Clube Atlético Mineiro- Continuing Traditions

bdearaujo

Reaction score
Hello fellow members, This is my first ever FM story and I am hoping that this story will entertain you. As a member that loves to read FM stories, I notice that there weren't any South American stories and I thought what better way to start my first story by writing in a different place. Also I'm hoping this story will help me maintain a long-term save (As I tend to get bored after the 3rd season). Anyways....

The team that I will be writing is a club that I truly support and my family has been supporting this team for generations.
Also I apologize for this long first post.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 289138

Clube Atlético Mineiro, commonly known "Atlético" and nicknamed as Galo (Rooster), is a Brazilian multisport club based in Lourdes, a bairro nobre (noble/high class neighborhood) in the city of Belo Horizonte. Although they compete in a number of different sports, Atlético is mostly known for its football team. It plays in the Campeonato Mineiro, the State of Minas Gerais's premier state league, as well as the Brasileirão, the top tier of the Brazilian football league system.

The club was founded on March 25, 1908 by 22 Belorizontino students, being led by Margival Mendes Leal and Mário Toledo as a response to the social discrimination practiced by many clubs elsewhere in Brazil. Despite being founded by upper class founders, the club opened its doors to everyone regardless of social class, quickly establishing itself as a "people's club". As a result, the club has the most supporters in the city and the largest supporters in the state. Atlético is also the oldest club of Belo Horizonte. Atlético play their home games at the Estádio Independência, better known as the Independência, which currently holds up to 23,018 spectators. Atlético's regular kit is black and white striped shirts, with black shorts, accompanied by white socks.

Atlético Mineiro is one of Brazil's most successful clubs, having won the Brasileirão in 1971, while also finishing runners-up on four occasions. They have won the Campeonato Mineiro 42 times, being the record-holders as the most successful club in that competition. Atlético is also the best performing club of the Copa CONMEBOL (now Copa Sudamericana) winning in 1992 and 1997 and finalists in 1995. They also won the Copa Libertadores in 2013 with a star-laden squad featured players such as Bernard, Diego Tardelli, Jô, Victor and Ronaldinho, and became the 10th Brazilian club to win it. Recently in 2014, the club has won its first Recopa Sudamericana and its first Copa do Brasil (Brazilian Cup).

View attachment 289087 View attachment 289086View attachment 289085

Some of Atlético biggest highlights was a 1950 tour across Europe which the club faced 10 European teams with the record of 6 wins, 2 loss and 2 ties, winning such as TSV 1860 Munchen, Hamburger SV and RSC Anderlecht; thus winning the title Campeão do Gelo (Ice Champion). In 1969, the club beat the Brazilian National Team, the same squad that ended up winning the 1970 World Cup, won 2-1. The 1970s-80s, the club had one of the greatest squad in Brazil thus having the best record in the Brazilian Championship in (77, 80, 83, 85) but due to political and arbitration scandals prevented Atlético to win.

They also have many key and famous players that played in Brazil's squads such as Dario, Reinaldo, Luizinho, Toninho Cerezo, Éder, Elzo, Cláudio Taffarel, Gilberto Silva, Diego Alves, Diego Tardelli, Ronaldinho, Jô, Victor, and Bernard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The club plays at Estádio Independência, which is owned by America Mineiro and has the capacity of 23,000.

View attachment 289084

Occasionally, they will play at Estádio Mineirão (owned by the state and mainly used by Cruzeiro), in case of a Cup final.

View attachment 289082

Cidade do Galo is the club training facilities, it regards as on the best training ground in Brazil and was recently used as Argentina training ground during the 2014 World Cup

View attachment 289081

Atlético Mineiro biggest rivalry is Cruzeiro is widely-known as the Classico Mineiro (Mineiro Classic) in Brazil

View attachment 289069

Overall: 487 games
Atlético Mineiro: 198 wins and 696 goals
Cruzeiro: 161 wins and 618 goals
128 draws

The Club other rivalry are America Mineiro

View attachment 289064

and Flamengo

View attachment 289063
The next post will be the club's Honour and season goals and the post after that will be overview of the team and its key players.

