern Munich.

Shortly before dozing off, I received a call from Christian, “Liverpool have lodged a bid for Hamit Altintop -- 4,500,000 sterling. What do you think?”
“Hamit is a good player,” I answered, “But we do have multiple options in his position.”
I put Christian on hold and called Andries, “What do you think?”
“Görlitz, Lahm and Lell can all play in the right-back position, but Hatim has great experience at both club and international level,” he replied.
“Yes,” I answered.
“On the other hand, I’d be happy with the other lads and there’s a couple of players in the youth squad who could act as cover,” he continued, “4,500,000 pounds could be put to good use strengthening weaker areas of the squad.”
“Yes,” I agreed -- I’d been thinking the same myself.
“Christian,” I said, putting him back on line, “Accept the bid. I feel we have enough cover in this position. I will talk with Hamit in the morning. I’m sure he won’t be too disappointed -- Liverpool is a great club.”

Last edited:
Epic so far mate, I like Bayern so shall defo be following, plus I like your style of writing :)

Epic so far mate, I like Bayern so shall defo be following, plus I like your style of writing :)

Thanks :) There should be an update later. This one will include a game -- at last, lol.

Thanks :) There should be an update later. This one will include a game -- at last, lol.

Aww good I'll look forward to it, you should have a look at mine too and see what I'm doing with your club, i notice your Tottenham fan ;)

Good luck in your first game :)

Aww good I'll look forward to it, you should have a look at mine too and see what I'm doing with your club, i notice your Tottenham fan ;)

Good luck in your first game :)

Cheers -- I've been reading through your Spurs story now and then. Just done a catch up -- looking good :)

Friendly vs Vannes OC

Sunday, July 12th 2009.

The team gathered for breakfast at 8am. The atmosphere was good, if a little sleepy at times. Forty-five minutes later, the players returned to their rooms to prepare for light training. The game against Vannes OC kicks-off at 4pm so I asked Andries to go easy on them this morning -- an hour maximum, before we regroup for lunch and then head off to the stadium.

I took Hamit to one side and informed him of the previous nights developments. He was disappointed that the club had accepted a bid for him. He’s only been at Bayern for two years and fancied himself as a first-regular, but, upon hearing the accepted bid came from EPL giant’s Liverpool, he was a little more receptive to the idea.
“They are a good club,” he mused, before leaving the hotel with his bags in hand. He is booked on a flight to England later this morning. I hope his talks go well.

“Where’s Hamit?” the players asked when they returned to the lobby.
“There’s been some developments,” I replied…

“He’s gone?”
“Maybe,” I answered, “It’s up to him.”
The players fell into silence, bar a few mumblings as they followed Andries out to the hotel‘s Astroturf for their pre-match training session. I’m not sure if they are upset at the possible departure of a valued team-mate or worried who might be next out of the door?

At 1pm I ushered the players onto the coach, “Get your heads on the job ahead lads. I know some of you are good friends with Hamit, but these things happen. We’ve got a match to play this afternoon and I want a good performance.”
I sat down next to Andries and used the journey to finalise plans for the upcoming friendly. I have chosen a squad of 17 players for the match against Vannes OC. Michael Rensing, Hans-Jörg ****, Andreas Görlitz. Christian Lell. Daniel Van Buyten. Holger Badstuber, Philipp Lahm, Danijel Pranjic, Anatoliy Tymoschuk, Mark van Bommel, Christian Saba, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Franck Ribéry, Arjen Robben, and Thomas Müller, Ivica Olic and Miroslav Klose are all in contention to start.
I could have chosen a bigger squad, but I want this match to flow without too many stops brought about by player changes. If I have too many substitutes, I’d be tempted to use them.

The coach came to a stop outside the Stade de la Rabine bang on time -- we had an hour and a half to play with. The players spent 15 minutes signing autographs and posing for photographs with local fans before heading inside to the changing room. Andires and myself were greeted by our opposing numbers and engaged in football related chit-chat for a few minutes.
“You must come and have a drink in my office after the match,” the Vannes OC manager said, “I’ll have a bottle of Chouchen ready for your enjoyment -- no matter what the score.”
“For sure,” I replied with a smile, before following my players into the changing room.

I have decided to approach the match with a positive, attacking mindset and set the team up to play a 4-3-3 formation.

We are the better team for sure and I have told the players I expect their class to shine through today. “There’s 8,319 fans out there. Let’s give them something to remember,” were the last words to leave my mouth before the players stepped out onto the playing field.

The match was easier than I’d expected and the contest had been put-to-bed before the quarter-hour mark. Olic opened the scoring in the opening minute with a fine header, before Klose (10) and Robben (13) got in on the act. Two more fine strikes enabled Olic (29 & 42) to add to the score sheet and his own personal tally for the day and, as a result of his endeavours, the team enjoyed a comfortable 5-0 lead going into the break.

I kept my team-talk short and sweet -- we were the dominant force and the game was practically over (barring a turn-around of epic proportions.) With no injuries or complaints from the players, I decided to keep the same eleven on the pitch for the opening stages of the second-half.

75 minutes passed and there were no additions to the score-line. In truth, the game had gone stale and a boost of fresh legs would do no harm. Pranjic, Schweinsteiger, Ribéry and Müller stripped for action and took to the field in place of Badstuber, Saba, van Bommel and Olic.

To be honest, nothing much changed. The second-half played out entirely in second-gear. I couldn’t moan. I had expected the team’s performance to decline due to the heavy nature of the score-line. It is hard for the players to motivate themselves when a game is so easy. Despite his early exit from the field of play, Olic deservedly picked up the MOM award for his performance.

The players showered and changed before taking to the bar for a well deserved drink. As promised, Andries and I joined our opposite numbers for a glass of fine mead. “Wow,” I gasped, after gulping down a good mouthful of the honey flavoured beverage, “This is strong stuff!”
“Aye,” our hosts chuckled, “14% to be exact.”

Half-an-hour later we re-boarded the coach… “The game became a lazy affair,” Andries slurred, after taking his seat, “But good preparation all the same.” …and returned to the hotel to pack our bags. We are due at the airport in a few hours -- Belgium is our next destination.

Last edited: