Carling Nations Cup 2011

pistolped7

Reaction score
It's been five years in the making and it's finally here. The Carling Nations Cup (or the Celtic Cup) begins on the 8th of February and features host nation Rep. of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. All games will be played in the Aviva Stadium in Dublin and it kicks off with Rep. Ireland vs Wales.

Full fixture list:

8/2/2011 - Republic of Ireland vs. Wales
9/2/2011 - Northern Ireland vs. Scotland

24/5/2011 - N. Ireland vs. Rep. Ireland
25/5/2011 - Wales vs. Scotland

27/5/2011 - Wales vs. Northern Ireland
29/5/2011 - Scotland vs. Rep. Ireland

The tournament will work as a round-robin format; the table topper after three games is the winner.

The 2013 tournament will be hosted in Wales.

They didn't want to enter due to potential problems with fixture congestion.

its gonna be wierd seeing Ireland as favourites for a tournament.

Its a good idea, some exciting meaningful international matches outside the major tournaments with the "local" rivalry.

Its a good idea, some exciting meaningful international matches outside the major tournaments with the "local" rivalry.

Eaxctly. Looking forward to some home-nations games! Hopefulkly we'll do better against Wales than we have done before, considering we lost 4-0 then 3-0.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

its the only cup them teams can win

...England don't seem to have much of a chance in competitions, seeing as it has been 45 years since they won anything of note. It really annoys me when people say things like that.

im a bit annoyed england arnt taking part, if everyone else is why dont we :( booooooo.

im a bit annoyed england arnt taking part, if everyone else is why dont we :( booooooo.

They said they might in future. Some noises are being made about them competing in 2013, to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the FA coming about, or something like that. :S

...England don't seem to have much of a chance in competitions, seeing as it has been 45 years since they won anything of note. It really annoys me when people say things like that.

Don't start the England vs the rest debate...

we all know how it is, we are obviously the most likely country to go for major competitions, the only one that pretty much always qualifies, so realistically this tournament "should" not be worthwhile for us. Im not saying we would win it, but any honest fan would agree.

Really looking forward to this though, some cracking matches!

well thats something at least, but i just dont see why we didnt join for this year, even if the top stars dont want to play or something, im sure fringe players like darren bent and youngsters like wilshere would have jumped at the chance? i dunno, just seems a bit of a kop out if all the other nations can do it, and we are 'supposed' to be the strongest footballing nation from the 5 :(

Looking forward to Ireland - Wales hopefully trap gives a few younger players a chance. To name few Seamus Coleman, James McCarthy.

Don't start the England vs the rest debate...

we all know how it is, we are obviously the most likely country to go for major competitions, the only one that pretty much always qualifies, so realistically this tournament "should" not be worthwhile for us. Im not saying we would win it, but any honest fan would agree.

Really looking forward to this though, some cracking matches!
I know, I'm not, but it ****** me off when the smaller British nations get slagged off like that. Just because England are a better footballing nation shouldn't give them the right to sully our efforts and opinions as many do. But never mind, should be a good wee tournament. Strange that they start it this week and the second game isn't until May. :S

well thats something at least, but i just dont see why we didnt join for this year, even if the top stars dont want to play or something, im sure fringe players like darren bent and youngsters like wilshere would have jumped at the chance? i dunno, just seems a bit of a kop out if all the other nations can do it, and we are 'supposed' to be the strongest footballing nation from the 5 :(
I know, but the FA thought that fixture congestion would be a problem. In a way, I'm also a bit disappointed that England aren't in it. Miss Scotland vs. England games, and it would be funny to see English-born Kris Commons rape the English defence :p

Who does everybody think will win. Looking for opinions from the English as obviously people from the countries involved would be bias, Myself included

I know, I'm not, but it ****** me off when the smaller British nations get slagged off like that. Just because England are a better footballing nation shouldn't give them the right to sully our efforts and opinions as many do.

Let me hi-light fact that Republic of Ireland is not a British nation.
But i agree with your point about England slagging us smaller countries off even when they havnt won anything since 66.

But back on topic im looking forward to it as there not realy friendlies and will be nice to see the teams give youngsters some experience.

Also the door has been left open for England to participate in future.

Have tickets for the game next week looking forward to it think we will win it scrapping away to 2 wins and a draw but it be nice to win a trophy and will hopefully give us more confidence which will spur is on to qualify for Euro 2012, Oh how I love are beautiful country.

I haven't watched a Scotland, Republic of Ireland, Wales or N. Ireland game in a long time, so I can't accurately predict who I think will win based off ability and form. However, I have a feeling that Scotland will take this competition.

Let me hi-light fact that Republic of Ireland is not a British nation.
But i agree with your point about England slagging us smaller countries off even when they havnt won anything since 66.

But back on topic im looking forward to it as there not realy friendlies and will be nice to see the teams give youngsters some experience.

Also the door has been left open for England to participate in future.

I know they aren't British, but I mean in terms of the home nations and such.

Hope England do join for the next one. :)