Chelsea FC - A Samillyroy Legacy Returns for FM13

samillyroy

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to my annual bash at a Chelsea file! I haven't had a go at them this season and with the likes of Drogba etc gone it's going to be an entirely new challenge for me! I will probably just do one season and see how many trophies I can gather as I often lose steam after the first season but I always enjoy doing this! I hope you'll all follow and there'll be a press conference in the first update :)

Here are my previous stories if you never read them!

fm10
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2010-fm-stories/27566-chelsea-samillyroy-legacy.html
fm11
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/fm-stories-archived/55707-chelsea-legacy-returns-football-manager-2011-a.htm
fm12
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...helsea-story-stamford-bridge-legacy-last.html

View attachment 320561
ChelseaFC 2012-2013

Last edited:
not really the best OP mate, especially after saying:

I will probably just do one season and see how many trophies I can gather as I often lose steam after the first season but I always enjoy doing this!

I wish you luck but I doubt this will capture anyone's attention to be honest :)

Appreciate the input but if you look at my FM12 one and see the amount of detail I'll go into game by game I'm sure some people will find it interesting. If not then I don't mind because I enjoy doing it anyway :)

Last edited:
Appreciate the input but if you look at my FM12 one and see the amount of detail I'll go into game by game I'm sure some people will find it interesting. If not then I don't mind because I enjoy doing it anyway :)
thanks for the early indictment though.. I'd appreciate if you gave it more of a chance before damning my story..

cool bud :) no worries

CHELSEA PROMOTE YOUTH TEAM COACH ON 1-YEAR CONTRACT
6145582538_134e588c63_z.jpg

'This is a huge club and it's a privelege to be given this opportunity'

Chelsea shocked the footballing world this morning when they appointed youth coach Sam Illyroy to position of Head Coach at Stamford Bridge, despite apparent interest from the likes of Jose Mourinho and Fabio Capello.

The club announced their decision ahead of the new season after dispensing with the services of Roberto di Matteo, and despite liaising with fans nemesis Rafael Benitez, the Chelsea hierarchy decided to appoint their home-grown coach.

The man himself strode in confidently to the press room this afternoon and looked like a man with plenty of self-belief - how much of that will remain at the end of the season is questionable, but he spoke without seeming to feel too much pressure.

"This is undoubtedly one of the biggest jobs in world football and there is of course a lot of pressure alongside that. With the one year contract I have been handed though I feel I can work within a structured framework and help bring short-term success to the club."

When pressed by the gathering journalists on his long-term position at the club and the fact that many high-profile managers would be vying for his job, Illyroy appeared unfazed:

"Listen, I've been brought in to do a job on a short-term contract and I am confident that I will be given the necessary tools and time to do that. What happens after next season is none of my concern and I feel that I have a crop of players here more than able to focus and bring in as many trophies as possible to this great club.

"We want to play an attacking style of football with the players that I have on offer, though we know that it is necessary to strike a good balance. I am delighted with the players I have available and am looking forward to fighting for the 7 available trophies.

"The football is the most important thing and I want to make that absolutely clear, I'm here to do a job and I'm absolutely raring to go."

The new man setting out his stall early on, but time will tell what fate has in store for this young manager - if his predecessors are anything to go by, he's in for a rough ride.

View attachment 320563
ChelseaFC 2012-2013

PRE-SEASON 2012-2013 - CHINA TOUR
0,,10268~11721880,00.jpg

Chelsea kicked off their season with a trip to China to face a number of German and Korean sides as they warmed up for the season ahead. Some gritty displays and some interesting cameos gave Illyroy plenty to think about ahead of the Charity Shield match with Manchester City in early August.

