Being Bastian... (A Bayern Munich Story)

17th July 2009...

17th July, 2009.

This morning, I went to see the hotels manager to raise issue over the drunken man wandering the hallway the other night. I know I’m a day late with my complaints, but it’s been annoying me.

Unfortunately, I was to discover that all ‘non--Bayern’ guests had received their keys from reception well before the time of the incident…

There is nothing worse than being left red-faced. It would appear it was one of my own party causing havoc in the dead of night! But who?

My guess is Franck. He overslept, arrived at training looking terrible and threw up under physical stress. Now that I think about it, it has to have been him. Ill need proof though, before barging in with all guns blazing.

2pm -- 6pm.

We arrived at Antwerps Bosuil stadium and prepared for the match in similar manner to the previous friendlies. By all accounts, Antwerp are of a good standard and should provide us with a stern test.

I named the team -- Franck will begin on the bench.

Bayern : Hans-Jörg ****, Andreas Görlitz, Danijel Pranjic, Christian Lell, Daniel Van Buyten, Anatoliy Tymoschuk, Holger Badstuber, Mark van Bommel, Arjen Robben, Thomas Müller, Ivica Olic.

Substitutes : Maximilian Riedmuller, Philip Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Christian Saba, Franck Ribéry, Michael Rensing, Miroslav Klose.

Antwerp 0 Bayern Munich 4.

Attendance : 15,513.

Fans were treated to a fine spectacle of football today. My lads performed brilliantly and never looked like losing. Van Bommel opened the scoring as early as the fifth minute -- tapping home from close range after good build-up play.

View attachment 93878
Mark van Bommel opened the scoring.

Robben, the flamboyant Dutch winger, doubled the lead moments before the half-time whistle.

On 55 minutes, I introduced fresh legs to the action -- Klose and Saba replacing Tymoschuk and Müller. I also decided to throw Franck into the fray. Granted, he’s been a pain in the *** at times, but it’s difficult to ignore his exceptional talents when on a football pitch. No matter what personal differences may arise, it would be foolish of me to hold grudges in this cut-throat business.

Barely four minutes later, with ease and grace, Franck thundered in an unbelievable 30 yard effort. The fans went wild and stood to applaud, “What a goal!” they screamed.

Antwerp ‘shut up shop’ after that strike and it became frustratingly difficult for us to breach their back four. Sure, we kept possession and made them run around like headless chickens, but I wanted more. We might come up against spoiling tactics in the league, perhaps even in Europe, so we must learn to deal with it better and create opportunities.

“Well done,” I said, offering my hand to Andries, as the referee drew breath to blow for full-time.

“Wait,” he urged, pointing to the pitch…

Robben had just gathered the ball close to the half-way line and embarked on a mazy run, “Pass, pass, pass!” I called, noticing Klose in space. He didn’t listen, perhaps he didn’t hear, but…

BOOM! Top corner! What a goal!

View attachment 93879
Arjen Robben celebrates his wonder strike.

“He’s greedy,” Andries said with a smile, “But hey, he can certainly play!”

Andries was right, Robben had been a constant thorn in Antwerps side. He is going to be a major player for us this season, of that I have no doubts.

“Excellent performance,” I said as the players entered the dressing room, “We need to work on breaking down a deep defensive line, but you did well out there.”

Now for another road trip… next stop, Mechelen.

Last edited:
This thread should be aka "The Frank Ribery Show" - what high-jinx will he get up to next!? <)

How do you add pictures mate?

When you start your post click on the button that says 'Go Advanced'. Then scroll down and you'll see manage attachments. Click that and upload your images. When done, find the section of your text where you want the images to be and press the little paperclick icon. In the drop down menu you'll see the images you've just downloaded -- click on the one you want to place :)

I've just read through the whole story and its fantastic. A really enjoyable read and is inspiring. Keep going, I'll definately follow!

I've just read through the whole story and its fantastic. A really enjoyable read and is inspiring. Keep going, I'll definately follow!

Thank you :) Glad you're enjoying it -- comments like yours make it all worthwhile :) Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

17th July 2009 -- Late

We left our hotel and headed out to Mechelen -- luckily, our destination is in the province of Antwerp so the journey was much shorter than others we’ve undertaken.

The hotel we will be staying in is wonderfully elegant and peaceful -- a relaxing place to prepare for our upcoming match on the 20th.

18th July.

We spent the bulk of the day training. In all honesty, I wasn’t convinced by our ability to ‘hurt’ Antwerp in the previous game (once they changed to an all-out defensive strategy.)

In the morning, Andries put the players through a tough fitness session -- I’m glad I didn’t have to take part in it!

The afternoon session focused mainly on tactics as we tried to improve on the attacking frailties that had recently come to light. We have some big men up top (Klose, Müller and Gomez when he returns from injury.) I feel we need to use their height to better advantage in certain situations.

19th July.

Again, training was the order of the morning. Andries and the coaches are doing a wonderful job -- the players have a spring in their step and they have the fitness levels of robots. No team will outrun us, that’s for sure.

I praised everyone’s efforts and told them that, come the start of the season, we will all feel and reap the benefits of their hard work.

I gave them all the afternoon off. Mechelen is a great place for tourists, full of history and amazing architecture. Just because we’re here on business, it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be able to witness the beauty of this place for themselves.

BUT, I will keep my eyes and ears open -- I want to catch our ‘party-animal’ red-handed.

Christian rang me late in the afternoon. He has watched Marek Hamsik and agrees that the player has great potential. He will scout two more games before making a decision on whether to lodge a formal bid.

As usual, I rang my wife in the evening and we enjoyed a long chat.

*​

19th July -- Late evening / night.

Either Franck is a clever man or he knows I’m onto him. By 10.30pm every member of the club’s touring party had returned to the hotel sober and happy. Still, I won’t give up the chase.

20th July.

We began the day with light training. Franck has been well-behaved and looks sharp -- is he finally getting his head down after United’s interest rocked the boat? I hope so, but only time will tell. Nevertheless, he has impressed enough to take his place in the starting line-up for this afternoon’s game…

Bayern : Michael Rensing, Christian Lell, Philip Lahm, Daniel Van Buyten, Holgar Badstuber, Anatoliy Tymoschuk, Franck Ribéry, Christian Saba, Ivica Olic, Miroslav Klose, Thomas Müller.

Substitutes : Hans-Jörg ****, Mark van Bommel, Danijel Pranjic, Arjen Robben, Andrea Görlitz, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Kraft.

Last edited:
story looks good mate;
can't wait to see my name mentioned ;)

20th July 2009...

20th July 2009 -- Afternoon.

We arrived at the Veoliastadion, the home ground of Mechelen, and went about our usual business. Autographs, pictures, and general chatting with the gathered masses. After serving our duties, we moved into the stadium and were treated to a guided tour of the trophy room. I believe it’s good to learn the histories of other clubs -- you realise that you’re an important cog in a massive wheel. A wheel that turns the world over.

Mechelen 1 Bayern Munich 4.

A fine, jolly crowd of 13,588 turned out to watch the match. Obviously, the vast majority are supporters of Mechelen, but, as with our previous games, they seem quite happy to have a club like ours in their backyard -- surprisingly, even cheering our goals on occasions.

View attachment 94511
Mechelen fans warm up prior to kick-off.

Today, we witnessed another powerful display from the team and another four goals. We're really finding our feet in front of goal, which is pleasing. The new tactical system that we’d worked on in recent training sessions proved successful. Müller (10), Klose (18), and Olic (26) all got on the score sheet in the first half.

At half-time, the game was as good as over. It’s always hard to give a team-talk in this scenario -- even more so in a friendly -- you can feel complacency setting in. I decided to make a few substitutions. Hopefully, this will ensure we do not fall flat in the second-half.

Kraft, Görlitz, Schweinsteiger and Robben replaced Rensing, Lell, Saba and Olic respectively. The changes seemed to work, initially -- Robben forcing the ball home on 65 minutes to extend our lead to 4-0.

View attachment 94519
Bayern goalscorers -- Müller, Klose, Olic and Robben.

But, after that, we really did take our foot of the gas. Mechelen began to assert pressure and, finally, in the 85th minute our back-line was breached -- Ruben Dannemark pouncing on the edge of the six-yard box to head home a fine cross.

View attachment 94512
Mechelen players celebrate late consolation goal.

It was a bitter pill to swallow. I hate conceding late goals -- no matter how far ahead we may be at the time. Nonetheless, it was another fine performance (on the whole) and I had to be happy with the players. Klose, Müller and Ribéry are worthy of special mention -- they played very well today.

We remained at the Veoliastadion for about two hours after the match and enjoyed the hospitality of our hosts. They are nice, friendly people -- like all those we’ve met in Belgium. Unfortunately, our Belgium adventure is at an end -- tonight, we fly out to Japan.

“It's a **** of a journey for just one match,” I sighed.

Another sweet update pal, how many more friendlies until the start of the season?

Another sweet update pal, how many more friendlies until the start of the season?

Cheers m8. Glad you're still reading :) There's two more friendlies to come -- Urawa Reds and Ascoli. Then the real stuff begins.

I really do appreciate how much time you must of taken on this, your detailing is phenomenal mate. Keep it up :)

It's five star stuff...just realised that I hadn't rated this yet, so have some! I'm eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the drunkard, though I reckon it may be your assistant...

It's five star stuff...just realised that I hadn't rated this yet, so have some! I'm eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the drunkard, though I reckon it may be your assistant...

Nice one, cheers for the rating m8! Thanks :) The drunkard will be revealed in good time, lol :)

This is story is somewhat making me hate Ribery :a

Great job , keep it up!