Benitez should really leave now

SaintSinner

Reaction score
Liverpool started the season with high hopes, building on the form they had at the end of last season. But sadly, Liverpool has fallen from grace; despite performing poor at premier league, they were positive on succesful champions league. Unfortunately, they failed to get pass the group stage, leaving everyone associated with Liverpool angry and disappointed. Their recent loss to Arsenal is the final blow to Rafa Benitez. The team has lost confidence on their manager and gameplay. How long is the club going to retain Benitez. He's a master tactician and has proven his class, but at the moment it might be finally time for him to leave. Liverpool has given him so much time and games to revive the squad, but he has failed each and every time. If the board delays sacking of Benitez, the more Liverpool will drown in their poor form and low morale. May be we will have a new Liverpool coach when we get into new decade. Waiting until next season to get a new manager would jeopardize Liverpool chances of playing at Champions League. Benitez must go now, for the benefit of Liverpool.

hicks and gillet should go too and pay the debt (6)

I don't think he should. Everyone goes through bad spells. Unless your Newcastle, you don't sack someone after they have lost a few games. If that happened then no-one would want to be manager. Come on Liverpool fans. Have some faith in him and you'll be back to winning ways soon!

I have always disliked Rafael Benitez. I think the sooner he goes, the sooner I can liked Liverpool again.

If you sack him, I guarantee you will have a worse season than you are already. Consistency is the key, give until after January, wait and see if he gets any funds and you never know, you might get another striker and grab top four.

I don't think he should. Everyone goes through bad spells. Unless your Newcastle, you don't sack someone after they have lost a few games. If that happened then no-one would want to be manager. Come on Liverpool fans. Have some faith in him and you'll be back to winning ways soon!
lol, sadly, there are ******** in the our board lol.

back on topic, we cant really fault benitez that much as injuries undoubtedly played a tremendous part in liverpool's drop in form. sacking benitez at this moment would be disastrous at this moment. i also doubt he'll leave cos im sure he wants to turn this poor season around as well

Even if they wanted to i don't think they can afford to sack him. He has his own staff (Spanish, most of them) all the way down to the youth team...so if he goes....all his staff go and the payout would be crazy. Then there is the matter of bringing in a new manager, all of his staff and then the Players he wants to buy

Business wise it would be very costly, however I still think Rafa has spent plenty and cannot complain.

Even if they wanted to i don't think they can afford to sack him. He has his own staff (Spanish, most of them) all the way down to the youth team...so if he goes....all his staff go and the payout would be crazy. Then there is the matter of bringing in a new manager, all of his staff and then the Players he wants to buy

we **** afford to do it wi laws but if it got t be done its got t be done.

but who would they get n who do the fans want??

Still there's bad form and then there's only winning 3 games out of 15. That is not top four material.

Yeah, sack him. I agree. He has won the CH League 1 time, but that was in 2005 and we are now in 2009, nearly 2010. He is one of the managers, who have spent most money at all in the league on players. And he is still complaining about the money!!! Come on Rafa and do your job if you can.

Last edited:
yup....sack him and then hire andy gray....he seems like a genius when he talks or is he?:p

Liverpool started the season with high hopes, building on the form they had at the end of last season. But sadly, Liverpool has fallen from grace; despite performing poor at premier league, they were positive on succesful champions league. Unfortunately, they failed to get pass the group stage, leaving everyone associated with Liverpool angry and disappointed. Their recent loss to Arsenal is the final blow to Rafa Benitez. The team has lost confidence on their manager and gameplay. How long is the club going to retain Benitez. He's a master tactician and has proven his class, but at the moment it might be finally time for him to leave. Liverpool has given him so much time and games to revive the squad, but he has failed each and every time. If the board delays sacking of Benitez, the more Liverpool will drown in their poor form and low morale. May be we will have a new Liverpool coach when we get into new decade. Waiting until next season to get a new manager would jeopardize Liverpool chances of playing at Champions League. Benitez must go now, for the benefit of Liverpool.

Expectations of a club should not be based on what we achieved on the season before. Realistic fans would base them on more logical factors such as the players, finances, and take into consideration the other teams. Any Liverpool fan with his head not in the clouds knows that a top 4 finish is about all we can expect in the current climate. Progression past the group stages in the Champions League is also a minimum expectation but it's the first time we have failed to do so since Rafa has been in charge.

The Champions League this season was disappointing and although we were drew with two fairly decent sides in Lyon and Fiorentina we should of qualified. Apart from the first game against Fiorentina we were actually the better side in each of our other games but just failed too put our chances away and ended up dropping points.

Business wise it would be very costly, however I still think Rafa has spent plenty and cannot complain.

If you're going to criticise him over the finances do your research first.

Also business wise I think it would only cost ~£4m to sack Rafa if he was to find another club straight away. But of course there's the cost of a new manager and like Kris said new backroom staff.

Still there's bad form and then there's only winning 3 games out of 15. That is not top four material.

We are 5 points away from the team in 4th at the moment. Considering our run of form I'd say it's pretty much the form of a team who will be challenging for 4th.

To make some excuses too a few of those games have been fairly tough and the results have certainly not reflected the performances.