Hopefully you guys will enjoy it​

Last edited:
Clube Atlético Mineiro Honours

(Bold Years- won during the story)
Worldwide
View attachment 271093FIFA Club World CupThird Place (1)- 2013
Continental
View attachment 288991Copa LibertadoresWinner (1)- 2013
Runner-up (1)- 2016
View attachment 288990Copa CONMEBOL/Copa SudamericanaWinner (2)- 1992, 1997
Runner-up (1)- 1995
View attachment 288989Recopa SudamericanaWinner (1)- 2014
Domestic
View attachment 288988Brasileirão Serie AWinner (2)-1971, 2016
Runner-up (5)- 1977, 1980, 1999, 2012, 2015
View attachment 288987Copa Do BrasilWinner (1)- 2014
View attachment 288986Brasileirão Serie BWinner (1)- 2006
Regional
View attachment 288985Campeonato MineiroWinner (45)- 1915, 1926, 1927, 1931, 1932, 1936, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1962, 1963, 1970, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
Runner-up (34)-
1916, 1917, 1918, 1921, 1928, 1929, 1934, 1935, 1940, 1943, 1944, 1948, 1951, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2014

Other now-Defunct honours: Copa de Oro runner-up 1993; Copa Master de CONMEBOL runner-up in 1996; Champion Cup winner in 1937 (FBF), 1974 (FMF), and 1978 (CBD); Taca Minas Gerais winner in 1975, 1976, 1979, 1986, and 1987; Taca Belo Horizonte winner in 1970, 1971, and 1972; Initium Tournment winner in 1928, 1931, 1932, 1939, 1947, 1949, 1950, and 1954; Incentives Tournment winner in 1993; Belo Horizonte Cup winner in 1959; and Bueno Brandao Cup winner in 1914

Game Goals
Goals that I want to try to achieve in this story:
-Build and own a new stadium for the club
-Hold the record for most Brasileirao Serie A title (Santos and Palmeiras- 8) (Currently 2)
-Hold the record for Copa Libertadores titles (Independiente- 7) (Currently 1)
-Hold the record for most International title (Al-Ahli- 20; Real Madrid, Boca Juniors, and AC Milan- 18) (Currently 4)
-Have the highest reputation in South America (Corinthans- 2016) (Currently 2nd)
-Have the highest reputation in the World (Real Madrid- 2016) (Currently 31st)
-Become the richest team in the World (£1.21 Billion Arsenal- 2016) (Currently 69th- £71 Million)

Season Goals

2015 Season
-Win Campeonato Mineiro (Success)
-Challenge for Brasileirao Serie A title (Success finished 2nd)
-Reach finals in Copa Libertadores (Failed Lost in Quarterfinals)
- Copa Do Brasil- Reach Finals (Failed Lost in 4th Round)

2016 Season
-Win
Brasileirão Serie A (Success)
-Win Copa Libertadores (Failed- Lost in Finals)
-Win Copa do Brasil (Failed- Lost in Semifinals)

2017 Season
-Win Brasileirão Serie A
-Win Copa Libertadores
-Win Copa do Brasil

Last edited:
Atletico Mineiro- 2015 Preseason

As start my new life as manager of Clube Atletico Mineiro, I walk in the training ground, take a deep breath of fresh air and I look at my new squad. By the reaction of them, some are excited to start the new season with a new coach and others are like "Who's the new guy".

Looking at the squad, I'll show you the players in each position.

Goalkeeper
View attachment 289010

Leftbacks
View attachment 289009

Rightbacks
View attachment 289008

Central Defenders
View attachment 289007

Midfielders
View attachment 289005

Attacking Midfielders
View attachment 289004

Wingers
View attachment 289003

Strikers
View attachment 289002

The position that needs an improvement is the leftback which I am not happy about. With the recent sale of our Captain Rever (Central Defender) to Internacional, I'm hoping that Jemerson step up on the field. Same with our wingers with the sale of Diego Tardelli to Shanglong, I'm hoping Luan will continue his form from last year Copa do Brasil cup run.

Now Key player for the team are:

Lucas Pratto
View attachment 289001

Jesus Datolo

View attachment 289000

Leonardo Silva
View attachment 288999

Victor
View attachment 288998

These 4 players will be an important part of our club if we want to win Copa Libertadores, Copa do Brasil, and Brasileirao

For young and exciting players that will be a core part of our future or make us a profit if we ever decide to sell, they are:

Dodo
View attachment 288997

Lucas Candido
View attachment 288996

Jemerson
View attachment 288995

Carlos
View attachment 288994

Now the formation that I will be using is a 4-2-3-1 wide, which uses the team strengths.

View attachment 288993

Next post will be part 2 of this preseason (will release sometime tomorrow)​

Clube Atlético Mineiro- Preseason part 2

Our friendly fixtures before the start of the
Campeonato Mineiro will be

View attachment 288795

As much as these friendlies aren't to important, I'm still hoping to get a great result against Estudiantes as their are the Argentinians versions of us.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the foreign transfer window opens for Brasil, 2 new signings arrive at Cidade do Galo this morning.

