Capello names Squad for Switzerland qualifier

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
England vs Switzerland

Fabio Capello has named a 26-man squad to face Switzerland in a Euro 2012 qualifier at Wembley.

Bobby Zamora and Rio Ferdinand return to the squad for the first time in 2011, while there is also a recall for Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick.

Wayne Rooney is suspended for the qualifier with the Swiss, so Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe and Bobby Zamora are the forward options.

England squad in full
Scott Carson, Joe Hart, David Stockdale;

Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, John Terry, Kyle Walker;

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Stewart Downing, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, Ashley Young;

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Bobby Zamora.

BBC Sport - Fulham's Zamora and Stockdale named in England squad

Last edited:
Was just about to make this thread.
Andy Carroll and Wilshere were both left out of the Under-21 squad, but only Wilshere makes it into the senior side..

Striker positions are definitely up for grabs without Rooney there. Can see a Zamora-Bent partnership working, but reckon Crouch and Bent will get the nod.

Pleased for Zamora as i think he deserves it. Striker position will be intresting but i think it will be effective no matter the combanation.

Hoping for a Bobby/Bent partnership.

Were really lacking quality in the goalkeeping department at the moment seeing as Stockdale and Carson are #2 and #3 behind Hart at the moment.

SCOTT CARSON?!?!?!

How the **** has he managed to get in there?

Kyles still in <3

Glad to see Stockdale picked, he's a good young talent. However, I disagree with the inclusion of Barry and Crouch, I think Nolan/Henry and Carroll would be a better choice, especially as Carroll's young and talented (no bias there :P) and Nolan and Henry always give their all, unlike Barry.

Apparently Stockdale said he would've come if Fabio asked him. There's dedication for you!

sigh.....Gareth Barry. again. Well, at least Scottie Parkers going-more than damwell deserves it compared to Barry.

Can see Bent playing up top on his own, with Wilshere, lampard and Parker again in midfield. Downing probably deserves a start given his recent form, but it'll likely be Young and Walcott on the flanks. Pretty pleased with the squad generally, bar the inclusion of Lescott and Barry. Carrick has deserved his call up too.

I don't like the way we have included four out-and-out strikers when we should be playing a 4-3-3.

I'd like to see:

Hart
Walker - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole
Lampard - Parker - Wilshere
Walcott - Bent - Downing​

I don't like the way we have included four out-and-out strikers when we should be playing a 4-3-3.[/CENTER]

Who would you go for though? I can't think of anyone even remotely capable of filling the void left by Rooney, Sturridge perhaps?

WHy is Barry picked yet Beckham isn't? I mean, Beckham still didn't retire from international football right? :D

I don't like the way we have included four out-and-out strikers when we should be playing a 4-3-3.

I'd like to see:

Hart
Walker - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole
Lampard - Parker - Wilshere
Walcott - Bent - Downing​

i agree with this somewhat but id like to see AJ over walcott - call me biased but hey, who isnt :P

You wouldnt have ashley young over downing?? He deserves it from his last appearances

You wouldnt have ashley young over downing?? He deserves it from his last appearances

id say choosing between downing, young, AJ and walcott will be extremely hard.

Back