Brazil Inspired Magic Box [4-2-2-2] Beautiful Football by Artisan

Artisan

Reaction score
Please look at the Frequently Asked Questions Section as your question might have already been answered

Anyone can suggest a new tactic for me to try and recreate and if it is interesting and unique enough, then I will give it a go. No promises
:p

I talk a lot about how I made the tactic and why I made some decisions, test results etc but if all you want to do is just download the tactic :'( then just skip to the end. Download link is at the bottom.

Will be constantly updating the opening post with more information as time goes on
:wub:.

WALL OF ACHIEVEMENT
In this section I will post comments and results of users and testers who have tried the tactic out and were kind enough to share their results with me. :wub:(K).

Detailed Posts

Posted by Redempt0r (Liverpool Test)

View attachment 888441 View attachment 888444 View attachment 888447 View attachment 888449

Fantastic tactic. On a fresh Liverpool save, won the Premier League comfortably, as well as reached the final in every single cup competition and won all but one, and that being the League Cup I couldn't care less. Sturridge is tearing it up as the DLF, he's the main goal scoring threat but the rest of the team contributes regularly while playing absolutely gorgeous football. Conceding quite a number of penalties, but the attacking section compensates for that with lots of goals (only 3 from corners in the PL) and we're getting penalties of our own as well, otherwise the defense is pretty solid. Truly excellent job with this one, Artisan.

One off Screenshots

View attachment 888450View attachment 897071View attachment 897073

One off Comments

Most entertaining style of soccer I've seen so far on FM with this tac. Keep it up Artisan

I took over Valencia when they were in 16th position :) Won Liga BBVA and Spanish Cup! Started When the wins happened pretty obvious :) with Solid Defense !!!!!!!!! No set pieces goals all Beautiful attacking :):wub::wub::wub::wub: Even after all those transfers still on 1st place all wins on my second season :)

Still haven't found another tactic that comes even marginally close to this one in effectiveness without having to rely on at least those damned corners from **** for that extra "oomph."
Gotta give this one another whirl, see if I can reproduce that illustrious first season I've had with Liverpool; this time though I'm going to try it in FMC, see how it works if you cannot put in those opposition instructions.

INTRODUCTION

Hello again football manager fans! It’s Artisan once again and I am here to share another one of my tactical recreations for FM15. I am a massive fan of tactics that hope to emulate real life setups and whenever I play the game, that is what I strive to achieve.

My last posts were on the recreation of Diego Simeone’s very successful tactical setup and Brendan Rogers 3-4-2-1. If you missed them, here they are;

I recreated this tactic back in FM14 and most people seemed to be quite pleased with the results they were getting. A few people have messaged me to try and recreate the tactic again for this year’s game and I obliged. But enough jibber jabber…on to the tactic.

One more thing before we look at the tactic. Lets see the juicy stuff. The part most people are usually interested in. The test results!!!

MY TEST RESULTS
I tested the formation with Hull. The team had the players to fit the tactical setup and offered a fair representation of the tactics suitability with a weaker team. Unfortunately though, I could not test for too long as I don’t have as much time to play this game as I used to. More test results can be seen on the wall of achievement

Hull Test
Did a brief test with Hull and was very happy with the results I got. The limitations of this team were apparent though as they did not have enough squad depth in some areas. Injuries became a problem. Still good results though. NDoye kept banging in goals and my wingbacks were playing like Carlos on steroids.

Important to note that I found that teams that have very skillfull, pacey wide players can cause this formation a whole lot of stress. Hence why the team struggled in the test against Tottenham and Chelsea. Also teams that pack the midfield were tough to break down. West Ham and Liverpool fall into that category.

All in all, beautiful football was played in the true vain and style of the Brazilian Samba boys

TACTICAL INSPIRATION
Many footballing nations have their own unique style of play that gives them their identity. The Dutch have their high intensity-counter attacking play while the Italians are known for their sturdiness in defence. The Brazilians however are renowned for their attacking flair, and typically playing with a joy that results in exciting football that is pleasing to their adoring fans. A lot of people might put their style of play down to the plethora of talent the country has produced over the years and to an extent they are right. It is however not as simple as that. Their tactical setup has taken decades to evolve and is more complex than most people give it credit for

View attachment 253042

The Magic Box/Rectangle as it is fondly called comprises of two boxes. One mainly defensive, and the other attacking. These are supported by the wingbacks who will mainly occupy wide positions and support both boxes. The overload of players in the centre of the pitch makes it difficult for opposition players to contend with.

The Brazilian tactical philosophy whilst being expressive and free flowing is also very organised. As contradictory as this sounds, that is the secret behind the tactic’s success. Organised defensively and free flowing in attack

Brazilian Tactical Philosophy
It is important to know what principles govern the Brazilian style football in order to play it. In my opinion, there are 5 key principles to Samba football.