40-Man Squad
GK: Turnbull, Hilario, Cech, Blackman
DF: Terry, David Luiz, Cole, Ferreira, Cahill, Bertrand, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Kane, Deen-Conteh, Christensen, Ake
MF: Marin, Lampard, Ramires, Moses, Mikel, Hazard, Oscar, Mata, Romeu, Benayoun, Saville, Lalkovic, Malouda, Musonda, Loftus-Cheek, Houghton, Seremba, Baker
AF: Torres, Ba, Mitchell, Feruz, Kiwomya, Figueira

Chelsea 3 - 0 Bayer Leverkusen
Oscar (5, 32), Torres (47)
"Top display from Chelsea, a fluent and impressive performance with young Oscar pulling all the strings in midfield. Promising start to pre-season."
Chelsea 3 - 1 Hamburger SV
Torres (33, 42), Moses (84)
"Came back from a goal down to beat a strong Hamburg side. Torres was clinical and put in a fine display whilst substitute Moses also put in an encouraging performance."

Busan l'Park 0 - 1 Chelsea
Baker (86)
"Chelsea's Korean opponents put in a dogged display but youngster Lewis Baker scored a fine finish from just inside the box to seal victory. A number of other youngsters featured in a top display."

Gyeongnam 1 - 3 Chelsea
Romeu (13), Cole (54), Terry (81)
"A far stronger side than that that played against Busan l'Park and it showed in a dominating performance - Romeu and Terry with exquisite 30 yard strikes to seal victory."

Jeju United 1 - 2 Chelsea
Lampard (49), Moses (90+1)
"A dominating display with two seperate XI's starting in a bid to keep up fitness for Sunday's match with Manchester City. Left it late but a deserved win. Ivanovic injured for 4-5 weeks"

MANAGER'S SUMMARY

Sam Illyroy said:
I am delighted with how the boys performed, some very professional displays have set us up well for the season ahead and I saw some encouraging displays from some of the fringe players.
The season is going to be a very long one indeed with the number of competitions we are participating in and that means that many of these players will see playing time over the course of the season, including the likes of Nathan Ake, Lewis Baker and Islam Feruz - and I am delighted with the potential they have shown on this tour.
With the City game coming up this weekend I am delighted with the form that we have shown, though I am dissapointed to have lost Branna to injury in the last game as he is a crucial player for us.

Player of Pre-Season: Fernando Torres
View attachment 320575
Sam Illyroy said:
Considering the amount of stick he has got since joining Chelsea he has always got his head down and tried to let his football do the talking. I am encouraged by his displays in pre-season and I hope that continues into the campaign.
Chelsea kick off their campaign with the Charity Shield contest against Manchester City this Sunday, a Live Text Commentary match. Join us for that and a preview before hand!

Manchester City v. Chelsea
McDonald's Community Shield Final, Wembley Stadium

KEY PLAYER - SERGIO AGUERO
View attachment 320585View attachment 320586

The man who sunk QPR in the last game of the 2011-2012 campaign to win the Premier League for Manchester City is clearly their greatest attacking threat. His constant movement and precise finishing will be a real problem for Chelsea this Sunday.

MATCH NEWS

Chelsea have several players sidelined from their first team for this game, including Branislav Ivanovic (ankle), Yossi Benayoun (ankle) and Marko Marin (hamstring). The rest of the team joined up for training this week after returning from the China tour.

Manchester City also have a couple of key players out. Defenders Micah Richards (ankle) and Matija Nastasic (cheekbone) will both be unavailable for this game whilst it also comes too soon for midfielders Gareth Barry (groin) and Jack Rodwell (hamstring)

MATCH PREVIEW

This match is viewed as something of a curtain-raiser for the English football calender but most also see it as something of a friendly match. Having said that, both teams will be looking to get their season off to the best possible start and with both teams fielding new signings, they will want to show their worth to their new sides.
Manager Illyroy is looking for his first victory as Chelsea manager and it would also secure him his first trophy were he to achieve that. He spoke to the press this afternoon:

Sam Illyroy said:
This is a great chance for us to get some silverware to kick start our season. We are on the hunt for 7 trophies and we will compete just as hard for every single one of those.
Manchester City were worthy champions last season but we are looking to change that in this campaign. They have strong players throughout their team but we feel we are more than a match for them.
I will be naming my strongest possible XI for this match and I am looking forward to a great game.

Live Text Commentary - Refresh for Updates
McDonald's Community Shield Final, Villa Park

View attachment 320590

MANCHESTER CITY 1 - 1 CHELSEA
CITY WIN 5-4 ON PENALTIES

12:30:
Welcome to Birmingham and Villa Park for today's Charity Shield match between Premier League Champions Manchester City and the FA Cup Winners Chelsea. We've got a mouth-watering game on our hands.

