Civ V

Steam's a son of a *****. The game came today, but both me and my brother want to play it, except it can only be activated with 1 steam account and this can only be logged in at one place. So how might I get around this

A Crack from TPB?

Go offline mode.

If you have ever played the total war games it's like the campaign map on that but in more depth (and without the huge battles). ONE MORE TURN! i think lee may have proved this right....

OK I found out what offline mode is, I don't tend to use steam unless I have to (only for the Orange box).
Does using offline mode still mean you have to be logged in when you play?

OK I found out what offline mode is, I don't tend to use steam unless I have to (only for the Orange box).

Me and my brother did it, it's fine, but you can't play against each other as you still have the same game codes.

Yes, but as the name suggests, Steam won't send data to the servers. Steam will be running, of course, but it is a really light application and won't hog your resources. In the offline mode, you could disable the LAN, pull out your lan cord or have your internet connection lost for a long time. It wouldn't matter.

My suggestion is that you use Steam's offline mode instead of any shady stuff. I do that a lot and I have had no problems whatsoever :)

I gather that you liked it oO)

Yeah it was alright, I'm still a complete noob though. So really glad it's turn based and not real-time or I'd get creamed. I'm only playing it on the 3rd lowest difficulty, will try my next one a bit higher up and see how it goes.

You loser.

I did the same. 8-|

:wub:

Yes, but as the name suggests, Steam won't send data to the servers. Steam will be running, of course, but it is a really light application and won't hog your resources. In the offline mode, you could disable the LAN, pull out your lan cord or have your internet connection lost for a long time. It wouldn't matter.

My suggestion is that you use Steam's offline mode instead of any shady stuff. I do that a lot and I have had no problems whatsoever :)

So you can't be logged in on two computers at the same time?

Yeah it was alright, I'm still a complete noob though. So really glad it's turn based and not real-time or I'd get creamed. I'm only playing it on the 3rd lowest difficulty, will try my next one a bit higher up and see how it goes.

Haha, you're still a n00b! Not because you are playing on the third difficulty level but because you (probably) don't remember its name yet. You need "intensive training" in this category ;)

Lame joke aside, I think you are doing great if you have already breached the 3rd difficulty level. Although I have to say that if someone can manage to be an expert in a game like FM, Civ should be easy to apporoach.

Be sure to make of the in-game Civilopedia wherever required and if you need any help on strategy and concepts, there is this great site which will help you alot:

http://www.civfanatics.com/

So you can't be logged in on two computers at the same time?

Yes, you can be logged in on two computers. It is just that one of those PCs should be running that Steam account in offline mode. If one account is running in online mode and another logs in (online mode), the first PC user will be disconnected. I hope that clarifies it.

Well everything's working fine atm, if I ever want to play online I'll just restore the backups.

Well everything's working fine atm, if I ever want to play online I'll just restore the backups.

Lol, everytime you ask a question and when I answer you pour cold water over my head <)

It is ultimately your wish, but I don't understand why you won't use Steam's offline mode instead of the shady stuff. A lot of people do that all the time and are fine with that. I think I have an inkling - you are used to the old DVD and completely offline system and just don't trust or want to use the online/offline stuff. Fair point - I used to think like that too. Until I had so many Steam games that all of them couldn't fit into one window :P

Lol, everytime you ask a question and when I answer you pour cold water over my head <)

It is ultimately your wish, but I don't understand why you won't use Steam's offline mode instead of the shady stuff. A lot of people do that all the time and are fine with that. I think I have an inkling - you are used to the old DVD and completely offline system and just don't trust or want to use the online/offline stuff. Fair point - I used to think like that too. Until I had so many Steam games that all of them couldn't fit into one window :P

1. There's nothing wrong with so-called 'shady stuff', no problems for me anyway
2. Steam is ****, unless I'm playing Orange Box
3. I don't plan on playing online any time soon, nobody I know has it, and I'm **** at it anyway :)

Anybody got a guide on how I'd go about winning by Cultural/Diplomatic/Scientific victory? Domination is straight forward, but when I try for the other ones I'm a little unsure what I should be focusing on.

I'm a huge fan. Bought this when it came out and have been putting aside my FM save and play CIV V lol. I'm really digging the hexagonal tiles. I also love the fact it has much more cultures to choose compared to IV.

Anybody got a guide on how I'd go about winning by Cultural/Diplomatic/Scientific victory? Domination is straight forward, but when I try for the other ones I'm a little unsure what I should be focusing on.

A science victory is researching all the technologies and then using the later ones to build a space rocket. you win if you are the first. Cultural is if you can get all the policies for a policy tree for 5 different trees. (Utopia victory, there is a bar saying how far along you are for it in the bottom right when you are choosing a new policy to unlock). when you click on your cities you can select 'manual citizen allocation' for a square inside the cultural zone for that city or you can get the computer to choose the squares that will give you the most of the desired trait (e.g. if you want more production from a city you choose the production option and then the computer will choose to work the squares that will give you the most production). more citizens being born allows more squares to be used at the same time. Hope this helps lee

So if I was going for Science/Cultural/Diplomatic do I still need to build a military? Or is it possible to get other nations to protect me etc.?

Also say I have a city with a population of 5, is it worth improving more than 5 tiles? Do I get any benefit from this or is it just a waste of production/gold/etc?

For a scientific victory, it's vital to have a couple of cities with high production output - so the Spaceship pieces (5 or 6 in all) are quicker to build, otherwise it is a pain in the ***. Also, try to make these cities as close to your capital as possible (Including your capital, if you'd like) as you need to transport the parts to assemble them (I speak from Experience, it wasn't that fun transporting the engine from Australia to France).

For a cultural victory (Which I have also managed), you want to lean towards as many wonders and cultural buildings as possible (In particular, the Broadcast tower - when unlocked with the Radio technology). Doing this, I had a cultural output in my capital city of more than 200 per turn, with around 600+ per turn overall.

Last edited:
So if I was going for Science/Cultural/Diplomatic do I still need to build a military? Or is it possible to get other nations to protect me etc.?

Also say I have a city with a population of 5, is it worth improving more than 5 tiles? Do I get any benefit from this or is it just a waste of production/gold/etc?

You can either build your own military, or befriend Militaristic City-States to provide units for you. Most of the time, alliances, or 'pacts' with other nations rarely leads to them protecting you. I'd personally go ally with 1-2 Militaristic City States, which will then allow you to focus your full production on the victory conditions you want, i.e. building wonders for cultural victory.

The benefit to improving multiple tiles in your cities is that you can then switch the focus pretty easily. Obviously your population can't work all of the tiles at once, but if you want to remain focused on food for a time, and then switch to production to finish off construction of a wonder, you can change the allocation much quicker than having to then build all of the improvements from scratch.

The downfall to this, as you know, is the upkeep for tiles that go unused. I personally only improve the ones I am using, as I don't like paying unnecessary upkeep.

Back