1. Attacking Wingbacks
Without attacking wingbacks, no formation can claim to be Brazilian-esque. The overlapping wingback was perfected by the Brazilians and used by them to devastating effect. Players like Cafu and Roberto Carlos were so effective because they often came darting from the back unmarked, receiving the ball in space and wreaking havoc.

Using regular wingbacks or complete wingbacks with attacking duties will help your players in emulating Roberto Carlos.

2. Zonal Marking
The Brazilian teams have never been known for their defensive abilities and because of this try to defend as unit instead of relying on the abilities of individual players. Hence why they use zonal marking.

- Simply not selecting tight marking and not instructing any players to man mark will help achieve zonal marking in FM15

3. Compactness
Carrying on from the previous point, the team usually stays narrow and short in order to reduce the amount of space the opposition has on the ball. This reduces the defensive strain on players and improves the ability of the team to defend as a unit

- In FM, two instructions are needed to modify the compactness of a tactic. The defensive line will determine how short your formation. A higher defensive line means a shorter player spread. The width will obviously affect how far apart each player stays from their closest team mate in the horizontal axis. Narrower instruction keeps the team compact.

View attachment 253023

4. Quick Short Passing
The team generally likes to play the ball on the floor and prefer a short passing game. They also don’t dwell too long on the ball and like to move it around the pitch to create space and goal scoring opportunities. Only a few players, usually the attacking midfielders and wingbacks are instructed to run at opposition players.

- In FM using instructions like shorter passing, retain possession, exploit the middle, higher tempo and be more disciplined are useful for making your team adopt this philosophy.

5. Central Location of the Midfielders
This is not necessarily a universal principle, but with most Brazilian teams, you will find that their midfielders are positioned centrally. Most of their 4-4-2 sets are ran with box or diamond midfields without outside midfielders or wingers. Brazilian 3-5-2 formations are actually more like a 5-3-2 with advancing wingbacks. The reason their midfielders are centrally positioned is so the flanks are there are for midfielders and fullbacks to make runs into. These runs are intended to help these players lose their marks and unbalance the defence.

- In FM: Simply position midfielders centrally. This encourages your fullbacks and midfielders to move into the open space.

View attachment 253022

TACTICAL ADAPTATION IN FOOTBALL MANAGER ENGINE

As I have mentioned in previous posts, being able to completely recreate a real life tactic in FM is almost impossible. The first major problem with recreating the magic box is the space between the four strata’s of the formation. In an ideal situation, the space would be equal but in FM there must be a gap.

Another issue is the difficulty in re-creating the support and cover principles that result in the “see-saw” movements of the formation. Generally speaking, when the attack focuses on one side of the pitch, the other side of the formation falls back to cover.

Despite the limitations, I feel I have created a tactic that is very successful and true to the nature of the Brazilian style of play. The tactical setup is seen below.

View attachment 253021

THE PLAYERS
We’ve seen the system, we’ve seen the principles, now let’s look at the type of players we employ at each position. Thanks to Uncle Sam for these descriptions

1. Goleiros (Goalkeepers)
While not known for their goalkeepers, they have produced some good ones. When looking for a keeper for the 4-2-2-2, you’re really not looking for anything different than in any other system. Ideally you not only want a shot stopper, but a sweeper as well, someone who can clean up any balls that get through.

Modern Example: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Manuel Neur (Bayern)

2. Zagueiros (Central Defenders)
In the 4-2-2-2, the fullbacks will be bombing forward often. This will mean that the centre backs will need to act as dual sweepers, sometimes even being asked to pressure out on the flanks. You want them to be good tacklers and headers, as they will have to deal with crosses into the area. The demands on the centre backs in this system are not dissimilar from others, but a little pace will help.

Modern Examples David Luiz (PSG), Vertonghen (Tottenham)

3. Laterais (Wingbacks)
With the absence of true wingers, the fullbacks will act as the wingers in the attack. They will be asked to penetrate deeply into the opposition half and provide width in the formation. They will need to have a good work rate and have good pace to go with dribbling and crossing ability. And since they are back line players, the more defensive prowess the better.

Modern Examples: Dani Alves (Barcelona), David Alaba (Bayern Munich)

4. Volantes (Defensive Midfielders)
With both fullbacks overlapping liberally, there needs to be cover and support. The holding midfielders provide this. They destroy attacks down the middle and will also drop back for the centre backs when they cover the flanks. In the attack, they link play to the attacking players and offer support. They are essential players in this system and need to have good defensive capabilities while also be good passers. For the purposes of Football Manager, it’s good to have two players who complement each other. In the tactics set provided the left volante is more defensive while the right is more attacking.