12:36:
Chelsea are without Ivanovic which could be a big miss for them but with their new signings over the summer they should be well enough equipped to cope with his loss. City also brought in a couple of players over the summer, including their latest acquisition Hatem Ben Arfa but have they strengthened enough to retain their crown?

12:46: So just over 3/4 hour to go until the big kick off and the team news is just starting to come in and there is a big player out for Manchester City!

Manchester City v Chelsea
Chelsea: Cech, Azpilicueta, Cole, Terry, David Luiz, Ramires, Mikel, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Torres. Subs: Hilario, Bertrand, Paulo Ferreira, Cahill, Lampard, Moses, Ba
Manchester City: Hart, Maicon, Kolarov, Kompany, Lescott, Toure, Fellaini, Tevez, Silva, Nasri, Dzeko. Subs: Pantilimon, Zabaleta, Milner, Aguero, Clichy, Garcia, Ben Arfa

13:00: So obviously the biggest talking point here is that Aguero will start on the bench for this match, with Edin Dzeko taking the starting role up top for City. No doubt we will see the Argentine at some point during the game.

13:10: Chelsea have gone for a predictable starting XI and the one that slaughtered Bayer Leverkusen in the first pre-season fixture. Azpilicueta slotting in at right back to replace the injured Branislav Ivanovic the only real change from their strongest XI.

13:15: HAVE YOUR SAY We'd love to hear from you and your opinions throughout the game so get in touch with us as this fantastic fixture gets underway!

13:20:
Villa Park is bouncing and we're close to kick off. The Chelsea fans are expectant with their team having performed so well in pre-season. Can they get their first trophy of the campaign today?

13:30: View attachment 320604 And we're off! The Community Shield 2013 is underway.

13:35: Ashley Cole is the first in the book this afternoon for a late challenge on Kolarov, Chris Foy getting stuck in early.

13:40: Chelsea the team on top at the moment with Mikel pulling the strings from deep, but his pass out wide is cut out by Kolarov at the crucial moment.

13:51: Both teams really feeling each other out at the moment but it's City who get the first real opportunity. Terry misses his interception and lets Tevez in whose shot stings Cech's fingertips. Good opportunity for City.

13:56: Another great chance for City goes begging! Chelsea are pushed high up the pitch and Toure sets up a great counter-attack after dispossessing Azpilicueta but Nasri's run through is smothered brilliantly by Petr Cech. Chelsea living dangerously.

14:02: Cech keeping Chelsea in this at the moment! A free kick is played out wide to Kolarov who whips it in brilliantly with Kompany attacking but Cech gathers across to tip over the bar. Corner ball.

14:07: An excellent chance for Mata and he really should have scored. Cole plays it long on the counter and he beats Hart to the ball but the angle is too tough for him and he hits the post.

14:10: Well we can't complain that this game hasn't had chances and Chelsea let another one pass them by, this time Hazard skewing wide in a great position.

14:14: Another great opening and Hazard is the culprit again, slamming his one on one straight at Hart and then completely missing the rebound. How this game is still goalless is anyones guess!

View attachment 32060814:16: RED CARD (John Terry)
Oh dear, oh dear. On the stroke of half time, Chelsea are reduced to ten as captain John Terry pulls down Silva on the edge of the box and receives his second yellow.

14:18: HALF TIME Manchester City 0 - 0 Chelsea

View attachment 320607 Manchester City 0 - 0 Chelsea
An even game really, with Chelsea the team looking to press forward and City catching them often on the counter-attack. With City now having the ten man advantage though, you would think it is a matter of time before they steal ahead. Should be an interesting second half now.

14:30: The game is back underway and John Terry's replacement is Gary Cahill, coming on for Oscar who was very quiet in that first half.

14:41: City substitute Ben Arfa goes close with a low drive as City pile on the pressure.

14:44: GOALFLASH Manchester City 0 - 1 Chelsea (Ramires)
View attachment 320619Chelsea goal: Classic breakaway goal as Chelsea hit City with a sucker punch. Cahill disposses Yaya Toure brilliantly with a last ditch tackle before finding Torres. He plays Mata in who flicks a brilliant ball into the onrunning Ramires who runs a good 30 yards before slotting past Hart.

14:51: Demba Ba comes on for Fernando Torres as Chelsea look to make the ball stick up front.

14:59: Silva really should have levelled things here as Tevez finds him in acres of space with a great back heel but he skews his shot wide of Cech's left hand post. City haven't made the best of their man advantage in this second half.

15:04: Moses on now then for Eden Hazard as Chelsea look for some direct runners on the counter. Can they see out this last 10 minutes?

15:12: GOALFLASH Manchester City 1 - 1 Chelsea (Carlos Tevez)
View attachment 320619City Goal: Right at the death, Carlos Tevez snatches the equaliser for MAnchester City. Played in by Toure he takes a touch past David Luiz and this time makes no mistake to fire City back level. Only a few minutes to go or it will be penalties.

15:18: FULL TIME Manchester City 1 - 1 Chelsea
That's it! The two couldn't be seperated in 90 minutes so this will go down to a penalty shoot-out.. Stay tuned.

JUAN MATA - GOAL
SERGIO AGUERO - GOAL
DEMBA BA - GOAL
CARLOS TEVEZ - GOAL
ASHLEY COLE - GOAL
ALEKSANDER KOLAROV - MISS!
RAMIRES - GOAL
SAMIR NASRI - GOAL
DAVID LUIZ - HITS THE POST!
DAVID SILVA - GOAL

SUDDEN DEATH!
VICTOR MOSES - HITS THE BAR!
PABLO ZABALETA - SAVED!

GARY CAHILL - SAVED!
VINCENT KOMPANY - GOAL

15:32: That's it! City have won the Charity Shield on penalties with captain Vincent Kompany scoring the decisive spot kick. Chelsea had the chance to clinch it with David Luiz's penalty but he struck the frame of the woodwork and that was the turning point. Chelsea miss the chance to clinch their first piece of silverware.

1846324_w2.jpg

View attachment 320591 View attachment 320592

Last edited:
Norwich City v. Chelsea
Premier League, Matchday 1, Carrow Road

KEY PLAYER - JUAN MATA

View attachment 320622

Chelsea's shining light, had a great first season for Chelsea last year and will be key to any success they have this season with his exceptional technique and unpredictability. Will cause Norwich real problems today.

MATCH NEWS

Chelsea are once again without Branislav Ivanovic and John Terry joins that list of defenders missing after his red card against Man City. Marko Marin remains injury whilst this game may also come too early for Yossi Benayoun.

Whittaker
is Norwich's only injury worry whilst the rest of their squad should be fit to play.

MATCH PREVIEW
Norwich did well to stay up last season under the guidance of Paul Lambert. He has moved on to Aston Villa and Chris Hughton has stepped in to keep the Norfolk based side in the Premier League. This is a stern test for them though and Chelsea will be determined to get their campaign off to the best possible start against what is clearly inferior opposition.

Sam Illyroy said:
We have brushed off the dissapointment of that defeat against Manchester City and are looking forward to getting the Premier League underway.
I thought we played well against City especially considering the circumstances so I am not too dissapointed and this is a great early chance for us to get that out of our system and get our Premier League campaign off to a great start.

Premier League Matchday 1
Carrow Road, Norwich

View attachment 320640
NORWICH

CHELSEA
View attachment 320641

Torres (45)

820376-fernando-torres.jpg

Spaniard Fernando Torres finished coolly to give Chelsea a winning start to the season

Chelsea got their Premier League campaign off to a winning start with a solid victory against Chris Hughton's Norwich. The Blues were frustrated in the first half but capitalised on some weak defending to score a route one goal in first half injury time.

The blues were looking to bounce back from defeat in the Charity Shield this afternoon and began the half very attacking with Eden Hazard and Victor Moses providing the width on the flanks.

But it was from a direct goal kick that Chelsea scored on the brink of half time, Cech's long ball bouncing over Bassong to Torres who rounded John Ruddy and stabbed home for his first of the season.

