tropicalafc

Reaction score
View attachment 395239

View attachment 395238

I am pleased to have been appointed as the new manager of Cambridge United.

View attachment 395237

Cambridge United were formed in 1912 and have spent most of their recent history in the the Conference, or Skrill Premier as it is now called. The club last hosted football league action in the 2004-2005 season, when they were relegated in bottom place. Since then it has been a constant battle to return to the football league, a battle which they have almost overcome on a few occasions.

View attachment 395235

Cambridge United curently play at the Abbey Stadium. It has a seated capacity of 9,617, although recently the attendances have been nowhere near full.

View attachment 395234

The squad is full of young players, only 3 are above the age of 25. I'll be looking to offload a few as we can only use a matchday squad of 16 so there will be limited opportunities for a fair few players.

Key Players

View attachment 395232

View attachment 395231

Luke Berry. The creative force in our midfield. I have not decided yet whether to play Luke just behind the striker or in a central midfield role. I will try him out in both positions during pre-season. At 20 years old, I'm hoping Luke will be with us for years to come.

View attachment 395230

View attachment 395229

Club captain Ian Miller is the most senior member of the squad. I'm hoping his experience can lead to defensive solidity throughout this year.

View attachment 395227

View attachment 395225

Adam Cunnington looks like he will be a real handful for defences this year. As of now, I'm looking for him to lead the line ahead of the other strikers we have. Tom Elliott has the quality to work his way into the team.

View attachment 395223

Luton, Barnet, Kidderminster and Wrexham are the bookies favourites for promotion this year.

July 2013

View attachment 395159

Pre-Season Friendly

Bishop's Stortford 0-4 Cambridge United

A decent start to pre-season, most of the squad got 45 minutes each today. Second half goals from Ashley Chambers and Delano Sam-Yorke wrapped up a simple win.

View attachment 395157

Kevin Roberts is ruled out for around 2 weeks.

Pre-Season Friendly

St Neots 0-3 Cambridge United

Another good performance today. Luke Berry was pushed forward behind the striker and played very well so I'm keen for him to remain in that position. Berry opened the scoring and Tom Elliott got two in the second half.

Pre-Season Friendly

Cambridge United 0-4 Ipswich

I'm not too concerned. The majority of players were fringe players and the scoreline flatters Ipswich immensely.

Pre-Season Friendly

Bury Town 0-2 Cambridge United

An excellent performance all round. 2 goals from Ryan Donaldson.

View attachment 395153

Harrison Dunk has been ruled out for around 3 weeks.

View attachment 395152

August 2013

View attachment 395118

Pre-Season Friendly

Royston 1-4 Cambridge United

A good performance as we near the start of the season. Goals from Champion, Donaldson and two for Cunnington.

Pre-Season Friendly

St Ives 0-3 Cambridge United

I started the game with the 11 players that I plan to begin the season with and no-one has really changed my mind. A good showing in our final friendly game. Cunnington got two and Champion made it 3.

Season Preview

Pre-season went well and I we are ready to go. We admittedly played most of our games against small local clubs but we've been able to reach decent fitness levels and the overall confidence of the squad is high. Obviously our targets this year are to get promoted to the football league but it is a long season and it is difficult to predict how we will get on. I'm very pleased with the squad that I have available and feel we are more than capable of mounting a challenge. The financial state of the club isn't great and we could really use the extra funds provided with promotion.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-0 Halifax

A good start to the season but we really could have scored a lot more. I'm not complaining as a win is a win, but there were a few chances late on for Halifax that we could have paid for. Adam Cunnington scored the only goal of the game in the first half. Tom Elliott was taken off injured late on.

View attachment 395117

View attachment 395116

Tom Elliott is ruled out for up to 3 months. A terrible way to begin the season for Tom.

Skrill Premier

Welling 0-2 Cambridge United

A decent win away to make it 2/2. Tom Bonner scored an excellent header to make it 1-0 in the first half. A nervy second half ensued as we seemed incapable of finishing them off. Liam Hurst finally made the breakthrough in injury time to make it 2-0.

View attachment 395115

View attachment 395114

Harrison Dunk returns to full training.

Skrill Premier

Aldershot 1-1 Cambridge United

A difficult game today as we score late to rescue a point. Bradley Bubb gave Aldershot a first half lead. We dominated the game but couldn't find a way through. With five minutes left, Tom Bonner saved the day with another good header from a corner.

View attachment 395113

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-0 Lincoln

Back to winning ways with a decent home performance. We took the lead in the first half when a Harrison Dunk cross was turned into his own net by Luke Foster. Ten minutes into the second half, Lincoln were harshly awarded a red card and Cunnington made it 2-0 from the resulting free-kick. We saw out the rest of the game comfortably.

View attachment 395112

View attachment 395111

The home game against Tamworth has been selected as a fan day.

Skrill Premier

Luton 1-1 Cambridge United

A late equaliser salvaged Luton a point in the derby. We played superbly throughout and were unfortunate not to take all three. We got some late luck a few weeks ago so it's only fair that we accept it when it goes the other way. Tom Bonner scored again to give us the lead. Paul Benson got Luton's equaliser. Overall, I'm pleased to walk away from this game having not lost.

View attachment 395110

Skrill Premier

Cambridge 1-0 Tamworth

Fan day at the Abbey Stadium and we sent the supporters home happy. Just! Tamworth gave us a really good game and will feel hard done by to go home with nothing. Liam Hurst got the only goal of the game with 20 minutes of the game remaining.