Diego Lugano
View attachment 288792View attachment 288791

Looking at his stats, its really not the great but at £3,000 a week, the Uruguayan International and 2005 Copa Libertadores winner can help out Leonardo Silva with the pressure in the back 4 and help mentor the young players.

Junior Cesar
View attachment 288783View attachment 288782

Junior Cesar is back for a second spell for the club after being release by Botafogo at the end of the last year relegated campaign. As player that played really well in the 2012 and 2013 seasons including a Copa Libertadores win in 2013, he's a player that is very familiar with the club and help improve the leftback position.

Friendly results
View attachment 288758

The first friendly against Peruvian side Melgar was a great game for the players in terms of fitness and the result was expected. Unfortunately, loanee Rafael Carioca slight knock but is fit for next match.

The 2nd match against Argentinian's Argentinos Juniors (famously for developing Maradona and Riquelime) ended in a loss. Its always tough when facing an Argentinian club but since I placed a weaken team, I won't blame them as they played well.

The final friendly is against the Argentinian Giants' Estudiantes which ended as a win. Great result and players played very good.

Now that the friendlies are over, I feel like the is ready for competition. Up next, Campeonato Mineiro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next post will be a brief explanation of the states championships, the goals of this competition, and the draw for Libertadores

Clube Atlético Mineiro- February

Now that the friendlies are over now we can focus on the State championships. A brief overview:

Brazil State Championship

State football leagues in Brazil are football leagues competed in each of the 26 states of Brazil and in the Federal District. Due to their long tradition, they are highly regarded, and are almost as important as the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. Historically, because of economical or geographical issues, the long distances between important cities of the country made the Brazilian people develop a strong competitive culture within the states. So, each Brazilian state has its own state championship. As of recently, most of the state championships start in January/ Feburary and conclude in early May.

Due to these competitions, some matches between rival clubs of the same state or city have a similar or bigger importance than an interstate match between two important clubs. Some examples are Flamengo-Fluminense (Fla-Flu), in Rio de Janeiro; Corinthians-Palmeiras and Santos-Sao Paulo (San-São) in São Paulo; Atlético-Cruzeiro in Minas Gerais; Naútico-Sport in Pernambuco; Gremio-Internacional (Gre–Nal) in Rio Grande do Sul; Atletico PR-Coritiba (Atle-Tiba) in Paraná; Bahia-Vitoria (Ba-Vi) in Bahia etc. The Campeonato Paulista, which started in 1902, is the oldest football competition in Brazil.

The state champions and, in some states, the runners-up, are automatically qualified to play in the following year's Copa do Brasil. Also, the best placed clubs of each state which are not competing the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A, Série B or Série C qualify to the same year's Série D.

Since Atletico Mineiro resides in Minas Gerais, we will playing in Campeonato Mineiro.

View attachment 288715

Another quick explanation about Campeonato Mineiro: there are 12 teams that compete in a single round fixture so after the 11 games are played, the top 4 teams qualify to the knockout stage. The knockout stage is seeded by 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd. The only difference about this knockout phase is that there are no away goals and extra time. If after both legs the score ends in a tie, teams that finish higher in the standing will either qualify to the finals or win the title (if in finals). Also the bottom 2 team are relegated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our fixture for this year championship will be:

View attachment 288714

And WOW WOW WOW and WOW. I cannot believe that the first competitive game of the year will be against our fiercest rival. But for this next 2 posts I only going to focus on February fixtures (and one Copa Libertadores match which I'll post later).

View attachment 288713

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next post will be the Classico Mineiro match​

The Brazilian league system is pretty fascinating. Might venture into it someday.

Clube Atlético Mineiro- February Part 2

Today is the day, we are set for our first competitive match of the story and WHAT A START that we will have. It the Classico Mineiro between Clube Atlético Mineiro and Cruzeiro Esporte Clube.

View attachment 288575

The match will be played at home so there will be plenty of Galo supporters cheering us on. As for safety reasons as organized fans from both clubs will clash with each other, the game will only feature Galo supporters in the stands.

As kick off is right around the corner, we see the Estádio Independência packed for an very contested match.

View attachment 288574

Here are your line-ups for the match:

View attachment 288569View attachment 288568

Looking at the Cruzeiro squad, the only concern that I'm going to only is Leandro Damiao scoring ability.

As the officials are kicking ready, both teams are getting into position.

Cruzeiro will start the game.

*TWEET*

0th minute:
Kickoff

9th minute: Luan goes down the wing, beating Seymour, but Williams goes a tackles him. The ref stop plays and show Williams a Yellow Card.

