Capital Punishment or not?

Should Britain introduce the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters
Yes it should be brought back. With the advancement of DNA testing now it would be very difficult to convict the wrong person. I am fed up of my taxes being used into these criminals rehabilitation and when released they re-offend.

I think that are Child Killers or Serial Killers should be hanged,sexual offences and murder's should not be hanged but sent to Jail for a long,long Time

No. If we, as a society, have to resort to killing wrongdoers to make our point then there is something seriously wrong with all of us.

Yes.

Its not right that some people can take a human life, or many for that fact, and still be able to walk on this Earth.

Yes.

Its not right that some people can take a human life, or many for that fact, and still be able to walk on this Earth.

Right, so that makes it okay for us to take their life? In effect, we're making outselves no better than them.

Right, so that makes it okay for us to take their life? In effect, we're making outselves no better than them.

Its an arguement that will never end.

It just depends how you look at it, and I see it as someone taking lives, that still has the ability to be alive and get away with it, in a cell with most likely better facilities and furniture than what some people have outside of prison. Then again, i'm young and the more wise people will put foward a good arguement, i'm sure.

It's punishment for their wrong doings. If it were brought in to law, then they know the consequences. They have a choice. Do you think it's ok for someone to kill and get out of prison 10 years later? To possibly re-offend and cause the same trauma to others? I know it's you opinion, and repesct it.

One of the other members of the forum provided me with this link
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Ok its the cost of how much it takes to execute someone in the United States.

My feelings on this is that I would prefer my taxes to be spent on the execution of someone who has taken the life of someone rather than having them released after so called rehabilitation they are given and then to go and kill someone else who is innocent and cause more pain and suffering to other families.

That Family will then claim why was this offender released and then try to claim compensation from the authorities which in turn will cost probably about the same amount anyway that it would cost to execute someone thats with appeals going back and fourth.

Maybe the difference between us and the States is that their convicted fellons are treated a lot harsher than any of our prisoners. Peter Sutcliffe has long been given what he wants to help in his so called rehab over here where as in the states he would of been banged away in a maximum security tiny prison cell with an hours exercise a day. Maybe if we treated people more like that in prison in this country then my views might actually change on the death penalty.

Last edited:
I'm a huge believer of the whole 'eye for an eye' argument, and so when it comes to the question of Capital Punishment, I am all for it.

Not only is it effective for ridding the world of scum, but it is the biggest deterrent towards committing crimes.

If it can be proved 100% that it is a person then I agree with it although I do see the side of no one deserves to die so I think it should only be used in extreme cases. Child killers, serial killers etc.

I agree that it should be brought back and also when they are sentenced to death none of this waiting around for 15/20years like in America before it gets done. (One month tops)

Meh what happens when they kill someone who is actually innocent?

You hear of people who have been in jail for years, and are released after being proved innocent and given a shed load of compensation.

This was the exact point I was going to make so I voted no.

I don't think so. It would make us nearly as bad as him!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAz3gpqi7Rg"]YouTube- Capital Punishment Isn't the Answer 1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9snaUXJAY"]YouTube- Capital Punishment Isn't the Answer 2[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqawGQJme2w"]YouTube- Capital Punishment Isn't the Answer 3[/ame]

Now what would be interesting is how many of those people protesting against the death penalty outside San Quentin would change their minds if a loved one of theirs was to be brutally murdered in the same way that the guy killed his victims. I bet quite a few would then be for the death penalty.

Now what would be interesting is how many of those people protesting against the death penalty outside San Quentin would change their minds if a loved one of theirs was to be brutally murdered in the same way that the guy killed his victims. I bet quite a few would then be for the death penalty.
but wouldnt that be fuelled by anger rather than rational thinking? sounds more like vengeance rather than justice

My friend was killed in America the other day, all be it she was killed by a drink driver and it is certainly different. It does **** me off just because his family is rich he can post bail and be free but I know he will (hopefully) spend time in prison and have time to think about what he has done. With the right approach he can come out a better person and I know he has served his time and he has paid for what he has done.

I don't think the death penalty is answer, I agree with tougher sentences and not give the prisoners the privileges they have now.

I read this horrible article online a few days ago and haven’t been able to get it out of my mind.

The gist of the article is that two men were convicted of murder by arson many years ago. Subsequent inquiries into both cases determined that the methods used by the investigators of both ‘crimes’ were faulty, and that the very evidence used to exonerate one man on death row was the same used to condemn the other.

The report [complied by a panel of private arson investigators and released in Austin, TX] says that prosecution witnesses in both cases interpreted fire indicators like cracked glass and burn marks as evidence that the fires had been set, when more up-to-date technology shows that the indicators could just as well have signified an accidental fire. In one case, the signs were accepted as proof of guilt, the report said; in the other, they were discarded as misleading.

One man on death row was recently exonerated and pardoned based on this faulty evidence and was paid $430,000 by the state as compensation for wrongful imprisonment. The other condemned man didn’t fare as well. He was put to death by lethal injection on Feb. 17, 2004 after appeals to everyone imaginable had failed.

In what has to be one of the great understatements of all time, on learning of the report of his innocence, the executed man’s stepmother said:

“I’ve known it all along. I wish it could have happened before he was executed.”

Because the time from condemnation until the actual execution takes so many years, I don’t believe the death penalty has much deterrent value. And, just as I know there are innocent people in prison, I know there have got to be innocent people on death row. Some of these innocent people have been executed as will be innocent people in the future. If it is determined that an innocent person has been imprisoned, then that person can be released and compensated in some small measure by the state for his years of incarceration. There is no compensation for the executed, no matter how unjustly they were condemned.

but wouldnt that be fuelled by anger rather than rational thinking? sounds more like vengeance rather than justice

Thats true and it answers my question that if they are against it now and then something did happen to a relative of theirs a few would change their minds about it because it has happened to someone they CARE for. At the time they are protesting for someone who they dont know not to be executed and probably never even met and do not realise how evil this guy is. If it has touched them personally then a few of their attitudes would change.