View attachment 395109

View attachment 395108

Luke Berry wins Young Player of the Month.

View attachment 395107

I'm pleased to win Manager of the Month in my first month in charge.

View attachment 395106

View attachment 395105

August Review

An excellent start to the season. Unbeaten and top of the league. I'm very happy with our start but there is a long, long way to go and I'm not getting ahead of myself. Some excellent attacking play and some super defending has put us in good stead for the months ahead.

Player of the Month

Tom Bonner. Three important goals this month and some all round top class defensive work. He's been a real asset for us and I hope to see it continue.

September 2013

View attachment 394903

Skrill Premier

Hyde 0-0 Cambridge United

An extremely disappointing draw away to Hyde. We dominated the game completely but couldn't find a way through.

View attachment 394904

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 5-3 Gateshead

Goals galore today! Cunnington gave us the lead after 5 minutes but Gateshead replied instantly through Josh Walker. Luke Berry scored his first of the season to make it 2-1 and again Gateshead equalised quickly through a super Phil Turnbull goal. It was 3-2 before half time, goal scored by Ryan Donaldson. Soon after the break, Harrison Dunk made it 4-2 after a scrap in the box. Berry was then brought down in the area, Cunnington scored the penalty. A late Gateshead rally saw Lewis Sirrell score and it ended 5-3.

View attachment 394902

View attachment 394901

The game, of course, broke a couple of goalscoring records.

Skrill Premier

Alfreton 1-1 Cambridge United

A good away performance today. Cunnington gave us the lead but Alfreton equalised through John Akinde. Cunnington almost won it for us late on but his shot struck the bar.

View attachment 394900

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-1 Forest Green

A brilliant win after falling behind. Luke Norris scored an excellent free kick in the first half to make it 1-0 to the away side. Cunnington equalised before half time. The second half was fairly even but man of the moment, Tom Bonner, grabbed the winner with 20 minutes left. We held on to grab another valuable three points.

View attachment 394899

View attachment 394898

Harrison Dunk will be sidelined for around 2 weeks.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-0 Nuneaton

Once again we could've scored three or four today but we got the win and that's what matters. Mitchell Austin, making his first start of the season, put in a wonderful cross for Cunnington to head home the only goal of the game.

View attachment 394897

Skrill Premier

Wrexham 0-4 Cambridge United

A simply stunning win away to a strong Wrexham side. Liam Hurst put us ahead with an excellent strike from outside the box. Hurst got his second, heading in a Cunnington free-kick just before half time. Shortly after the break, Cunnington was brought down in the area and Hurst converted for his hat-trick. Late on, Ashley Chambers got his first of the season to wrap up our best performance of the season.

View attachment 394896

View attachment 394895

I am pleased to say that I have won Manager of the Month for the second month running.

View attachment 394894

View attachment 394893

September Review

We've carried on our brilliant early season form into another month. Unbeaten and six points clear at the top. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with our start. We've played with real attacking intent in most of our games and have looked assured at the back. We must keep our feet on the ground though as any slip ups and there are a host of teams waiting to pounce. We face Grimsby away from home on the 8th​ October, the only other team yet to lose. Should be interesting!

Player of the Month

Adam Cunnington. Adam has shown how valuable he is to us by leading the line and scoring goals for fun. With Tom Elliott out injured, he has had to play more games than originally planned and has coped very well. An honourable mention too for Liam Hurst. The midfielder's hat-trick against Wrexham capped a very solid month.

October 2013

View attachment 394652

View attachment 394653

Winger Nathan Arnold wants out. He hasn't featured yet this season and it seems unlikely that he'll make his way into my plans any time soon. Will most likely leave in January.

View attachment 394651

Luke Berry speaks to me about a desire to move on. I try to convince him that we can get promoted this season but even that doesn't seem to be enough. I'm hoping we can at least keep hold of him until the end of the season. Very disappointing nonetheless.

View attachment 394650

Harrison Dunk appears to have the same issues on his mind. This time the promise of promotion is enough.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-1 Hereford

We remain unbeaten but we have to be disappointed with a home draw here. Michael Rankine scored very early on but Liam Hurst equalised before half time. Both sides had chances to win in the second half but it ended level.

View attachment 394649

View attachment 394648

Tom Elliott returns to full training. Tom has been out injured since the first game of the season.

Skrill Premier

Grimsby 2-1 Cambridge United

The unbeaten run comes to an end in massively disappointing fashion. We dominated the first half and things got worse for Grimsby when they were reduced to ten men after half an hour. Against the run of play, it was Grimsby who took the lead. Liam Hearn scoring the goal. As we pressed for an equaliser, Grimsby caught us on the break and Hearn scored again. Cunnington got us back into it with 15 minutes left. We pushed hard for the equaliser but to no avail.

View attachment 394647

View attachment 394646

England today qualified for the World Cup in Brazil.

Skrill Premier

Chester 2-2 Cambridge United

A strange game. We'll feel lucky to draw but somehow unfortunate not to win. We simply were not in the game today at any point. I was shocked to see us take the lead with half an hour left. Chester deservedly equalised almost straight away through John Rooney. With ten minutes left, Cunnington got his second of the game to give us the lead again It looked as if we had completely robbed three points. Then, in injury time, Tom Peers got a deserved equaliser for Chester.

View attachment 394645

View attachment 394644

We have been drawn to play Hayes and Yeading at home in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round. The tie will be played at the end of this month.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 3-1 Salisbury

A decent result to get our first win of the month. Dan Fitchett gave Salisbury the lead after 5 minutes but Adam Cunnington responded immediately. Luke Berry put us ahead in the second half and Ian Miller made sure of it late on. Tom Elliott returned from injury, playing half an hour at the end.

