Blackburn Rovers - A Championship Team in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejayseesee

Lest we forget.
Reaction score
This is my first story on Football Manager but seeing other people's got me interested and why not do it with the team I love, that is Blackburn Rovers. So, to get started - Blackburn are not literally a Championship side - it was just said because of the poor level of football Blackburn are currently playing at the moment. Anyway, to the game - With a massive transfer budget of £0 and £575,000 for player’s salaries - it will not be the best season for me, I am sure. So then, to show you what I am currently working with:
  1. Paul Robinson - Goalkeeper: Fantastic kicking and a very good dominance in the area. Poor at one-on-ones, so a strong backline is required. (Fit)
  2. Lars Jacobsen - Right-back: Signed on a free from Everton, Jars was a great swoop by Big Sam. A below par right-back, which could never replace Ooijer, with fantastic long-throw ability (Fit)

3. Christopher Samba – Centre-back: This 6’7” demon of a centre-back is not a defender to be messed with for balls in the air. Along with Nelsen, a very strong and usually reliable partnership together. More work on tackling and marking would be better but overall, a good defender (Injured)
  4. Gaël Givet – Centre/Left-back: A very consistent, very reliable defender who can easily play on the left and in the centre with ease. Very impressive mental attributes, just need work on technical (Fit)
  5. Ryan Nelsen - Centre-back: A strong, well-minded Captain and one of the most consistent defenders in the league. A very enthusiastic with a poor team around him. (Injured)
  6. Brett Emerton – Right-wing: A very odd winger – the strongest player in the squad, yet one of the fastest also. Work on finishing would make him a good all-rounder. (Injured)
  7. David Dunn – Attacking Midfielder: Not really any attributes that stand out, just a boring all-round midfielder. Natural fitness poor so a gym membership is a must, no matter what the financial state is. (Injured)
  8. Jason Roberts – Striker: A definite workaholic having very high work-rate, determination and aggression attributes. Blackburn’s target man and a real threat with his back to goal. (Fit)
  9. Benni McCarthy – Striker: A striker who knows where the goal is. With a finishing of 17, you can’t knock him. Positioning is awful so will need to improve to be a definite starter every week. (Injured)
  10. Vincenzo Grella – Central Midfield: Unfortunately Blackburn’s best central midfielder in the squad. Can only be classed as a play-maker with high positioning and passing. Needs to be replaced. (Injured)
  11. Morten Gamst Pedersen – Left-wing: Rovers’ best player by far. Loves taking on full-backs and whipping it in. Main free-kick taker and good at curling. A threat from everywhere on the park. (Fit)
  12. Zurab Khizanishvili – Centre-back: A solid back-up defender who is always there when needed. A couple of regular games and he will be back on form. (Fit)

13. Steven N’Zonzi – Defensive Midfield: Another cheap swoop by Mr Allardyce is a good addition to the squad who is impressively taller than Samba. One or two attribute improvements and he is possibly a tall Makelele for the future. (Fit)
  14. Steven Reid – Central Midfield: Unfortunate that Steven is always injured. He is a very attacking midfield with an eye for goal when fit; just those days don’t come very often. (Injured)
  15. Keith Andrews – Attacking Midfielder: Signed by Paul Ince – it is obvious you can’t bring a League One player into the top flight. Works hard just produces nothing. Needs to be replaced. (Fit)
  16. El-Hadji Diouf – Right-wing: A very good winger when he has the ball but not good enough when he doesn’t. Greedy at times when the pass is the best option. Better wingers in the squad. Needs to go. (Fit)
  17. Aaron Doran – Right-wing: Not the best winger in the squad, but has the potential to be as good as Brett. Aaron has a great ability to skin full-backs and leave them for dust, just sometimes takes the ball one step too far and gets tackled. (Fit)
  18. Elrio van Heerden – Attacking Midfielder: Another free thanks to Sam Allardyce, Elrio loves running at defenders, tormenting them and laying off to forwards at the correct moment. (Fit)
  19. Martin Olsson – Left Back: Rovers’ only dedicated left-back and proves there is no worry that he will be replaced. Always looking to support Morten and also a good crosser. Good potential to be one of the Premier League’s best. (Fit)
  20. Nikola Kalinic – Striker: Another born striker who can score and only score. Well position and ready to pounce on the 50/50 balls. If he loses the ball, don’t expect him to contest for it back. (Fit)
  21. David Hoilett – Attacking Midfielder: A very hard-working midfielder who chases everything down and has raw pace. Finishing is decent but could be improved. (Fit)

22. Franco Di Santa – Striker: On a loan-to-buy deal from Chelsea, Franco needs first-team football to show his worth. Deadly with the ball at his feet and better in the air, he could possibly give Shearer a match for his money – unlikely. Great potential. Definite buy if money can be found. (Fit)
  23. Michel Salgado – Right-back: Brought out of retirement by Allardyce, Michel spent 10+ seasons at Real Madrid gaining fantastic experience. Unfortunately, that experience does not match his pace and will always be snubbed for Jars and Pascal. (Fit)

24. Jason Brown – Goalkeeper: A goalkeeper with lots of potential and good reflexes, but at 27, should be looking for first team football somewhere else. (Fit)

25. Pascal Chimbonda: Pascal has the versatility to play anywhere across the back, but plays best on the right. Pretty average attributes but has slightly strong speed skills. (Fit)
So, maybe not the strongest strong but every position is filled. Players who I should be looking for in the window are a back-up left-back; back-up left-winger and a dominant central midfielder or two. I already have an idea for Vlatislav Gresko, been at Blackburn before and has proven himself; out-of-contract and deserves a club, to fill the left-back role and can also play left-wing if need be.

