Best calculated position for player! Updated 2010-11-19 (Export from FM now working)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laan

Reaction score
This all started out as a project where i myself weren't sure what role and duty i should play a certain player in so i build an application that you enter your players skills into and it calculates a "key index" for each role and duty available.

This is in no way any certain fact that he will preform best in that role and duty, i've just taken the prioritized stats from FM2011 for each role and duty, there might be other important stats the each role and duty will benfit from but i guess this should give you a certain clue about where to play your players.

Some quick instructions on how to use the application.

1. Surf with your favorite web browser to http://www.thoor.se/jonas/fm2011/. UPDATE - Had to move the page to a more dedicated webserver due to the massive amount of traffic, thanks for the intrest in the tool!
2. Choose if you want to check a Goalkeeper or Outfielder by clicking the tab of your choise (i've split them up since they have diffrent stats in the game).
3. Click the "Load values!" button and enter your players skill values in a long string seperated by spaces i.e. 10 13 14 16 9 2, keep in mind that you must include all 36 skills for a player and they need to be a value between 1-20 the order should be Goalkeeping/Technical Attributes from top to bottom then Mental Attributes from top to bottom then Physical Attributes from top to bottom. Click another "Load values!" button and your inputed stats should appear on the screen, if they look correct click "Calculate!".
4. Now a dialog window will appear with prefered roles and duties, if you chose to check your Goalkeeper just 1 column will appear, if you chose Outfielder you will get 3 columns, 1 for Defender roles and duties, 1 for Midfielder roles and duties, 1 for Striker roles and duties.

Suggestions on how to improve this are welcome, unconstructive posts will be ignored.

EXPORT/IMPORT FUNCTION

I finally managed to parse the exported Text File from FM player profile for direct import into the calculator, on how to export your players attributes to a text file i've made a few screenshots to better show you all, after you saved the file localy on your computer just go to the calculator and use the new field under the quick load and browse to your exported FM profile file and click "Load values from file" this should work exactly like the quick load but without having to input a single number.

REMEMBER!!! Loading a Goalkeeper in the Outfielder-tab and vice versa wont work!!!

Check the attached files export_step[1-4].jpg for more information!!!

TEAM KEY HOW TO

In the informations-tab of the calculator you can now click a button called "Get Team Key" to get your own unique key that you can add when saving completly inputed attributes to your own Team!
Input the attributes like before with either the quick loader or by doing it manualy, when the attributes are loaded click the "Add player to your team"-button, enter your Team Key that you generated, enter the players name, select his position Goalkeeper/Outfielder and click "Add player"-button, the player is now added to your own Team Key-list.
To quickly load this players attributes into the calculator just go to the Information-tab click "Load my team"-button enter your Team Key and voila the players are there select either to load the attributes into the calculator or delete the player from your list.
!!!KEEP TRACK OF YOUR TEAM KEY!!!

UPDATES

* Noticed i missed Attacking Midfielder, added it. (2010-11-16)
* Updated the interface for Quick load, no longer a own popup window instead available right over the attributes. (2010-11-17)
* Updated the interface for attributes, you can now enter/edit a value manually or use the newly added -/+ signs to step up/down the value. (2010-11-17)
* Added a filter for Outfielders, you can now chose to show Defender/Midfielder/Striker in your calculation, this should also speed up the loading of result windows some if you pick just one position. (2010-11-17)
* Added a slider to allow for limited number of hits in the calculation. (2010-11-17)
* Added a information tab with some short information along with quick instructions on how to use the calculator. (2010-11-17)
* Added a !-icon in the result window that when you hover it shows you the prioritized attributes for that Role and Duty. (2010-11-17)
* Added a function to request your own Team Key a unique key that you keep track of that makes it possible to save your favourite players attributes in your own Team list to be loaded quick and smooth into the calculator for later use!!! (2010-11-18)

On the todo list is:

* Perhaps add a Name field and start saving calculations for public search availabilty

!!!LIKE STATED PREVIOUSLY THIS IS IN NO WAY 100% CORRECT AND JUST GUIDELINES FOR WHAT POSITION YOUR PLAYERS WILL PREFORM BEST IN!!!

Over and out
Laan

Last edited:
Looks good. One criticism though. Isn't the entering of values a bit clunky? I mean, wouldn't it be better just to have a text field for each attribute to reduce the chance of user error and also make the interface a bit more 'user friendly'?

