Chris Hughton leaves Newcastle United

Ashley is a ***, simple as, but I've also heard that there has been a disagreement between Hughton and some players. And with the inconsistency of results, like a win away to arsenal, and then getting DESTROYED 5-1 by bolton, you can maybe see Ashley's point of view, but even then 11th in the table in December for a newly promoted team is a pretty respectable position

Anyway, nobody can change what happens now, so I think O'Neill should take the job, I know I'm a rangers fan as well, but he done well at Celtic, and turned Aston Villa from relegation fighters, to fighting for Europe.

Is Jol a good choice though? The Dutch league is quality wise, is not as good as the Premiership. And would Jol put up with what Houghton had to put up with, which was on more than one occassion, he couldn't pick the players he wanted for a match. And if Jol gets a pretty hefty contract, how will that affect the transfer kitty for newcastle, bearing in mind, Ashley said he want's to cut costs?

I recommend listening to the Calderwood and Carver interviews found here and here for a bit of insight into the goings on in the club.

Martin Jol has just left Ajax by Mutual Constent... Next Newcastle manager... 5/4 lol

Looks like Newcastle is targeting a top 8 finish. All I say is they need to get their **** sorted and be more REALISTIC. Hats off to Hughton for doing an excellent job this season.

Looks like Newcastle is targeting a top 8 finish. All I say is they need to get their **** sorted and be more REALISTIC. Hats off to Hughton for doing an excellent job this season.

Did not deserve to be sacked, should have been given cash to strengthen more.

Can't believe this. Really can't.

I know, big shock.

Did not deserve to be sacked, should have been given cash to strengthen more.

I know, big shock.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope you get a good manager that can keep the results up.

I think it's an appalling description. For the man who brought the team into the prem and up to 11th, who didn't even know every week if he had a job as he was on a temp contract they could be graceful and wait till the end of the season.

I was out all day, and got back and saw it and couldn't believe it. What kind of stupid-*** system is Ashley running, in which a manager who took over a club in crisis, trimmed it down, fleshed it out, stabilised it, utterly destroyed the Championship, beat some established Prem clubs like Arsenal, trashed some others like Villa, are currently 12th in the table as a promoted side and best of all for Toon fans smacked Sunderland 5-1?

This isn't a viable business model. Who's he going to replace him with? Jol? Fine, Jol's a good manager. But I'll tell you this, he won't do any better than Hughton, and for a far fatter paycheck.

As a Sunderland supporter I should be taking great delight in this ... but I am appalled in all honesty. I apologise in advance for what I think could be a long and rambling post.

We all know that there is no such thing as loyalty in football any more but look at what Hughton has achieved so far. Champions of the championship - alright, but it is a very hard division to get out of ... they were lucky that the squad stayed with them ... thanks in no small part to Chris Hughton.

First season back up, everyone expected them to struggle. They thrash Villa 6-0, gave us a lesson in heart and desire 5-1 beat Everton, Chelsea and Arsenal 0-1, 3-4 and 0-1 respectively - all three away from St. Jamse's

The only criticism is their lack of consistency, but that would come in time ... Bad defeats against Stoke and Blackpool at home were capped with a disastrous result 5-1 defeat, against Bolton and a 3-1 loss to West Brom - both away, unfortunately sealed his fate.

In all honesty he could motivate the team against bigger clubs but fell short against the so-called 'lesser lights' This charge could be levelled against a good 60% of premier managers, if not right the way down the lower league structure.

This sacking leaves a very bad taste in the mouth of all real football supporters, showing how a poor chairman, one who supposedly interferes in team matters and tells managers how to do their job. Now from someone like Kenny Dalgleish ... you could accept that ... after all the man has been there and done that, but from a glorified barrow-boy ... do me a favour!

Newcastle fans may be looking for the likes of Martin Jol, Matin O'Neill and so on ... but the fear has to be that someone like Alan Pardew will step in on the cheap and totally undermine the good base set up by Hughton. Could you realistically see any 'top' manager accepting any interference from the boardroom - beiing honest the answer has to be a resounding no.

Looking out from the current troubles, I am left wondering if the bubble has reached bursting point here ... is this proud yet deprived area simply the first footballing casualty of the global financial crisis. One where players who command obscenely massive wages in comparison to the man in the street and so forth ... hmmm I wonder. Was Roy Keane's rant against the prawn sandwich brigade the foreshadowing of things to come?

So rather than gloating in the events up the road ... I see this as the thin end of the wedge - where football may yet be returned to the people.

Finally a csutionary note. What Newcastle fan would be up in arms if Chris Hughton were to be replaced by someone of the sort of standing of Jose Mourinho ... I think that we are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. Maybe Ashley has a master plan in place and like the Good Lord, he moves in mysterious ways ... Yeah I know it's more likely that FIfa will recant and give the 2022 world cup to us instead of Qatar, 99% guaranteed that it will not happen, but it IS possible .... maybe?

Hey, still. This does free up Hughton for England manager, come to think of it...

I wonder what the odds are on the next Newcastle manager being sacked before the end of the season?

Martin Jol has left the ajax job.....is this a clear sign that he is about to be appointed?!

I had my fingers crossed for martin o'neil, but....come to think of it, he will want assurances from the board that he can control transfers etc, which the fat controller will not allow, that and the fact that oneil he is a notourous mackem kind of rules him out.

I think jol is a dead cert now that he has left the ajax job.

Martin Jol has left the ajax job.....is this a clear sign that he is about to be appointed?!

I had my fingers crossed for martin o'neil, but....come to think of it, he will want assurances from the board that he can control transfers etc, which the fat controller will not allow, that and the fact that oneil he is a notourous mackem kind of rules him out.

I think jol is a dead cert now that he has left the ajax job.

Jol and Hughton worked together at Tottenham, I'd imagine Hughton would warn Jol away from working under the tyrannical Lord of the Pies.

Back