Smizzy

Reaction score
Welcome to the journey of my save to become the most decorated and successful manager in each of the 5 leagues on the British Isles. To add to the challenge this will be done with having no coaching badges and having the playing experience of a Sunday League footballer. This will be a long journey, so I am to carry this on as long as I’m enjoying the save.​

image_2022-07-09_153707796.png

The way that I will be deciding this on is using the games Hall of Fame, so for the task at hand in the English league will be winning more than that of Sir Alex Ferguson. Out of all the leagues it will take the longest to become first in England and Scotland.​

image_2022-07-09_154715105.png

If I find myself becoming board with the save I will knock down the challenge to become the most successful English manager in history. But for now the journey begins as an unemployed no body in the world of football.​

Starting unemployed leads to my first team being up in the air and down to the performances of the AI. Although there are 3 jobs available at the start of this save, I know that I wouldn’t stand a chance at getting an interview in two of them and I would prefer to have a start mid-way through the season for some extra challenge.

This is where the Irish league comes to advantage with 4 months of football left before the season end. So, for now it is a waiting game for a job to be available.

After starting the save on the 5th of July it took until the 16th of November to be offered a contract at a club. After expecting a job in Ireland, it is actually Wales where I will be working in a relegation battle with Trefelin BGC.

image_2022-07-09_155935763.png

The current situation for the team is 14th with 11 games played. The media prediction of 11th does give hope to being able to save the club from the drop, but the board is saying to fight bravely against relegation.

1657378809945.png

An initial look at the table and the results gained it seems to be an issue with keeping goals out, there is no clear issue with shooting as most of the time the team has had the greater number of chances. The losses have come from the teams in the top end of the table so that isn’t much of a worry.

1657378840460.png

Just looking at the squad the lack of quality in the defence can be seen. So, this needs to be a target in the transfers that I will be making. However, we are outside the transfer window so free transfers will do for now if I can find someone good enough.​

Good luck with your save, would like to see more. This is some very fresh content.

The time for signings will come, but for now the focus moves to the first game in charge. A big one against Risca currently in 15th. So, this is a clear 6 pointer and adds more pressure to the first game of the save.

image_2022-07-09_194451175.png

Well, I couldn’t have wanted a better result for the first game in charge a strong performance from the midfield players aided to a 3 – 0 result. Joe Clarke showing is quality straight away by scoring 2 and assisting with the other goal. This result opens a point gap between us and the bottom 2 as well as close the gap to 1 point from the team above.

image_2022-07-09_194817963.png

The first transfer that has been made is that of Rhys Sture a 19-year-old midfielder. I know I said that I would focus on the defence, but it looks like that will have to wait until the January transfer window as none of the free transfers have the quality that is needed, this could change though. Anyway, the new man in the squad is on a none contract and adds some good backup cover as I’m playing 3 midfielders as it is our strongest area.

image_2022-07-09_194853014.png

After saying there wasn’t quality in the free agents, I’ve managed to grab what I would say is the best out of a bad bunch, another youngster 18-year-old Jacob Syers-Newton. Again, not a first teamer but someone who can be there if needed and step in when some players are out, most importantly he is better than some of the current backups. Hopefully these two develop well and become good first teamers.

1657393306758.png

The next game to be played was against rival Port Talbot. This was another great performance and another important win. 2 – 0 secured the victory with a stubble from the opponent’s keeper leading to the first and a penalty late on making it two. We are now just outside the drop with another important game to follow.

1657392856917.png

The 3rd signing of the save is a striker, another free transfer, another young player. 21-year-old Morgan Gore. Adding a strong first teamer which will allow for more variation in the tactics employed. Barring any other occurrences, it means that just the defence will need work now going into the transfer window.

1657440307138.png

I could have wanted a few better results from the games in December, especially against Undy as that could have been a win. The highlight has to be the draw against at the time 2nd Briton Ferry. In addition, a gap is now starting to build between us and the drop zone. January will definably be a do or die month with all teams being midtable and the importance of transfers.

1657440354562.png

The aims of January were to make a strong effort to further strengthen the team in defence and to get a couple of points on what looked like a difficult month. On the points aspect things are going well with a strong victory over Afan Lido another local rival. The lack of defence strength doesn’t seem to be an issue currently with another clean sheet. It’s a wonder what a higher moral does to a team.

