Carragher to focus on Liverpool

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 74
  • Views Views 3K
Shawcross not an up and comer at 22? Surely he gets first crack over Smalling. Sure he's not awesome on the ball but he's at least proven

Looking at players who are comfortable enough to bring the ball out of defence mate. Shawcross could develop into an excellent defender. Stoke's style of play doesn't really provide much opportunity to showcase that kind of ability so he might have something - certainly Capello (and a number of other managers) clearly rate him, so he might be due a chance to shine if he has got that kind of ability or he might just be the next generation of the 'stopper' and be the natural replacement for someone like Carra or Terry.

Think of Baresi, or Pique, or Marquez, or Hansen - that's the kind of player I'm talking about when meaning comfortable on the ball.

True about Carra and getting booked. But then you could argue that he neither he, Terry or Upson should be exposed like that by the midfield. But if Frank Lampard doesn't want to track back and would rather throw his arms up in the middle of the pitch and whine, what can you do?

No matter what my personal feelings are regarding Carragher and the England squad I have to agree with you on this point. Perhaps, if he hadn't played in such a shambolic team his lack of pace wouldn't have been such a problem and his defensive skills would have shone through. I think there's a lot of surgery needed to this team in the coming months (either replacing players for the future or cracking down on the obvious divisions and egos in there.)

It's time to pick a team, not continue to fit square pegs into round holes. For instance, if Gerrard's in the team then play him in his best, most effective position and make use of his obvious talents, rather than hinder his play.

I just hope Capello sticks to his word this time around.

Oh jesus that still makes me feel queasy. But still he is a good defender

Untitled1.jpg

**** sake Calum, we don't need reminding of that. Shawcross clearly never meant it and just looking at images like that make me feel sick.

True about Carra and getting booked. But then you could argue that he neither he, Terry or Upson should be exposed like that by the midfield. But if Frank Lampard doesn't want to track back and would rather throw his arms up in the middle of the pitch and whine, what can you do?

You can be blaming Lampard for not doing Barrys Job can you? When he got booked against the USA i do beileve it was a quick break, then JOzy did hm for Pace? so you cant expect an Attacking Minded Midfielder to be back quick enough to stop the counter attack surely?

On topic

Carragher is on a downward spiral,he should more concentrate on an coaching career then a playing career. He will be at squad player ablity this year and then at back up after that, Dont go on too long Jamie, dont tarnish that legacy the pool fans have of you.

Chris Smalling? Most over-rated young player I've ever seen, Jay Spearing is on the same level as him.

You can be blaming Lampard for not doing Barrys Job can you? When he got booked against the USA i do beileve it was a quick break, then JOzy did hm for Pace? so you cant expect an Attacking Minded Midfielder to be back quick enough to stop the counter attack surely?

Square pegs in round holes etc. etc. But Lampard doesn't track back sufficiently well. If you get chance, review the England vs Egypt match and then notice the difference when Carrick comes on for Lampard.

I dunno why he would describe playing for his countrey like that first this then ashley cole says he hates england our teams falling apart :'(

What, Dawson was immense for spurs last season, i think we had the best defensive home record as well :S

So immense that Capello persuaded Carragher to come out of retirement rather than select Dawson for the initial 23 man squad? That's on the back of his best ever season apparantly. I'll stick to my judgement of him - decent defender of the classic English stopper mould but nothing special even now. I know he's a bit of a cult hero for you Spuds, but I'm just saying what I've seen of him. If he were better than he is, I'd be sure to give him credit (like I do for King and Woodgate).

Gary Cahill?
not seen enough of cahill on the ball. the lack of ball playing defenders is startling. we all saw what happenis when england dont have a player in the mould of rio at centreback

Carragher is and will always be a Liverpool great. His loyalty is beyond question, he hasn't got his pace anymore, but to be fair, that has never been his strong point. He is a classic English defender, and is the only Liverpool player I wolud place all of my trust into. It annoys me that a lot of people say he isn't very good, because he just goes under the radar.

he is a **** defender now he should retire from liverpool too he has lost his legs
Go back to making **** threads, posting isn't your strong point.

Carragher is and will always be a Liverpool great. His loyalty is beyond question, he hasn't got his pace anymore, but to be fair, that has never been his strong point. He is a classic English defender, and is the only Liverpool player I wolud place all of my trust into. It annoys me that a lot of people say he isn't very good, because he just goes under the radar.

Go back to making **** threads, posting isn't your strong point.
that is just it. most of our defender are "classic english defenders". wher are the ones who are actually any good on the ball?

I can think of three -- King, Woodgate and Ferdinand -- unfortunately, they're aging and extremely injury prone :(

I can think of three -- King, Woodgate and Ferdinand -- unfortunately, they're aging and extremely injury prone :(
thats just it... there doesnt seem to be any coming through. as zeb said, if a defender shows any sort of skill of composure on the ball they end up in midfield. sad times

He is still a pretty decent player who will now probably start declining,but I dont really know if he should have been picked for England in the WC.......

thats just it... there doesnt seem to be any coming through. as zeb said, if a defender shows any sort of skill of composure on the ball they end up in midfield. sad times

Yeah, I've been racking my brains trying to think of up-and-coming ball playing defenders since it was mentioned last night and I've come up with no-one so far... Smalling is supposed to be really good -- be interesting to see how he gets on at United.

Yeah, I've been racking my brains trying to think of up-and-coming ball playing defenders since it was mentioned last night and I've come up with no-one so far... Smalling is supposed to be really good -- be interesting to see how he gets on at United.
yeah. re: smalling, it was obvious that the pressure around moving to united affected him. hopefully he'll develop better out of the limelight a little

Back