Building From The Back- How to set up an Effective defence. Centre Backs.

Super Deep Defence

I have a question.
I'm playing Chelsea currently
the 2 centre backs are Mexes and Terry (both of them have 11 for acceleration) which one suits them best?

Also can the Stopper/Cover tactics be implemented on both the Super Deep Defense and the Offside Trap tactics??
which philosophy should I use? Rigid / Fluid / balance

Last edited:
When playing top sides I always play Rigid and Contain, exploit both flanks. If they are really pummeling me I'll play counter-attack, and pass to feet. I've tried retain possession recently against Man City but it didn't help. Sometimes if I'm really struggling I will play 2 defensive midfielders just in front of the defence.

Swchiiz: play SDD method it works for terry cos he quite bad when playing with speedy striker & dun play offside trap. get sakho better.

i actually play more better with a deep defensive line. my defenders don't wander like they use to do, and concede like either 2,1 or none :p

I'm playing with a 4-2-3-1 sort of switching between CMs and CDMs depending on opposition, but the formula stays the same. I have my 2 central midfielders guarding the backline and I have 2 pretty fast CBs who neither of them can really play the stopper position. So I was wondering if I should put both of them on defend or on cover, since in theory they would normally be covering the 2 midfielders.

What's your take on this?

Will Do, Im gonna do one about Fullbacks/Wingbacks in a bit too :)

I know this as an old thread but I've just found that very useful as I'm still on the FM2011 version. Did you ever get round to doing one for the fullbacks as well?? As that would also be a great help

I play high defensive line with two CD on defend duties without playing offside trap.. I don't encounter defensive problems, but am curious about does this system has a sense?

anyone help me with which defender should be left or right? I'm playing a High Defensive line for possession with agger (leftie) and Papadoupoulos (right footed). Agger is BPD and Papdoupoulos is Stopper, but I might consider changing this... anyhow, should I leave Agger as CDR and Papadoupoulos as CDL? thx a million