Bridge makes himself unavailable for World Cup

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr.T
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 65
  • Views Views 5K
On the subject of Baines, he has impressed me particularly over the last few weeks or so for his performances of Everton, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Capello has been keeping an eye on him too. Since Bridge is out I definitely think Baines is the best choice for LB currently.

I'd take Baines over Warnock as well. I'm still hopeful that Cole is fit though. I think he's a ****, but he's by far our best left-back.

Justbshows how immature and unproffessional bridge really is all partys are trying tonput this behind them and he cant. So what he wont go and the debate should be who should go as englands backup leftback because the best leftback in the world ashley cole will be fit. And for people saying terry should step down do you really see england playing anf beating the mayjor teams at the wc because i dont.

Last edited:
Justbshows how immature and unproffessional bridge really is all partys are trying tonput this behind them and he cant. So what he wont go and the debate should be who should go as englands backup leftback because the best leftback in the world ashley cole will be fit. And for people saying terry should step down do you really see england playing anf beating the mayjor teams at the wc because i dont.

ashley cole is not guaranteed to be fit. and even if he does recover from the injury its unlikely he will get any/a lot of playing time before the WC. It doesnt matter how good you are, a lack of matches is not good for performance or fitness.

Last edited:
Wayne Bridge is a liabilty, he is a decent left back but no more than that. He is a one footed player who rarely uses his right foot, and because of that puts himself is situations other players can exploit.

I'd rather take Warnock or Baines any way. I'd even take Phil Neville over him as he can cover multiple positions.

Not sure immaturity has anything to do with it really. You can't blame him for hating Terry. And his presence means that the dressing room will be split between those who favour Terry and those who favour Bridge...

Pretty much the only thing he could do...

ashley cole is not guaranteed to be fit. and even if he does recover from the injury its unlikely he will get any/a lot of playing time before the WC. It doesnt matter how good your are, a lack of matches is not good for performance or fitness.

Cole could have played a few minutes for chelsea or the reserves possibly a cup final or 2 if chelsea get their and englands friendly against mexico and a months training before the wc i feel that is enough, he is generally a fit lad and if england win their first 2games he can get a rest against slovenia.

Cole could have played a few minutes for chelsea or the reserves possibly a cup final or 2 if chelsea get their and englands friendly against mexico and a months training before the wc i feel that is enough, he is generally a fit lad and if england win their first 2games he can get a rest against slovenia.

Cole will be on the plane because he is the best LB available, but that isnt enough time/match practise to get back in peak shape...

Some people have very short memories.
Carragher retired because he was being played out of position, so why would he return to play LB.
Also he has been poor this season and has lost a yard or so of pace, how anyone can suggest him above two natural, in form LB's is beyond me.

Some people just don't read posts properly.

I know that is why he retired, hence why I put "He may not like it but he could be a very good LB".

And sure don't consider Carragher, if you want to take 2 players who have 1 cap between them to the World Cup. There's a big difference between playing for Everton or Villa then going to the World Cup and facing Brazil, Spain, Italy..

Why didn't Bridge say this earlier? (as in weeks ago). The only reason Terry lost his captaincy was because Capello feared that with Terry and Bridge in the same team, it was only going to disrupt the players and cause a divide.

Anyway, i think Baines should get the call up. He is the form left back at the moment although i wish Bale was English.

Really?! I mean, really?! How on earth do you figure that?

UEFA Club Football Best Defender: 2005, 2008, 2009
UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009

He must be doing something right ay?

He may not be the best but he's certainly up there.

Why didn't Bridge say this earlier? (as in weeks ago). The only reason Terry lost his captaincy was because Capello feared that with Terry and Bridge in the same team, it was only going to disrupt the players and cause a divide.

He didnt lose the captaincy because of Bridge at all he lost it because of his actions

Well, from watching the Inter vs Chelsea game last night, I'd say Lucio is probably the best defender in the World :D

I'd like to see Warnock or Baines come in as second choice left back, not bothered who does that much as both to a great job at there respective clubs.

He didnt lose the captaincy because of Bridge at all he lost it because of his actions

Capello said he would base his decision on footballing reasons only.
If it was based on his actions then there would be no captain because the other 'top candidates' haven't exactly got a clean history either.

Capello said he would base his decision on footballing reasons only.
If it was based on his actions then there would be no captain because the other 'top candidates' haven't exactly got a clean history either.

If it were to do with Bridge he would have dropped Terry without hesitation Capello is no nonesense

If it were to do with Bridge he would have dropped Terry without hesitation Capello is no nonesense

I don't think so.
There are certain players that you simply can't afford to drop, and i think Terry falls into that category.

Im sure you wouldn't be too confident with Upson as one of England's leading centre backs.

Really couldn't care less about Bridge, if he doesn't want to play for his country and grow up then he cad sod off. Warncok, Baines, Neville or all better than him anyway.

I don't think so.
There are certain players that you simply can't afford to drop, and i think Terry falls into that category.

Im sure you wouldn't be too confident with Upson as one of England's leading centre backs.

i'd back ledley and jagielka if they can get themselves fit over that donkey anyday

Last edited:
Shocked at the lack of support for Wayne Bridge in this thread. I do feel sorry for him, He is stepping down for his country's sake. So you have a good chance of winning the world cup.

That deserves some praise.

Shocked at the lack of support for Wayne Bridge in this thread. I do feel sorry for him, He is stepping down for his country's sake. So you have a good chance of winning the world cup.

That deserves some praise.
I feel sorry for him.(A) Team Bridge.(H)

When i was told about it they said that he had pulled out because he didn't want to affect the team morale which i think is awfully good of him :P He's fallen on his sword for the greater good of england; unlike terry, he had to be pushed;).

Gives baines a chance though.:D He's always looked good when i have watched him.|)

Back