Celtic And Rangers, Catholic Protestant Issue

Organised religion is one of the greatest banes of society/life, and it's a shame that these people who impose it on almost everything also impose it onto football.

I dont know why Celtic and Rangers fans bring religion into a football match/rivalry though, I really dont understand it, I dont think I've seen/heard of any other teams doing it before.
almost all the major football rivalries in the world has to do with religion or political views . the hamburg rivalry is identical to the old firm . the feynoord and ajax rivalry , barca madrid derby

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

where abouts in scotland are u from Neall ?

Ok folks been off this for a while because my laptops gubbed but occasionally get time to go elsewhere and rant!
The religeous conflict will ALWAYS be there between the old firm as long as ignorant and small minded people have kids and bring them up hating another person due to their religon and team they support,that is where the root of the problem comes from,a lot of these people have no idea why they hate protestants/catholics because they are uneducated and do not understand what caused the division in the 1st place,they express themselves through football as its easier to do so and get away with unashamed bigotry,if they abused a person racially in the street they would be charged with an offence!

I class myself as an atheist so have no alliagance to any religon whatsoever but having grown up watching Rangers during the 9 in a row era thats how i came about to being a Gers supporter,people shouldn't let religon get in the way of supporting a team they like but unfortunately this disease will always be around during most people on this threads lifetimes!

Sorry for my rantings if anyone gets a sore head having to read/decipher this post but this how decent old firm fans feel!

Yeah it's used as a joke for people I know. My mates dad isn't catholic and always says "come on rangers" to us when they play. We don't think about it too much..

hi, am new to this but im from northern ireland and i support rangers, i hate the way people go on walking round ther celtic tops n rangers tops and they cudnt even name a celtic or rangers player, they go on as if they are hardcore protestants and catholics because they walk round in the tops, it sickens me. im a big fan but if a had the chance to sign for celtic i wud, i wud get some abuse for this beacause im meant to be protestant...etc

Well born and raised in Glasgow, I'm a Celtic fan and Celtic fan only, but I hate this bigotary and secterianism.

I hate the King Billy thing and I also hate when celtic fans sing Boys of the Old Brigade, it's nothing to do with football...

as an outsider i just laugh at the situation. ITS FOOTBALL NOT RELIGION!!!! i have a few friends that support spurs and yer i call them yids but its friendly banter they dont take it personly. its just a poor excuse to use religion to hate someone in what religion does it say start wars with people who dont follow your religion??? please someone enlighten me.

as an outsider i just laugh at the situation. ITS FOOTBALL NOT RELIGION!!!! i have a few friends that support spurs and yer i call them yids but its friendly banter they dont take it personly. its just a poor excuse to use religion to hate someone in what religion does it say start wars with people who dont follow your religion??? please someone enlighten me.

The whole Yid thing started when rival clubs tried to start trouble. Spurs fans turned this around and took it as a badge of honour and defused the situation. Hence the chants Yid Army being shouted around the ground.

Its the so called fans that are small minded that teach the younger fans that race hate/religious hate is correct in the modern world. Football is sport and should not be entertaining any race or religious aggravation.

To be honest, nowadays Rangers and Celtic fans will just use religion as an excuse to cause trouble. Alot of them won't even understand how it all originates although I think things have got alot better over the last few years but there will always be that small minority that simply just care about causing a stir and starting a fight. I'm more of an atheist but I personally think that every religion is more or less the same thing but with a different name and it's a shame that people can't see that because of their blindness towards any religion that isn't their own. By the way I am not having a go anyones beliefs, that is just my own opinion and I have no problem with anyone that thinks differently to me

I'm a catholic but thats unimportant:IT IS JUST RELIGIOUS BELIEF
Hibs are my favorite scottish team and the reason is that in the old firm is too religion based
I dont really care who is protestant and who is catholic
Thats just child play...both Celtic and Rangers have their faults,but so do any club

Religious extremism is an anachronism in the liberal & largely secular UK. It is both puzzling & disturbing in equal measure & should not be a part of modern society in any form. It's 2010 not 1690 for goodness sake. All bigots are idiots - end of.

I think it's more a case of the true Irish versus the English-Irish (and the terrible history that they have shared with one another), rather than a simple Catholic versus Protestant issue. Celtic drew (traditionally) major support from the Irish (hence the tri-colour being on display), whereas Rangers drew support from English-Irish and Britain (hence the Ulster and Union Flag often being waved in the crowd.)

The winner of this match (in some peoples eyes) gives the above mentioned section of supporters the chance to boast about their superiority.

Some of these people will have past issues banged into their heads from a very early age (not everyone, but some people) and this is why the hate continues to this day.

Add to that the odd brain-dead idiot who is at the match purely for a scrap and you've got a **** of a dangerous mix.

It is up to us, as the next generation of fathers and mothers, to try and stop this hate being bred -- not just in the above mentioned scenarios, but in life in general. Unfortunately, we are very destructive by nature -- search some threads on here and you'll see a very simple discussion quickly change to name-calling and caveman-like behaviour just because someone has a difference of opinion.

