Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

If Activision doesn't change anything the production value won't go up. Call of Duty was stagnating once, after the release of CoD 3 and then they made the series what it is today with CoD4. The problem is that right now Call of Duty are still breaking numerous records for sales and if that doesn't stop then unfortunately Activision won't need to change it. At least they did include dedicated servers in MW3 PC, but that's probably only a decision they made because they know it will make them more money.

Woah, woah, woah. Activision did not make CoD what it is today, Infinity Ward did. They were given at least some creative reign over CoD4 and changed the modern FPS era. Then what happened? It made money, so Activision milked it and still are. Now they've alienated IW away from their company to a rival who's trying to hit the very market CoD dominates. (BF3, new IW IP). Do you even realise what stagnating means? For the past pages you've said "Activision shouldn't change anything because then it wouldn't be CoD". You're admitting to the series stagnating in those sentences and then arguing against it. I've played every CoD since CoD4 as the main game I played multiplayer on, and I didn't even really care about the single player, yet I still think it's getting tedious and boring. That's what lack of innovation and development does, people WILL get bored of the same old. Why do you think manufactured pop artists have relatively short careers whereas the truly innovative musicians make their careers go almost endlessly?

CoD4 is still by far the best game of the series to come out in this current generation, after the first few weeks of a new CoD I've always gone back to it. And your comment about it breaking sales records means nothing. Justin Bieber breaks records, does that mean he's the best thing to happen to music?

That's what lack of innovation and development does, people WILL get bored of the same old.

The minority will, though most of these people will still purchase the game regardless. Whereas the vast majority will remain entertained by the game for quite a long period and rack up some serious playtime because they still enjoy it.

Would it be possible to add a poll 'Will you be buying Modern Warfare 3?" Would be interesting to see the results.

The minority will, though most of these people will still purchase the game regardless. Whereas the vast majority will remain entertained by the game for quite a long period and rack up some serious playtime because they still enjoy it.

They'll still inevitably tire of it.

Seen some gameplay of it, like the last couple, very very little change. Who's surprised?

I disagree, the reason it's so successful is because of the game engine, I don't see a time when a CoD game gets released with this gameplay and isn't still a massive success.

Woah, woah, woah. Activision did not make CoD what it is today, Infinity Ward did. They were given at least some creative reign over CoD4 and changed the modern FPS era. Then what happened? It made money, so Activision milked it and still are. Now they've alienated IW away from their company to a rival who's trying to hit the very market CoD dominates. (BF3, new IW IP). Do you even realise what stagnating means? For the past pages you've said "Activision shouldn't change anything because then it wouldn't be CoD". You're admitting to the series stagnating in those sentences and then arguing against it. I've played every CoD since CoD4 as the main game I played multiplayer on, and I didn't even really care about the single player, yet I still think it's getting tedious and boring. That's what lack of innovation and development does, people WILL get bored of the same old. Why do you think manufactured pop artists have relatively short careers whereas the truly innovative musicians make their careers go almost endlessly?

CoD4 is still by far the best game of the series to come out in this current generation, after the first few weeks of a new CoD I've always gone back to it. And your comment about it breaking sales records means nothing. Justin Bieber breaks records, does that mean he's the best thing to happen to music?

That was not what I meant by it. I know Infinity Ward makes the games, no need to go on a massive tangent. And please find where I have directly said it's not stagnating, or rather, it won't be, in fact, I have been suggesting otherwise. And no, I haven't said that.

Thank you. Kind regards, Mads2506.

Last edited:
That was not what I meant by it. I know Infinity Ward makes the games, no need to go on a massive tangent. And please find where I have directly said it's not stagnating, or rather, it won't be, in fact, I have been suggesting otherwise. And no, I haven't said that.

Thank you. Kind regards, Mads2506.

How is talking about IW - the game creators - in reply to what you said going off on a tangent?

I don't know why epople suddently think it's stagnated
Call of Duty was stagnating once, after the release of CoD 3 and then they made the series what it is today with CoD4.

I can find a couple more quotes from the thread. If you want to argue they're not direct, if you're say it WAS stagnating then you're implying it no longer is. And people haven't 'suddenly' thought it's stagnating. The contempt for it was there since at least MW2, that game saw massive shifts from the community back to previous iterations or other titles. That fact is just disguised by the fact Activision are a hype and marketing machine.

People will get tired of it and stop playing.
But at the same time, the generation of kids who were too young or didn't have the chance to play CoD4 will be getting into the games and they'll only serve to replace those that do stop playing.
Also with consoles selling more and more the amount of "new" customers CoD is getting is only increasing.

Sadly I can see it staying that way untill somthing comes along and knocks everything away like how CoD4 did.

