Best finisher ever?

It has to be Jamie Carragher. Every time his chance comes he has acres of space and the keeper has no chance. Too bad its alway in the wrong net. :)

But seriously, it has got to be Emile Heskey.

This link by World soccer lists the 50 greatest off all time and what they achieved.
Greatest Strikers Ever

The top 5 are
5 Romario
4 Marco Van Basten
3 Esubio
2 Ronaldo(brazil)
1 Gerd Muller

Most people say Pele. He wasnt a lethal goalscorer, he was the most complete footballer ever but not THE best finisher

Van Basten, maybe not the best but certainly the most beautiful finisher!

Nr.1: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzGe5sYnhA4"]YouTube - Van Basten - bicycle kick[/ame]

Nr.2: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmAZKvMxuQc"]YouTube - Van Basten - Holland vs Russia 1988[/ame]

Nr.3: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlQ6gtDHXSY&feature=related"]YouTube - Van Basten Milan-Goteborg 25-11-1992[/ame]

Most people say Pele. He wasnt a lethal goalscorer, he was the most complete footballer ever but not THE best finisher

1124 goals in 1184 club games and 77 goals in 92 international games say the complete opposite.

1. Van Nistelrooy
2. Micheal Owen
3. Ronaldo
4. Raul
5. Henry

1124 goals in 1184 club games and 77 goals in 92 international games say the complete opposite.

I don't think many people rate his club achievements so highly as he spent his entire career in Brazil and the US. His international scoring ratio isn't quite as good as Muller or Fontaine, and they are seen as more natural finishers. No doubt that Pele is firmly within the top 10 though

I don't think many people rate his club achievements so highly as he spent his entire career in Brazil and the US. His international scoring ratio isn't quite as good as Muller or Fontaine, and they are seen as more natural finishers. No doubt that Pele is firmly within the top 10 though

But to say he wasn't a lethal finisher is ludicrous.

I think his point is that he wasn't a proper finisher in the mould of Gerd Muller, he was more of an all-round player. Obviously though, yes he was a great finisher.

When people say Ronaldo, can they be more specific.

Although the majority will mean Luiz Ronaldo, C.Ronaldo is up there as well.

Ronaldo > C.Ronaldo. Ronaldo is known as Ronaldo, pretty sure anyone who means C.Ronaldo will state it.

But to say he wasn't a lethal finisher is ludicrous.

He wasn't saying that he wasn't lethal, just that he wasn't necessarily the number one finisher of all time.

He's a great finisher, but not one of the greatest of all time Danny. He needs a few more years of consistent goalscoring. Same with Messi.

I think his point is that he wasn't a proper finisher in the mould of Gerd Muller, he was more of an all-round player. Obviously though, yes he was a great finisher.

Exactly my point,
I say Pele is the best footballer to play on this earth and people still give out.

My point is this.
If you were an midfielder and played a killer ball,who would u like to see on the end of it?
It wouldnt be Pele because he squandered a lot of chances given to him. Phenomenal record but dont rely on just stats. Also the Brazil league was poor defensively at the time and all allacking players were scoring a lot.

He wasn't saying that he wasn't lethal, just that he wasn't necessarily the number one finisher of all time.

His words were;

"He wasn't a lethal goalscorer".

Well Pele only played in Brazil... so i am not realllly sure about him :p

Convenient tweet just popped up while I was viewing this thread:

@OptaJack 34 - Thierry Henry scored against all 34 teams he faced while playing in the Premier League for Arsenal. Awesome. #NYRB

His words were;

"He wasn't a lethal goalscorer".

And i followed it up with this.
he was the most complete footballer ever but not THE best finisher

I appreciate most people have only seen a highlite reel of pele playing and shows some amazing goals. What isnt showed is his misses. He wasnt very composed when shooting.
If given one shot what one player in the world would you put money on to score?
No argument mate as we all have our own opinions :)