1657440401138.png

What can I say in terms of January? Well at the start I would have happily taken around 5 points, turns out the team would earn double that and be on an unbeaten run of 9 games taking us up to 6th. I really couldn’t be happier. In terms of signings, I have been looking towards the next season if I still have a job here, I don’t know what I’ll be doing at the end of the season, I'll only carry on here if offered a new contract.
1657440526355.png

In terms of defensive signings, I couldn't find a single player that would be a regular. I might just not be looking in the right places but what is in the team currently will have to do.​

In preparation for the next season, I have also asked the board for a coaching course. This was thankfully accepted and now will have a National C licence in 4 months.

Another free signing has been made, a very young 16-year-old Rhys John. Able of playing both sides on the midfield which has been an area we have been struggling with fitness, so he is an excellent option to add cover in the team where we don’t have the capacity for a lot of depth. As typically in FM newgen faces he looks much older than 16.

1657457826925.png

I don’t always want to highlight the victories that I am having but I have to talk about this result. A strong 4 – 0 victory against 2nd Ammanford. I have switched to a more possession controlling tactic, at a first sight it seems to be working well but only time will tell fully.

1657457849415.png

A loss was going to happen and indeed it did. 1st place and run-away leaders Llanelli Town are the first to beat the side. A poor start to the second half sealed the loss with 2 goals in 5 minutes. We managed to get one back late on in the game but too little too late. The 12th game in charge is the first one we have lost so I can’t complain about it at all.

1657457864429.png

The performances over the last two months have been excellent and show some very positive signs if I make the choice to carry on at this club. That will come later though, some very dominant performances are there against some of the weaker teams in the league and even the 4 – 0 mentioned before against a top team.

1657457880306.png

So, there is a single month of football left in the season and 4 games to play in that time the team’s position in the table is something I couldn’t be happier with. 6th and a top half position. Statistically safe from relegation it is a job well done for this season.

1657548979382.png

I really wanted to highlight this game. Although being a very boring affair, with just 2 key highlights all game, Swansea Uni occupied the last relegation position after we had moved out and now find themselves 5th and on the best form in the league. Not bad for what I assume is just a bunch of hungover students.

1657549016355.png

And it is that time of year, youth intake day everyone. Described as being a potential golden generation for the club. I’d be much more excited if it wasn’t for a few things. Semi-professional is very limiting on development of players; this isn’t a single club save and the judging potential of the staff is awful. There are some highlights though, a 6’7” target man that could be unstoppable from step pieces is certainly one to think about. But nothing of first ability.

Last game of the season and it is a disappointing loss. Multiple chances came to nothing, notably Gore, who throughout his time here as been able to get into 1 on 1’s multiple times only to slam it straight into the keeper. 3 times this happened, once with an open net but still managed to send it wide. One of those games, I guess.

1657549240253.png

And with that the season is done. The team finished 6th, a long way off the relegation positions the story for the last month of the season could have been better. With 3 draws and the loss on the final day rounding up the first season of the save. My position at the club is still up in the air with no approach from the board at this time.

1657549268736.png

1657549277541.png

So, the off season begins, the board had outlines that they wish for a top half finish next season, entirely possible with a few new signings to secure some depth. In addition, a stadium expansion has been announced adding a further 500 seats to the stadium.

Although the news on the contract doesn’t look great. With just 2 months remaining I made a request for a new contract This was denied due to the financial situation of the club. This coming from the board that decided a 50K expansion for the stadium was needed, while being in the red and not filling the stadium to half capacity most the time anyway.

1657616621388.png

After waiting around for a few week, the board did indeed approach me to renew my contract, so I have another year in the books at Trefelin. So now the work for the new season starts.

Last season I setup two future transfers two 22-year-olds, both bolstering the defence. Harri Horwood a left back and Mathew Rodgers a centre-back. Both will be playing their part in the season to come. Especially happy with Horwood and the low contract that I have him on.

1657616659680.png

1657616673522.png

Well, we’ve made another transfer this time it being a striker. 26-year-old James Kirby. He has had to be signed on a month-to-month contract and I say had to. I don’t know if it is down to the finances of the club not being in my favour, but I seem unable to sign players on part time contract being able to keep them at the club without others coming in and stealing them.

1657616690203.png

The season starts with the Nathaniel MG Cup. This will act as a chance to see how we might fair this season. It started with a game against fellow league team Cwnbran Celtic. This was a 1 – 0 win for us and takes us to the second round against Aberystwyth. This result is the same as the first-round curtesy of a penalty.

1657616752108.png
1657616757557.png

I’m not going to be going through every single signing this season. If any of the signings that are made preform exceptionally or are of note, then I will be adding a small section on them. As of now we have been able to bring back Mason Jones-Thomas on a free transfer.

1657648029696.png

This year is much more packed in terms of the number of games per month due to the winter break. There have been some good results so far and this is one of them. A decisive win against Goytre United taking us up to 3rd with 7 points in 3 games.

1657648043733.png

I’ve also tried my hand at asking for another coaching course to be completed with this being rejected by the board. Stating they fear another club would come looking for my services. Really wish you could take some of your earnings and finance a course for yourself instead of having to have the board make the decision for you.

1657648053239.png

With the first month down the team finds itself in 2nd and still in both of the cup competitions available to us which is excellent. It seems that another unbeaten run is on the cards to start. But I know in saying that I have just made sure it doesn’t happen.

1657648065687.png

Side note about the signings and the issue with just month to month contracts. I realised I have had a moment and completely forgot about switching the contact type. Guess it is down to not having played a semi professional side for a while now.

The next game we had was in the Welsh Cup against Ruthin Town a Cymru North side. Anything I can do to ease the finances of the club is great and getting £1,000 from this victory is small but as they say in Tesco, every little helps. The 4 – 0 win was a wonder to watch with Kirby scoring a hattrick being everything I wanted from Gore last season with 8 goals in 7 starts.

1657648169149.png

A lucky draw brings us against Bridgend Street a team in the division below an excellent chance to progress further in the cup and get some more prize money as well.​

The first loss of the season comes at the hands of Briton Ferry. A well fought and close 2 – 1. It comes down to a poor performance from both goalkeeper and the strikers. Missed chances and goals conceded that really shouldn’t have. 7 games played with 14 points we are 4th in a close top of the table battle including the top 8 teams.

1657715027545.png

The two cup competitions brought in two wins taking us to the next round of both. It certainly would be nice to get to the later stages of either of these cups let alone win one if possible. Overall, the first game was a close one with the runaway winners of last year’s season falling to a close victory for us. The second game couldn’t have been more of the opposite.

1657715117450.png
1657715124720.png

These two cup games also bring an end to the month. Meaning it’s time for another monthly round up. Overall, it was a strong start and finish with the team suffering in the middle due to some fitness and injury issues coming up but nothing too major for the start of the season.

1657715148172.png

The strong performances keep on coming and at this stage in the season I would be confident in saying that we are in for a title challenge. Many teams are currently in the running for this with 10 points being the deference between 1st and 8th. So, if we can keep this up, I don’t see why I shouldn’t be confident.

1657715177911.png

This game comes straight after the last, I want to avoid talking about most of the games, but I have to just give a mention to how good Kirby has been for me. With his second hattrick for the team I highly recommend him for this level.

1657715197682.png

Also had Kirby for Colwyn Bay in the Cymru North! Pretty sure it was from a suggested transfer target even though I didn't have a DoF, they were a game changer for me when managing in Wales

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 20.06.20.png

Also had Kirby for Colwyn Bay in the Cymru North! Pretty sure it was from a suggested transfer target even though I didn't have a DoF, they were a game changer for me when managing in Wales

View attachment 594581

He's been unbelievable for me so far, can't recall fully how I found him. I will admit I need to use this feature more, tried at the start of the first season but it kept saying there was no players found. Will have to see now I've progressed a bit more.

Last edited:
Here is a two for one for everybody. Two away games against the same team and I’m glad there won’t be another. The 0 – 3 score line does not represent the true nature of the match. They were in charge for most of it. The 2 – 2 only happened due to an early red card on their side, without that I don’t want to imagine what the score would have been. A square pitch and some great players I can see why they are so high up the table.

1657879138442.png
1657879143006.png

With the last game of the month, we head into a 2-month winter break. It’s world cup time. During this time, I will be arranging friendlies to keep fitness up and hopefully bring in some bits of cash from them as well. If anything, eventful happens I will bring make a mention of it.

As for the table at this stage we are positioned 4th. At the bottom of what is looking to be a 4 headed race to the single promotion spot. But that could change with a few results so I shouldn’t count teams like Afan Lido out at this point.

1657879173175.png

After a two-month break, we go into a semi final of the Nathaniel MG Cup. The result of this was a 2 – 1 win against Ammanford a quick start to both of the halves rewarded with 2 goals. The opposition managed to get one back but couldn’t level the game out. We move to the final against TNS.

1657879216426.png

We played a couple of matches before the cup final against TNS. Highlight was against the at the time league leaders. The boys can through with an important 3 – 0 victory.

Moving on to the final, a game that I was just happy to be there for. It was a game of equals and a terrible performance for both teams. 3 shots each. TNS getting a red card after 26 minutes and then us getting on at the 63rd minute. 0 – 0 at the 90-minute mark it came down to penalties an absolute lottery, so I had some belief. This is how it went.

1657879339803.png

After six penalties each it was my team that was lifting the trophy. An excellent result where some strong performances were shown in the journey to the final. Our first piece of silverware for the save.

1657879354613.png

Last game of the month. It was a dominant game; it was a struggle to get the goals, however. We missed a penalty but got the winner through a well preformed set piece. This win keeps us at 1st in the league and on a 5-game win streak The promotion race is turning into a 2-horse race between us, and Swansea Uni. 2 points are the difference after 19 games.

1657879537177.png

This month was all wins. The games per month start to wind down from here. Next month also sees the quarter final game for the Welsh Cup against Llandudno.

1657879544512.png

Income Penybont, a team struggling to get points going against top of the league, you know what is coming. The first game of the save that I would say we should have won but didn’t. I can’t complain since we have been on the reverse of a few of these, so it was bound to happen at some point. Most disappointedly this sees us drop to 2nd now.

1657918063145.png

Another cup match came and went as well. I’m not going to be highlighting as many cup games in the future but since this is the first cup run season, I’m having it feels good to document it like I am. Might make it so I only talk about certain stages of competitions in the future.

Anyway, as for the game a 3 – 0 result with 3 different goal scorers was a great result which sees us to the next round. A prize of 7.5K also sees some help towards the finances of the club and show see us out of the red by the end of the season.

1657918100137.png

I’ve also come to a decision on my position at the end of the season. If the team gets promoted, I will take the team through there first season in the topflight, if not then I’m going to move on for a different challenge.

We have come to game 25 out of 30. With five to play it comes down to a top 3 race for the title. We find ourselves 1st currently but have a single point between us and second. As for the 25th game a 0 – 0 draw is a disappointment had some read good chances but couldn’t grab the winning goal. The next game we play is against Swansea Uni, the team 1 point behind us currently.

1657918130111.png

Swansea Uni, the game started very poorly, couldn’t get any clear chances while the opponent had a few nothing major but still worrying signs. The start of the second half was much more equal with some very scrappy chances for both teams. This continued until one of those chances turned into a goal. Thankfully this was for us and now opens a 3-point gap between us and second.

1657918174781.png

There is a clear 3 team race happening now. If the gap grows any more then I would have to say it is ours to lose. But we can’t get complacent in the games to come.

1657918194131.png

The semi-final of the Welsh cup. This game was a very one-sided affair that we really struggled to get a hold of anything, this was understandable as we were coming against 2nd in the topflight of Welsh football. However, FM will be FM. It took away from me against Penybont and it gave me a hand here against Cefn Druids.

1657918230742.png

This is how the last two months went. Two games where we dropped some points in two months is very well done. This consistence will hopefully continue into the last month but whatever happened I will say I’m happy with what has been achieved this season.

1657918251212.png

With just two games left in the league it comes down to a 4-point difference, we simply must win one game and promotion is secure. As for the games to play, we have 5th Cambrian & Clydach followed by 14th Abertillery Excelsior.

In terms of overall save progression we now start work towards earning a National B licence.

Cambrian & Clydach game was certainly one to forget, it will be a final day showdown for promotion with now just a point in between the two teams. A poor performance from the strikers is definitely to blame for this, we will just have to give it our all in the last game.

1657969555095.png

As must wins go and important start can be everything. A goal from Kirby and Davies slotting home a freekick at the 11th and 14th minute respectably was the start that was needed. A late on penalty rounded everything up and was a great way to end the season.

1657969594940.png

We have achieved a double this season with a final in a week for an unbelievable possible treble. Whatever happens it is a season to be proud of. This is how the table looked at the end of the season.

1657969608288.png

As I stated I would be signing a new deal if I was successful in getting promotion and I have just done that, another year at the club.

The cup final came. It was a disappointing game for use, with no clear chances to get ahead and only registering a single shot on target, a dominant performance in terms of possession but it means nothing when you can’t convert it. The treble wasn’t to be, but it was a very successful season overall.

1657969651609.png

With the start of a new season comes the need for new signings to make the team better. Before the start of the season, I had 5 signings lined up. Without filling the post with loads of signings here are what I would call the best 2.

First up is Steven Ellis. At 18-years-old and already rated as one of the best players at the club I hope he will have a bright future at the club. Signed on for 3 years. Capped at U18 level for Wales there is plenty to be happy about.

1657969692253.png

The next player to highlight might be playing just to Ellis’s right. Ilan Ap Gareth. I’ll just call him Gareth. At 24 he comes in to bolster one of the team’s weaker areas being the wing positions. Hoping his pace will provide some good goal scoring opportunities in the games to come.

1657969711485.png

Congrats on promotion and winning the MG cup (y) i did Colwyn Bay on 21 and led them to Champion League First knockouts Round in my 11th season.

Congrats on promotion and winning the MG cup (y) i did Colwyn Bay on 21 and led them to Champion League First knockouts Round in my 11th season.

Thank you. Very happy with the season, I wouldn't have predicted that before the start. Certainly would be nice to take the team that far but I need to move on eventually. Never done a nation build so might be something I could try

First game of the season couldn’t have come against a worse team. TNS. As expected, we were dominated but the final score was only 1 – 0 so that could have been worse. A goal for each team didn’t count as the linesman was busy. It came down to Gareth, after all it would be a new signing that would give away a stupid penalty to lose the game. But we still have 31 games to play and work to stay in the division.

1658051565297.png

Following the TNS game we have another away trip, this time to Newtown. For this game I made a single change to the starting line-up, Gareth was replaced by Rhys John the backup winger. He clearly wanted to send a message and headed into the net in the 6th minute. A late penalty secured the win for us, and we take a first points for the season

1658051603751.png

Looking at the last 2 season we should be aiming for around the mid to high 30’s in points to be safe from the drop. Grabbing 3 after the second game is very good news, hopefully we can get a good run going to help as much as possible.

This was the 3rd game of the season. Yes, I’ve talked about the last two as well, but I just have to. Another win, A very fortunate win at that, no part to the circus that was happening on the pitch. 42nd minute we take the lead by Kirby. In the second half Matthew Rodgers gets a yellow 60 minutes in and then a straight red just a few seconds later. 3 subs are made to help the team with fitness as we go very defensive. New striker James Spruce makes his debut gets taken out by an opponent 3 minutes later and is now out for 5 weeks.

1658051758765.png

An exciting start to the topflight of Welsh football.

I made the decision that this would be my last season at the club. No matter where the team finishes, it will be hard to press that resign option at the end of the season but I feel like it might be the right time at that point. I will be doing my best to help the club and put them in the best position I can do.

Anyway, that is for the future, for now we move to the last game in the league for September. A weak first half gave the impression that this would be a loss, but it all changed in the second half. Gaining the lead from another penalty, 4th of the season already. A late on goal doubled the lead and gives another 3 points.

1658052235286.png

The month of September was successful with some progress in the cup competitions and some very good results in the league. These will be a big in the fight for survival in the league. Current position of the team is 3rd, so if this continues, we shouldn’t be thinking about relegation being a possibility.

1658052288700.png

We have been avoiding a few defeats and have been rewarded with the position in the table we have. This result is an example of just that. We did take the lead in the second half and kept out the chances that they had. Until the 85th minute with an exceptional chip on our keeper by John Lewis (His name is a shop!).

1658225580417.png

A game against Connah’s Quay is a humbling defeat and probably a snap back to reality with the quality of the team. 3 – 0 was the score and it could have easily been more. January can not come quick enough. I have 3 signings lined up that will hopefully provide a big boost to the team.

1658225603276.png

After that performance you would think a game against TNS would go just as poorly, but this team clearly likes knocking down the big lads when they are against them. 1 – 0 with a goal after 4 minutes from Kirby got the lead, with the team holding on to the final whistle.

1658225645091.png

November must be the worst month of the save so far. Good performances in the cup and against TNS was followed by 3 losses in a row, all of them were close games and could have gone either way. Just to add to the disappointment.

1658225682442.png

I have been applying for a few positions at different clubs to get an idea of what the next step of the save will be. This came into my inbox after a while.

1658225896036.png

My personal decision is to stay at the club until the end of the season as there is the chance for some more silverware and I don't fancy going into England at this point as I could be in the top leagues of some of the other countries available.

After that we go to play Airbus, the team find themselves in the relegation zone so getting a 1- 3 victory is great, in addition it’s the 3rd win in a row. It was a very busy last 10 minutes to this game, with 3 of the goals coming in that time.

1658226678766.png