Blatter| La Liga best in the world.

MisterStubbs

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has seen/read this article but I found it some what amussing.

La Liga Is The Best In The World And Premier League Can Learn From It – Sepp Blatter
Domestic game undermined due to lack of players in World XI
By Craig Turnbull
Jan 12, 2011 6:40:00 PM

Joseph Blatter, FIFA president

Fifa president Sepp Blatter believes that Spain’s Primera Division is the best league in the world and says that the Premier League should learn from it.

Blatter pointed to the evidence of eight Spanish-based players being in Fifa's World XI and Spain winning the World Cup in 2010 as reasoning behind his view that La Liga was the top domestic competition.

"It must be the strongest league in the world," he told CNN World Sport.

"And when you see the starting XI of the Spanish national team, all of them play their football in Spain. The Spanish league also has the highest number of local players."

The Fifa president further added salt into the wounds by saying that because there were hardly any players from England and the Premier League that featured in the World XI, it undermined the credibility of the domestic league.

"The Premier League is the best-marketed league in the world," he added.

"It's a good league, with good players, but when you consider not one player made the best XI of the world, maybe they should think about whether something can be adapted."

The Fifa XI featured six players from Spanish champions Barcelona, two from Real Madrid and the other from Inter Milan, who won a treble under Jose Mourinho.

Among the players chosen were Leo Messi, who won the 2010 Ballon d’Or beating his fellow team-mates Andres Iniesta and Xavi to the prestigious award to win it for the second year in a row.

Blatter continued: "Leo Messi is what I identify as a wonderful football player and a good boy. He is really humble. It's not a game he's playing, he's not an actor."

However, the Fifa supremo did add that in order for Messi to be compared to the great Diego Maradona he would have to help Argentina to a World Cup winning victory like Maradona in 1986.

"When I compare Messi to Maradona, both are excellent, talented players," he said. "They could not be more talented. But the difference is their personal educational characteristics.

"One is still in football, modest and not trying to get into the extravaganza. The other did it."

Is he right?

Last edited:
la liga has only got two good teams.. the rest are complete ****.. the prem is so much more competitive and has a better quality overall. Blatter is just talking **** as per

la liga is class in terms of players, prem pwns in terms of entertainment :D

And Number of players played in World cup are more from Premier league than any.

I see the EPL fans are crying already.

So much for the best league

"In competitive La Liga matches (so not including ones where season is effectively over and nothing to play for) in 131 games against other opposition, Real Madrid and Barcelona have failed to win just 10 combined. "

EPL teams have appeared in the champions league final 4 times in 5 years.

Madrid are comfortably the second best team in La Liga but they haven't even progressed past the quarter final stage of the champions league since 2003.

Most Represented National Leagues
English leagues have the most players at the FIFA World Cup 2010, with 117 players who ply their trade in England registered to take part in the 2010 tournament three days before the tournament begins. Germany is the next most represented, with 84, followed by Italy (80), Spain (59) and France (46), next comes Netherlands (34) and Japan (25).

its like comparing coffee and tea. Spanish league is different style to English. Both are about the same in my opinion, Spain has more revered players but English league is more competitive and physical from what iv'e seen. So yeah EPL can learn from it but so can Spain.

Last edited:
So much for the best league

^^^

Could not have said it better myself
+
They call us all Premfaces when this **** comes about, what about all the Barca "fans" who suddenly turned up magically since a certain 08/09 CL final? Thats the only reason La Liga fan boys even think there league is better

Is he just trying to troll the world (or just the UK?) as much as he can now? Next thing you know the World Cup host will be selected on a bullshit bid, they'll move it to the winter and spread it out between several countries in the area...

On a side note, there are still Back the Bid 2018 banners hanging from lampposts in Newcastle city centre.

I think La Liga is the best in the world. They have the best two teams in the world and the best players. And for the idiot who said Spain only have two teams, get off. Of course there are two teams in chance of winning the league but what about the likes of Atletico Madrid and Valencia. Quality teams with quality playe
When you say greater entertainment, what do you mean? Personally I think La liga is more entertaining as I love to see the football most teams in Spain. When I go to Old Trafford every week I hate it when other clubs just play hoof ball ( sometimes United as well).

Of course it is my opinion but overall La liga is the best league in the world.

I think La Liga is the best in the world. They have the best two teams in the world and the best players. And for the idiot who said Spain only have two teams, get off. Of course there are two teams in chance of winning the league but what about the likes of Atletico Madrid and Valencia. Quality teams with quality playe
When you say greater entertainment, what do you mean? Personally I think La liga is more entertaining as I love to see the football most teams in Spain. When I go to Old Trafford every week I hate it when other clubs just play hoof ball ( sometimes United as well).

Of course it is my opinion but overall La liga is the best league in the world.

Even though teams like Ath Madrid and Valencia are quality teams, last seasons Massive points Disparity between Madrid and Barca vs the rest of La Liga has shown its now a 2 team league

Even now there is that massive gap, Look at the likes of Spurs and city, to a lesser extent Sunderland and bolton. There is no comparison and his comment on it being a 2 team league is more then justified

Blatter pointed to the evidence of eight Spanish-based players being in Fifa's World XI and Spain winning the World Cup in 2010 as reasoning behind his view that La Liga was the top domestic competition.
Or maybe it's because Real and Barca are so much better than everyother team in the La Liga that they get ridiculous stats from the season. Whereas the EPL has far more competition and it's not as easy to dominate.

They're apples and oranges, different styles of play, so they're hard to compare. I personally think that in the last two seasons the Prem has overtaken La Liga in terms of overall competitiveness (though Barca and R. Madrid are on a level of their own).

But people forget that throughout the 00's, up until the 09-10 season La Liga was much more competitive as a whole than the EPL. The EPL only had the big 4 every season with none of the other teams having any shot at overtaking them. The titles all went to ManU or Chelsea, with Arsenal always having too many injuries and not enough depth (due to financial constraints that the other two didn't have). If you look at the EPL in the past 15 or so years, all the titles went to ManU or Chelsea, with Arsenal getting two or three. Liverpool was never going to win one. The rest of the league was absolute *****. That has changed though as Tottenham and Man City have emerged as legitimate powers.

La Liga used to be very competitive, and in 08-09 they had 6 Champions League caliber teams. The league as a whole was much better. But those teams have all had serious financial difficulties in the past two seasons and have lost a lot of good players (Valencia in particular). The decline of Atletico Madrid speaks though to the competitiveness of the league. They have a world class squad yet they've struggled a lot the past two seasons.

The EPL is definitely the best marketed, and people in foreign countries go crazy over it, especially Americans and Asians. I can't understand though how people think it's attractive football. Do you guys enjoy watching Blackpool and Stoke? The only team in the whole Prem that plays attractive football IMO is Arsenal, the rest are pretty much painful to watch. It's a matter of taste, some people like the Prem for its speed, but instead of seeing the fastest, strongest, and tallest players in the world, I'd rather see the most skilled players playing the beautiful game as it should be. If I want to watch the best athletes in the world going at it I'll just turn on the NFL or NBA.

---------- Post added at 06:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 AM ----------

Or maybe it's because Real and Barca are so much better than everyother team in the La Liga that they get ridiculous stats from the season. Whereas the EPL has far more competition and it's not as easy to dominate.

Or that the best teams in the Prem aren't nearly as good and can't dominate. Chelsea is old and a shadow of its former self, United isn't nearly as good as they were when they had CR and Tevez, and Arsenal has too many injuries as usual. Man City needs another season to gel as a team, and Tottenham isn't that good IMO.