Biggest flop you bought for a stupid fee?

I signed a young regen called Chevalier for £12m when he was 17. He sat on my bench for 5 years before I finally sold him to PSG for £5m.

5 years later, he is now the world player of the year :(

Tim Krul.15 million for arsenal. Tried to slowly bed him in against "weaker" teams. Scored an own goal on his debut and averaged about 5.5 every game

lol

now, i got another big-flop... a regen, Netinho from Vasco. he was 17 yrs, cost £13 million, and had like 16 games (7 subbed-in), with 3 goals (all in a single game, his debut) and 2 assists, with 6.1 avrg.

loaned him to Wolfsburg next season, and he was avrg 8.05, 23 goals and 14 assists with 30 games, considered to "Player of the World" list... then ive brought him back. :D

but, he came back to his 6 avrg and had only 2 goals these season, in 18 games :mad:. i will sell him ASAP!

My signings usually never flop, but my flops are Mario Balotelli and Antione Griezmann, even though Balotelli was brilliant for me on FM 2009, but flopped badly in FM 2011.

Bought a 25 year old striker called Deeney from Chelsea for 30 million in the 2020 season and over all the season played 30 games and scored 2 goals, both were penalties

Last edited:
I tend to avoid signing Brazilians as I find their fee's and wages are always extraordinarily high so have never tried the likes of Neymar, Damiao, Moura etc.

I can never really remember signing a player for a massive fee who turned out to be terrible. I don't even think I've spent over 30M on a single player in FM12.

In my current save with FCP, I managed to get Iker Muniain on a free transfer and thought it was a complete master-stroke of a signing. But he hasn't been as good as I would have hoped. Scored 13 in 49 appearances, which isn't all that bad but isn't great either compared to my other strikers.

This thread has given me an idea that I find it would be interesting if FM could group together all of your save games in 1 big "manager overview" that gives you your highest transfer fee, etc. I would be curious as to what mines is.

I tend to avoid signing Brazilians as I find their fee's and wages are always extraordinarily high so have never tried the likes of Neymar, Damiao, Moura etc.

i ve already signed all of those 3 brazilians wonderkids, and, the only one i confirm that is always good is Neymar. Lucas Moura is very inconsistant (in a game, make a hat-trick or 4 assists... then, make 5 patetic games), and i just dont know how to make Damiao work (against me, always score... for me, if he did 5 in a season, it is a lot...).

the only brazilians i always sign are Dede and Romulo. they can make one of the most solid defenses...

pastore....bought around 40 mil and BARELY have any assist/goal in the first season. Still have him though, but i'mma let him rot on the bench. Hate doing preferred move for every midfielder T_T

oh... another brazilian guy who is always a big flop for me, is Ganso... and Oscar and Coutinho work very well, for me...

and, if you guys want a real brazilian who is very helpful and cheaper than most, look for Bernardo. he has a good long range shots, and scores tons of free kicks... most of times, i buy him, instead of Ganso, for AM positions...

Signed Abel Hernanez for Parma in 2014 for 21M. In 2 seasons he scored 8 goals in about 60 games. Echanged him for a hot Italian regen from Inter involivng him and 15M. Good player but didnt suit my system.

Would have to be Marek Hamsik for my AFC Telford team...
It was my first season in the prem with them, and I saw Hamsik transfer listed for 15 mill. This was like my entire transfer budget (and over) but I thought it was worth it. His stats had dropped a bit due to a couple of 3 month injuries, but he was still class. Anyway, he ended up getting an average of something like 5.6 in his first 5 games, single handedly crippling my team.. He made like 3 or 4 "mistakes that led to goals", then got injured by one of my youth players -.- was out for 6 months. His attributes went down to barely championship level. Ended up selling him for 1.6 million to Championship side Bournemouth the following summer.
F*ck Darren Smith and his player profiles lol

Another was a really class regen called Lapa.. spent 40 mill on him at the start of the season. He was a striker and after his first ten games he had an average of 6.55 with no goals. Basically I lost it and terminated his contract, then accidentally saved my game :( Haven't played that save since