Best 'Defensive Midfielder' in the league 'at the moment' ?

Vote for the best

• Total voters
Biased viewpoint coming here, Lucas.

Has made the most tackles out of anyone this season, combined with how much he has improved and how important he is to us now, it has to be him.

Best tackler in the league based off stats, as mentioned. One of the players I trust completely.

This part really irritates me. The same stat was thrown out a lot last season by Liverpool fans, yet they never brought up who had lost the most tackles? Lucas. 19 more than the second most with 61. 111 tackles won and 61 lost with a tackle success rate of 64% is not fantastic at all. Especially when you compare his tackle success with other similar midfielders in the league:

Song (79W - 24L = 76% win ratio, far better than Lucas'),
Parker (93W - 28L = 76% win ratio, again far better than Lucas'),
De Jong (72W 23L = 75% win ratio)
David Vaughan (103W - 37L = 73% win ratio, better than Lucas')
Danny Murphy (84W - 33L = 71%)

For me, Lucas is not even the top 3 holding midfielders in the league. He's a limited player, that is pretty good at what he does, screening the defence, but very little else and offers little going forward. Where as players like Parker, Song and Yaya are all far better all rounded players and incidentally, better at tackling...one of Lucas' prized attributes.

Last edited:
Nigel De Jong, and I'm not being biased. Tough, commited and an excellent hatchet/anchor man. I would take him over the others any day (don't really know why we're not starting him much...)!

Shocked lucas is winning, always thought he was average at best tbf.
Voted for song. (A)

Shocked lucas is winning, always thought he was average at best tbf.
Voted for song. (A)
Meh, I don't think Lucas is too great. He's young, and on form at the moment, though and he guided Liverpool through so hard times. I think it was just some biased Liverpool fans voting for him (no offence meant, notice I wrote 'I think'). By the way, does anyone know whereabouts Lucas is in regards to the Brazilian national team - regularly, substitute or on the fringes of the team? Or has he not made a single appearance of late?

lucas? are people been serious?!?!1 1 of the worst players ive seen in prem league for yr! scot parker must be up there

Still can't believe that Sandro only has 9 votes and Tiote has 22.

Romeu Oriol could very well be added to the list now brilliant player.

Diame from Wigan would be in my top 5, good player imo he could play for one of the "bigger" PL teams :)

Shelvey played the first match in Lucas' absence I believe, and picked up a minor injury. Spearing stepped in and has looked ok, but is never going to look as comfortable as the Brazilian. Liverpool have conceded more goals lately too, which could be an attributing factor of Lucas' absence.

Sigh, really?

I think his fewer appearances this season count against him, he's actually only played 35 times for Tottenham which means people are less likely to have seen him where as Tiote has appeared and started more consistently for Newcastle the past two seasons but overall only 5 times more.

Personally, I think for the best defensive midfielder, Song is probably the best footballer in technical terms although I'd choose De Jong if I wanted a proper no nonsense defensive midfielder. I feel Fletcher is more of a box to box player in the Parker mould.