The second half saw Chelsea look to kick on and grab a second but they were stunted by some disciplined Norwich defending, Bassong in particular proving a real rock for the Canaries.

And indeed Norwich could have got level, or even won, late in the game when they saw not 1 but 2 goals disallowed for offside as Whelan and Pilkington both tucked home crosses only to see the linesman's flag raised.

But Chelsea were worthy of their victory, dominating possession and the majority of the chances and it's a good, albiet underwhelming, start for the new manager.

Sam Illyroy said:
This was a good result for us and I am pleased to get the three points. Having played that tough match last weekend it was important that we got the result in a tough away fixture here but we will look to improve on the performance.
Sadly, Oscar picked up a knock late on and will be out for 4-5 weeks which is a big blow for us.

View attachment 320635 View attachment 320636

Last edited:
Chelsea v. Wigan Athletic
Premier League, Matchday 2, Stamford Bridge

KEY PLAYER - FERNANDO TORRES

0,,10268~11176379,00.jpg

Fernando scored Chelsea's first league goal of the season against Norwich and looked generally quite lively. The Chelsea fans have stuck with him through a lot of tough times over the past couple of seasons and they will be hoping that he can start to get some consistency to his game. Class is permanent.

MATCH NEWS

Chelsea are without Branislav Ivanovic but John Terry returns from suspension and should slot back into the side. Yossi Benayoun is also available but Oscar and Marin are both out with injury.

Franco Di Santo is likely to miss this clash with his former club as he struggles with a thigh injury.

MATCH PREVIEW

Chelsea won this clash last season thanks to a highly controversial late Ivanovic winner when he was clearly 2 yards offside. It ended a great run for Wigan but didn't stop their late season revival which helped them retain their Premier League status. The Lancashire side play good football but shouldn't be a match for Chelsea this afternoon as the Blues look to kick on from their good performance against Norwich.

Sam Illyroy said:
I'm really looking forward to my first home game in charge and I think we should be able to put on a good performance. It's dissapointing to be without Oscar but I think we have enough players to cope with his absence.

Premier League Matchday 2
Stamford Bridge, London
320641d1363697607-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-chelsea-logo-icon.jpg
CHELSEA22WIGANView attachment 320644
David Luiz (22)
Ba (85)

Beasejour (3)
Perch (59)

AD2013030258751-Chelseas_Demba.jpg

Demba Ba salvaged a draw for Chelsea with a late header.

Chelsea managed to grab a draw with a late equaliser from Demba Ba against a battling Wigan side. Wigan twice took the lead only to see the FA Cup winners Chelsea peg them back. The away side also saw James McCarthy sent off in the second half for a second yellow.

Chelsea went into this game off the back of a good win against Norwich but were behind after just 3 minutes when Beasejour pounced on Azpilicueta's error to slot past a rooted Petr Cech.

But the Blues didn't take long to establish their technical superiority with the trio of Mata, Hazard and Benayoun causing a number of problems to the Wigan backline. Benayoun's free kick just after 20 minutes found David Luiz who bundled past Al-Habsi.

But the Omani keeper was in inspired form for the rest of the half, making save after save to deny Chelsea. And despite James McCarthy's second yellow for a dive in the second half, Wigan took the lead when James Perch scored a penalty conceded by goalscorer David Luiz.

Chelsea were frustrated, with their opponents leading despite having just 3 shots. They pushed and pushed but couldn't find a way past an inspired Ali Al-Habsi.

It took substitute Demba Ba, replacing Fernando Torres, to break Wigan's resistance, heading home an Azpilicueta cross but they couldn't push on to find the winner.

Sam Illyroy said:
I'm dissapointed that we couldn't get the win here today but there wasn't much more we could have done to get it. Wigan battled for their lives and showed why they are a credit to this league but we were far and away the better team. We will pick ourselves up for the Super Cup and go again.

View attachment 320652 View attachment 320655

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea
UEFA European Super Cup Final, Monaco

1518354_w2.jpg

KEY PLAYER - RADOMEL FALCAO
View attachment 320657
The Colombian's stock just keeps on rising with consistently brilliant performances. Chelsea will have their work cut out to stop him this evening, especially with John Terry missing through suspension.

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea are without John Terry who is completing a suspension dating back to last season's Champions League semi-final. Ivanovic, Oscar and Marin are also out with injuries leaving Chelsea a little short in midfield.

Atletico have no such problems and indeed their only injury problem is thirty-three year old Diaz, leaving the Spanish side with a near full strength team.

MATCH PREVIEW

This is an interesting clash of styles, with Chelsea's new passing style up against the combative strength of Falcao and Atletico's other creative players around him. It will be interesting to see who starts in Chelsea's midfield after Ramires and Lampard started their opening two games. With John Terry out, Cahill will be asked to fill in once more and after a good start to the season, he will be hoping to continue that this evening.
Chelsea's last appearance in this competition came with a 1-0 win over Real Madrid in 1998 when Gustavo Poyet scored. They will be looking to secure a first trophy of the season after missing out on the Charity Shield a couple of weeks ago.

Sam Illyroy said:
I'm really excited by this match, I think we have a great opportunity to grab some early silverware and make no mistake, this is a prestigious tournament. We have got a gameplan for this evening and I am really looking forward to pitting my wits against such a class side.

LIVE TEXT COMMENTARY - REFRESH FOR UPDATES
UEFA EUROPEAN SUPER CUP FINAL, LIVE FROM STADE LOUIS II, MONACO

View attachment 320658

ATLETICO MADRID 2 - 1 CHELSEA

19:00: Welcome to the south of France and it's a beautiful evening here in Monaco. European Champions Chelsea play Europa League winners Atletico Madrid of Spain in what should be a great fixture!

19:07: The Blues are without their captain John Terry who is suspended following his red card against Barcelona in last year's Champions League semi-final. Branislav Ivanovic is also still missing and Oscar will miss out.

19:20: Atletico on the other hand come into this in good form and with a full strength squad. They look raring to go out on the pitch for training and this should be a very exciting Super Cup Final. Squads coming up!

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea
Chelsea: Cech, Azpilicueta, Cole, Cahill, David Luiz, Mikel, Ramires, Ba, Mata, Hazard, Torres. Subs: Turnbull, Paulo Ferreira, Bertrand, Romeu, Moses, Lampard, Benayoun
Atletico: Courtois, Filipe, Juanfran, Miranda, Godin, Suarez, Gabi, Turan, Garcia, Falcao. Subs: Asenjo, Rodriguez, Tiago, Costa, Insua, Oliver, Cisma

19:42: Strong sides from both teams, no surprises there. Courtois starts in goal against his parent club but it is the inclusion of Ba and Torres which is most surprising from a Chelsea perspective. Chelsea looking to fight fire with fire and the Senegalese forward will start on the left of a 4-4-1-1 formation.

19:50:
The teams are out on the pitch, and the ceremony is underway. The trophy is on the pitchside with both players vying to lift it come 10pm.

20:00:
320604d1363691995-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-_46175659_whistle_44.jpg
Chelsea get us underway in France, kicking from right to left.

20:02: GOALFLASH Atletico 0 - 1 Chelsea (Eden Hazard)
320619d1270001111-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-_46175646_net_buster_44.jpg
Chelsea goal: Stunning way to open your account, Hazard collects the ball from Torres inside the centre circle, ducking his way past several tackles before shimmying past Godin and slamming home from 25 yards. Beautiful goal.

20:05: Chelsea are in full flow here, Torres disposses Miranda and launches a striking counter attack, laying off Ramires but Courtois makes an excellent low save. Chelsea corner.

20:15: Atletico's first real chance, Suarez the creator and Turan gets his shot away but it's a great last ditch tackle from Azpilicueta. The Spanish side are coming back into it.

20:22: PENALTY TO ATLETICO MADRID

20:23: GOALFLASH Atletico 1 - 1 Chelsea (Gabi)
320619d1270001111-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-_46175646_net_buster_44.jpg
Atletico goal: Oh dear, David Luiz concedes a second penalty in as many games when he pulls down Falcao and is lucky not to get a red card as last man. Gabi steps up to level the scores for Atletico Madrid, giving Cech no chance.

20:32: The pace of the game has somewhat slowed with that goal, but Torres fashions another opening for Chelsea, only to smash his shot against the side netting.

20:38:
320608d1363692835-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-_46175648_red_card_44.jpg
RED CARD (Mario Suarez)
Woah! The game has just turned on it's head as Mario Suarez seems red for what seemed an innocuous challenge. A coming together with John Obi Mikel, who is still on the floor, and the referee is brandishing a red card. Atletico down to 10 men.

20:40: GOALFLASH Atletico Madrid 2 - 1 Chelsea (Falcao)
Atletico goal: You couldn't make it up. A minute after going down to ten men, Atletico take the lead as Falcao heads home a Juanfran free kick. Chelsea in shock.

20:43: Chelsea look to go up the other half and strike back but Mata smashes his shot wide when well placed.

20:48: HALF TIME Atletico Madrid 2 - 1 Chelsea
320607d1363692691-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-_46175652_ht_44x.jpg
Atletico Madrid 2 - 1 Chelsea
A crazy first half comes to an end, with Atletico holding a slim advantage. But it is the red card to Mario Suarez that could be decisive in which way this game goes. Chelsea need to now push on and forget what happened toward the end of the second half if they are to claim the Super Cup.

21:00: Back underway and no changes for either side. Atletico kick us off.

21:07: Oh it's a wonderful opportunity for Fernando Torres and he'***** it tamely at Courtois. Hazard finds him in space with a beautiful reverse pass but his shot is poor.

21:11: Big call from the Chelsea manager as Torres comes off for Frank Lampard. The Spaniard does not look best pleased.

21:19: Mata hits a free kick against the wall and is then replaced by Victor Moses as Illyroy shuffles his pack.

21:30: Demba Ba hits a low drive but it's saved well by Courtois. Atletico are dealing with everything Chelsea have to offer in this second half, which isn't very much.

21:34: Chelsea running out of time as Benayoun comes on for Ramires.

21:38: Benayoun hits a free kick and it's dipping but it just goes past the far post. Time is short now.

21:45: FULL TIME Atletico 2 - 1 Chelsea
It's all over and Atletico Madrid are super cup winners thanks to Falcao's header just before half-time! Chelsea had the chance in the second half after Atletico went down to ten men but the Spaniard's put on a brave defensive display to secure the trophy.

monaco-soccer-uefa-super-cup-390x285.jpg

View attachment 320662 View attachment 320663

Sam Illyroy said:
It's dissapointing as it's a second opportunity for silverware that we have failed to take. We took the lead and looked to push on from there but to concede the penalty when we were on top was simply careless. We have no one to blame but ourselves, but we push on from here.

Last edited:
AUGUST REVIEW
320561d1363684046t-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-chelseafc-logo-420x200.jpg

It's been a tough month for Chelsea as they looked to open up an historic season with some big matches. An okay start to the league season is undermined by losing the Charity Shield on penalties to Manchester City and also the dissapointing 2-1 loss to Atletico Madrid in the Super Cup.

Having said that performances have been to a decent level and the manager is not too downhearted:

Sam Illyroy said:
The performances of the team have been to a good level so far this season and if we keep going in that vein then success will come. We are dissapointed of course to miss out on silverware but it simply came down to what happened on the day, with a bit of luck we would easily have won both.
We are looking forward to next month as we look to make amends for the dissapointment of missing out on these two trophies.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH FOR AUGUST
Gary-Cahill-Chelsea-Player-Profile_2823658.jpg

GARY CAHILL
The England international put in some very assured performances at centre back and was unlucky to only have one clean sheet to back that up. Has filled in for captain John Terry's suspension well and may well keep his place when he returns.

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW

View attachment 320693View attachment 320694View attachment 320695View attachment 320696

Chelsea were drawn with Portuguese side Benfica, Belarussian side BATE Borisov and Swiss giants FC Basel in what is considered one of the easier groups in this years competition. The manager is not taking that view though:

Sam Illyroy said:
This is a tough draw for us as all of these teams are respective Champions. We can take no liberties and are looking forward to some really tough fixtures.

