Capital Punishment or not?

Should Britain introduce the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

Nixon

Reaction score
With Raoul Moat being in the news, it made me think about Britain's current system for punishing criminals. I'm just interested to see people's views on capital punishment, and whether it should be introduced.

So feel free to debate the advantages and disadvantages of the death penalty, and if you think Britain should introduce it. Although please don't turn this thread into mindless arguing!

lol talk about contentious. yes it should be brought back, but for the most heinous of crimes, serial killers, child killers etc. not for things like unpremeditated murder

I think for crimes such as rape and sexual offences or offences towards children should have the death penalty.

Meh what happens when they kill someone who is actually innocent?

You hear of people who have been in jail for years, and are released after being proved innocent and given a shed load of compensation.

Pass on capital punishment. Yes to stricter sentencing and and tougher time in jail (lose the xbox's, televisions etc etc).

Of course not, no punishment should have a death penalty, human rights.

Yes, I believe it should be introduced for serial murderers, serial rapists, etc. Basically those who are repeat offenders for the most sickening of crimes we have laws for.

I don't think it is suitable for one-off offenders, and not because they don't deserve it, but because there are often mistakes when prosecuting people and many innocents are held accountable.

Surely you'd let them live so they can actually be properly punished, I'd rather be killed than spend life in prison if I was in that situation.

No I don't think it should be back, pretty much what Redders said.

This thread feels like a humanities lesson

Surely you'd let them live so they can actually be properly punished, I'd rather be killed than spend life in prison if I was in that situation.

I think you're under the impression that prison life is as it was a long time ago.

I know two people in prison who have access to games consoles.

If it is illegal for me to kill somebody then why should the state be able to do so? Also it is morally wrong to take anybodys life regardless of what they have done, I doubt maximum level security is a doddle and 30-40 years is a ******* long time so really I think it is a worse punishment than death. I know I'd rather die than spend the rest of my life with minimal human contact and nothing to do.

Also people are occasionaly wrongly convicted and therefore would be reasonlessly killed. Added to all those points where is the line drawn for capital punishment, once your in the leagues of life sentences most of the crimes are revoltingly inhumane.

Yes, it should be. For serious offences and killing(EVEN attempting to murder in some cases) people who fight or serve for our country.

they get 3 square meals in prison while some people struggle to get one on outside...

Here's two key studies for you

1. Derek Bentley
2.Moors Murders
:) lol

To be honest, those of you saying "Oh it wouldn't be much of a punishment if you just kill them." - I disagree, I think most people would be absolutely petrified by the thought of being put to death.

Also, who cares? Just get rid of them. Remove them from the face of the Earth and then people don't have to pay taxes to house them.

To be honest, those of you saying "Oh it wouldn't be much of a punishment if you just kill them." - I disagree, I think most people would be absolutely petrified by the thought of being put to death.

Also, who cares? Just get rid of them. Remove them from the face of the Earth and then people don't have to pay taxes to house them.

Would you be ok to kill somebody then, because somebody has to kill the people who are being put to death. How would we assign this job, would we let people sign up for it because what sort of people would activily pursue a job in which they kill people.

Also I just don't think it's ever right for the state to be able to decide who they can kill, it's far too much power for any governing body to have.

I think for crimes such as rape and sexual offences or offences towards children should have the death penalty.

Did you know that if a 15 year has *** with a 14 year old strictly speaking they are committing a sexual offence against a child. Should they also be killed?

Would you be ok to kill somebody then, because somebody has to kill the people who are being put to death. How would we assign this job, would we let people sign up for it because what sort of people would activily pursue a job in which they kill people.

Also I just don't think it's ever right for the state to be able to decide who they can kill, it's far too much power for any governing body to have.

People would take the job, as they do in America. Can't see that being much of an issue really.

I also disagree with your second point.

**** yes, our prisons are to crowded and more than likely if you offend when you do the time you may re-offend again, get rid ov people who kill/rape others. total waste ov space.