Chris Hughton leaves Newcastle United

i seriously feel for newcastle fans. they just got promoted and were doing great then "boom" their manager was sacked :\

A collection of quotes from current and former players:

Kevin Nolan
We are all upset that Chris is going. He helped a lot of the lads here with their careers when he was a coach and then as manager. We will never forget our promotion from the Championship last season and we have to do what he told us. Stick together, make sure we keep the unity Chris has built up and get through this difficult period.

It goes without saying we were shocked by the announcement.

Chris was gutted about what had happened. You could see that, but it said so much about him that, even though he was obviously disappointed to be going, he was still telling me and Joey (Barton) that we had to make sure we had a good season. There was such dignity about the way he left, which is how he conducted himself while he was the manager.

Sol Campbell
This will hit the players hard, the players admired him and liked him and won't be happy now he's gone like this. It makes no sense. Here is a guy who has done an unbelievable job. He got the club back into the Premier League and any manager would have been rewarded for that with a new contract, but Chris wasn't.

The players are sure to be asking themselves, 'What the **** is going on?', that is only natural. When we left training this morning none of the players had a clue this was coming. Yes, it has come as a shock, and it will affect the dressing room there is no doubt about that.
Rob Lee
Nothing should amaze you at Newcastle United, but this is one thing that does. He's done a tremendous job to get the club out of the Championship and into the Premier League and he'd done very, very well up to this point.

I don't think he could have done anything more. They've beaten Arsenal away, they've had the biggest derby win for many years against Sunderland and they had a great result against Chelsea. They've had a few iffy results recently, but they've had a few players injured - Barton and Nolan have been out. If you look at it, the decision was probably made a little while ago when his contract talks stalled. They've probably been thinking about this for a while and decided they wanted someone more experienced in. Chris Hughton certainly couldn't have done any more.

Mike Ashley was beginning slowly but surely to get the club on a good footing and the fans were beginning to, perhaps not like him, but accept him and what he was doing. But I think this is another decision that will bewilder most Newcastle fans. He's probably taken one step forwards and a couple of steps back with the Newcastle fans. Maybe he knows what he's doing. Maybe he doesn't. Time will tell.

i actually saw this coming tbh, just didnt expect it to occur so soon. we were pretty inconsistant tbh, which could be the reason why he was fired, although i've got to admit that chris hughton did a great job for someone who is still inexperienced.

mike ashley has also done a marvellous job of causing us to get relegated in the first place and then continue to screw the club in a way or another. so long as he's the owner, we'll never achieve any honours. guess i'll be watching championship football again pretty soon.

Martin Jol has left the ajax job.....is this a clear sign that he is about to be appointed?!

I had my fingers crossed for martin o'neil, but....come to think of it, he will want assurances from the board that he can control transfers etc, which the fat controller will not allow, that and the fact that oneil he is a notourous mackem kind of rules him out.

I think jol is a dead cert now that he has left the ajax job.

Yeah, I reckon you'll get Jol. MON would be pretty good for you IMO, you've got a team that would suit him, with good crossers of the ball and one of the best target men in the Prem backed up by a relatively solid defence.

does anyone else have a strange feeling that Gordon Strachan will become the next Newcastle manager :P

I want Gazza and Albert in charge, might as well self-destruct (again) in style.

i wont defend this sacking houghton was fantastic for us wot more could ashley really expect than beating our local rivals 5-1 and getting results against top teams in the prem ashley should be relieved of position of chairman due to incompatance i want freddie sheppard back as chairman

i wont defend this sacking houghton was fantastic for us wot more could ashley really expect than beating our local rivals 5-1 and getting results against top teams in the prem ashley should be relieved of position of chairman due to incompatance i want freddie sheppard back as chairman
christ you must hate him if you want Fat Freddy back

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6559233,00.html

Alan Shearer claims he would be interested in the job the second time around, following Hughton's departure.

Surely he isn't in the running with little to know experience... or would Ashley be that Hypocritical.

It would be hypocritical, saying someone who has been coaching/assisting/managing since 1993 doesn't have enough experience, whilst a man with barely more experience than required to get his badges is the man for the job. It shouldn't happen, but not beyond the realm of possibility with lord of the pies in charge, anything to make us look stupid and give the papers messiah headlines.

Shepherd? Seriously? As much as I hate Ashley, at least he isn't financially running the club into the ground, had the Halls and Shepherd stuck around much longer we'd be in a similar state to Portsmouth.

Yeah, I reckon you'll get Jol. MON would be pretty good for you IMO, you've got a team that would suit him, with good crossers of the ball and one of the best target men in the Prem backed up by a relatively solid defence.

As long as its not pardew! rumour has it pardew, MA and llambias are close friends....it will be pretty much certain relegation if pardew is appointed.

It would be interesting to have jol at the helm.

Pardew = relegation
Jol = fighting for relegation
Hughton = Safe mid table position

Hughton was Jol's assistant at Spurs... I doubt that Jol would want to be the next Newcastle manager as it means he would be replacing his mate.

Nobody will want the job, just like when Hughton was first given it because nobody wanted it then either... nothing has changed so why MA would think he can attract a 'better' manager now is beyond me...

I still think that the Toon army should stay at home for a few weeks and let the team play in an empty stadium, MA might realise then that he is a total ******* ***... (don't hold your breath though ;) )

Shearer has ruled himself out. Realistically who'd want this job? I mean managers are judged on meeting certain goals- what are the objectives that the board will set for the new manager? They play decent football get results with the odd hammering here and there but nothing unexpected.

Supposedly Pardew is to be announced as manager today, can't find an original source other than a normally reliable twitterer.

Supposedly Pardew is to be announced as manager today, can't find an original source other than a normally reliable twitterer.
feel for you guys massively. pardew is a big step backwards if that happens.

I cannot see any justification, you have 19 points from 16 games, west brom have 3 more and di matteo is rightly lauded as a hero. Everton, liverpool birmingham, villa, all "bigger" sides, are below you. you probably need 15 points to stay up this season. and 20-24 would probably have you sniffing round europe.

Last edited:
There is no justification at all, I believe it's personal. I guess if he had some amazing Mourinho/Sir Alex-esque manager in the wings it'd be more understandable, but still shamefully conducted. We've had a dip in form whilst vital players have been suspended and/or injured, after a great start to the season.

Ashley has effectively turned the whole club and the fans against himself again.

José Enrique:
The fans are not happy, the players are not happy, it was a big surprise and we haven't been told a thing about why he left or who might come in.

We were all happy with Chris. He's a great person, he works really hard and we all wanted him to stay. He'll get a chance with a big club soon because he is a great manager. If they are going to fire someone as good as Chris, they have to then bring in a big name, someone who has won trophies. And that doesn't even mean he will necessarily be better. If they just bring in someone similar, it's a joke.

We don't have a team that belongs in the top six. It's not like we're low down in the table. Things are like this at this club. Strange things happen.

Supposedly Pardew being appointed tomorrow with Ray Lewington as assistant manager.

Back