Celtic And Rangers, Catholic Protestant Issue

It works both ways mate,a guy I worked with for 10 years came in one day and said that he had to break it off with his new girlfriend because his mother wouldn't let her in the house cos she was Protestant!

Wasn't implying it didn't :)

Aye, it's pretty sad. It's a 3rd world type of mentality.

I'm a Scottish protestant who lives in England, I support Rangers and don't consider myself sectarian in any way however I have a strong passion and hatred for Celtic and people in Celtic shirts. Fortunatly I am able to rise above it (thanks to having a friend who supports Celtic) and mute these feelings into lively banter however I know many who can't do this.

It's sad because Scotland has two great clubs and we should be proud of them both. Without Celtic, Rangers are nothing and vice versa.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1172099959372267051#

Explains most of what your asking. I'd say the 2 guys in this would represent 75% of the support today. Very complex issue and most English and Irish people won't understand it. I'm a Protestant Rangers fan but I would still be friends with a Catholic, this is the same for most people.

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:51 PM ----------

i live in scotland, about 40 minutes from glasgow, and everywhere in scotland i covered in rangers and celtic fans, where i live its friendly batner but over glasgow way it gets more rough,

Neil Lennon, a celtic legend and now manager is a Protestant, thats why he got death threats and was hospitalized before, this was done by Rangers fans as they seen him as a Traitor.

stupid really,
Neil Lennon is most definatly not a Protestant. He recieved death threats due to him be appointed captain of Northern Ireland (99% protestant support) and due to this he retired from International football. Most NI supporters actually wanted him to play for them, but a minority ruined it by threatening to kill him.

People say if ur a catholic u support celtic and if ur a protestant you support rangers. In northern ireland this is 99% true. (im frm belfast and a celtic supporter). The rivalry goes much deeper than city rivalry. Celtic were set up 2 help poor irish catholics who had immigrated to glasgow after the famine - WHICH is why WE wear the emblem of the famine on our jerseys- its part of our history, just like the rangers wear the poppy on their tops.
I have 2 say tho that the work the 2 clubs are doin 2 stamp out sectarianism has 2 be commended but it will never go away. I for 1 am Sectarian and and this has nothing 2 do with football but with the history of my country- IRELAND.

Sectarianism, according to one definition, is bigotry, discrimination or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion or factions of a political movement.

so you honestly believe in that?

Im a Irish Catholic from Dublin and I have never ever seeing someone from Republic of Ireland support Rangers, I personally dont follow Celtic as I think Scottish football is rubbish, But on my holiday to Puerto Rico last month their was a Rangers pub saying no Irish allowed and they all looked like dodgy people in the place

Northen Ireland's problems have spilled onto Scottish soil, we'll never erase sectarianism from Scotland. Too many cowards enjoy it, however theres nothing wrong with the odd bit of banter on old firm day :), but singing about things like the IRA & Famine, well all i can say is i hope your caught and prosecuted. Even though i beleive Ireland should be the one country which isn't under UK rule

No human being deserves to die because the colour of a football scarf or top.

Last edited:
end of the day the sad thing is, its christians fighting christians and whites fighting whites over a GAME!!

I know lots of catholics that are rangers fans but coming to think of it i only know a few protestants that are celtic fans :S