Civ V

Isn't it only roads and railroads that cost gold to maintain?

If you're rich, you can get the policies that make purchasing cheaper, and buy your army should you need one.

Roads and railroads cost the most to maintain, because they span multiple tiles, but quite sure that improvements cost gold too.

I could be wrong. I will check the next time I am on the game.

'While defending, your Tank was destroyed by a Persian Longswordsman.'

whoops

is it wrong to get satisfaction out of killing barbarian brutes with a modern tank?

Isn't it only roads and railroads that cost gold to maintain?

If you're rich, you can get the policies that make purchasing cheaper, and buy your army should you need one.

You are right. I just checked, and the improvements I have built don't cost any upkeep.

Not really sure what the disadvantage to just improving every tile is then.

You are right. I just checked, and the improvements I have built don't cost any upkeep.

Not really sure what the disadvantage to just improving every tile is then.

I think it's just a time factor, and probably that you would need multiple workers to be able to build tile improvements whenever your borders expand (Which obviously means you will have to spend time making workers instead of another production). Those are the only negatives I can spot.

This sounds quite good, may have to try this out. Seems very much like Age of Empires to me, which was a classic.

This sounds quite good, may have to try this out. Seems very much like Age of Empires to me, which was a classic.

I don't think a worthwhile comparison can be made between the two series due to the fact that one is an RTS and the other is a Turn based Strategy game...

I don't think a worthwhile comparison can be made between the two series due to the fact that one is an RTS and the other is a Turn based Strategy game...

Yeah, but it is a similar story, as you go from the dawn of time until the space age, waging war and so on. The type of game is different, but the idea of the game is similar.

Just to note, although improvements don't cost maintenance, buildings within your city do, such as Barracks, Granary, etc.

Yeah, but it is a similar story, as you go from the dawn of time until the space age, waging war and so on. The type of game is different, but the idea of the game is similar.

I prefer to think of it more like the total war games campaign map. have you played those? Civ is basically a more indepth version of that and obviously without the huge battles. It is more complicated than AOE

'While defending, your Tank was destroyed by a Persian Longswordsman.'

whoops

Wait till that happens with a spearman. Or a warrior :P

Anybody got a guide on how I'd go about winning by Cultural/Diplomatic/Scientific victory? Domination is straight forward, but when I try for the other ones I'm a little unsure what I should be focusing on.

Science Victory: You achieve a science victory by learning the necessary technologies to create all of the pieces of the space ship, then building the parts and moving them to your current capital (or building them there in the first place). Incidentally, space ship parts cannot be rushed or purchased. They must be constructed in a city.

Cultural Victory: To win a cultural victory, you must acquire five complete “branches” of social policies – that is, you must own all policies within six different branches. Once you’ve done that, the “Utopia Project” is unlocked. Construct that project and you win a cultural victory. You cannot rush or purchase this project; it must be constructed.

Diplomatic Victory: When a player learns the “Globalization” technology, he or she can construct the United Nations. Once that is constructed, a vote will be taken every few turns for the position of World Leader. If a leader gets enough votes to win the position, he or she immediately wins a diplomatic victory. The amount of votes needed to win a diplomatic victory depends upon the number of civilizations in play at the start of the game.

So if I was going for Science/Cultural/Diplomatic do I still need to build a military? Or is it possible to get other nations to protect me etc.?

Also say I have a city with a population of 5, is it worth improving more than 5 tiles? Do I get any benefit from this or is it just a waste of production/gold/etc?

The AI in Civ 5 is very aggressive. If you do not have a standing military, then you are asking for trouble. Even gandhi will probably invade you (6)

It takes a few turns to improve a tile, so you may want to plan ahead so that your extra population added won't be working unproductive tiles. Otherwise, there is no benefit or loss, AFAIK.

I have a few links to Guides/Walkthroughs:

Sulla's learn as you play walkthroughs (very popular, plus he usually has insider info):
http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/civ5SP.html

Tiles, Resources and Improvements - A guide to explaining Yields

I just got a Culture Victory playing as Ghandi, whilst also undergoing the 'One City Challenge'. A Culture Victory seems to be the only way to win during an OOC, as the lack of expansion really hinders your military, and doesn't allow you to make anywhere near enough money or science to compete elsewhere either.

Managed it by turn 2042, so very close indeed. Ghandi is definitely the way to go for an OOC.

Back