Chelsea Story - A Stamford Bridge Legacy at Last

LIVE TEXT COMMENTARY - REFRESH FOR UPDATES
Barclays Premier League, Matchday 12
Barclays+Premier+League.png

CHELSEA 1 - 2 TOTTENHAM

11:45:
We're anticipating a great game this afternoon, and it's one of my favourite London derbies around. This game will always produce goals so I hope you're all as up for this one as I am!

11:53: Of course the biggest loss to today's game is Gareth Bale for Tottenham who is out for 5-6 weeks after pulling his hamstring on international duty. Harry Redknapp was not a happy chap to say the least: "We lose one of our best players at a critical stage to a match that effectively means nothing but what can I do; my hands are tied."

12:01: We've got teamsheets coming up for you now, and a few surprises in store:

Chelsea v Tottenham

Chelsea:
Cech, Ivanovic, Cole, Terry, Luiz, Mikel, Ramires, Lampard, Mata, Sturridge, Drogba. Subs: Turnbull, Ferreira, Meireles, Anelka, Alex, Malouda, Torres
Tottenham: Gomes, Assou-Ekotto, Anyukov, King, Gallas, Huddlestone, Parker, Modric, Lennon, van der Vaart, Adebayor. Subs: Friedel, Bassong, Kaboul, Sandro, Pavlyuchenko, Walker, Dawson

12:14: Well Tottenham go with Huddlestone on the left flank after losing Bale to injury and how key could that be to their chances. Lennon gets the nod on the right flank and will still be a problem for Ashley Cole to have to deal with.

12:23: The teams come out onto the pitch and the crowd have really got going now. There's a fine atmosphere here today and I'm expecting a fiery derby.

12:30:
_46175659_whistle_44.jpg
We're underway here at Stamford Bridge, with Chelsea kicking towards the Matthew Harding stand first half.

12:33: First chance for Tottenham on the break as Lennon speeds away following a Chelsea attack. He whips in a dangerous ball which Cech can't gather cleanly, but Cole does well to clear.

12:38: Tottenham doing much of the playing here at the moment as Adebayor holds the ball up superbly for Aaron Lennon, only for the winger to slam it into the side netting. Good chance.

12:40:
We've got a stoppage at Stamford Bridge now and it's bad news for Chelsea: Ashley Cole will have to come off after a lunging tackle by Aaron Lennon.

12:43: After some time, Cole is taken from the field of play and replaced by Paulo Ferreira. Will that change the game?

12:48: Drogba looking increasingly isolated up front for Chelsea at the moment. The Blues are knocking a few long balls his way but his flick-ons are wayward.

12:54: GOALFLASH Chelsea 0 - 1 Tottenham (Emmanuel Adebayor)

_46175646_net_buster_44.jpg
Tottenham goal:
Tottenham break the deadlock and it's that man Adebayor who rises highest to head home a Modric free kick.

12:59: PENALTY TO TOTTENHAM

13:00: GOALFLASH Chelsea 0 - 2 Tottenham (Rafael van der Vaart)

Tottenham goal:
Chelsea in big trouble now as they concede a second in the space of five minutes. Ramires is adjudged, perhaps harshly, to have pushed Gallas during a corner and van der Vaart steps up to double Tottenham's advantage.

13:03: GOALFLASH Chelsea 1 - 2 Tottenham (David Luiz)

Chelsea goal:
Game on. David Luiz scores his sixth goal of incredible debut season as he rises high to head home Mikel's delivery.

13:07: Daniel Sturridge has been quiet so far in this game but he does well here to break away wide on the right before cutting inside and slipping Drogba in but the Ivorian can't find the target.

13:13: Chelsea ending the half on a high as they start to find space on the wings at last. Mata whips in a great delivery and Sturridge is free at the back post but Gomes gets down well to hold his volley.

13:16: HALF TIME Chelsea 1 - 2 Tottenham

_46175652_ht_44x.jpg
Chelsea 1 - 2 Tottenham
We said there would be goals and we haven't been dissapointed thus far. Tottenham have been the better side and arguably deserve the lead but the Blues ended the half on a high after David Luiz's goal. Don't be surprised to see more in the second half.

13:30: We're back underway at the Bridge.

13:36: The Blues are on top at the moment and looking to level things. Drogba plays in Lampard who hits a stinger goalwards but Gomes does well to parry it away from danger.

13:41: Drogba hasn't really gotten into this game so far but he goes a whisker away with a free-kick here. Chelsea still on top.

13:47: So close to a second for David Luiz! Another whipped corner from Mikel finds him running in but his header just goes over the crossbar. It's coming.

13:53: Drogba's the next to go close as he is played in wonderfully by Lampard but his shot is parried well by Gomes. Florent Malouda comes on for the dissapointing Mata.

14:02: Agonising for Chelsea! Ramires holds the ball up well in midfield before setting Daniel Sturridge loose and he lets aim only to see it hit the crossbar and come down on the line.

14:15: FULL TIME Chelsea 1 - 2 Tottenham

_46175649_5live_44.jpg
BBC Radio 5 Live Commentator Ray Wilkins:
"Chelsea struggled to get going but I think they were unlucky with that penalty. They got back into the game thanks to Luiz but I thought they lacked in front of goal. Dissapointed by Drogba's performance."

13:21: Chelsea manager Illyroy: "It's a bad result for us. I don't think it reflects the manner of the performance at all because we were by far the better team but these things happen. I am mad about the penalty decision but we will move onto the next game and not dwell on this defeat."

13:26: So another twist in the title race as Tottenham become the first team to win at Stamford Bridge this season, or even score! Until next time.

Last edited:
Chelsea v Viktoria Plzen
Champions League Group H

27e0203a.jpg
viktoria_plzen_fotbal_znak_48.jpg

MATCH NEWS

Ashley Cole and David Luiz are both out having suffered injuries at the weekend against Tottenham. Romelu Lukaku is also a doubt.

MATCH PREVIEW

Chelsea can qualify from their group with a win against their Czech opponents this evening. Plzen are yet to amass a single point in this group so Chelsea go into the game as considerable favourites. With Chelsea down to their bare bones in terms of defenders, it will be interesting to see whether the Czech's can capitalise.

Illyroy said:
"We suffered a setback against Tottenham last time out and this is a chance for us to make amends and I am adamant the lads I send out today will be up to the task.
"We're dissapointed to be losing David Luiz for the next 3 weeks. He's been fantastic for us so far this season and with some big games coming up it will be much tougher for us without him. On the other hand it's a chance for the likes of Branna and Alex to come into the fold and impress me."

Chelsea 0 - 1 Viktoria Plzen
Tuesday 22nd November 2011
Champions League.png

3643243208-soccer-barclaycard-premiership-chelsea-v-liverpool-stamford-bridge.jpg

Chelsea players crowd round the referee after he awarded Plzen a 94th minute penalty

Chelsea were left baffled after losing to Czech minnows Plzen who will be delighted after being left with a slim, slim chance of qualifying for the next round. Chelsea dominated the chances and should have scored several goals, but they were punished in the 94th minute when Ryan Bertrand conceded a penalty.

Chelsea started with Anelka and Kalou up front and the two were lively, if wasteful in the first half. Kalou struck the post and forced a couple of saves out of Marek Cech whilst Anelka rounded the keeper before hitting the post himself.

Into the second half, Chelsea pressed with some urgency and could not believe they were not a goal ahead when Josh McEachran went one-on-one with the keeper only to hit the side netting.

It looked like Chelsea were going to have to settle for a dissapointing draw until late, late in the game when Ryan Bertrand challenged for a header and was adjudged to have pushed his man. He received his second yellow card and was dismissed to the fury of the Chelsea bench.

Kriz struck home the penalty to the joy of the travelling fans to conclude a quite incredible Champions League night at Stamford Bridge.

Illyroy said:
"It's two losses in a row but we have to look at it in the light that we have already qualified and a draw against Olympiakos will still be enough to win our group.
"On the other hand I'm dissapointed with the performance because we were lazy and complacent in front of goal and I thought we should have killed the game well before the end. It's a shame for Ryan as I thought he played well and did not deserve the red card."

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Bertrand, Ivanovic, Terry, Mikel, Meireles, Ramires (Lampard 71), McEachran (Mata 85), Anelka (Sturridge 65), Kalou
Subs: Turnbull, Malouda, Alex, Torres

Viktoria Plzen: Cech, Vanak, Cesinsky, Lamberskiy (Kopic 71), Brezinski, Fillio, Licka (Zizka 45), Pavelska (Just 76), Kolar, Kriz, Kraus
Subs: Dvorak, Sovis, Plachy, Vorel

Goalscorers: Kriz (pen 90+4)

Last edited: