Capital Punishment or not?

Should Britain introduce the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters
Yeah sure, the ones who don't truly believe in what they are standing for are likely to change their minds.

Thats true and it answers my question that if they are against it now and then something did happen to a relative of theirs a few would change their minds about it because it has happened to someone they CARE for. At the time they are protesting for someone who they dont know not to be executed and probably never even met and do not realise how evil this guy is. If it has touched them personally then a few of their attitudes would change.

And your point is?

Besides sounding thick of course.

Thats true and it answers my question that if they are against it now and then something did happen to a relative of theirs a few would change their minds about it because it has happened to someone they CARE for. At the time they are protesting for someone who they dont know not to be executed and probably never even met and do not realise how evil this guy is. If it has touched them personally then a few of their attitudes would change.
my point is that vengeance isnt the answer, its not the same as justice. i gotta say say the more we debate this, the more it makes me step away from capital punishment.

If anyone read my post a bit ago, you will see how brutally inhumane capital punishment is and for any believers in the penalty all i need to say is watch the film "Let 'Em Have It".

And your point is?

Besides sounding thick of course.

Does not make me sound thick at all. If someone took the life of someone you cared for then your outlook would be different. Thats what I am saying. If you could not understand with what I posted then who is the thick one.

It's punishment for their wrong doings. If it were brought in to law, then they know the consequences. They have a choice. Do you think it's ok for someone to kill and get out of prison 10 years later? To possibly re-offend and cause the same trauma to others? I know it's you opinion, and repesct it.

And what makes you think a death sentence is any worse than most of their life in prison?

There is such a thing as rehabilitation, you know. Some people are incurable - they're just psychopaths. The vast majority of cases, however, are crimes of passion, and passion is fleeting. Most murderers are truly remorseful for what they've done, and the media (being the media) only pick up on the small percentage that reoffend.

And what makes you think a death sentence is any worse than most of their life in prison?

There is such a thing as rehabilitation, you know. Some people are incurable - they're just psychopaths. The vast majority of cases, however, are crimes of passion, and passion is fleeting. Most murderers are truly remorseful for what they've done, and the media (being the media) only pick up on the small percentage that reoffend.

Over sixty percent of people sent to prison reoffend. Thats not a small percentage at all.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article778681.ece

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-as-the-prison-population-expands-872411.html

How does rehabilitation work if the above links are true?

Last edited:
Over sixty percent of people sent to prison reoffend. Thats not a small percentage at all.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article778681.ece

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-as-the-prison-population-expands-872411.html

How does rehabilitation work if the above links are true?

Link aint workin for me ? And not all of the crimes in Britain are big enough to be sent to prison. Maybe once people leave prison, they feel as though they have nothing to live for, and I'd like to see the percentage of criminals who re-offend.

This is the what is quoted at the bottom of one of the links.

Reconviction rates
Community rehabilitation order: 62.6%
Drug treatment and testing order: 88.9%
Community punishment order: 38.9%
Community punishment and rehabilitation order: 54.4%
Prison: 67.4%

To be honest now no matter what this country comes up with to deal with the criminals of this world there will be a split with whoever decides what is best for them. Wether we bring back the death penalty or let them rot in prison for the rest of their lives there will always be someone for or against the idea of both ideas.

Last edited:
Those figures have nothing to do with murderers/rapists/etc.. They are for the minor offenders.

Those figures have nothing to do with murderers/rapists/etc.. They are for the minor offenders.

They were quoted as one of the other members believed in rehab works. He also said the psycopaths in this world have no remorse with what they have done so I cant understand how rehab would work for them either if it does not work for people who have commited minor offences.

If they released Peter Sutcliffe or any other serial killer and the authorities said he is safe and fit to re-enter the public because they had rehab and they moved him next door to you would you feel happy and safe about it? I know I would not.

Last edited:
He didn't say rehab would work for the psycopaths, which he actually said are incurable.

Your figures even prove that rehab does work. 40% of the time!

If they released Peter Sutcliffe or any other serial killer and the authorities said he is safe and fit to re-enter the public because they had rehab and they moved him next door to you would you feel happy and safe about it? I know I would not.

/facepalm

Last edited:
He didn't say rehab would work for the psycopaths, which he actually said are incurable.

Your figures even prove that rehab does work. 40% of the time!

Which to me is a low percentage so no it does not work as it below half. A high percentage would be up about 80%

Those that are for and against something are always going to disagree as that human nature of us all. I would still like to see the death penalty come back unless their is another way which there is not at the moment of keeping the human public safe from the killers that can freely roam our streets.

Last edited:
An even higher percentage would be 85%!!!!!

40% is a pretty impressive amount if you ask me.

An even higher percentage would be 85%!!!!!

40% is a pretty impressive amount if you ask me.

Fair enough Lee we could debate that all day mate.

So, we need to improve our rehabilitation programmes, then.

Killing people is about as barbaric and primitive a solution as you can get. I'd personally like to think we've moved on from such "fair" but outdated rules as an eye for an eye.

Against the death penalty, even with advances in DNA as evidence and other things it only takes 1 wrongful conviction to bring into question the entire capital punishment system.

Prison should be like way back when, live on bread and water, no TV, no internet no nothing, bring in stronger sentencing as well, a LIFE sentence should be for LIFE, not 20/30 years.

Rape - Castration by spoon.
Criminals beyond rehabilitation - Death by spoon.

In Norway we've sent axemurders through rehabilitation, and they've become fantastic lumberjacks!

I think for the repeat offenders of the worset crimes, people who they don't think will be able to change, then maybe they should be killed.

I don't see it happening tho.

To be honest tho, I don't really mind what they do with people who have commited crimes, aslong as they don't end up sitting next to me at football stealing my balti pie! :(