I understand this is probably going to be harder to implement than your current solution, however.

this is Jean-Patricks best roles:
Full Back (Support)
Predicted index: 12.6
View attachment 113329

I tell you something, this is a great tool to have, could I post the link in the What roles/duties suit my player thread please? Did you create this yourself? It is a bit time consuming however, but on the whole, it is a great tool and thank you very much for sharing this with us..

Please explain what the highest index is, is it also out of 20? like the players stats? the higher the better?

I started out with text fields for every skill but that took even longer time with tabing/clicking to each new field, i agree that it's not optimal the way it's now and i will try to figure out some better way to solve the input mather.

By user friendly you mean? Or just the input "problem" that's making stuff not user friendly.

Thanks for input!

Laan

yeah just the input side of it, once used to it though, it takes a matter of seconds really ;)

By user friendly you mean? Or just the input "problem" that's making stuff not user friendly.
Yeah. For example: there is a chance the user could enter a attribute twice by accident , causing all subsequent numbers to be incorrect.

Another thing, wouldn't it be easier to create something like this in an Excel spread sheet? Just an observation ;)

Yeah. For example: there is a chance the user could enter a attribute twice by accident , causing all subsequent numbers to be incorrect.

Another thing, wouldn't it be easier to create something like this in an Excel spread sheet? Just an observation ;)

The system checks that 36 values are input any other will give you a alert that something is wrong, also it checks that all 36 values are between 1-20, but yes the issue of figuring out what skill you missed if you entered only 35 is still a issue then you will need to rewrite the input line.

Yea might be easier with Excel but i wanted something that were available regardless of the person had Excel installed or not (and im not that good at Excel :p).

Tried on Ramires. Shows his best position as full/wingback. Which is exactly where i trained him and the coaches tend to agree with this, i.e they reckon thats his best position.
So great tool, yeah.

I tell you something, this is a great tool to have, could I post the link in the What roles/duties suit my player thread please? Did you create this yourself? It is a bit time consuming however, but on the whole, it is a great tool and thank you very much for sharing this with us..​

Please explain what the highest index is, is it also out of 20? like the players stats? the higher the better?​

Thanks for liking it!

Sure link it if you feel that people can benefit from it. I will try to figure out some better way to input the player skills in the future, this were the best i could come up with at the moment without geting a cramp in my clicking/tabing-finger.

Yes the index spans from 1-20 with 1 being worst and 20 being best.

That's really impressive, aesthetically as well as logically. Bookmarked!

Great tool. I don't know, but is there no way to get a database with players already in there, then you can type in a player and import the attributes from a database, rather than inputting all the values manually?

Awesome tool man....Hats off!!!!
Very helpful in my Burnley save..actually helped me in signing the very best....
Guess what...I deployed them in the suggested roles and beat man utd 3-2 at Old Trafford :)
I did what they usually do to them (my 3rd goal came in the last minute of 4 mins added)

Great tool. I don't know, but is there no way to get a database with players already in there, then you can type in a player and import the attributes from a database, rather than inputting all the values manually?

I've look for a way to extract the attributes from FM2011 directly but haven't found any way or any option ingame to export attributes to XML or whatever, if someone knows of a way to do this please send me a PM here since then i could adapt the system to take some better input options then the current one.

Tbh I reckon it would be good enough just splitting it up so you had to enter 3 sets of data. 1 for Goalkeeping/Technical, 1 for Mental and 1 for Physical. That way it would make it a bit easier to identify where you missed a number or duplicated a number.

This is pretty nice, how exactly are you calculating this?

This is pretty nice, how exactly are you calculating this?

No more magic then take the prioritzed skills from each role and duty add them up and divided them by the number of skills.

I downloaded a tool from ProZone for last year's FM, but unfortunately I couldn't find it for this season. This has replaced it, and I thank you!

Its a great tool, but surely a player's height and weight can affect his suitability as a target man, for example? Would there be a way of including these?

Its a great tool, but surely a player's height and weight can affect his suitability as a target man, for example? Would there be a way of including these?

Yea like i wrote it's no guarantee that it will be the best fit for the player, since i dont know how FM calculates height/weight when it comes to suitability for a role and duty i'm not sure how i would implement a feature like that :S

If someone knows more about this please let me know and i'll try and work on a formula, or if it even mathers? might be that like the Heading attributes is calculated base on height and Strength from weight? Not sure at the moment how to add into the system :O

Nice tool, albeit a little time consuming at first, and would take a while to check your whole squad.
But on the whole really neat piece of kit and i will definetly be using it again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.