- - - - -

--- Results ---
  • None.
--- Fixtures ---
  • Blackburn Rovers - Blackburn Rovers Reserves (Prediction: 3 - 0)
  • Cercle Brugge - Blackburn Rovers (Prediction: 1 - 3)
--- Injuries ---
  • Christopher Samba
  • Brett Emerton
  • Ryan Nelsen
  • David Dunn
  • Benni McCarthy
  • Vincenzo Grella
--- Player of the Month ---
  • N / A
--- Top Scorer ---
  • N / A
- - - - -

So, I have shown you what I have - let the season begin. If anyone could post some free players that they believe would help the team, that would useful - preferably with low salaries. Also, any free youngsters for the future would also be nice.

Many Thanks,
David Charnock

Good luck mate. & Frankie means, there are already 2 people on here with the name of Charnock, now 3 :p

Cool, nice little layout you have there ;) Good luck!

We already have two other Charnock on here lol. Nice layout mate. I might follow, only if it is good :)

Nice to a fellow Charnock on here :)

Good Luck :D

Good luck mate. & Frankie means, there are already 2 people on here with the name of Charnock, now 3 :p

Wooh - Relatives I never knew I had.

Are you related to Harry and Sam?

Not that I know of. :(

Cool, nice little layout you have there ;) Good luck!

Thank you. :)

We already have two other Charnock on here lol. Nice layout mate. I might follow, only if it is good :)

Way to pressure me. :p

July Summary

In my opinion, a very good month for Blackburn Rovers. Due to a bit of budget adjusting, I was able to acquire myself just under £1,000,000, which I put to good use. My best bit of business has got to be Matthew Booth, for just under £200k. I will post his attributes below. Two dominate friendly wins and a bolster to the squad, I feel Blackburn are ready for the season ahead.

- - - - -

--- Results ---
  • Blackburn Rovers 3 - 0 Blackburn Rovers' Reserves
    Nikola Kalinic; Franco di Santo; David Hoilett
    A very poor display in the first half with Rovers' Reserves finishing with more possession that the first team. A kick up the backside at halftime got the team into gear. Kalinic scoring from a lovely throughball set up from Givet. A 4 way substitution brought some fresh faces onto the pitch. Di Santo with a fantastic header into the top corner and Hoilett with a storming running down the right placed into the bottom left finished off a well earned second half win for Rovers First XI.

• Cercle Brugge 0 - 2 Blackburn Rovers
    Jason Roberts (2)
    A very lively start from the Rovers, with many a chance being created. Blackburn proved that they can dominate down the wings, but are also able to play it down the middle. Our dominance dropped at the end of the frist half as Cercle created a couple of chances. The fresh faces at half time definatly put the game back into our favour. A fantastic finish by Jason Roberts gave Blackburn a well deserved lead. A sublime reaction save by Robinson with half-an hour to go kept us in the game. A terrific route-one goal by Roberts capped off a great game for Roberts and Blackburn.
--- Fixtures ---
  • [L]Blackburn Rovers - Arsenal (Prediction: 0 - 3)
  • [L]Wolverhampton Wanderers - Blackburn Rovers (Prediction: 1 - 3)
  • [L]Aston Villa - Blackburn Rovers (Prediction: 2 - 1)
  • [CC]Blackburn Rovers - MK Dons (Prediction: 4 - 0)
  • [L]Blackburn Rovers - Everton (Prediction: 2 - 0)
--- Injuries ---
  • Brett Emerton
  • Benni McCarthy
  • Ryan Nelsen
  • David Dunn
  • Vincenzo Grella
  • Jason Roberts - Striker
--- Top Scorer ---
- - - - -

A hard first month for Blackburn but six points would give us a great start, especially with the likes of Arsenal and Villa in the first four games. Wont be the easiest of starts but hopefully will be entertaining and will show who will make my first XI.

Many Thanks,
David Charnock

Last edited:
August Summary

A pretty average month. With all the results going as I had planned. I have sold Keith Andrews for £3.2m which I thought was a good deal from my perspective. But the board thought that he had something to prove so I am under a pit of pressure from them, even thought I just payed off half of their loan.