22nd minute: Leandro Damiao passes the ball to Marquinhos but Leonardo Silva stops him and fouls him. Yellow Card for Silva.

25th minute: Josue beats Seymour and gives it to Pratto. Pratto then finds Datolo and play the ball to him. Datlol beats Dede and tries to find Pierre but Williams defects the ball and ends up with Josue. Josue finds Cardenas. Cardenas shoots. GOOOOOOL. The Colombian scores in his debut for Galo which makes it 1-0 for Atletico Mineiro.

View attachment 288552

28th minute: Yellow card for Mena after tackling Luan.

Half-time: Scores in 1-0 Atletico after a well placed shot by Cardenas. No substitution for both teams.

2nd half: Atletico will start. *TWEET*

50th minute: Henrique fouls Datolo and receives a Yellow

51st minute:
Mena crosses the ball to the penalty area. Marco Rocha fails to header at clear and Alisson header to the net. Victor clears it but the ball lands in front of Leandro Damiao and he puts it in the open net. GOOOOOOOL. Cruzeiro ties the game 1-1.

View attachment 288547

56th minute: Lucas Pratto tries to beat Manoel but is taken down. Yellow Card for Manoel.

73rd minute: Maicosuel replaces Datolo.

81st minute: The tired Josue is subbed off and in the field is Leandro Donizete. Great game of Josue as he assisted in the Cardenas goal.

83rd minute: Josue passes the ball to Cardenas which he immediately is fouled by Mayke. Yellow Card.

90th minute: Pratto goes out and Jo comes in.

92nd minute: Pierre passes to Cardenas who shoot the ball. Fabio pushes away and lands in front of Jo. Jo with the open net....... MISSES!!!!!!! OH HOW DID HE MANAGE TO DO THAT.

View attachment 288538

94th minute: The official ends the game.

Final Score:

View attachment 288545View attachment 288543
View attachment 288542

We had a great game, unfortunately with Jo inability to score on a open net cost us the extra 2 points but overall I'm happy for my first competitive game as manager and even more so that we didn't lose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next post will the rest of February and the Copa Libertadores draw. I will be doing for my future posts as a monthly review with the expectation of Cup finals or Very Important games.​

Last edited:
Two great updates.

Keep it up :)

Thanks for the support! As a first time writer, am I writing too much or not writing enough? Just wanted some feedback as I would love to improve my abilities and one day match Brendn and Lippo. :p

The Brazilian league system is pretty fascinating. Might venture into it someday.

Trust me, Its a VERY fun league to play in. Especially when there are more than 10 clubs that can win the league every season.

great start of this story, brazilian leagues are fun to play in FM - and to watch irl :)

made one quick edit in the match (I forgot to post a picture)

Clube Atlético Mineiro- February Part 3

In other news around Brazil:

The first casualty in the manager industry was the sacking of Fluminense manager's Cristovao Borges after a poor preseason and a tie against Serie D's Volta Redonda in Campeonato Carioca.

Tupi Football Club vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 288534

It was an expected win for us especially against a 3rd Division team. I put a weaker team after the Classico last match. Jo redeemed himself after missing an open net last match with 2 goals and a Man of the Match award.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Guarani Esporte Clube

View attachment 288533
View attachment 288532

Great game for Loanee Cesinha with the hat-trick against the Guarani. The game was also highlighted with a beauiful freekick goal by Marion. The result should better higher as the ball met the post 3 times. Maybe the Football gods were trying to help the non-division team.

Injury news:

View attachment 288510
Our Captain Leonardo Silva is been injured in training with a hip injury and is out for 4-5 months. Big loss, may need to get CB loan

Manager News:
Fluminense have appointed former Argentina Manager Alejandro Sabella as their new manager until Dec 2017.

View attachment 288506

Today is the day of the Copa Libertadores group stage draw. As all of South America watch this event live in Bueno Aires in Argentina. Atletico Mineiro is in 3rd pot.

View attachment 288500

The Draw has ended and the clubs that were drawn to Group E are Clube Atlético Mineiro from Brazil, Barcelona Sporting Club from Ecuador, Club Libertad from Paraguay, and Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro from Argentina.

View attachment 288477

View attachment 288485

My thoughts on this group is that we should be able to qualify but anytime there an Argentinian team in the same group, you know that it will be a very contested match. I also cannot not rule out Barcelona as they are one of the biggest in Ecuador and are looking to be the 2nd ever Ecuadorian team to win the competition.