CAPITAL ONE CUP DRAW
chelsea-vs-arsenal-.jpg

Chelsea will face Arsenal in the 3rd Round of the Capital One Cup at the Emirates Stadium in a tough first assignment for the new manager.

Sam Illyroy said:
Of course we would have wanted an easier game at this stage in the competition, but having said that we are relishing such a big clash against our local rivals and I'm sure it will be a fantastic game. We may see a couple of fringe players play but I am determined to win every competition so expect to see a very competitive XI in this game.

September preview
With August gone, Chelsea look forward to what next month will bring. The first match of the month brings a mouth-watering clash against London rivals Tottenham Hotspur before the first Champions League fixture against Benfica.
The month ends at Reading, with games against West Brom and Liverpool preceeding that home fixture in what looks to be a very competitive month indeed.

Chelsea v. Tottenham
Premier League Matchday 3, Stamford Bridge

KEY PLAYER - GARETH BALE
Gareth+Bale

A player with a burgeoning reputation in world football, the Welsh forward has been at the top of a great rise to the top of the Premier League table in Tottenham's first 3 games, scoring twice and chipping in with a couple of assists too. Having picked up a knock for Wales, he may not be available, but if he is then Chelsea are in for a tough afternoon.

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea welcome back Branislav Ivanovic from injury, but John Terry and Ashley Cole both picked up knocks on international duty and will miss this game and the Benfica match in mid-week. It also comes too soon for Oscar

Tottenham are unsure of the fitness of Gareth Bale, while Michael Dawson and Emmanuel Adebayorwill also miss out. Scott Parker is also unlikely to play for Spurs.

MATCH PREVIEW

This match is always a tense battle, and that will be intensfied as Andre Vilas-Boas makes his first return to Stamford Bridge after what many viewed as an unfair sacking mid-way through the last campaign. The young Portuguese manager has started well with his new club, racking up 3 impressive wins and they now sit atop the Premier League. Chelsea are also unbeaten in their first two games, but will be looking to improve on their last league game, a stuttering draw against Wigan Athletic.

Sam Illyroy said:
This is always a great fixture and it's one that the fans will really enjoy and get behind. I hope we can benefit from that. We are missing a couple of key players but I have faith that my stand in players will do a good job for us this afternoon and we are hoping to get our first three home points of the season here against our big rivals.

Premier League, Matchday 3
Stamford Bridge, London

320641d1363697607-chelsea-fc-samillyroy-legacy-returns-fm13-chelsea-logo-icon.jpg
CHELSEA00TOTTENHAMView attachment 320715

QPR-v-Tottenham-Hugo-Lloris_2884770.jpg

Hugo Lloris put on a masterclass to deny a dominant Chelsea team.

Chelsea left Stamford Bridge this afternoon dissapointed not to have gotten 3 points after thoroughly outplaying their London rivals. They cut the Tottenham defence apart time and time again but found Lloris in inspired form to deny them.

The Blues came right out of the blocks after a dissapointing display against Atletico a fortnight ago and made a number of good openings with Ramires the focal point on the right hand side. Hazard twice had good opportunities but could only sting the palms of Lloris.

Corners and free kicks came and went as Chelsea piled on the pressure and Torres should have scored only for Lloris to tip expertly onto the post from close range.

At half time, Tottenham hadn't even registered a shot, on or off target, and Chelsea continued in the second half, breaking up Tottenham's attacks through the excellent Mikel but Eden Hazard and Juan Mata were found wanting in front of goal. Demba Ba came on and had a fantastic chance late on to seal victory but headed straight at Lloris when it looked easier to score.

Chelsea remain undefeated in the league in their first 3 games but they may feel this was a very good opportunity for three points against a strong Tottenham side.

Sam Illyroy said:
I can't criticise the players too much because we were excellent out there. We dominated from the word go and played some magnificent football, we just don't have our shooting boots on at the moment. We have plenty of games coming up and I predict that the goals will soon start flowing. I'm not too concerned.

View attachment 320716View attachment 320717

Last edited: