Chelsea search for Luiz agreement

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 86
  • Views Views 4K
Rafael is our first choice RB who is very good in attacking. Evra joins attack without giving second thought about defence is because of Vidic. He is the one who covers all the space left by Evra.

I got your point but you chose wrong example ;)

Lol his point had nothing to do with the DC's to be honest mate

The defensive cover comes more from Carrick for United, and to a large extent from Busquets for Barcelona. Nice point though and that is something he brings to Chelsea when at right back.

On topic - it sounds like a lot of money but he has been highly rated for a number of years now, and Benfica don't need to sell so it is to be expected. Good signing long term. Does he speak english? I'd expect him to need a transitional period similar to Vidic when he made the January switch

For example, see Evra and O'Shea: O'Shea's defensive solidity allows Evra freedom to join the attack, and the defence shuffles left and forms a three, essentially making O'Shea another centre-back. This way, Evra can join the attack without leaving the defence exposed. .

Lol his point had nothing to do with the DC's to be honest mate

I was just saying why we wont get exposed much in defence even when Evra joins attack everytime. Vidic covers really well and also as fuelledbypassion said, Carrick does excellent job to cover the space left by Evra.

Well sorry for going off topic.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

The defensive cover comes more from Carrick for United, and to a large extent from Busquets for Barcelona. Nice point though and that is something he brings to Chelsea when at right back.

On topic - it sounds like a lot of money but he has been highly rated for a number of years now, and Benfica don't need to sell so it is to be expected. Good signing long term. Does he speak english? I'd expect him to need a transitional period similar to Vidic when he made the January switch

Thats a very good point. People are always against signing in Jan window, but it really helps player to settle in well and start new season much better, like Evra, Vidic.

Reports say he is close to joining....already after a medical. I think this is a good signing for chelsea :(

Sidnei, its time to step it up a notch, enough with the partying and drinking

So why aren't Chelsea tracking Carriço? I'll tell you: he just isn't as good. I've heard of Carriço because I follow the Portuguese leagues a bit, but lots more people will have heard of Luiz and not of Carriço, simply because Luiz is better and as such has a greater reputation.

If you know anything about Portugal, you'd know that the all sports newspapers/websites always favor Benfica and its players, much more exposure. Except for Ojogo, of course, thats the Porto paper. Having the journalists excessively praising a player will have some kind of effect on his rep.

And to be honest, i really dont want Carriço to be sold, at least not for now, tough City offered 12 million pounds a while back, i reckon.

Great signing for us this. I've been watching him for a while now and it looks like he could be our new Carvalho. Technically very good on the ball for a centre half and isn't one to back out of challenges. I've heard one of his biggest flaws is his discipline, but I guess that goes hand in hand with him still being a young lad.

Watched him play against Liverpool last year at left back and he was decent. Seeing as we have a problem at right back at the moment I wonder if he could slot in there and Ivanovic can stay at centre back. Luiz looks better suited to play there as he likes to bomb forward & also has a Delap like long throw which could be useful.

Overall, if we do sign him I'll be very pleased. His hair is also awesome :wub:

YouTube - David Luiz- Welcome to Chelsea HD

If you know anything about Portugal, you'd know that the all sports newspapers/websites always favor Benfica and its players, much more exposure. Except for Ojogo, of course, thats the Porto paper. Having the journalists excessively praising a player will have some kind of effect on his rep.

And if you know anything about Portugal, you'd know sporting fans always victimize themselves, Benfica fans constantly claim next year will be theirs, and porto fans just point and laugh at their Lisbon's rivals while accumulating titles=)

haha just joking, mate, in all fairness, benfica gets a lot more coverage from those biased journalists, it's true.... And just for the record, I don't like it either...

And i might add, to Chelsea fans, you're going to absolutely love David Luiz, he's an amazing player already, and the premier league will just provide him the jump in quality he needs.

Will be really sad to see him leave, however, but he truly deserves to be able to reach greater heights.

porto and sporting fans calling Luiz over rated...why am i not suprised... It would a very good signing, already a very good defender, with the potential to be world class, big fan of how he plays

Meh, you don't really know alot about football in Portugal... I am a Porto fan, and David Luiz is an AMAZING player, but 30 millions? LOL! Have you actually seen Otamendi playing for Porto? Daniel Carriço for Sporting CP? David Luiz isn't alot better then any of both. And i wouldn't be surprised if any of both ended up being better then David Luiz. Still, ****** amazing player, was the best in the league last year without a doubt but i think 30 million is still toooo much.

Last edited:
And if you know anything about Portugal, you'd know sporting fans always victimize themselves

Well, we are victims... 2 Championships, 1 cup and 1 league cup robbed from us in the past 5 seasons, but i dont wanna get into that, since its kinda OT.
I could also add a UEFA Cup. Most people dont talk about the latter, but in all honesty, the first CSKA goal comes from a goal kick that should have been a corner for Sporting.

Oh well, 'tis life

And if you know anything about Portugal, you'd know sporting fans always victimize themselves.

Meh... Last year you guys robbed the league , and now this year you complain about freaking penaltys.... when your Manager punched a player in the face? Seriously... :)

Meh, you don't really know alot about football in Portugal... I am a Porto fan, and David Luiz is an AMAZING player, but 30 millions? LOL! Have you actually seen Otamendi playing for Porto? Daniel Carriço for Sporting CP? David Luiz isn't alot better then any of both. And i wouldn't be surprised if any of both ended up being better then David Luiz. Still, ****** amazing player, was the best in the league last year without a doubt but i think 30 million is still toooo much.
meh i know plenty, i also know that you dont know enough about me to make that judgement, so reconsider before you tell me what i do and dont know. Luiz is better than both, by some way, though they have potential, and its not even 30 million, benfica want 21.5 million, which isnt that much when you consider its january, and benfica dont need to be a selling club.

Last edited:
LOL Surprise, surprise, Porto and Sporting fans brown nosing each other. Won't even answer the 'rob' bits, I think it's well known the history of corruption coming from Porto. At least Juve went down ;) As for Carriço being better than David, are you having a laugh? Name the skills Carriço has and David doesn't, this should be fun. And why the **** bringing Otamendi to the convo? He just came to Porto, what, you expected him to be sold for 20kk ++ right away?

Lol so many jealous/pathetic/clueless comments in this thread.

David Luiz has undoubted quality, and funnily enough it's only the rival clubs of Benfica picking holes in him. A centre back who is 'too aggressive'? Lol never though I'd hear that one. Vidic surely should get out of our league then? He's not exactly a fairy is he. You need to be aggressive in the Premier League, it's one of the most competitive leagues in the world. Call me stereotypical if you will but the few times I've watched Portuguese teams on the TV, like Braga, they are a bunch of absolute diving fairies who always look for a free kick and a booking to go with it.

Not all of them, but that's just my opinion. David Luiz isn't 'too aggressive', and he'll be worth the money.

As for Carriço being better than David, are you having a laugh? Name the skills Carriço has and David doesn't, this should be fun.

He's Portuguese, speaks Portuguese correctly, and doesn't play for Benfica. I've said that Luiz is a good player, just not worth 25 million. No centreback is worth over 10-15 million.

Well, we are victims... 2 Championships, 1 cup and 1 league cup robbed from us in the past 5 seasons, but i dont wanna get into that, since its kinda OT.
I could also add a UEFA Cup. Most people dont talk about the latter, but in all honesty, the first CSKA goal comes from a goal kick that should have been a corner for Sporting.

Oh well, 'tis life

Meh... Last year you guys robbed the league , and now this year you complain about freaking penaltys.... when your Manager punched a player in the face? Seriously... :)

@Halbard: Yeah, exactly what I'm talking about, you even claim you've been prejudiced on international cups. People may be biased towards their clubs (I sure am), but it doesn't prevent anyone to know the truth, and truth is, mistakes happen, the refs are human, and thus far from perfect. You'll always believe you're being prejudiced unless you acknowledge this.

@Blyndreaper Yeah. We robbed the league. It's not like we outplayed each and every team on the portuguese league. And truly, if I were a Porto fan, I'd know better than accuse others of cheating and stealing. (Youtube, Pinto da Costa, recorded conversations of Porto's president choosing referees and giving bribes) Besides, how many fake penalties has Hulk gotten this year?

Anyway, sorry for going off topic, best of luck for Luiz, and I'm sure come next year everyone will be heaping praise on him.

@Halbard: Yeah, exactly what I'm talking about, you even claim you've been prejudiced on international cups. People may be biased towards their clubs (I sure am), but it doesn't prevent anyone to know the truth, and truth is, mistakes happen, the refs are human, and thus far from perfect. You'll always believe you're being prejudiced unless you acknowledge this.

The truth is that Benfica won the league in 2004/05 due to a goal that should have been annuled, everyone could see that. And the referees human condition can't jeopardise the player's work on the pitch. Video ref would be a solution.

The truth is that Benfica won the league in 2004/05 due to a goal that should have been annuled, everyone could see that. And the referees human condition can't jeopardise the player's work on the pitch. Video ref would be a solution.

Ok mate, I clearly didn't get my point accross, and I don't feel like repeating myself.

And the players human condition doesn't properly make it easy for the referees as well. They jeopordize the referees' work in the same way.

Video ref would most likely kill football, and is an unrealistic ideal for the moment. You'd have tremendous costs, and would be next to impossible to implement in most leagues.

What is needed in Portugal, in my opinion, is better referee formation, and actually having professional refs, as for the moment, only those that are called for international duty have the pro status. And a change in mentality, emulating the more fluid english style of refereeing, would be greatly appreciated.

He's Portuguese, speaks Portuguese correctly, and doesn't play for Benfica. I've said that Luiz is a good player, just not worth 25 million. No centreback is worth over 10-15 million.

no centre backs are worth more then 10-15mil?? im sure the like of barca , real madrid ect would be happy to pay much more then that for say Vidic if he ever got put up for sale at utd because he is worth more imo as is a few more of the worlds best cbs and the centre backs are important players in football they help to prevent the opposition scoring its not like the stand on the pitch and do nothing all game.

Chelsea must be confident of the deal going through as we just let Paddy Van Aanholt go our on loan.

Back