Modern Examples: Nemanja Matic (Chelsea), Arturo Vidal (Juventus)

5. Meias (Attacking Midfielders)
Now we start to get into the players whose names everyone knows. These are the number ten type players who can work magic with the ball. They know how to penetrate and create chances for themselves and others. They should possess attacking skills, flair, creativity, and be good passers. They will take on defenders one-on-one and pick out the strikers in open space. They will also be asked to cross the ball at times. They are wingers, playmakers, and central midfielders wrapped up into one.

Modern Examples: Oscar (Chelsea), David Silva (Manchester City)

6. Atacantes (Forwards)
These players are the goal scorers. They need to be good finishers. There are several ways to set them up, but typically you will see one advanced forward and one deep lying forward with complementary attributes. One is the big target striker type and the other more of the quick dribbler. The classic example would be Romario and Bebeto from the mid-nineties that won the World Cup in the USA. In this tactic, the left side Atacantes is more advanced and should be better in the air while the right one is deeper lying.

Modern Examples: Diego Costa (Chelsea), Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)

Player Filters

I have added filters for the roles specifed above. Just unzip the file and add them to the filters folder which is in the Sports interactive Folder. The filter results for each role my contain players that play in different posittions. This ia not a mistake as these players could be trained to play in your desired choice of position.

View attachment 252567

TRAINING AND MATCH PREPARATION
I leave match preparation to my assistant manager and individual training should be specific to players. Click on the spoiler in the next section for more information on this

Opposition instructions are very important for this tactic. The instructions are set up in a way to force the opposition back into the congested centre of the pitch where the ball can be more easily won back by the team

Player Preferred Moves
I have not fully tested the importance of these PPMs but based on how I expect the team to play these are the ones I would reccommend.
Wingbacks: Run with the Ball Down Right/Left, Gets Forward Whenever Possible, Shoots with Power, Knocks Ball Past Opponent (If he ihas good acceleration, pace and agility), Hugs Line

Centre Backs: Plays Short Simple Passes

Support Defensive Midfielder: Nothing Specific to have.

Defensive DM : Dictates Tempo. Avoid Gets Forward Whenwver Possible, Dwells on the Ball

Attacking Midfielder: Nothing Specific

Deep Lying Forward: Comes Deep to get ball, Runs With Ball Through Centre, Plays one Twos

Complete Forward: Runs With Ball Through Centre Plays one Twos

HOW TO START A SUCCESFUL NEW SEASON AND MAINTAIN MOMENTUM

1. Starting Early
When you start a game, you usually have about 6 weeks to prepare for a season. This, a lot of the time is fine when trying to get a team fluid with just one formation or for a team that has not made too many transfers. If your case is different, it is a good idea to have a longer pre season.

View attachment 252245

In order to have a longer pre season, you need to select a league that has an earlier start date than the league you wish to manage. So for the premiere league, you would also load up the Welsh league. If you have no wish to manage in this league then set it to view only. This extra month will give your players more time to prepare for the new season.

2. Starting Well
A lot of the preseason friendlies that your assistant manager will pick sometimes can be very difficult. There is no problem with this other than the fact that he will tend to organise these friendlies close to the start of the season. The potential loss could have an effect on the start of your season.

What I usually do is cancel most friendlies and organise much easier games where I can be expected to score about 5 goals. If you really want to play tougher opposition, play them close to the middle of your preseason. I usually like to organise at least 10 very easy friendlies.
Doing this improves players confidence, fitness, familiarity with tactics etc.

3. Having Experts in Required Positions

When you create a formation, you might not have enough players to fill up all positions or you might have players
that are not completely suited to a particular position. What I do is I train the players specifically for the position and role I want them to play till they are completely accomplished. You know they are accomplished when you see a full circle around a green star next to you players name. See image below. Even if they are capable of playing the position, I still train them.

If I have players that don’t fit into my tactic, I retrain them. So with the Magic box tactic where there are no wingers, I retrain all my wingers to play either AMC or Strike position. If you have a team of experts in their positions, you are well on your way to a great season

4. Player Incentives and Expectations
There are different incentives and motivational things you can do keep your team morale high. Things like offering them a high collective bonuses and ensuring that you have competition for places keeps them motivated. I will always offer the highest bonus for the competitions I want to take serious. Also rotate the team every now and then.

You also have the opportunity to hold a team meeting at the start of the season to set expectations. I am usually ambitious but realistic with my expectations.

5. Keeping Players Happy
One of the first reasons why squad morale might begin to drop even when you are winning games is due to the complaints of a single rebellious player. This is usually down to lack of first team football for the player.

