Big chance for Chelsea - Ferguson

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 112
  • Views Views 6K
I think Chelsea do have a chance but the positive thing for us is, our first team players have got a week off and will be fresh for the game unlike last week where we had to play mid week game and Arsenal were fully fit and had a week off..

Expecting lot of changes for this game, maybe 9-10 changes. Good to have excellent squad depth.

Considering our home form, I'm very confident about this tie and we have played well against Chelsea for 2-3 seasons (Excluding results).

Sorry to keep asking the same questions: If Utd win, they're 6 points clear with 3 games to go (?) right? And they'd need 4 points to seal the deal...

Hypothetically... Should CHELSEA win, and ARSENAL win, there's three points between all of us? So TECHNICALLY, HYPOTHETICALLY, Arsenal are going to win the league? ;)

It's Utd's to lose, I think. Obviously their squad was tired vs Arsenal, but the pressure was also completely off us. I think Chelsea are still in a similar situation. Utd are favourites - being at home etc. etc. and no one expected Chelsea to be anywhere near this close a month or two ago (bar CJACKO and Ancelotti ;))

Still fancy United to win it, though: 3-1. ManUre to score first, and build up a 2 goal lead. Cheatski to go all out, and be hit on the counter-attack in traditional Utd style.

Rooney, Nani (Lampard, pen), Hernandez.

Sorry to keep asking the same questions: If Utd win, they're 6 points clear with 3 games to go (?) right? And they'd need 4 points to seal the deal...

Hypothetically... Should CHELSEA win, and ARSENAL win, there's three points between all of us? So TECHNICALLY, HYPOTHETICALLY, Arsenal are going to win the league? ;)

It's Utd's to lose, I think. Obviously their squad was tired vs Arsenal, but the pressure was also completely off us. I think Chelsea are still in a similar situation. Utd are favourites - being at home etc. etc. and no one expected Chelsea to be anywhere near this close a month or two ago (bar CJACKO and Ancelotti ;))

Still fancy United to win it, though: 3-1. ManUre to score first, and build up a 2 goal lead. Cheatski to go all out, and be hit on the counter-attack in traditional Utd style.

Rooney, Nani (Lampard, pen), Hernandez.

i think the schalke game was big in lots of ways rested so many key players, and the squad players did really well and will be full of confidence, and the freshness means we negate chelseas advantage of not having a game

if we win, its 6 points with 2 games to, so we would need a point from a last two games

I think Chelsea do have a chance but the positive thing for us is, our first team players have got a week off and will be fresh for the game unlike last week where we had to play mid week game and Arsenal were fully fit and had a week off..

Expecting lot of changes for this game, maybe 9-10 changes. Good to have excellent squad depth.

Considering our home form, I'm very confident about this tie and we have played well against Chelsea for 2-3 seasons (Excluding results).

They have had a week off but Chelsea have had one more day. And didnt Evra play some part on Wednesday and he is massive for Utd. Playing both at the weekends and mid-week wont bother players like that.

They have had a week off but Chelsea have had one more day. And didnt Evra play some part on Wednesday and he is massive for Utd. Playing both at the weekends and mid-week wont bother players like that.

It does. Playing only on weekends is way better than weekends plus midweek game..

It does. Playing only on weekends is way better than weekends plus midweek game..

I think the point he's making is that the top athletes at the top clubs aren't so much affected by a run of games in mid-week and then weekend, but it's important that a) Utd have only just dropped out of the FA Cup so b) they've been playing these kinds of runs for a while. Chelsea were knocked out of the CL a couple of weeks earlier (Utd still going...), knocked out of the FA Cup fairly early.

It may not be a problem at the start of the season when players can comfortably play 3 games in a week but by the end of the season, especially in a game like the FA Cup semi was (fast paced, energetic etc.), these runs are much harder.

You can look at it both ways really. Your way or that players want to play and somtimes its better the more games they play and they are used to these sorts of situations.

I think the point he's making is that the top athletes at the top clubs aren't so much affected by a run of games in mid-week and then weekend, but it's important that a) Utd have only just dropped out of the FA Cup so b) they've been playing these kinds of runs for a while. Chelsea were knocked out of the CL a couple of weeks earlier (Utd still going...), knocked out of the FA Cup fairly early.

It may not be a problem at the start of the season when players can comfortably play 3 games in a week but by the end of the season, especially in a game like the FA Cup semi was (fast paced, energetic etc.), these runs are much harder.

Exactly my point. During April-May 3 games in a week is too much to handle and players do get tired easily after playing non stop football for whole season. Adding to that there is no winter break..

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

You can look at it both ways really. Your way or that players want to play and somtimes its better the more games they play and they are used to these sorts of situations.

Like Joss said, at the start of the season it is not a problem, but during business end where all games are cup finals, it is a big task..

Exactly my point. During April-May 3 games in a week is too much to handle and players do get tired easily after playing non stop football for whole season. Adding to that there is no winter break..

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Like Joss said, at the start of the season it is not a problem, but during business end where all games are cup finals, it is a big task..

Maybe not but they are used to it. They play for a club that are in cup finals reguarly so its nothing new.

Maybe not but they are used to it. They play for a club that are in cup finals reguarly so its nothing new.

Yes and if you check United record after European away tie, its below average.

League Away game after European away game = Drop points. This has happened for few seasons now..

Yes and if you check United record after European away tie, its below average.

League Away game after European away game = Drop points. This has happened for few seasons now..

Thats somthing to do with the teams mentality. The get in a habbit and its hard to break, one day it will be broken and you will be on here saying somthing like "Utd have won all there away games after away CL ties for 3 years" or somthing to that effect. Chelsea dont have that problem and i dont think Arsenal suffer either so its a Utd thing.

Thats somthing to do with the teams mentality. The get in a habbit and its hard to break, one day it will be broken and you will be on here saying somthing like "Utd have won all there away games after away CL ties for 3 years" or somthing to that effect. Chelsea dont have that problem and i dont think Arsenal suffer either so its a Utd thing.

Not just with United. It will happen to any team when ******* sky schedules our games to Saturday lunch time kickoff after European away tie. Not including the Arsenal one though.

And when you play a top team like Arsenal, teams do suffer when they play 3 games in a week, that too at the business end of the season..

Not just with United. It will happen to any team when ******* sky schedules our games to Saturday lunch time kickoff after European away tie. Not including the Arsenal one though.

And when you play a top team like Arsenal, teams do suffer when they play 3 games in a week, that too at the business end of the season..

Maybe so but Utd have a big enough squad to deal with this and are used to it. I agree with your Sky comment but what are you going to do, most of the money Utd get is from Sky so we cant moan can we lol. Its an ugly situation but we have to deal that Sky own the PL.

Back