- - - - -

--- Results ---
  • Blackburn Rovers 0 - 3 Arsenal
    A very positive start and a dominance of possession. Some very aggresive running by Morten Gamst Pedersen. A very undeserved goal from Arsenal against the run of play - hits the post and rebounds into the goal of Robinson's back. A fantastic header by Gibbs puts Arsenal undeservadly two ahead. Still with possession advantage, we can turn our chances into goals. Fabregas turns in a 30 yards stunner to end Blackburn's chances. A very dirty Arsenal are kicking chunks out of Blackburn and Fabregas being sent off has really boosted Blackburn and they really pressed in the last 10 minutes. Pedersen's header hits the post and sums up Blackburn's unlucky performance. Alot of positives can be taken out of that game but the negatives are also there to be worked on.

• Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 - 3 Blackburn Rovers
    Jason Roberts (2); David Hoilett
    Some very good defence work pressuring Wolves to shoot from outside the area. On the back foot possession wise, we are still making chances. Are poor goal deflecting off Emerton, it was going wide if it hadn't have hit him. A fantastic one-two partnership for Roberts and McCarthy made a well deserved Blackburn equalizer. Thanks to that goal, Blackburn stepped up and put the pressure back on Wolves. A fantastic header by Jason making it two for him and two for the Rovers. Blackburn went into the break with a well deserved lead. The second off starts like the first, Wolves having more of the pressure. Robinson kept Rovers in the game many a time and deserves man of the match along with Roberts. A fantastic floating ball in by Pedersen perfectly met by Hoilett who walked it into the open net. Blackburn were really holding on and got a bit ragged with the tackles. Hoilett and Roberts had a blinder of a game working in harmony with eachother. Roberts hit the crossbar in the 88th minnute and truly deserved a hat-rik.

• Aston Villa 1 - 0 Blackburn Rovers
    Villa had two very early chances but the possession is even. Robinson kep Rovers in the game many a time. A perfect free kick by Milner is the only way you could get passed Robinson so far. A pretty even first half with Villa taking their chances. Our fullbacks can just not match the skill of Milner and Young. I am very proud of our defensive positions from corners. Without Robinson, Blackburn would have been finished before half-time. A very good efford from Blackburn, just the finishing that needed a bit of work.

• Blackburn Rovers 2 - 1 Milton Keynes Dons
    Benni McCarthy; Morten Gamst Pedersen
    A fantastic start by Blackburn, scoring an opener in the 45 second. Some shocking defending let MK Dons back into this match. Blackburn put the pressure back on to look for the lead. A fantastic floating corner, perfectly met by Pedersen at the back post to put Blackburn back in the lead again. Hoilett was lethal down the right, skinning the left-back like he was not there. Embarrasing to say, MK Dons closest shot went out for a throw in. I expected more of an easy win - but, a win is a win and I am not complaining.

• Blackburn Rovers 3 - 0 Everton
    Jason Roberts (2); David Hoilett
    Everton made a very impressive start, unfortunatly. Blackburn scored against the run of play, but frankly, I don't care. Pedersen hit the post with a header at point-blank range. Blackburn are the more attacking of the two after the interval with about a 60 - 40 possessionn percentage in their favour. A blatent penalty there as Yobo should have seen a second yellow. Jacobsen's penalty was saved by Howard, but the rebound was cooly finished by Roberts. Yobo has recieved a second yellow for a challenge which would have given him a straight red anyway. Blackburn are really running away with this with nearly every attack being their's. Lovely football by di Santo ending up with him nearly breaking the post, he deserved better. A fantastic reaction shot by Hoilett has finished this match off and given Blackburn all three points.
--- Fixtures ---
  • [L]Fulham - Blackburn Rovers (Prediction: 1 - 2)
  • [L]Blackburn Rovers - Bolton Wanderers (Prediction: 2 - 0)
  • [CC]Hull City - Blackburn Rovers (Prediction: 1 - 3)
  • [L]Blackburn Rovers - Hull City (Prediction: 2 - 0)
--- Injuries ---
  • David Dunn
  • Vincenzo Grella
  • Steven N'Zonzi
  • Elrio van Heerden
--- Top Scorer ---
  • Jason Roberts - Striker (4)
- - - - -

Six out of twelve when two of them are Arsenal and Aston Villa is very impressive. I feel September is a very winable month and I will be optomistic and say that I expect 9 points out of 9 but I will be happy with 7.

Many Thanks,

David Charnock

like the layout very imaginative would steal it but im way too lazy. keep it up and restore the glory days to blackburn ;-)

a nice start, good luck

Thank you, I was getting a bit hyped after I got the first two results spot on - I felt like changing the Aston Villa fixture. :)

like the layout very imaginative would steal it but im way too lazy. keep it up and restore the glory days to blackburn ;-)

I will do my best. It is probably one of the worst set of players Blackburn have ever had at one time, but I will do my best to push for the top 6. I would be thrilled with a top 6 finish. :D

well just try and do whatever you can, with that blackburn team id be happy with mid table, but everyone has different ambitions

good start for you with injuries surrounding ur team...
well done mate! ^^)

good start for you with injuries surrounding ur team...
well done mate! ^^)

Thank you, it is hard to produce a winning team when you have four dominate players all in midfield out due to injury. :(

try loan yannis tafer....
he can help with ur striker....

This is vastly becoming a favourite FM Story of mine due to the fact that it's very well organised and very easy to read. Hope you do well (H)

Status
Not open for further replies.