The fixture of the group stage are:

View attachment 288465

The other groups were:
View attachment 288480

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Villa Nova Atlético Clube

View attachment 288473

Jo had a Fantastic game here as he's trying to apologize to the fan after that open miss. I believe the forgive him at this point.

I'm going to have to apologize to the viewers and to Villa Nova here. This scoreline is not does not reflect on the fact the club is a powerhouse. Campeonato Mineiro is basically a two team championship (Atletico Mineiro and Cruzeiro) and the occasional America Mineiro. I don't what people to think that this story is bad but this is the reality on this league.

União Recreativa dos Trabalhadores vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 288463

Compare to last match, the goal scoring slowed down a bit with a very good URT defense. But we manage to win and remain undefeated along with Cruzeiro, America Mineiro and Tombense.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it's the first Copa Libertadores game and its Brazil vs Argentina.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro

View attachment 288448

And Brazil wins. But the game was closer than the scoreline inticates. We got lucky with the 2 penalty (1 was a handball and terrible challenge) and the own goal (keeper defended but hit his own defender and himself to go it). But unfortunately with our win, we lost both key players Lucas Pratto for 2 months and Datolo for 2 weeks.

Our February Review
View attachment 288442

Great Month and great result even if was against 4th Division teams. But I'm glad that we started great in Copa Libertadores even if some of the goals were lucky.

After the first month the standing after 5 rounds in Campeonato Mineiro

View attachment 288440
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March

View attachment 288439

Next post will be a long post with 8 games to be played and it will most likely to be posted on Monday

Last edited:
Clube Atlético Mineiro- March

Manager News:

Ponte Preta
fires manager Guto Ferreira due to players losing condfidence and hires Ricardo Gomes to a deal until December 2016.

América Futebol Clube vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

The first match of the month is another local derby called the O Clássico das Multidões (The Derby of the Masses)

View attachment 288044

This match wasn't our best game but win is a win. Many bad passing and a couple of wasted chance on net. Jo is making a statement with 2 goals today and his 10th of the season and Emerson with his first goal of the season.

Injury News

View attachment 288043View attachment 288040

2 new players joining Leonardo Silva, Pratto and Datolo to the injury club. May consider getting a loanee.

Transfer news

Atletico Mineiro
have signed defender Matheus Menezes from Botafogo to a year long loan

View attachment 288042View attachment 288041

This signing is depth signing to help the CB position until Leonardo Silva returns and in case someone else getes hurt.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Esporte Clube Democrata

View attachment 288037

This game was destined to end as a draw until Guilherme scored in the 64th minute and the gates opened. It was actually good display by Democrata defense but it was too much pressure for them.

Transfer News

Atletico Mineiro have signed attacking midfielder Felipe from Atletico Paranaense for a reported £550K with him making £2,700 a week
View attachment 288036View attachment 288035

I know that I said I needed a loanee but with Guilherme being very injury prone and my current injury bug, I needed someone long term. Plus he is very versatile as he can play in the middle as well in both wings and can play in front.

Barcelona Sporting Club vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

2nd Copa Libertadores match and good news in Datolo is back and ready to play. Playing Ecuador is tough especially due to the high altitude.

View attachment 288006

And this score does not surprise me. Due to my players not uses to the altitude and key players being injured, I cannot be mad at them for trying. Jo is on fire with his 11th goal of the season.

Associação Atlética Caldense vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 287987

Poor game overall by the club. Too many wasteful shots and Leonardo, 5th choice Striker, was our saviour. New signing Felipe got injured on his first match but fortunately nothing to seriously and will be available next match against Tombense.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Club Libertad

Copa Libertadores Game 3
View attachment 287983

A much better game offensively as the team made uses of their shots. Luan had an excellent game where he had 2 goals and an assist. I have to give credit to Libertad's Jorge Recalde 30 yard stunner that even the Galo fans liked. Also this game was a rough match as the officials was busy with a combined 42 fouls and 5 yellows.

Injury News

Good news as Maicosuel has returned to full training and will play against Boa.

Tombense Futebol Clube vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 287968

We qualified to the Campeonato Mineiro Playoffs due to an unlucky play by Tombense as Anderson scores an own goal at the dying minutes. We played better but with a couple of tweaks and hopefully returning key players, we will be better.

Injury news

View attachment 287967 View attachment 287966

Unfortunately Leonardo, Our hero from last week was injured and now our first choice RB is gone of 2 weeks. Honestly with my experience with this game, this injury crisis is really killing the mood here but creating more story drama.

Award News
View attachment 287964

With that fine display against Libertad, Luan was awarded with Copa Libertadores Player of the Week.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Boa Esporte Clube

View attachment 287956

Great game by the team even when we were down 10 man after a straight red to Jesiel. As Jesiel is only 21 and this is his first professional competition, I will not fined him and only give him a warning. In other news, new signing Felipe played his second game today and got his second injury but good thing his recovery rate is faster than his stability.

Club Libertad vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

Copa Libertadores Game 4. Even though Libertad is in last with no points, we cannot drop our game today as Paraguay is a tough place to play.

View attachment 287951

And Very Good Win. In-form Luan scored and Josue scored a screamer outside the box. We maintained possession and held Libertad to a lowly 6 shots. We can Qualify to the knockout stage if we win our next match against Barcelona.

Our March Review

View attachment 287948

This month was overshadowed by the injury bug that we had. But result wise, we were a bit weak but gained back our form in the end and now we qualified to the playoffs and now so close qualifying to the Copa Libertadores Knockout Stage.

After ten games we maintained first in Campeonato Mineiro with 1 game remaining.

View attachment 287947

And In Copa Libertadores

View attachment 287946

With a loss to either San Lorenzo or Barcelona and a win against Barcelona, we will qualify to the next round.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April

View attachment 287945

This schedule for April fixture. Note that until the final game is played, the fixtures for Campeonato Mineiro Semi-Final will be added. The team that we might face either Boa or Tombense and will played most likely after the Barcelona game. Also April will feature the round of 16 match for Copa Libertadores if we qualify.

See you in the next post.​

Last edited:
Clube Atlético Mineiro- April

Great ready for a very long 3 part month
Transfer News

Today, April 1, 2015, is the deadline for International transfer for all Brazilian clubs. Note that the Domestic transfer is still open until October 4th, 2015.

The biggest transfer this window was Juventus' Leanardo Bonucci to Chelsea for £21 million. 2nd was Mattia De Scigilo from AC Milan to Manchester United for £18 million and 3rd was Real Scoiedad's Carlos Vela to Liverpool for £17.25 million

Our activity during the transfer window:

View attachment 287930

In

Both Lugano and Junior Cesar have been excellent seen join the club in January. Both Cassio and Gabriel Alleoni were trialist that impressed me and will be in the Reserve for this season as they mature. Menezes proved to be an excellent backup to the injured Leonardo Silva and Felipe is having a terrible start is his Atletico career with a combined 60 minutes in 2 games and both with injuries. Walter Clar is an excellent Paraguay prospect that I believe will be an effective player when Pierre leaves the club.

Out

Both Wendal and Roger were sold as they were not good to be featured in the squad and rest went on loan for first team experience. I sent Carlos to FC Kobenhavn because I have 4 Striker that will be rotated and Carlos won't developed as much as I wanted if he was here. And plus the Danish league is an excellent opportunity for him to get some game time with top opposition.

Next International transfer window will be June 20th, 2015 to July 20th, 2015.

Injury News

Good news that our first choice RB, Marco Rocha, will resume full training and be available against Barcalona.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Esporte Clube Mamoré

View attachment 287926

This game was overshadowed by the last 10 minutes Mamore players decided to play rugby. 4 of my players were injured forcing me to play with 9 men at the end.

View attachment 287924

Also Carlo Cesar picked up an injury at end of the match. As a manager trying to protect my players, I'm hope the Minas FA will deal with this disgusting behaviour.

View attachment 287923 View attachment 287922View attachment 287921

Out of the 4 injuries, Dodo and Douglas Santos injured by Andre Luiz and only Maicosuel wasn't badly injured. Unfortunately Dodo was on a great form avg. 7.92 in last 5 games and now it may take up to a year until regain that form back.

Final Standing

Now that the competition is done, we are ready of the playoffs. Here is the final standings.

View attachment 287920

Clube Atlético Mineiro, Cruzeiro Esporte Clube, América Futebol Clube, and Tombense Futebol Clube qualified to the playoffs. We are facing Tombense in the Semi-Finals. We ended in first with 31 points with the most goals, best goal difference and the least goals conceded. With finishing 1st, we have the advantage that if both legs are tie, we qualify to the finals or win the title if in finals as their is no away goals or penalties. Both Atlético and Cruzeiro finished undefeated. Esporte Clube Democrata and Esporte Clube Mamoré were relegated to Campeonato Mineiro Second Division.

Semi-Finals Matchup

View attachment 287896

As stated, we are facing Tombense in the Semis and the fixtures are

View attachment 287917

As I lied in the previous post, our first leg will be before the Barcelona game and 2nd leg will be after.