Yeah, sack him. I agree. He has won the CH League 1 time, but that was in 2005 and we are now in 2009, nearly 2010. He is one of the managers, who have spent most money at all in the league on players. And he is still complaining about the money!!! Come on Rafa and do your job if you can.

If you're going to criticise him over the finances do your research first.

I agree with Lee. Liverpool are in my eyes, one of 2 teams who can realistically challenge for 4th this season - along with Villa.

I agree with Lee. Liverpool are in my eyes, one of 2 teams who can realistically challenge for 4th this season - along with Villa.

If you are looking at current realism, you would have to include Spurs and Man City

Lee, I think you're trying to excuse how badly you're doing by saying "oh well we could be doing worse". The point is you're doing badly for Liverpool standards. You should be securely inside that top 4 and you aren't. Also, of course expectations can be based on the previous season, how else are you mean't to accurately measure how well your squad can perform? It's not like there was an exodus over the summer that completely changed your squad. Smells like a sordid excuse to me.

Its seems like there is a witch hunt out for Benitez at the moment. It has been happening for the last couple of seasons now. This guy gave Liverpool one of their best nights in Istanbul and since then it has been overshadowed by the fallout between the two owners Which is now filtering down to affect the players. I say keep Benitez.

Last season you only lost 2 games in the premier league. Alonso was sold because he wanted to go and the two world class players have been injured nearly most of the season so far. Try being a Spurs fan for sacking managers and then you know what inconsistency is about.

i do not think people should look at past events it is the here and now that counts, at the moment benitez must go as they are out of the title race, out of the league cup and out of europe (well champions league) and there is no garuentee they will win the europa cup.... and then there is the aquilliani factor and the fact when he is given money to spend on players he alwasy plays him on the bench when he is fit enough to start so in my eyes Benitez should definatly go and bring in Lippi or Hiddink

Lee, I think you're trying to excuse how badly you're doing by saying "oh well we could be doing worse". The point is you're doing badly for Liverpool standards. You should be securely inside that top 4 and you aren't. Also, of course expectations can be based on the previous season, how else are you mean't to accurately measure how well your squad can perform? It's not like there was an exodus over the summer that completely changed your squad. Smells like a sordid excuse to me.

I didn't say that Ad. We're not getting the right results at the moment and there's certainly no denying that. What I'm saying is that people shouldn't get so angry because we are out of the title race, when we have no right of even being in it in the first place.

Basing our expectations on a season where we overachieved is just poor decision making and is illogical. It's why the board only expect Champions League qualification each season at the moment. Like I said earlier expectations should be based on the squad, finances, and the other teams. Of course it's always possible for Liverpool to be challenging for the title but if you base it on the facts & figures there was only a 3% (I think it was 3%, somewhere around that anyway) chance of us actually topping the table this season.

If you want reasons for why we're not playing well then there are various factors to consider. The amount of injuries we have had, the lack of finances, poor refereeing decisions, and in some cases just plain bad luck.

Its seems like there is a witch hunt out for Benitez at the moment. It has been happening for the last couple of seasons now. This guy gave Liverpool one of their best nights in Istanbul and since then it has been overshadowed by the fallout between the two owners Which is now filtering down to affect the players. I say keep Benitez.

Last season you only lost 2 games in the premier league. Alonso was sold because he wanted to go and the two world class players have been injured nearly most of the season so far. Try being a Spurs fan for sacking managers and then you know what inconsistency is about.

There is definitely some sort of vendetta from the media against Rafa Benitez. Everything he does is criticised, whereas other managers are given easy rides by the press. Ferguson and 'arry Redknapp are probably the biggest examples I can think of.

When Redknapp leaves Crouch or Keane on the bench after they have been on a good run of form, nothing is said about it but if it was Benitez the cameras would be cutting to Keane at every break in play. When Redknapp plays Robbie Keane on the left wing nothing is said about it, but when it's Benitez he gets criticised for wasting his talents.

If Benitez was the manager who was putting the Michael Owen on the bench after scoring a mid-week hat-trick only to lose the game without scoring a goal. Benitez would be ripped to shreds. Don't even get me started on the Rafa Rant and Fergusons (embarrassingly inaccurate) Rant on Liverpools spending and how they were both portrayed.

I'm not criticising those two managers for their decisions, because they have their reasons, but it just goes to show that the way they are treated is not equal.

i do not think people should look at past events it is the here and now that counts, at the moment benitez must go as they are out of the title race, out of the league cup and out of europe (well champions league) and there is no garuentee they will win the europa cup.... and then there is the aquilliani factor and the fact when he is given money to spend on players he alwasy plays him on the bench when he is fit enough to start so in my eyes Benitez should definatly go and bring in Lippi or Hiddink

Benitez has introduced Aquilani at the perfect time in my opinion. Maybe if some of our other players had been 100% fit you would of seen him introduced a bit earlier (but not against Debrechen and Blackburn for his own well being). Introducing an unfit, unsharp player into a team already carrying other players is just a bad idea.

Also, how do you know that Aquilani is fit enough? Surely the managers, coaches, and physios who have worked with him for the past few months know a lot more about his match fitness than you.