Best 'Defensive Midfielder' in the league 'at the moment' ?

Vote for the best

• Total voters
I know I'm biased but has to be Song, right? He can still be a bit reckless at times and does concede a lot of niggling fouls (who doesn't?), but over the past two years or so he's transformed from a promising young player who was always just a step away from reaching his potential but never quite got there, to a mature and rounded player.

2.9 tackles and 2.3 interceptions/game are both superb averages - there aren't many players/midfielders who have done that well in both 'categories' this season. He's also been criticised for getting forward too much and not bothering to track back into his own box and help out the defenders - 0.4 blocks/game & 0.8 clearances/game are pretty high for a midfielder.

Add to that his brilliant offensive displays - 1 goal, 5 assists, 1.4 chances created/game & 0.6 through-balls/game - and you can see that he has added to his game so much and is a really top quality and useful player.

But... If I'm not allowed to pick someone from my own team, I think it would have to be Parker (who's not there? Presumably because he's not really a DM) or Lucas, who I think is really t'rrific.

I personally would say De Jong is the best, but i would still have song over him anyday though Wilshere seems to play good with song.