View attachment 394643

FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round

Cambridge United 4-1 Hayes & Yeading

A comfortable win to send us through to the first round. Josh Coulson, Tom Elliott, Luke Allen and Ashley Chambers with our goals. Alex Cerdeira for Hayes & Yeading.

View attachment 394642

View attachment 394641

Ashley Chambers has been ruled out for 5-6 weeks.

View attachment 394640

We are drawn away to League 1 Bristol City in the FA Cup First Round.

View attachment 394639

View attachment 394638

October Review

An average month by our own standards. We went down to our first defeat of the season but thankfully finished the month strongly. We are still top of the league but Grimsby, Barnet and Luton are very much breathing down our necks. A few more poor results and we'll soon slip down the table.

Player of the Month

Liam Hurst. Liam has been outstanding all season long and has continued to prove why he is so important to our midfield.

November 2013

View attachment 394636

Skrill Premier

Southport 5-4 Cambridge United

An utterly appalling defensive display has cost us dearly. We drop down to 4th​ in the league. Richard Brodie scored two in quick succession early on and Karl Ledsham made it 3-0. Luke Berry pulled one back but Brodie completed his hat-trick before half time. We responded in the second half and Berry made it 4-2 with a fluke 40 yard free kick, his second of the game. Billy Whitehouse appeared to have shattered any hopes we had by making it 5-2, but Berry completed his hat-trick to make it 5-3. Harrison Dunk scored again in injury time but it was too late. 5-4. Madness.

View attachment 394635

View attachment 394634

We again break goalscoring records.

FA Cup First Round

Bristol City 2-1 Cambridge United

We were by far the better side today and are terribly unfortunate to be out. We at least deserved a point. Tyrone Bennett gave Bristol City the lead early on but Cunnington equalised just before the break. We had all the play in the second half but fell behind through Jay Emmanuel-Thomas. We gave it all we had but couldn't find a goal.

View attachment 394633

View attachment 394632

Tom Champion will be suspended for the next game.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 0-1 Aldershot

Another terrible league result. Bar the cup game, this team is unrecognisable from a month or so ago. Josh Scott scored the only goal of the game in the first half. We never looked like we were going to get back in it, and we didn't. Richard Tait, Kevin Roberts and Luke Allen were all taken off injured.

View attachment 394631

View attachment 394630

Luke Allen will be out for 3-4 weeks.

View attachment 394629

Kevin Roberts will be out for just a few days.

Skrill Premier

Barnet 1-0 Cambridge United

Luck just isn't on our side lately. We controlled the game well against top-of-the-league Barnet. Things got better when they were reduced to ten men with half an hour left. We pressed for the winner but were caught out when a Lusima Villa shot was heading well wide but bounced off Keiron Morris and into the net. So unlucky today.

View attachment 394628

View attachment 394627

We have been drawn at home to Histon in the FA Trophy First Round.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-0 Macclesfield

A very important win. We dominated throughout and were very close to leaving frustrated. Tom Champion grabbing the winner five minutes from the end. This was much needed.

View attachment 394626

View attachment 394625

Tom Elliott faces another extended period on the sidelines, the prognosis is around 2 months.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-0 Woking

Two Luke Berry goals in the first half were enough to settle it. A good performance and it's been a while since I last felt comfortable at half time! We saw out the second half in a similar fashion to make it two wins on the bounce.

View attachment 394624

View attachment 394623

Ashley Chambers resumes full training.

FA Trophy First Round

Cambridge United 0-2 Histon

Pathetic. Absolutely terrible. We should be winning this by five or six goals but instead we're out. We were in control throughout but Histon were a constant threat on the counter. Late goals from Kaine Sheppard sunk us.

View attachment 394622

View attachment 394621

Luke Berry is named Young Player of the Month

View attachment 394620

(Apologies, forgot the screenshot of the league table)

November Review

Well, I'm not really sure where to begin. Our unbeaten run seems like a long time ago now and we are very fortunate to still be near the top of the table. We've gone from six points clear to six points behind. We need to rediscover our spark very soon. I won't even mention the Histon game, I'm surprised I still have a job.

Player of the Month

Luke Berry. A light in an otherwise dark month. Five goals this month and you can't help but feel he's putting himself in the shop window.

December 2013

View attachment 394325

View attachment 394324

Luke Allen returns to full training.

View attachment 394323

England get a tough draw in the World Cup.

Skrill Premier

Tamworth 0-3 Cambridge United

A solid win away from home. Luke Berry put us ahead in the first half, heading in at the near post from a Harrison Dunk cross. Tom Bonner made it 2-0 in the second half with a header from a corner. Dunk sent in another cross and Ashley Chambers was there to wrap up the win. Dunk, after such a good performance, was unfortunately taken off through injury.

View attachment 394322

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 0-1 Luton

A poor result here. Luton were reduced to ten men after 20 minutes and despite our dominance throughout, we've somehow lost the game. Craig Sutherland scored the only goal of the game just before half time. Very disappointing.

View attachment 394321

View attachment 394320

Goalkeeper John Sullivan is ruled out for around 2 weeks.

Skrill Premier

Hereford 0-2 Cambridge United

We absolutely battered Hereford today. Harrison Dunk continued his fine form this month by getting what turned out to be the winner in the first half. We continued to dominate Hereford but, as it was still only 1-0, I was quite worried. Ashley Chambers finally got our second in second half injury time.