Bad things have happened in the past and it can be very difficult to let go and move on -- but we must, otherwise we're just waiting for someone bigger than us to press a button :(

I agree with the guy posting earlier about that maybe this discussion shouldn't be on here as very few people know anything about it, neutrals will say religious 'hatred' between the clubs is a pointless exercise as it has little to do with football, however a forum is for discussions so people can discuss whatever the **** they like.

Can I first point out that the fact there is a religious conflict between Protestants and Roman Catholics isn't necessarily to do with football, and that Glasgow is really the only place where this goes[went] on. There is very little religious tension between Rangers and Celtic any more however going back 30 or 40 years was when we saw the Mo Johnson incident and the IRA chants. What this discussion is basically about is sectarianism, google 'sectarianism in Glasgow' to really get the full picture of the goings on.

However there is very little sectarianism within football today there is still a very small percentage of Protestants who support Celtic and an even smaller percentage who support Rangers, really though I just think this is down to family loyalty as opposed to the sectarianism.

Although the Catholics are the more vocal of the two it is in fact Rangers who are[were] known to only sign Protestant players, hence why the signing of Mo Johnson (in the 80's I think) was such a controversial signing, they are also more violent and in fact commit 70% of all sectarianism offences in Glasgow [Protestants in general].

Personally I don't many fans from England can comment about this much, I mean it wasn't too long ago that racism was huge here, there is very little difference between hating somebody for a religion as their is for their race so that's why I think most things posted here are slightly hypocritical and have taken them with a pinch of salt. Hopefully this helps a few of you understand the differences between Celtic and Rangers a bit better, however personally I believe the clubs are used as scapegoats for the religious tension within Glasgow, Celtic and Rangers have a joint campaign running in which they are trying to rid all sectarianism from football let's just hope it works.

Last edited:
Supporting teams based on religion!

What next? Supporting teams based on the colour of their socks.

Childish really

iTS MUCH MORE THAN PROTESTANT AND CATHOLIC. WAS AT THE LAST OLD FIRM GAME AT IBROX AND THERE WAS MEANT TO BE A MINUTE'S SILENCE BUT THE CELTIC FANS WHERE TALKING AND SOME SHOUTING "IM GLAD THE ORANGE ******* IS DEAD."
ITS MORE THAN RELIGION..YOUR TALKIN ABOUT BRITAIN AND IRELAND. A TEAM WHO SOME OF ITS FANS ARE AGAINST HAVING A POPPY EMBROIDERED ON THEIR TOP FOR ARMISTICE DAY BUT YET THEY WILL HAVE A THING FOR FAMINE DAY.
IM NOT TALKING ABOUT ALL CELTIC FANS BUT SOME OF THEM.

Sorry for the caps..

You're right, there are a few Celtic fans that make a mockery of themselves, the club and Scottish football, but it isn't just Celtic, of course. After Tommy Burns' death (if you don't know, he was a former Celtic player and was the current first-team coach before his untimely death), Celtic decided against having a minute's silence, but instead had a minute's applause, for fear of boos from the Rangers fans.

But the majority of Rangers fans applauded, and that just shows that it is a tiny minority of Rangers and Celtic fans who are bigots. I'm a Celtic fan, but I'm not even religious at all. The Celtic fans chanting things about the IRA and the Rangers fans chanting about the famine, blah, blah, blah, it's actually embarrassing, and at times when it's broadcast on TV, I'm ashamed to be a Celtic fan.

Last edited:
These days it's more to do with success.

I've got a feeling that a couple of people who are really digging deep into this aren't living in scotland, because a number of Celtic or Rangers fans do that routine to other scottish clubs aswell. Religion plays its part, the fact that Glasgow is a very rough place also plays its part.

The whole Irish vs British thing is rubbish. If thats the case than it would be Shamrock Rovers vs Manchester United, nothing to do with Scotland.
:)

Im half Scot and part Irish, I dont get too bothered by this but my dad is a die hard Rangers fan and hates Celtic and catholic stuff, he was even disappointed when I got a catholic gf lol

Im half Scot and part Irish, I dont get too bothered by this but my dad is a die hard Rangers fan and hates Celtic and catholic stuff, he was even disappointed when I got a catholic gf lol

My ex-GF's Protestant grandparents refused to come to their son's wedding as it was held in a Catholic chapel. It's quite sad, really.

My ex-GF's Protestant grandparents refused to come to their son's wedding as it was held in a Catholic chapel. It's quite sad, really.

It works both ways mate,a guy I worked with for 10 years came in one day and said that he had to break it off with his new girlfriend because his mother wouldn't let her in the house cos she was Protestant!

This will sound crazy to people looking in from the outside but this is the bullshit that we need to put up with up here in Scotland,I am engaged to a catholic girl who's uncle is a priest and other uncle is a superintendent in the strathclyde police force! U should see the looks she gets from both sets of people wen she tells them that!

I truly despise the **** that goes on in Glasgow and areas of Scotland due to morons associating religion with football!