Mike.

Staff member
Reaction score
Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool: Meireles grabs winner
February 6, 2011

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/02/06/chelsea-0-1-liverpool-tactics/

chevliv.jpg

The starting line-ups

Two interesting formations produced a tense, tight game which was won by Raul Meireles’ goal.

Carlo Ancelotti gave Fernando Torres his debut, fielding the same 4-4-2 diamond system as against Sunderland in midweek, with Nicolas Anelka in the hole behind the front two.

Kenny Dalglish continued with his three/five at the back formation, with Jamie Carragher in for Sotirios Kyrgiakos and Maxi Rodriguez replacing Fabio Aurelio.

Torres threatened to be an instant hero when given the ball by Rodriguez in the opening minutes, but blasted over from the edge of the box. After that, the game settled down into a cagey, static contest in the first half.

Basic shapes

Torres and Drogba took it in turns to work the right and left flanks, but both stayed central throughout and didn’t really look to stretch Liverpool’s defence. Everything was narrow, and Liverpool coped pretty well. Lucas Leiva stayed goalside of Nicolas Anelka, meaning Liverpool always had a spare man when Anelka moved forward to join the front two.

Liverpool’s midfield ’square’ in midweek was effectively tilted to become a diamond here, and as we’ve seen before when two diamonds play each other, the game can be rather stilted. Each midfielder had an obvious opponent to track, with Lucas / Anelka, Steven Gerrard / Frank Lampard, Rodriguez / Michael Essien and Meireles / Jon Obi Mikel the usual battles. There was little creativity from that zone.

Liverpool on top

Liverpool were the better side even before they went ahead in the second half, however, for two reasons. First, their diamond had much more fluidity. Chelsea’s midfield roles were obvious, with the diamond remaining intact throughout, each player in the same position. Liverpool’s diamond was based around more mutual understanding – Meireles was usually at the head of the four, but sometimes it was Gerrard, sometimes Rodriguez, sometimes Lucas would venture forward and another player would drop in and hold. That kept Chelsea guessing, and though it didn’t produce anything particularly exciting in the final third, did make Liverpool the side more likely to cause the opposition defence problems.

The second factor was more a question of formation – with the diamonds cancelling each other out in the centre, it was left to the wide areas for drive and attacking thrust. Here, we had Chelsea’s full-backs (in a four) against Liverpool’s wing-backs (in a five), with the latter given much more license to get forward and support the attack. Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly were often immediately in a position to receive a forward pass in space, and stretched the play. In contrast, Ashley Cole and Jose Bosingwa had to motor forward to move into attacking positions, which made Chelsea’s build-up play more laboured. Johnson becoming free on the left resulted in the best chance of the first half, where Rodriguez somehow missed an open goal from inside the six yard box.

On the other hand, this meant that Liverpool had one fewer striker on the pitch, and therefore there was little chance of interplay upfront. Chelsea certainly had that potential, and Drogba playing in Torres created a great chance – only for Jamie Carragher to perform a typical last-ditch block. Overall, however, Liverpool maximised their advantage in wide zones more than Chelsea maximised their advantage in having an extra striker.

Second half

Little changed until on 66 minutes, when Ancelotti decided his shape wasn’t working, and replaced Torres with Kalou, moving Chelsea to 4-3-3. Before noting the tactical aspect, it’s worth considering the psychological boost Liverpool must have received by seeing Torres depart having barely had a kick in the second half. Tactically, it was potentially a great move from Ancelotti – by playing three forwards stretched across the park, he was going to either subdue Liverpool’s wing-backs, or force their centre-backs out wide.

However, within three minutes, Gerrard’s cross found Meireles at the far post, and Liverpool were ahead. Coming so soon after the switch, Chelsea may have confused by the change in formation – after all, they were now 3 v 4 in the centre of the pitch, and Meireles ran in unchecked to finish. The main tactical impact of the goal, however, was that Liverpool didn’t need to worry about the situation at the back – with a 1-0 lead, their wing-backs would happily be subdued, to form a back five and see out the game. They defended well all game – Chelsea only had one shot on target in the match, a Florent Malouda attempt from an impossible angle that Reina blocked easily.

chelsea1.jpg

by Guardian Chalkboards

Latter stages

As it happened, Ancelotti ended up moving to a 4-2-4ish system that Liverpool’s back five coped with pretty well, maintaining the spare man they’d had at the back for the majority of the game. Ahead of that, Liverpool now had 4 v 2 in the central midfield zone, with the diamond shifting across to shut Chelsea’s full-backs down – though they offered little threat, especially when Branislav Ivanovic moved out there to make room for David Luiz.

The final 15 minutes was about good individual performances – most obviously at the back, but also in midfield. Lucas was superb, using the ball well, and dominating the zone in front of the back four without the ball by nipping in ahead of Chelsea players to make interceptions.

chelsea2r.jpg

by Guardian Chalkboards

Conclusion

Ancelotti played into Liverpool’s hands with his narrow formation. The three-man defence coped very well with Chelsea’s two strikers, and it’s likely Chelsea would have had more joy had they played their 4-3-3 earlier in the game. The Kalou-Anelka-Drogba trio has the potential to play in a 4-3-1-2 and a 4-3-3, but by having two central strikers, Torres and Drogba, on the pitch, Chelsea couldn’t change shape without turning to the bench. It would have been interesting to see if Dalglish would have abandoned his three at the back if Chelsea moved to a 4-3-3 earlier.

Liverpool’s players played their roles very well – the centre-backs won individual battles, the midfielders rotated well, the wing-backs got forward, and Kuyt scrapped upfront. In all, Dalglish won the tactical battle here.

Raul Meireles is one of the few good things that came out of the Roy Hodgson spell

Yeup. We called it, Mike., we called it. :p

Interesting point on Lucas in the article. I thought he played well, but those chalkboards are superb. He's really maturing into a quality player.

In my opinion, if chelsea had a better AMC than Anelka, the result could have been different. I remember at least 3 times when Anelka was 25/30 yards out and running at the back 3 but either hit the shot wide or didn't produce the killer pass needed.

Excellent from Dalglish. Game was too narrow and hardly had any width.

Ancelotti played diamond formation in the first half of last season, it didn't work and also Lampard underperformed. Then he switched to 4-3-3 and Chelsea started beating teams for fum. Don't know why Carlo is reverting back to Diamond.

Credit has to be given to Kenny.

This sums up very well..
Ancelotti played into Liverpool’s hands with his narrow formation
In all, Dalglish won the tactical battle here.

Interesting point on Lucas in the article. I thought he played well, but those chalkboards are superb. He's really maturing into a quality player.
i know, perhaps time for us to get our badges and enter management? :p

But refreshing to see a manager take a tactical "gamble" to get something out of a game

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Excellent from Dalglish. Game was too narrow and hardly had any width.

Ancelotti played diamond formation in the first half of last season, it didn't work and also Lampard underperformed. Then he switched to 4-3-3 and Chelsea started beating teams for fum. Don't know why Carlo is reverting back to Diamond.

Credit has to be given to Kenny.

This sums up very well..

very suprised that carlo didnt shift to 4-3-3, that would have caused the 3-5-2 all sorts of problems

very suprised that carlo didnt shift to 4-3-3, that would have caused the 3-5-2 all sorts of problems

Or rather, surprised he didn't shift sooner. He did, but soon after that it was too late.

he didnt start with 4-3-3 because he wanted to use torres as an out and out striker instead of playing off drogba which he would have to do in a 4-3-3

I just hope all the Lucas haters from season's gone can actually see how good he is, one of our best players this season.

he didnt start with 4-3-3 because he wanted to use torres as an out and out striker instead of playing off drogba which he would have to do in a 4-3-3
But by not changing it he completely played into Dalglish's hands. Silly error from Ancelotti, but you could argue an error that was impossible to rectify until at least halfway through the match.

I've always thought he is harshly treated. He isn't particularly spectacular, but he is tidy and a good passer of the ball.

Dalglish has proven that he is not out of date with the current game.

well done all the lads today. and for once in my life i hope man u beat them twice,

thought liverpool looked very determined today and put on a great performance.

Meireles is on fire. Lucas seem to be improving too.

Great win for Liverpool at the Bridge.

I just hope all the Lucas haters from season's gone can actually see how good he is, one of our best players this season.

i was one of those lucas haters and i'm very happy to eat my words. prob our most consistent player this season. and raul has been a revelation recently, like we signed a new player. long may it continue.

ynwa

tbh most of his haters were Pool supporters :p

Lucas has been exceptional this season, bossed it completely in the last two games. Developing into a fantastic little player. Proved the doubters wrong, didn't let it effect him, he got on with it and is a crucial player now for us.

Long Live Lucas.