Carragher to focus on Liverpool

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 74
  • Views Views 3K

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Defender Jamie Carragher describes his return to international football as a "one-off" and says he plans to focus his energies on his club side Liverpool.

More...

he is a **** defender now he should retire from liverpool too he has lost his legs

Last edited:
nice to know he sees playing for his country a 'one off' lol

**** defender should retire from liverpool too he has lost his legs

His pace is deceptive. He's a slower than he looks.

(Bill Shankly on Roy Evans)

In fairness, at times last season he was outstanding (vs Spurs at Anfield was a great example), but he does seem to have peaked and should probably be heading towards a squad role at Liverpool. Not that he will of course.

nice to know he sees playing for his country a 'one off' lol
it was always a one off, to be fair. besdies if he had decided to say, chanes of him being were dropped anyway were fairly high, still came and did a decent job

Though it wasn't his fault he got offered a place back in the squad he should never have gone to the World Cup imo. I know he's got experience, but what's experience if you play in the HEART of central defence and your top speed is... about as fast as my granny. There's a reason he got booked twice in the two games he played -- too slow to make a proper challenge for the ball, which forces him into 'taking one for the team.' How Capello ever thought a Carragher / Terry (not exactly a speed merchant himself) partnership could work when flanked by Cole and Johnson (good players, but they like to raid the flanks leaving their CBs to fend for themselves quite often) is beyond me.

Though it wasn't his fault he got offered a place back in the squad he should never have gone to the World Cup imo. I know he's got experience, but what's experience if you play in the HEART of central defence and your top speed is... about as fast as my granny. There's a reason he got booked twice in the two games he played -- too slow to make a proper challenge for the ball, which forces him into 'taking one for the team.' How Capello ever thought a Carragher / Terry (not exactly a speed merchant himself) partnership could work when flanked by Cole and Johnson (good players, but they like to raid the flanks leaving their CBs to fend for themselves quite often) is beyond me.

Ferdinand injured, King injured, Woodgate injured, Dawson unconvincing even at league level, Upson lacking pace and positional sense. Shortage of quality options. In the absence of Ferdinand, Woodgate and King, an absolute shortage of central defenders with any quality on the ball.

True about Carra and getting booked. But then you could argue that he neither he, Terry or Upson should be exposed like that by the midfield. But if Frank Lampard doesn't want to track back and would rather throw his arms up in the middle of the pitch and whine, what can you do?

Ferdinand injured, King injured, Woodgate injured, Dawson unconvincing even at league level, Upson lacking pace and positional sense. Shortage of quality options. In the absence of Ferdinand, Woodgate and King, an absolute shortage of central defenders with any quality on the ball.

True about Carra and getting booked. But then you could argue that he neither he, Terry or Upson should be exposed like that by the midfield. But if Frank Lampard doesn't want to track back and would rather throw his arms up in the middle of the pitch and whine, what can you do?
speaking of defender, can you or anyone name any young upcoming english defender thats good on the ball?

speaking of defender, can you or anyone name any young upcoming english defender thats good on the ball?

that young jones at blackburn pretty good. mancienne is pretty decent but not world class.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

Chris Smalling... Haven't seen much of him but i hear hes a lot like rio..

he had a few good games and then when utd signed him it looked like the pressure got to him and he started making lots ov mistakes.

he had a few good games and then when utd signed him it looked like the pressure got to him and he started making lots ov mistakes.

Really.. Like i said i haven't seen much of him.. Wasn't he playing Non-league like a year ago? Think its a bit ridiculous how a player can go from Non-League to a £10 million transfer to the biggest club in the world in a year...

Really.. Like i said i haven't seen much of him.. Wasn't he playing Non-league like a year ago? Think its a bit ridiculous how a player can go from Non-League to a £10 million transfer to the biggest club in the world in a year...

yer i agree mate, i think its happend to quick for him personly.

Don't know why everyone except Liverpool supporter's hate Carra and say he is *****. He weren't bad for England and was very good for Liverpool AGAIN last season. He might be knocking on a bit now and soon he will decline but he is still a good defender.

Rodwell looked ideal but Moyes has shifted him into midfield. Problem with decent players on the ball - they get shunted into midfield. Kind of looks like the same sort of problem which you used to see with right backs often being the worst players on the pitch - if they were good at attacking, they'd be moved into midfield, if they were tall enough and good enough at defending, they'd be playing at centre back. Left backs on the other hand are more likely to be wingers converted into full backs and so the seeming abundance of attacking left backs. Think it was someone like Bilic who wrote a piece for coaches about this problem a few years back (could be wrong about Bilic and bit busy to check for a link).

Don't know why everyone except Liverpool supporter's hate Carra and say he is *****. He weren't bad for England and was very good for Liverpool AGAIN last season. He might be knocking on a bit now and soon he will decline but he is still a good defender.

I don't hate Carragher and I don't think he's *****, but I do think he's not the player he once was and he was always going to be in trouble playing alongside Terry.

I don't hate Carragher and I don't think he's *****, but I do think he's not the player he once was and he was always going to be in trouble playing alongside Terry.

With Rio out England always had problems defensively, Upson having a poor season and being a left-sided defender, King never really was fully fit, Carragher was probably the best option and when he did play he wasn't that bad. To be fair he is not the defender he was a couple of seasons ago but on a couple of threads I have seen people saying he is ***** or whatever, I don't agree.

Shawcross not an up and comer at 22? Surely he gets first crack over Smalling. Sure he's not awesome on the ball but he's at least proven

Back