Brian Clough Tactics Version 2

I gave this tactic a go for i think it was 29 - 30 games with Benfica and i think i only lost 1 or 2 games and won the league by 12 points which was very good

All in all very good tactic JP thanks alot mate nice work

Hey JP, I like your V2 tactic, works very well for me! :) I just wanted to ask whether you would recommend changing formations during the match. Say I was losing, or I needed to hang on to a lead, is it ever a good idea to change to one of your other Clough tactics, say from 4-4-2, to 4-4-3, 5-3-2 or whatever the case might be, bearing in mind that I'm currently using V2 4-4-2?

Hey JP, I like your V2 tactic, works very well for me! :) I just wanted to ask whether you would recommend changing formations during the match. Say I was losing, or I needed to hang on to a lead, is it ever a good idea to change to one of your other Clough tactics, say from 4-4-2, to 4-4-3, 5-3-2 or whatever the case might be, bearing in mind that I'm currently using V2 4-4-2?
I wouldn't change the formation but instead the forward runs,if you need a goal say put the forward runs of the wide midfielders to often.Or if you want to tighten up put the forward runs of the 2 CMs to rarely,that sort of thing.

Last edited:
i ve started a new game with liverpool i played 6 games in epl won 3 draw 2 and lost 1 also draw with at cl
i transfered cristian zapata and lavezzi but team didnt play well why ??

i ve started a new game with liverpool i played 6 games in epl won 3 draw 2 and lost 1 also draw with at cl
i transfered cristian zapata and lavezzi but team didnt play well why ??
because your team arent gelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh with this tactic you do need to give your team time to gell and when they do you will no

what kind of central midfielders are best?

one DM and one AMC or what?

but do they have to be good defensivley aswell? i mean like do they have to be good at both offensive and defensive or can you have 1 creative and 1 tough tackler that isnt creative?

but do they have to be good defensivley aswell? i mean like do they have to be good at both offensive and defensive or can you have 1 creative and 1 tough tackler that isnt creative?
Have what ever you feel best,the tactics should still work.The only thing thats needed is a gelled team.

thanks mate. oh by the way, get your strikers to learn the "beat offside trap" move..its dynamite!!

if my team has played well for a long time using your version 1 tactic and are now starting to slip with it, would going to your v2 tactics hep them improve?or would it be sensible for me to try a new tactic altogether?

if my team has played well for a long time using your version 1 tactic and are now starting to slip with it, would going to your v2 tactics hep them improve?or would it be sensible for me to try a new tactic altogether?
Why are they starting to slip? have you bought any new players recently?

nope. they've played very well and i lhave a very gelled team but we've conceded in the last minute of stoppage time twice in a row now and we keep on drawing, whereas previousley we were always winning. do you think this tactical transition would be effective?

nope. they've played very well and i lhave a very gelled team but we've conceded in the last minute of stoppage time twice in a row now and we keep on drawing, whereas previousley we were always winning. do you think this tactical transition would be effective?
I dont know mate,ive always kept winning to the point of the game becoming boring.Look at player stats,see who's not performing for you.

Last edited:
after a couple of years break off fm i deciced to buy 09 now ive started off with spurs numerous times but im not getting anywhere this is the first time ive used your tactic so far in the EPL ive pl 10 w 1 d 3 l 6 and only scored 6 but conceded 20 with my last loss 6-0 to sunderland! i been reading all the good feedback on your tactic so what am i doing wrong ive also tried a few of betterhalfs tactics with spurs but just getting spanked sorry for waffling on but this game is driving me crazy any help would be greatly apprecited cheers.

after a couple of years break off fm i deciced to buy 09 now ive started off with spurs numerous times but im not getting anywhere this is the first time ive used your tactic so far in the EPL ive pl 10 w 1 d 3 l 6 and only scored 6 but conceded 20 with my last loss 6-0 to sunderland! i been reading all the good feedback on your tactic so what am i doing wrong ive also tried a few of betterhalfs tactics with spurs but just getting spanked sorry for waffling on but this game is driving me crazy any help would be greatly apprecited cheers.
Maybe you should try the V1 tactics.Give them time to work consistently,your team need to be fully gelled to get the best from them.Also like ataggy said train your forwards to beat the offside trap on preferred moves.They will work if your patient and dont chop and change.

Here is the link for the Version 1 http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=693

does it work with small teams like english lower league?
I am playing with Bognor Regis in BSS. Tactic works well. Finished 10th first season, now 2nd after 18 games and only 3 points behind the leader. And I am also able to beat some BSP teams in the cup matches mainly home. Read through all JP threads and replies. They really help a lot.

been using this tactic for about a season and a half with my updated (done it myself) man city team. 1st season i won the carling cup, euro cup runners up and finished 3rd. 2nd season i won both domestic cups, 1/4 final of UCL and fin 4th in league. its pretty good i guess, i was going really well until the jan window where i think my players got unsettled by transfer speculation otherwise i reckon we would of come 2nd in league or maybe even won it. now onto my 3rd season , ive signed sakho, aquilani, baines and aguero..so lets see what happens.

p.s. ive already got the likes of akinfeev, asenjo, srna, azpillicueta, maggio, zapata, kolo toure, gonzalo rodriguez, veloso, kacar, dzagoev, zhirkov, albin, marquinhos, arteta, tevez, pandev and keirrison in my squad. also have jovetic, barry and fleck in reserve.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

what about ticking play offside and tight marking boxes?