What I usually do is try to player rotation and weaker players in cup games similar to what Arsene Wenger does with the League cup.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

1. Who do I use to take my corners/freekicks/throwins?
In my test I did not use anyone specific and kept it as default. Don't want the tactic to rely on setpieces entirely. It kills the game for me. Other threads have loads of information a set pieces.

2. Will you provide recommended attributes for players?
I have included player filters that can be imported into your games. They are only guidelines and are not set in stone. Use them at your discretion

3. What do I do when I have a red card?
I remove a striker and keep everything else the same. I usually remove the complete forward and move the DLF to the centre forward position.

4. I concede too many penalties. How do I stop this?
You can remove hard tackling from the centrebacks or if you have the money, simply get a defender with better Tackling, Decision and Concentration.

5. I am not getting the results I expected. What is up with that?
You need to ask yourself a few questions. Did I follow instructions and tips in the post? Do I have the right players? Do those players have good morale? Was I expected to win the match I lost? Did I play the match myself instead of going on holiday or using instant result?
If you answered NO to one or more of these questions, then any of those reasons could be why you lost the match. You could have also lost because that is how football is. Based on tests done by myself and other people, I can guarantee you its not the tactics fault (H)

6. What tactic will you recreate next?
Still have not decided yet and I am open to suggestions. The best place to contact me is via this post and not private message as sometimes by inbox gets full.

In conclusion this tactic worked great for me and I think it will work for you as well. It is still a work in progress and will need to test a bit more but probably won't have the time to do it. Enjoy

Last year there were a lot of tweaks from other users and if some people do the same with good results this year then I would add to OP.

Last edited:
Nice, a 2 striker tactic, without F9s :)
Could be fun to try, when i get the time - gotta say this forum really plays overload on great tactics (H)

The football played is beautiful and I had around 45 shots without a short corner explot (i would like to add this but will be complicated):
View attachment 253002

The possession suffocates the opponent the only reason they scored was a long ball and I had a player off injured

The football played is beautiful and I had around 45 shots without a short corner explot (i would like to add this but will be complicated):

The possession suffocates the opponent the only reason they scored was a long ball and I had a player off injured

Yh you dominate some games like that.

Your OPs are the very best, I really enjoyed this one too! Good luck with the tactic.

Your OPs are the very best, I really enjoyed this one too! Good luck with the tactic.

Thanks dude. Good luck with yours too. I tried ur 4-4-2 and its really good :wub:

Diame at cam and your 4th now that's impressive ha

Lol yh. He does not actually play there. Its Ramirez, Quinn, Snodgrass, Brady, Aluko. But injuries and rotations meant he had to play there. In fact he is upset cus he does not really start for me if you look carefully.

just to confirm, just use best corner taker? no throw ins? training to whatever suits?

just to confirm, just use best corner taker? no throw ins? training to whatever suits?

Yh you can use whoever you want really. I left mine on default (no player selected). Obviously not centre backs lol

View attachment 887430

set your WB's to default, get WBL to take RIGHT corner and WBR to take LEFT corner and that's it... short corner setup done...

I'll take this on a spin later with Liverpool. Finally a tactic that strives to work without having to rely on set piece abuse, which is pretty much the basis of every "good" tactic these days. Will report back.

Just a quick note, OI is not filled, except for the DR/DL/MR/ML weaker foots.

Just a quick note, OI is not filled, except for the DR/DL/MR/ML weaker foots.

Right side plyers are all shown onto their left foot and vice versa. Thats all the OIs needed. Everything else should be left as default

For some reason I can't seem to post either screenshots or posts that are longer than x amount of words/sentences, whatever. TL;DR version then: 20 games in, leading the League in points / goals / least conceded / avg possession, only 1 goal from corners so main objective achieved, a consistently delivering tactic that does not rely on implementing that dreadful corner routine. Fans appreciate the style as well. So far, so good. We'll see where I'll be at the end of season, but for now, pretty much all positives. Good work, Artisan.

Most entertaining style of soccer I've seen so far on FM with this tac. Keep it up Artisan

Fantastic tactic. On a fresh Liverpool save, won the Premier League comfortably, as well as reached the final in every single cup competition and won all but one, and that being the League Cup I couldn't care less. Sturridge is tearing it up as the DLF, he's the main goal scoring threat but the rest of the team contributes regularly while playing absolutely gorgeous football. Conceding quite a number of penalties, but the attacking section compensates for that with lots of goals (only 3 from corners in the PL) and we're getting penalties of our own as well, otherwise the defense is pretty solid. Truly excellent job with this one, Artisan.

View attachment 252572View attachment 252579View attachment 252578View attachment 252575

Last edited: