mcfcmike7

Reaction score
Need a bit of help with my defending on this game. I've tried several different formations, mentalities, shapes, training methods but nothing seems to be working. Settled on this one tactic because it was okay going forward, scored 86 in my first season (Conceding 69), but now the goals have dried up and now I'm just conceding goals. Was wondering if anybody could help. I'll put the tactic below if that will be helpful. Thanks.

Formation
View attachment 696915

Player Roles/Mentality
View attachment 696916

Team Instructions
View attachment 696918

Fullbacks (Both the same)
View attachment 696919

Centerbacks (Both the same)
View attachment 696923

CDM
View attachment 696925

BTB Midfielder
View attachment 696928

AP
View attachment 696931

Inside Forward (Both the same)
View attachment 696934

Poacher
View attachment 696937

Training
View attachment 696938

ps. Sorry mods for posting this twice, wasn't sure where was best.

The match engine is broken. No matter what you do, you wont be able to defend. GK's are a joke, they score own goals and so on. CB's will never mark opponents. IMO the match engine is completly broken until the final version.

The match engine is broken. No matter what you do, you wont be able to defend. GK's are a joke, they score own goals and so on. CB's will never mark opponents. IMO the match engine is completly broken until the final version.

If it's as broken as you say how have I managed to keep 10 clean sheets whilst predominately using the attacking mentality? Are there issues with the ME sure, is it broken no.

This engine will at least 90% the final version -its you not the machine

When your own keeper scores 3 own goals in 5 games and your CB's are being caught up in posesion and concede goals every single game no matter what instructions you give them , trust me, it's broken. My goalkeepers cant retain a single ball. It doesnt matter if it's a long shot, a sort range shot, or any kind of shot (power - shots, slow - shots), my GK can never hold the ball. What he does, is punching into his own goal or to an opponent. This is just beyond retarded.

When your own keeper scores 3 own goals in 5 games and your CB's are being caught up in posesion and concede goals every single game no matter what instructions you give them , trust me, it's broken. My goalkeepers cant retain a single ball. It doesnt matter if it's a long shot, a sort range shot, or any kind of shot (power - shots, slow - shots), my GK can never hold the ball. What he does, is punching into his own goal or to an opponent. This is just beyond retarded.

If it was broken it would be the same for everyone, there is an issue with own goals that has been acknowledged already. If CB is getting caught in possession frequently then that is most likely is an issue on your end it happens to me rarely and I do play out from the back. But this issue happens IRL look at the arsenal Sunderland game so it is either a tactical issue or a personnel one. As for keepers my makes outstanding saves frequently and also catches the ball but this is probably situational to the chances that get created against you I would imagine.

Mate, what I've seen so far in this match engine ... it's hugely dissapointing. I know it's still a beta, but I've never experienced such a bad beta in FM editions so far. I am not the best FM player, but i am more than decent. I play it since 2010 and I have created some truly great tactics over the years. I also watch as much football as other people are doing enything else. I know what happens on a pitch IRL (like Arsenal - Sunderland), but those kind of stupid things happen against me almost every single game. I played on 2 saves (Sampdoria and AC Milan); GK's and CB's were just as bad in both saves against any kind of opposition. Diego Lopez is just as good as you or me would be in his place. Abiatti ... no words, he score 2 own goals in 2 consecutive games. Sergio Romero catched a ball, he had no pressure on him, he put the ball down to kick it and guess what: he scored an own goal .... if these things have a logical explanation, then please someone tell me what can i freakin do about it.

Mate, what I've seen so far in this match engine ... it's hugely dissapointing. I know it's still a beta, but I've never experienced such a bad beta in FM editions so far. I am not the best FM player, but i am more than decent. I play it since 2010 and I have created some truly great tactics over the years. I also watch as much football as other people are doing enything else. I know what happens on a pitch IRL (like Arsenal - Sunderland), but those kind of stupid things happen against me almost every single game. I played on 2 saves (Sampdoria and AC Milan); GK's and CB's were just as bad in both saves against any kind of opposition. Diego Lopez is just as good as you or me would be in his place. Abiatti ... no words, he score 2 own goals in 2 consecutive games. Sergio Romero catched a ball, he had no pressure on him, he put the ball down to kick it and guess what: he scored an own goal .... if these things have a logical explanation, then please someone tell me what can i freakin do about it.

Without seeing what you have witnessed and what preceded these events I cannot give you an insight, but what I can say if the ME was broken as you indeed claim then it would be broken for me and every other member of this site and there would be at least a 100 **** hurt **** SI their game is broken/scripted/**** etc etc. Now given that there isn't a shed load of these threads and that I also haven't witnessed these so called broken mechanics despite playing a season nearly then I would purely point the blame at either your tactic, personnel or just shear bad luck. Just either keep playing and see what happens or wait for a patch or launche as hopefully most issues will be fixed by then.

edit tbf the Romero sounds messed up that will defo be a bug you should post a report

Last edited:
I wanted to, but I've seen threads like this on SI Forums so I felt it's no need to further report. I also checked the option to send SI info from my game experience which I hope it helps. When your GK and CB do the things I said they do ... then how can I know if a tactic is good or not since I concede stupid goals from bugs and broken mechanics.

I wanted to, but I've seen threads like this on SI Forums so I felt it's no need to further report. I also checked the option to send SI info from my game experience which I hope it helps. When your GK and CB do the things I said they do ... then how can I know if a tactic is good or not since I concede stupid goals from bugs and broken mechanics.

Again it is not broken or it would be like this for everyone, I'll admit that personally I feel there is an issue with defending or pressing the second ball but I wouldn't call it game breaking. And you should really post the report your setup could be different from theirs which in itself be causing the problem

What's your secret?

From what I can see I have a pretty different setup to you, the main difference being that I have a nominated ball winner but also in the team instructions I push higher up but close down less thus retaining my shape but further up the pitch although I do have people nominated as 'pressers'. So in theory I guess I am more compact I am more compact further up the pitch with pacey defenders so the ball over the top is not so much an issue. I also play short passing so I keep the ball a lot so there is that too, I concede mainly last ten minute consolation goals when I have the game just about won. I'm no tactical genius btw but that is my theory behind it.

This is what i experience game by game. I will upload more videos on my channel about this great ME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuOVEH9__YY&feature=youtu.be

P.S This is not the worst case scenario that i experience every single game. Not even close. I made this video because it happened to me while I was posting here on the site.

I have encounted similar situations, though not as horrible as this. Defenders seemingly in control of the situation can suddenly go all apathetic and lethargic, and just stop running. Then it's easy for the attacker to sprint his *** off and reach the ball before the defender even though he started out 20m behind him. It's definitely a bug, it has to be.

ITS A BETA.

Honestly, its astounding. People moan that the game doesn't come out early enough, so SI kindly release a BETA to keep the window lickers at bay, it also doubles as a handy bug reporting system. And then people moan that this early release is broken/unfinished. mind. boggled.

IT IS NOT THE FINISHED GAME!!!! Make claims like 'the match engine is broken' when you've played the full release and encountered similar issues.

As said before, if it was broken, everyone would be experiencing the same.

From what I can see I have a pretty different setup to you, the main difference being that I have a nominated ball winner but also in the team instructions I push higher up but close down less thus retaining my shape but further up the pitch although I do have people nominated as 'pressers'. So in theory I guess I am more compact I am more compact further up the pitch with pacey defenders so the ball over the top is not so much an issue. I also play short passing so I keep the ball a lot so there is that too, I concede mainly last ten minute consolation goals when I have the game just about won. I'm no tactical genius btw but that is my theory behind it.
Alright, cool. I'll try and do that to my tactic. I've also taken off the pass it short instruction on my players because it's seems pointless with direct passing on as well.

ITS A BETA.

Honestly, its astounding. People moan that the game doesn't come out early enough, so SI kindly release a BETA to keep the window lickers at bay, it also doubles as a handy bug reporting system. And then people moan that this early release is broken/unfinished. mind. boggled.

IT IS NOT THE FINISHED GAME!!!! Make claims like 'the match engine is broken' when you've played the full release and encountered similar issues.

this is by no means aimed at sebastienro as he has said he is sending SI his info more a general observation and something that astounds me even more the majority of people who go on about broken ME usually A) don't do a bug report or B) fail to realise what the bug even is (see fullback bug in fm13)

Alright, cool. I'll try and do that to my tactic. I've also taken off the pass it short instruction on my players because it's seems pointless with direct passing on as well.

Yeah just try playing around but I would always advise having a ball winner or someone who breaks down the play of some sort, and also look at how you lose the ball and where and try to use it to your advantage if possible as we are seeing IRL the counter counter is getting ever more successful

ITS A BETA.

I aknowleged this is a BETA, i said that in a post in this thread. I dont moan and Im not a window licker. I just said what happened in my games. If you want more videos like the one I posted, then I will upload more until you realise the match engine is broken by more than 1 bug. The fact that it will be adjusted in the final release, it doesnt change the fact that RIGHT NOW it's BAD.

1. GK bug has already been noticed by hundreds of people on SI forums.
2. CB not making corect pressing has also been noticed aswell.
=> Defending is **** and if it is not for everyone, then maybe it's just a bug in random situations, but this happened to me in 2 saves already with 2 different teams and 2 different tactical setups. I name it BROKEN because it is not a random thing that happened once or twice, it happned almost every single match I played on these 2 saves. I also play as Milan, so I have good coaches and decent players that are not supposed to make those mistakes so often.