Injury News

Good news that Cardenas has return to full fitness and may be available as sub against Barcelona.

But unfortunately so the universe can be balanced

View attachment 287916

Jesiel is out for 5 weeks after injuring during training.

Tombense Futebol Clube vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

View attachment 287911

Very entertaining match with Andre disallowed goal could have made this game easier for me to breath. Emerson had a terrible game as Rhayner absolutely embarrassed him and letting him score 2 goals. Both new signing scored their first goals of the club and Felipe FINALLY had an injury-free game and was Atletico best player of the match.

With that victory, we have a one goal advantage heading home but before we do that, there the very important Barcelona game.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record News

View attachment 287910
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Injury News

Good news that Lucas Pratto has recovered from is strained knee ligament and now return to full training. He made be featured as a sub against San Lorenzo.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Barcelona Sporting Club

Copa Libertadores Game 5. We want revenge on what happen last game. If we win, we go to the next round.

View attachment 287908

And we got our revenge and qualified to the next round, IN STYLE!! We started slow but Luan continues to terrorize the competition with 2 goals and 2 assist. Datolo scores first of the season and Lugano had to be subbed in the 86 minute due to injury but will be fine to play next game.

Injury News

Good news that our 5th choice striker Leonardo, third choice RB Carlo Cesar and loanee Douglas Santos are fully fit and ready to go back to training. The biggest news of all is that our captain Leonardo Silva is back and started to train. It kind of a relief that our players are coming back especially before the Brasileirão which starts next month.

Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Tombense Futebol Clube

View attachment 287907

And we qualified to the Campeonato Mineiro finals. Very good game overall, Tombense keeper played his the best game of his career only allowed 1 goal in 26 shots. I never said this in my previous posts but one of my young players Tabata is blowing my mind away with 6 apperances with an avg of 7.40 and 2 goals/6 assist and only 18 years old

View attachment 287905

His attributes. His potential is 5 stars

View attachment 287900
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record News

View attachment 287895
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finals Matchup

View attachment 287893

Unsurprisingly the Campeonato Mineiro finals will be Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Cruzeiro Esporte Clube. This finals will be our 77th final and our 9th straight finals appearance. Also it the 3rd consecutive Atletico vs Cruzeiro finals with each team winning once (Atletico in 2013 and Cruzeiro in 2014) and 48th all-time.

The matches will happen:

View attachment 287892

But first we have one more game to complete.

Award News

View attachment 287891

And he wins his second.

Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

Copa Libertadores match 6. It round 2 of Brazil vs Argentina and this time in the hostile territory in Buenos Aires

View attachment 287888

And San Lorenzo qualify to the next round. Too many wasted opportunity and San Lorenzo punished us. But in the end we finished first in Group E.

Injury news

Jo
suffered a hamstring injury and is out for 4 weeks.

Here the final standing in the Copa Libertadores Group E

View attachment 287885

Here are the other standings

View attachment 287883

The big surprise was that Estudiante finished in last.
And now the draw of the Round of 16 is announced and we are facing

View attachment 287881

The Mexican Giant: Club de Fútbol Tigres de la Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León or Tigres UNAL

Matches will happen

View attachment 287878

Yes there will be 2 more matches this month.
Tune in next post for the first leg of Campeonato Mineiro​

Last edited:

Clube Atlético Mineiro- April Part 2

Here we are again. This is Campeonato Mineiro Finals and what a match. Today is Clube Atlético Mineiro vs Cruzeiro Esporte Clube. The first match of the year between these two ended in a 1-1 draw, goals by Atletico's Cardenas and Cruzeiro's Leandro Damiao.

View attachment 287868

Today is the first leg and it will be played at the Estádio Mineirão in front of 61,400 fans with 1,400 Galo fans will be attending with heavy police force separating both fans

View attachment 287867

Here are your line-up for today Classico

View attachment 287866View attachment 287865

New signing Lima will be a big threat and we need to exploit their Fullback as I believe Luan and Datolo are capable to do so.

The officials enters the fields, checks both nets and tell that Cruzeiro will start.

Kickoff: *TWEET*

28th minute: Free Kick for Cruzeiro. 20 yards out. Everton is deeply concentrating. Everton starts to run and kicks it. The ball curves to the net and passes Victor...... *BANG* OH MY, the ball hits the crossbar and goes out of bounds. Cruzeiro almost takes the lead. Goal kick for Atletico.

View attachment 287829

31st minute: Datolo cannot continue the due to a earlier incident where he collided with Seymour. Maicosuel comes in to replace him.