View attachment 394319

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 3-3 Braintree

On a day when our defence has let us down, it is a defender who has rescued us. It sort of summed up our season. The moment I want to get angry with the players, they respond with brilliance. How bad were our defence today? Well, their keeper managed to get 2 assists. A long ball from keeper Nathan McDonald, one touch from Dan Holman and Braintree were ahead. We equalised on 40 minutes through Ryan Donaldson. Charlie Adams made it 2-1 to Braintree just before half time. We responded well and Luke Allen came on and grabbed an equaliser. Moments later, another long ball from the keeper and it was 3-2. Defender Tom Bonner rescued us with a stoppage time equaliser.

View attachment 394318

View attachment 394317

Ashley Chambers is ruled out for up to 4 weeks.

Skrill Premier

Nuneaton 1-2 Cambridge United

A very important win to wrap up the month. I thought it was going to be one of those days as despite dominating the game, we fell behind. Wes York with the goal. Thankfully, Harrison Dunk got us back in the game before half time. It looked as though we'd have to settle for a draw but Adam Cunnington scored with 20 minutes left to nick the three points. It was Adam's first goal since the first week of November.

View attachment 394316

View attachment 394315

View attachment 394314

December Review

A decent month. If we can start playing a bit better in front of our own fans then the future looks bright. We're still towards the top of the table despite our collapse a few months back. I think automatic promotion is a bit of a long shot but that's what we're going to aim for and hope that things go our way.

Player of the Month

Harrison Dunk. He's been exceptional this month. Two goals and three assists. He's still young put is already proving to be an important member of the team.

January 2014

View attachment 394312

View attachment 394311

Our game against Braintree is postponed.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 3-2 Grimsby

An excellent win at home to Grimsby who are just behind us in the league. We dominated from start to finish and we are unlucky to have conceded two. Luke Berry opened the scoring after 5 minutes and Ryan Donaldson doubled the lead soon after. Liam Hearn pulled one back against the run of play and the first half ended 2-1. We continued to press for the third goal but couldn't finish them off. Ten minutes from time Hearn scored again and it looked like we'd blown a massive opportunity. Five minutes later, Berry scored his second of the game and sealed a deserved win against top opposition.

View attachment 394310

View attachment 394309

Tom Elliott returns to full training after a second long-term spell on the sidelines.

View attachment 394308

The Braintree match is postponed for a second time.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 3-2 Alfreton

We continue our good form with another important three points. Adam Cunnington gave us the lead when Harrison Dunk's shot was parried into his path. Matt Crooks equalised before half time. We re-took the lead soon into the second half, Tom Bonner with a powerful header from a corner. Ryan Donaldson then made it 3-1 with ten minutes to go. Matt Crooks got a second late on but it was too little, too late.

View attachment 394306

View attachment 394305

Ashley Chambers returns to full training.

Skrill Premier

Halifax 2-1 Cambridge United

We absolutely dominated Halifax in the opening half an hour but found ourselves 2-0 down at half time. Goals from Lindon Meikle and Lee Gregory. The goals hammered morale and we could only muster a consolation through Tom Elliott in the second half. Very diasppointing.

View attachment 394304

Skrill Premier

Braintree 0-3 Cambridge United

Our game against Braintree finally gets the go-ahead and we come away with a very good away win. Cunnington got the first two and Tom Champion made it 3-0 late on. Ian Miller was taken off injured.

View attachment 394301

View attachment 394300

Ashley Chambers, having just returned from injury, is ruled out for a further 2 weeks.

View attachment 394299

Nathan Arnold has left the club after we came to an agreement to terminate his contract. Arnold had been unhappy at his lack of involvement this season.

Skrill Premier

Dartford 0-4 Cambridge United

Another superb display away from home. Richard Tait got his first of the season to make it 1-0. Luke Berry made it 2-0 with a ludicrous chip from about 30 yards. Tom Bonner scored the third just after half time and Tom Elliott the fourth late on. Tom Champion was taken off injured in the first half.

View attachment 394297

View attachment 394296

Tom Champion has been ruled out for 2 months. A gutting blow.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-0 Wrexham

Another important three points. We played well but struggled to finish chances. Thankfully it didn't matter in the end as Adam Cunnington won us the game with a wonder goal in the first half. We leave the ground with a tired squad, after a challenging month.

View attachment 394295

View attachment 394294

Luke Berry wins Young Player of the Month.

View attachment 394293

I'm pleased to be awarded Manager of the Month.

View attachment 394291

View attachment 394290

January Review

An excellent month and we finish top of the league. Luton and Barnet still have games in hand but I'd rather have the points at this moment in time. I pray that we can keep this form up for the next few months. It's been an encouraging response to our mid-season slump but it obviously keeps it fresh in the mind of how quickly it can all go wrong. A physically exhausting month for the players but we only have three games scheduled for February which should keep them fresh.

Player of the Month

Luke Berry. Three goals for Luke this month and he really has been the difference in a lot of games this season. Eleven goals and fourteen assists in all competitions back that up. I truly believe that if we don't win promotion this season, we will lose this marvellous player.

February 2014

View attachment 394285

View attachment 394284

Ashley Chambers resumes training.

Skrill Premier

Kidderminster 4-1 Cambridge United

An awful result away to in-form Kidderminster, who move three points above us. We were caught on the break chasing the game after going 2-0 down early on. We must pick ourselves up from this and stay in the chase.