Battlefield for me seems a more mature game, it's less about pure individual skill and more about being able to use that skill as part of a team. That's why I feel CoD will always be a bigger seller because it gives kids a chance to show off and what 14 year old wouldn't love the chance to scream down a mic about he destroyed the other team.

As Redrup said, not really. The CoD players keep buying it because they like the base gameplay of it. The phrase "if it's not broken don't fix it" comes to mind (although with each release there are actually alot of broken things - but more along the lines of perks and guns rather than core gameplay).

As long as they just shake it up with new maps, guns, perks and other fluff people will keep buying it.

I like CoD and personally i'd rather they change less. They focus too much on adding more killstreaks and perks with every release, which just adds to more imbalance. I'd prefer fewer options if it meant that every option (= gun or perk) is viable and balanced.

As Redrup said, not really. The CoD players keep buying it because they like the base gameplay of it. The phrase "if it's not broken don't fix it" comes to mind (although with each release there are actually alot of broken things - but more along the lines of perks and guns rather than core gameplay).

As long as they just shake it up with new maps, guns, perks and other fluff people will keep buying it.

There's countless number of products throughout history that were so good they'd never stop selling, that "weren't broke so don't fix them", yet they will still inevitably die out if the companies don't bother to innovate them and just keep milking it. Repetition is boring, people WILL eventually get bored of playing the same thing over and over, year after year. Just because it currently doesn't look like slowing down doesn't mean that it won't. Unfamiliar with concepts like product life cycle and creative destruction I take it?

Product life cycle curve:

images

How is talking about IW - the game creators - in reply to what you said going off on a tangent?

I can find a couple more quotes from the thread. If you want to argue they're not direct, if you're say it WAS stagnating then you're implying it no longer is. And people haven't 'suddenly' thought it's stagnating. The contempt for it was there since at least MW2, that game saw massive shifts from the community back to previous iterations or other titles. That fact is just disguised by the fact Activision are a hype and marketing machine.

Come on now. Activision can't touch EA when it comes to marketing. How they manage to sell so many copies of their games is incredible. Year after year I say to myself that I'm not going to get hyped for this years FIFA due to the short fallings of the latest game - and year after year I end up hyped and looking forward to the new FIFA.(and then disappointed eventually)

They are genius' of the market and even if FIFA 12 is utter *****, I'll still pay them my £40. ****, their marketing is worth £30 itself.

Come on now. Activision can't touch EA when it comes to marketing. How they manage to sell so many copies of their games is incredible. Year after year I say to myself that I'm not going to get hyped for this years FIFA due to the short fallings of the latest game - and year after year I end up hyped and looking forward to the new FIFA.(and then disappointed eventually)

They are genius' of the market and even if FIFA 12 is utter *****, I'll still pay them my £40. ****, their marketing is worth £30 itself.

I didn't say EA were bad at marketing? :/ They're exceptional at shifting their sports titles, but still, Fifa has undergone a few big innovations in the fundamental gameplay of it, mainly because they've always had PES fighting them to be top.

I find the single player for Call of Duty rather enjoyable, personally.

I didn't say EA were bad at marketing? :/ They're exceptional at shifting their sports titles, but still, Fifa has undergone a few big innovations in the fundamental gameplay of it, mainly because they've always had PES fighting them to be top.

1) In bold isn't a question. Why is there a question mark at the end. Couldn't resist.
2) I never said you did, I was just making a point about EA whilst the topic was about game developers and marketing...

And yeah, tbf they have done some nice things to the game this year but that's for another thread.

1) In bold isn't a question. Why is there a question mark at the end. Couldn't resist.
2) I never said you did, I was just making a point about EA whilst the topic was about game developers and marketing...

And yeah, tbf they have done some nice things to the game this year but that's for another thread.

1) In bold is a question. Why isn't there a question mark at the end? Couldn't resist.
2) It is a question. He's questioning at what point did he say EA were bad at marketing.

1) In bold is a question. Why isn't there a question mark at the end? Couldn't resist.
2) It is a question. He's questioning at what point did he say EA were bad at marketing.

You're clever. Highlight the end of my 1st point;)

And no, it's not a question. He made a statement.

Don't worry though, schools have started. I'm sure you'll pick it up soon.

You're clever. Highlight the end of my 1st point;)

And no, it's not a question. He made a statement.

Don't worry though, schools have started. I'm sure you'll pick it up soon.

I asked a question, out of confusion from you quoting me and not mentioning anything I said.

:):)

Protip: CoD sells itself, it's easy to sell something when it's already a best seller.

I asked a question, out of confusion from you quoting me and not mentioning anything I said.

:):)

"I didn't say EA were bad at marketing?"

...Isn't a question.

It's a statment.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Protip: CoD sells itself, it's easy to sell something when it's already a best seller.

Implying I didn't already know this.