34th minute: Jemerson receives a yellow card after uphending Lima.

39th minute: Maicosuel runs with the ball into Cruzeiro 18 yard box and passes to Cardenas who immediately gives to Pierre. Pierre is challenged by Everton who ends up passing to Atletico's Luan. Luan looks to his left and see Pratto open. Para tries to stop the pass but mistimes it and ball ends up in front of Pratto. Pratto is wide open and he shoot......... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!! Pratto places the ball in the left bottom corner where Fabio was unable to make a save and makes it 1-0 Atletico.

View attachment 287825

40th minute: Cardenas tries to go through Seymour but instead is taken down. Yellow Card for Seymour and he complains that Cardenas dived.

44th minute: Junior Cesar takes the freekick and the ball goes to Jemerson who heads it back to Junior Cesar. Cesar runs outside the box where he crosses the ball to Leonardo Silva. The Captain heads it to the open Maicosuel who volleys it to the net...... GOOOOOOOOOOOOL!! Fabio had no chance to defending that and you can see him arguing with his defenders and suddenly the game is 2-0.

View attachment 287820

45th minute: The referee adds 2 more minutes.

47th minute: Marquinhos goes down the wing but is tripped by Marcos Rocha. Yellow card.

47th minutes: *TWEET* The official ends the 1st half
What a match tonight. Cruzeiro fans are quiet. The 1,400 Galo fans are chanting at the top of their lungs, making sure they are heard.

2nd Half: *TWEET*

56th minute: Cruzeiro swtiches Marquinhos for Alisson

59th minute: Atletico's Luan is fouled by Para and get a yellow.

61st minute: Cruzeiro makes a double substitution. Leandro Damiao replaces Lima and Souza goes in for Seymour.

63rd minute: Jemerson trips Damiao outside the penalty area. The referee decides to keep his card in his pocket. Cruzeiro players protest but the ref tells them off. Everton again sets up the freekick. He takes a deep breath and looks at Victor. He runs and kicks. The ball curves and passes Victor..... OVER THE BAR!!! Everton with another great chance and misses.

View attachment 287817

65th minute: Cardenas passes the ball to Pratto and beat Dede and shoot. Fabio pushes away and goes back to Pratto. Pratto volleys it..... MISSES!!! Oh what a wasted chance. Goal kick to Cruzeiro.

View attachment 287812

78th minute: De Arrascaeta runs and is fouled by Josue. Yellow Card. And Josue is subbed off and replaced by Leandro Donizete.

87th minute: Pratto is fouled by Marcelo and receives a yellow.

88th minute: As temper starts to heat up, Leonardo Silva slides tackles Damiao and gets a yellow. The manager takes off Silva and puts in Lugano.

90th minute: Souza pushes Cardenas to the ground which starts an argument between the two but the ref gives Souza the yellow and warns Cardenas. After the Ref gives 2 extra minutes.

92th minutes: The officials ends the game.

View attachment 287810

Final Score:

View attachment 287807
View attachment 287800

What a GREAT WIN. Its always good when you beat your most hated rivals. Now we go back home with a 2 goal lead.
Next episode on Clube Atlético Mineiro, the final match of the month and a review.​

Last edited:
Clube Atlético Mineiro- April Part 3

Club de Fútbol Tigres de la Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León vs Clube Atlético Mineiro

Copa Libertadores Round of 16 leg 1. Going to Mexico is gonna be tough. We must be prepared for the deafening chant that the Tigres fan will do.

View attachment 287791

Its understandable that playing in a different continent is a difficult task. Unfortunately our captain give Tigres a silly penalty but Pratto saved us in the 2nd half. In the end, I'm happy that we got an away goal to help us in the 2nd leg. And sadly Josue is out for 3 weeks with a twisted knee.

Our April Review

View attachment 287787

April was a very good month: Not too many injurys, Qualified to Campeonato Mineiro Finals and having a 2 goal advantage to the 2nd leg at home. Also we qualified to the round of 16 of Copa Libertadores and got an important away goal for the 2nd leg at home.

international Transfer window in now close until June 20th, 2015 but the domestic transfer window is still open until October 4th, 2015
May

View attachment 287781

We still have the second leg from both Campeonato Mineiro and Copa Libertadoes to play. But on May 10th, the real show begins and we are playing in Porto Alegre to face against a tough Gremio. Our home opener will be on May 13th against Figueirense. Of the 5 first games, we must beat Figueirense, Chapecoense and Avai. Also is we qualify to the quarterfinals, their will be an extra 2 games in May.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stay tune for the next post. It will be uploaded some time this week.​