View attachment 394283

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-3 Welling

Everything that could have gone wrong today, did. You wouldn't have thought it at 3.30pm as we were plain sailing and 2-0 up. Goals from Luke Allen and Ryan Donaldson. From then on.. disaster. Luke Berry was sent off for a second yellow card and Joe Healy capitalised to make it 2-1. Ian Miller then brought down Mason Davy in the box and it was 2-2 at half time. We held on for most of the second half but lost Liam Hurst and Tom Elliott to injury. Without any substitutions, we were left with eight men on the field. Welling took advantage, scoring late on to take all three points.

View attachment 394282

View attachment 394281

View attachment 394280

Liam Hurst and Tom Elliott will both be out for the next 2 months.

Ryan Horne has been promoted from the U18 squad to cope with the losses.

View attachment 394279

Josh Coulson tells me he wants to leave due to his lack of action. I reluctantly agree.

Skrill Premier

Salisbury 1-1 Cambridge United

I feared the worst today but was pleasantly surprised by the players that came in. We were not our usual selves, obviously, but played well throughout. We looked to have lost the game with then minutes left when Dan Fitchett gave Salisbury the lead. But two minutes into injury time, Mitchell Austin scored to get us a deserved equaliser.

View attachment 394278

View attachment 394276

View attachment 394275

February Review

A textbook example of how quickly things can turn upside-down in football. We were top of the league three games ago and now it's looking like a massive long shot for us to get 1st​ place. Judging from the season so far, it would be foolish to rule it out but with our current state we must focus on maintaining our play-off place.

Player of the Month

Ryan Donaldson. It's hard to look for anything bright in this month but Ryan has highlighted his excellent season so far with two goals this month.

March 2014

View attachment 394244

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 0-2 Kidderminster

When we dominated for the first half an hour, I knew we were in trouble. Sure enough, 2-0 down at half time. We'll get nowhere if we don't take our chances.

View attachment 394243

Skrill Premier

Forest Green 1-3 Cambridge United

An excellent, confidence-boosting win. We were unlucky not be ahead at half time, I feared the worst. Thankfully Adam Cunnington scored just after half time and Tom Bonner doubled the lead with half an hour left. Forest Green pulled one back with ten minutes left and looked to have set up a nervy ending. Ashley Chambers banished the worries with a super goal to wrap up the win.

View attachment 394242

View attachment 394241

Harrison Dunk will likely miss the next match through injury.

View attachment 394240

The club announce a new intake of youth players. The stand out player being striker Michael Hunt.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-1 Dartford

Another very important three points today. Especially after going 1-0 down. Dartford started brightly and went ahead after five minutes through Mat Mitchel-King. The goal spurred us on and we dominated from then on. Cunnington finished off a super team move with the equaliser just before half time. Luke Berry then scored an excellent free-kick and it turned out to be the winner.

View attachment 394239

View attachment 394238

Hyde are relegated. They've picked up just one win from 38 games so far and lie 18 points behind Woking in 23rd​ place.

View attachment 394237

Tom Champion returns to full training.

Skrill Premier

Woking 1-2 Cambridge United

A brilliant win! Adam Cunnington put us ahead in the first half. In the second, Tom Bonner was unfortunate to turn a cross into his own goal but Cunnington grabbed his second and the winner late on!

View attachment 394236

View attachment 394235

Forest Green win the FA Trophy win a 1-0 win over Kidderminster in the final.

View attachment 394233

Tom Elliott returns to full training.

View attachment 394232

I am delighted to have signed a new three year deal with the club.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-1 Barnet

Barnet are a good side so I'll take a point against the, home or away. We have to be slightly disappointed not to get the win things could've been worse. We, once again, dominated the game and went ahead through Cunnington. A Luisma Villa cross was unfortunately turned into his own goal by our keeper, John Sullivan, to equalise. We had chances to win but we cannot be disheartened with a draw against one of the best teams in the league.

View attachment 394231

View attachment 394230

View attachment 394229

March Review

A decent month. It is another perfect example of our topsy turvy season. If we played to the best of our abilities we would have won promotion by now. With six games left, this is the time when we must put our bad form behind us and really crack on. With Luton 9 points ahead of us, it will take a miracle to achieve automatic promotion but we really must push on and at least give the play-offs a crack. If we play like we have done recently, it should be achievable.

Player of the Month

Adam Cunnington. Five goals this month for the striker and he continues to show his worth to us. He had a small slump in the middle of the season but I never truly doubted his ability. 22 goals so far this season proves that.

April 2014

View attachment 394222

Skrill Premier

Macclesfield 0-2 Cambridge United

An impressive win, considering we were second best for most of the game. Tom Bonner gave us the lead and Harrison Dunk made it 2 before half time. We finished the game with ten men, when Ashley Chambers was forced off through injury.

View attachment 394221

View attachment 394220

Luton secure a play-off spot, I'd be very surprised if they didn't win the league at this point.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-2 Southport

A very, very disappointing result. Of course you don't need me to tell you that we had most of the possession and all of the chances. That's how we lose games, isn't it?

(Apologies, forgot to screenshot the match stats)

View attachment 394219

Liam Hurst resumes full training.

View attachment 394218

Barnet secure a play-off spot.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge 11-0 Hyde

Woah. Hyde had gone thirty games without a win so the least I was expecting was to make it thirty-one. I didn't expect that. Admittedly, Hyde were reduced to ten men after ninety seconds and we took full advantage. A Cunnington hat-trick, two goals for Berry and two for Dunk made it 7-0 at half time. Berry added two more in the second half to take his tally to four and Elliot and Miller made it 11-0. A crazy scoreline.

View attachment 394217

View attachment 394216

The win secures us a place in this years play-offs. We can no longer win automatic promotion so all we can do now is continue our fine form for the rest of the season.

View attachment 394215

View attachment 394214

View attachment 394213

The win breaks many records.

View attachment 394212

Tom Champion will be suspended for our next two games.

View attachment 394211

Kidderminster secure a play-off spot. The final place will be either Grimsby or Braintree.

Skrill Premier

Lincoln 2-4 Cambridge United

Another excellent performance. Adam Cunnington scored the first and Ryan Donaldson doubled the lead. An own goal from Lloyd Macklin sent us in 3-0 up. Lincoln rallied late on scored through Adi Yussuf and Jake Sheridan but Ryan Donaldson had the final say to make it 4-2.

View attachment 394210

View attachment 394209

Woking are relegated.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-3 Chester

A disappointing defeat and we must now win our last game of the season, I don't want to go into the play-offs on the back of two defeats. Jamie Reed gave Chester the lead, Donaldson equalised before half time. Two second half goals from Tom Peers and John Rooney gave Chester the win.

View attachment 394208

View attachment 394207

Aldershot are relegated.

View attachment 394206

Grimsby are the final team to book their place in the play-offs.

View attachment 394205

Welling are relegated.

Skrill Premier

Gateshead 0-1 Cambridge United

Luke Berry was taken off injured in the first half which is a major worry. Apart from that, a decent way to round off the league fixtures. Adam Cunnington scored the only goal of the game, a penalty, in the first half.

View attachment 394204

Thankfully, Luke Berry is fine and will be available for the play-offs.

View attachment 394203

Luton win the league and confirm their place in the football league next season.

April Review

Not technically the end of the month but I want to separate the play-offs. A decent month has set us up well for the semi-final. The undoubted highlight being the 11-0 win v Hyde.

Player of the Month

Adam Cunnington. Adam continued the fine goalscoring form he's enjoyed all season.

Skrill Premier Play-Offs 2013/2014

View attachment 394202

We will face Kidderminster in the semi-final of the play-offs, the other tie is Grimsby v Barnet.

Skrill Premier Play-Off Semi Final First Leg

Cambridge United 2-1 Kidderminster

A decent win to carry into the second leg. Kidderminster showed today that they are a very decent team and we will have to be at our best to reach the final. First half goals from Tom Bonner and Luke Berry gave us the lead. Kidderminster replied in the second half through Marvin Johnson. Luke Berry was, again, taken off injured which is a major worry.

View attachment 394201

View attachment 394200

Luke Berry is ruled out for just over a week and will miss the second leg. A major blow to our chances.

Skrill Premier Play-Off Semi Final Second Leg

Kidderminster 2-0 Cambridge United

Huge disappointment as we lose on aggregate and are consigned to another year in the Skrill Premier. Kidderminster scored both their goals in the opening ten minutes. We had countless opportunities to score but just couldn't finish.

View attachment 394199

View attachment 394198

Following the defeat, Harrison Dunk requests a transfer.

View attachment 394197

Barnet beat Grimsby to set up a final clash with Kidderminster.

View attachment 394196

Barnet win promotion with a 2-1 final win against Kidderminster.

End of Season Review

Obviously our failure to win promotion makes this a disappointing season. We can look back on some very good performances and take encouragement into the next campaign. Our financial situation means incoming transfers will likely be few and far between but providing we can keep our best players, I'm confident we can push for the top spot.

View attachment 394195

Player of the Season

Adam Cunnington. It was hard to pick between him and Luke Berry. Both have played a key role in our successes. But Adam's contribution of 27 goals and 8 assists have been so vital.
Luke Berry. For similar reasons as Adam, Luke takes second spot. His total contribution has been 17 goals and 22 assists. I pray that we can keep him for next year.
Tom Bonner. Our defending was often poor this season but Tom's contribution of 11 goals from centre-back was the key reason he has been picked in third place.

Good story so far mate, unlucky in the playoffs. Hopefully you will go up next season. :D

2014/2015 Season

Pre-Season

View attachment 393658

Goalkeeper John Sullivan returns to Portsmouth after spending the season on loan with us. Unfortunately we were unable to negotiate an extension of his stay.

View attachment 393657

Josh Coulson joins Ebbsfleet for free.

View attachment 393656

The club announces a link with Fleetwood Town.

View attachment 393655

We announce eight friendly fixtures for our pre-season preparations.

The following players have all signed one year contract extensions:
Luke Berry, Adam Cunnington, Ryan Donaldson, Richard Tait, Greg Taylor, Ian Miller, Tom Champion, Ashley Chambers, Tom Bonner, Liam Hurst, Luke Allen, Kevin Roberts, Mitchell Austin, Bobby-Joe Taylor, Ryan Horne and Blaine Hudson.

View attachment 393654

The club announces a link with Notts County.

Pre-Season Friendly

Northampton 2-0 Cambridge United

Two first half goals consigned us to defeat in our first game of pre-season. I'm not too fussed as our overall performance against good opposition was encouraging. The club also profited financially from the game.

View attachment 393652

I am pleased to announce the signing of German Goalkeeper Fabian Spiess on loan from Notts County for the season.

Pre-Season Friendly

Mansfield 0-3 Cambridge United

An excellent win against Mansfield. Two second half goals for Ryan Donaldson and Liam Hughes made it 3.

Pre-Season Friendly

Derby 3-1 Cambridge

I expected a defeat today against a team like Derby but we certainly gave them a run for their money. The financial benefits for the club were much needed.

View attachment 393651

Brazil win the World Cup 2014 on home soil.

Pre-Season Friendly

Bradford 4-1 Cambridge United

We had other fitness priorities today and again the club have benefitted financially from playing a higher-profile club.

Pre-Season Friendly

Berkhamsted 1-3 Cambridge United

An expected win against lesser opposition. Cunnington, Hughes and Chambers with the goals.

View attachment 393649

Harrison Dunk's contract is terminated by mutual consent. The winger has been angling for a move for the past few months and it was best for everyone involved if he moved on. We are disappointed to lose a player of his talents but he was always heading out the door.

View attachment 393648

Tom Elliott has been ruled out for around 4 weeks.

Pre-Season Friendly

Boston United 1-3 Cambridge United

A good win to continue our preparations. Mitchell Austin seems to be out to prove a point following the departure of Harrison Dunk. Two goals and an assist today for the winger. He faces stiff competition this year from young Bobby-Joe Taylor.

Pre-Season Friendly

Maldon & Tiptree 1-4 Cambridge United

Another good performance as we near the start of the season. Two for Cunnington, and one each for Liam Hughes and Bobby Joe Taylor. Unfortunately Taylor and Chambers were taken off injured.

View attachment 393647

Bobby-Joe Taylor will miss the start of the season through injury.

Pre-Season Friendly

Chelmsford 0-4 Cambridge United

We wrap up pre-season with another excellent win. Two for Luke Berry and one each for Cunnington and Horne.

View attachment 393646

August 2014

Season Preview

Our targets this season are very simple, promotion. I don't fancy the play-offs again so I think we've got to go one better and win the league outright. We've retained the majority of our players who performed so well for much of last season and I think we've got it in us to do it this year. I was disappointed to lose Dunk and Sullivan. The latter was needed at his parent club but we've brought in an able replacement in Fabian Spiess. Dunk was an unfortunate situation and there was no way he was going to spend the season with us. Bobby-Joe Taylor has been promoted from the youth setup and could really make strides this season. Mitchell Austin has shown early signs that's he ready to step up to the plate this season. If we can cut out the occasional slump that thwarted last seasons progress then I've no doubt we'll be up there at the end of the season.

Key Players

Luke Berry. I was delighted to extend his contract for another year and I really feel he can take us forward this season.
Adam Cunnington. This man always scores and if we can keep him fit, he'll continue to do so this season, no doubt.
Tom Bonner. If he can improve his defensive work and continue popping up with important goals like he did last year, Tom will be hugely important to any successes.

View attachment 393643

View attachment 393641

The opening game of the season against Forest Green has been selected as a fan day.

View attachment 393640

Liam Hughes was on the periphery of the team last year and it seems he wants to leave, I won't stand in his way.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 0-1 Forest Green

A familiar story unfolded today as we battered Forest Green yet found ourselves on the end of a defeat. Not the start we had in mind. The only goal of the game was scored by Jason Walker in the first half.

View attachment 393638

Skrill Premier

Gateshead 1-2 Cambridge United

A decent response. Adam Cunnington got goals in each half and Matt Godden scored very late on for Gateshead. A step in the right direction although I know we can play much, much better.

View attachment 393636

View attachment 393635

View attachment 393634

Tom Elliott and Ashley Chambers return to full training.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 4-1 Braintree

A very good performance in front of our home fans. Two from Cunnington and one for Liam Hurst made it 3-0 at half time. Braintree pulled one back early in the second half but Cunnington made it 4-1 with his hat-trick goal soon after.

View attachment 393633

View attachment 393632

Liam Hughes joins Eastleigh for a fee of ?7.5k

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 1-0 Dartford

We played well but really struggled to find a way through Dartford's dogged defensive line. With twenty minutes left, Ryan Donaldson got the winner and we have to be thankful for all three points. Max Cornhill was sent off late on for Dartford.

View attachment 393631

Skrill Premier

Hayes & Yeading 0-5 Cambridge United

An excellent display against the newly promoted side. We were ahead after a minutes when Berry was brought down in the box, Cunnington converting the penalty. Cunnington then scored again ten minutes later. Berry added the third before half time. A Bobby-Joe Taylor cross was turned into his own net by Dean Inman and Cunnington got his hat-trick and our fifth towards the end of the game.

View attachment 393629

Skrill Premier

North Ferriby 2-1 Cambridge United

An extremely disappointing way to end the month against another newly promoted side. Billy Gibson gave the home side the lead but Luke Berry equalised for us before half time. Craig Baxter scored shortly after the break to make it 2-1. We had numerous chances to win the game but the overall quality of our finishing was poor.

View attachment 393627

View attachment 393626

View attachment 393625

August Review

A bad start and a bad finish to the month. Our results in the middle were excellent but we have to be disappointed with two defeats so far already. There's plenty to be encouraged about and I'm quite sure we will at least mount a promotion challenge this season.

Player of the Month

Adam Cunnington. He's picked up where he left off last season. Eight goals so far make him the joint top goalscorer in the division. The attacking duo of Cunnington and Berry has been devastatingly effective at times.

I'm sorry that you came up short in the playoffs, at least your squad can move forward now. Great idea to announce links with other teams, loans and income are essential due to the club's financial situation. Best of luck this season

Thanks buddy. I didn't expect to announce links with two clubs, the Fleetwood link was arranged whilst the board were still looking for another parent club. The Notts County link seems worthwhile as they have alot of fringe players that could add alot to our squad. Fleetwood, not so much.

September 2014

View attachment 392293

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-1 Hereford

A decent response to the previous defeat. Luke Berry gave us the lead after 20minutes but Danny Pilkington replied almost instantly for Hereford. The goalscorer then gave away a penalty but Adam Cunnington failed to convert. Shortly after half-time, Berry scored again with what turned out to be the winner.

View attachment 392292

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 3-1 Kidderminster

A small slice of revenge today after last years play-off defeat. We fell behind after two minutes through Marvin Johnson. To our credit, we were ahead five minutes later. Cunnington made up for last weeks penalty miss by converting this time. Mitchell Austin then made it 2-1. Tom Bonner scored a header and we comfortably held our lead for the rest of the game.

View attachment 392291

Skrill Premier

Lincoln 2-2 Cambridge United

A gritty draw but we can feel unfortunate not to have won. Ryan Donaldson fired us into the lead but Lincoln equalised almost immediately. Donaldson then made it 2-1 with half an hour to go and we looked to be heading for a super three points. With ten minutes left, Conner Robinson equalised for Lincoln.

View attachment 392289

Skrill Premier

Wrexham 0-0 Cambridge United

An even game overall and both sides had chances to nab the win. We didn't really play with the intensity I have become used to but it's been a physically challenging month so far.

View attachment 392287

Skrill Premier

Nuneaton 0-4 Cambridge United

A clinical performance today as a fairy even game ends in a 4-0 win for ourselves. Adam Cunnington got his tenth of the season to open the scoring. He then made it 2-0 before half time. Luke Berry scored a superb goal from the edge of the box and Bobby-Joe Taylor scored his first senior goal to wrap up the points.

View attachment 392286

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-0 Southport

A very important win against Southport who began the day just below us in 4th​ place. Luke Berry scored in the first half and Adam Cunnington in the second.

View attachment 392285

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 3-1 Exeter

A fantastic win! We began the day level on points at the top of the table, only in second because of goal difference. Adam Cunnington scored early to give us the lead but Liam Sercombe equalised before half time. With ten minutes left, Bobby-Joe Taylor fired us into the lead and Tom Bonner wrapped it up late on. Top of the league!

View attachment 392284

Skrill Premier

Tamworth 2-1 Cambridge United

A very poor result after such a good month. Thankfully we remain top of the table following Exeter's draw. Simon Johnson gave Tamworth the lead just before half time. We responded well and Tom Bonner got us a deserved equaliser. Liam Head scored towards the end to end our chances of an unbeaten month.

View attachment 392283

View attachment 392282

Luke Berry wins the Skrill Premier Player of the Month award.

View attachment 392281

View attachment 392280

September Review

An excellent month overall. We so nearly were unbeaten but I cannot complain. It's been a tiring month but the players have gone about their business superbly. I'm delighted to finish the month top of the table. The hard work is yet to come and our mid-season slump from last season is very much in my mind.

Player of the Month

Luke Berry. He has, as always, been at the heart of everything we do well in an attacking sense and picks up the goalscoring duties when Cunnington isn't. I've said it before but, I'm delighted he's with us for this season and hopefully many more to come. I feared losing him in the summer and he's continued to show why he's so important to us. Notable mention for Bobby-Joe Taylor who has come into the side in some high-pressure situations and performed magnificently.

October 2014

View attachment 392279

Not a great start to the month. Luke Berry has told me in private that he sees his future away from the club and that even promotion would not convince him to stay. We've been in this situation before so I'm hopeful of a resolution.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 2-0 York

A decent win got better when I saw Exeter only mustered up a draw. Luke Berry put our midweek conversation behind him to open the scoring with an incredible long range free-kick. Ashley Chambers got the second late on.

View attachment 392278

View attachment 392277

We have been drawn to play Tooting & Mitcham in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round.

Skrill Premier

Brackley 0-1 Cambridge United

Two goals in two games for Luke Berry as he got the only goal of the game in the first half. A slightly lacklustre display and Brackley will feel disappointed not get anything out of the game. I was quite relieved at the final whistle as we picked up another important three points.

View attachment 392276

Skrill Premier

Macclesfield 4-2 Cambridge United

Utterly awful. Our worst display of the season so far by a long, long way. Danny Whitaker scored the first goal for Macclesfield and two more for Emmanuel Dieseruvwe made it 3-0 at half time. Tom Bonner pulled one back but Curtis Thompson restored the three-goal margin. Ryan Donaldson scored late on but it was of little use.

View attachment 392275

FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round

Cambridge 2-0 Tooting & Mitcham

A comfortable victory against lower league opposition. An own goal from Dan Midwood and a second half strike from Tom Elliott were enough to see us through to the next round.

View attachment 392274

View attachment 392273

Ashley Chambers has been ruled out for just under a week.

View attachment 392272

We have been drawn away to League 2 Newport County in the FA Cup First Round.

Skrill Premier

Cambridge United 0-0 Alfreton

We had the chances to win today but just couldn't take them. Our overall performance was not good enough and our lead at the top is slowly diminishing. Must do better.

View attachment 392270

View attachment 392269

View attachment 392268

October Review

A fairy average month in terms of performances. I'm very happy to still be top of the league although we once held a six point advantage and it's disappointing to see us drop that. A fairly busy month in November begins with a testing trip to Newport County in the FA Cup.

Player of the Month

Luke Berry. I was fearful for his form when he came to me at the start of the month professing of his desire to move. He proved me wrong with some decent performances throughout and some excellent goals. Luke currently tops the league assists chart with nine.