Football Manager 14: Bath Legends

Football Manager 14 Save History
2013/14- Skrill South- 4th
2014/15- Skrill South- 1st
2015/16- Skrill Premier- 18th
2016/17- Skrill Premier- 3rd
2017/18- Skrill Premier- 18th
2018/19- Skrill Premier- 9th

In season 1 we made the critical signing of club legend Scott Shulton, and nearly got promoted in the playoff after finishing 4th. In the 2014/15 season we easily disposed of the competition, finishing a comfortable 1st. We went from 18th in 2015/16 to 3rd after some major improvements to the side. An error on my end regarding signing useless overrated wage hogs resulted in team chemistry dropping and the side tanked to 18th, nearly being relegated. The next season we slightly recovered to 9th, but then halfway through the next season, sitting in a mid-table position, the story ended.
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...es-bath-city-skrill-south-end-season-1-a.html

Football Manager 15: Bath Legends
David Pratt (ST)- 33 goals in 39 appearances in 2014/15

Football Manager 15: Save History
2014/15- Vanarama South- 4th
2015/16- Vanarama South- 9th

What you can expect from this story:
  • A brief style that doesn't often include graphics
  • A long term save. I'm expecting to complete more than 10 seasons.
  • A typical Conference South to Premier League story
  • A clueless manager

Last edited:
Excellent!!! Stoked to see you back mate, really enjoyed this last time around :)

Season 1

The expectations from the board are to finish in a comfortable mid table position. Currently we have a very decent looking squad with a chunk of wage budget still free, so I’ll be looking to flesh out the squad and ensure that we are covered for injuries. While I obviously wanted to improve the first team, there simply weren't many higher quality players that are interested in joining the club.

TRANSFERS

View attachment 330502
TRANSFERS OUT

First to go was Andy Watkins (ST), who was also released at the start of my Bath story last time around. £400 per week wages and the fact we already had 4 other strikers resulted in his release. Next to go was Jason Mellor (GK), the Bath goalkeeper. He really wasn’t bad but the two goalkeepers’ I signed were about the same and on a third of the wages. I only removed two players from the original squad.

TRANSFERS IN

Alfred Bosch (DC)-
View attachment 329595
The Spanish defender was signed on pretty high wages, but with good marking, tackling, positioning, strength and pace I thought he was worth a purchase. The central defenders in our side needed some backup, but Bosch could push for a first team spot.

Danny Williams (MR)-
View attachment 329594
I needed a backup for key player Ross Stearn in the right of midfield, and he signed on fairly low wages. He has decent physical and technical stats, and he should be a sufficient backup. He scored a couple of goals in our last friendly, maybe pushing for more games than I would have given him otherwise.

Mark Preece (DC)-
View attachment 329593
Solid rounded central defender who will compete with the other 3 centre backs for the first team spots. His lack of pace is his only drawback.

Matt Groves (ML)-
View attachment 329592

When I came to the club there were no natural left midfielders, but there was a lack of them on the market as well. My last resort was signing Groves on loan. Once again, he has great physicals, but looks to have backup written all over him.

Reece Ottley (GK)-
View attachment 329591

This was my first replacement for old goalkeeper Jason Mellor. He basically has 8 to 10 on every stat that matters, and he is judged by my staff as being a 3.5 star keeper. Simply couldn’t pass him up at only £55 per week.

Sam Pearce (GK)-
View attachment 329589

I thought that Sam Pearce would be my first choice keeper, but according to my staff he is only 2.5 stars and Reece Ottley has outperformed him in the pre-season friendlies so far. Still, I now have two quality keepers for £140 a week instead of just Jason Mellor for £160.

So basically, other than the goalkeepers, we signed to fill gaps in the squad so that we are fully prepared to rotate through the season.

Last edited:
TACTICS

View attachment 329606
Originally I wanted a 4-4-2 with the basic roles, but instead I switched things up and gave some people some roles. Only 1 instruction, which is shorter passing. I am keeping the tactics simple, we will see how it goes.

FRIENDLIES

View attachment 329603

We played useless opposition and won. We will see how we go in the regular matches.

SQUAD

View attachment 329599

Last edited:
February 1st 2015

END OF JANUARY REPORT

View attachment 329611

A very solid start to the season that puts us in 1st place on goal difference. Striker David Pratt has been on form with 6 goals in our 9 appearances, along with centre back signing Alfred Bosch having an average rating of 7.72. The side has been performing very well, but I wouldn't consider us to be pushing for promotion this season. I assume the side will drop off soon enough into a high mid-table position.

Last edited:
Like the new look mate, have been thinking about trying to make mine look a bit better but lack both the know how & patience lol

February 1st 2015

END OF JANUARY REPORT

View attachment 329609

I was happy with every result here, excluding our shocking loss against Chelmsford. Striker David Pratt has scored 19 goals in 18 appearances all up, and in just this set of matches he scored 13 goals in 9 games. He has been the main goalscorer in a side that has scored 46 goals in the league thus far. The side are currently still sitting in 1st place on the table, but only on goal difference, +7 ahead of Ebbsfleet. The top 7 spots are incredibly even, so the side could quickly drop from promotion contenders to just fulfilling the board's expectations.

Last edited:
32 goals in 27 games!!! David Pratt is going on my lower league short list for sure!

Last edited:
Good read this mate and great start to the season...looking forward to further updates :)

February 1st 2015

END OF JANUARY REPORT

View attachment 329608

The side decided to stop playing well, as per usual. So yeah, now we are rubbish and can't win any matches. Nothing more to say.

Last edited:
My teams seem to suffer from mid/late season collapse syndrome as well. Generally come good when its to late to do anything, frustrates the **** out of me! :mad:

Nice to see someone having a go with my local team! Are you from Bath?

There is still a lot to play for mate! hopefully the team will pull together and hope you can get that top spot and unlucky on just missing out in the 1st round proper of the FA Cup

June 1st 2015

END OF SEASON REPORT

View attachment 329293

Well, that was absolutely terrible. We were the better side stats wise in all 4 of those losses, but we didn't once come out of them with a win. I changed tactics from the 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3, which didn't suit the side at all but did result in clingy 1-0 victories to keep us in the playoff area. No more stand out performers, as Dave Pratt's goal scoring has definitely slowed down.

June 1st 2015

END OF SEASON REPORT

View attachment 329292

We had a mixed bag of results, depending on whether the team decided to turn up or not. Our 1-0 win at Havant & W secured us 4th spot in the league. In the match before our playoff, we lost 8-1 to Staines. We were really going into the first play-off brimming with confidence. In the home leg, literally nothing happened except for winger Ross Stearn scoring. I changed over to Contain, and then the match ended. The away leg was just slightly more interesting. The score was 1-0 to Havant & W going into extra time, and my side had done absolutely nothing to trouble them. In the 113th, they buried home the goal that would send them into the next round. But the tactical genius extraordinaire manager at Bath decided to play a 2-3-5 formation on Overload. In the 120th minute, Ross Stearn wipped in a cross from the right wing towards striker Dave Pratt, but he could only manage to head it backwards towards left winger Frankie Artus. He looped a header back in the Pratt's direction, right outside the 6 yard box, who then clumsily nodded home a header to keep us in it. In the penalty shootout, we were down by two but young goalkeeper Reece Ottley saved two penalties in a row to make the score 3-2 in Havant & W's favour with our last penalty to go. Ross Stearn had the penalty to keep us in the game, but it was saved. Havant & W won the shootout and went through to the final playoff.

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 329291

Last edited:
June 1st 2015

END OF SEASON REVIEW

View attachment 329290

Striker David Pratt was basically our saviour, and if we didn't have his 36 goals who knows where we would be. Chris Allen and Ben Adelsbury were the solid pairing in central midfield, and they will be back for us next season. Nick McCootie, who is with us on a non-contract was a surprise package. He didn't score in his first 12 appearances for the club, but when I needed to play him again when Pratt went down with an injury he scored time and time again. No clubs are interested in him so hopefully we will retain him as a backup for another season. Noah Keats performed well, but when we switched to a 4-3-3 late in the season there wasn't a spot left for him. New signing Alfred Bosch has an amazing start to the season, but after that he just didn't perform at all, and ended up missing quite a few matches. The whole 6.75 to 6.95 average rating group are players that performed okay and will hang around. Pat Keary and Mark Preece were massive pains the entire season, and both want to leave the club. Keary made 29 appearances and Preece made 23. Wow, I really understand how I am stalling your career. Maybe if you outperformed someone in the side apart from our 20 year old backup right back I'd be willing to play you more often. I would like to keep a hold of Keary because of his low wages, but one or both of those centre backs might be leaving. A positive of our 4 consecutive losses during the season was I took that opportunity to offer new contracts to the players, while their demands weren't so outlandish. Overall, I think we have a great even squad as a base to aim for promotion next season.

close but hopefully this season coming you can finally push for promotion!

Season 2

The expectation is once again to finish in a mid-table position as I really didn't feel confident bumping it up after the back half of last season. Once again I will be signing rotation players as I trust our core group of players can get us promoted. As much as I would like to get promoted, I feel like another solid league finish in the top 6 would be more realistic.

TRANSFERS

View attachment 329262

As you can see, not much movement. This is mainly due to the fact I had to re-sign basically my whole team to new contracts, and they all wanted much higher wages. This left me in a bit of a financial predicament, so I'm really not in the situation to be signing first team players.

TRANSFERS OUT

Daniel Bowman was a young right back who made 7 appearances and didn't really impress. He got ****** off about a lack of first team football and wouldn't sign a new contract. Pat Keary was a decent young centre back who made 26 appearances for the club. He also had a sook about broken promises, so he wouldn't sign a new contract. He moved to the non-leagues where he belongs. Sam Pearce was the goalkeeper I signed last season who I was very excited about, but because I needed to cut the wage bill he had to go. I'm rolling with one goalkeeper this season, we all know what is going to happen.

TRANSFERS IN

Ben Watkins (MC)-
View attachment 329260

This is the signing I am most excited about. Released from Cardiff, he is just a balanced central midfielder. With our struggle with the wage budget, £100 per week was absolutely perfect. He will be a backup for my two main midfielders Chris Allen and Ben Adelsbury, but due to the injuries in this game he will probably enjoy a lot of game time.

Mike Gosney (ML)-
View attachment 329259

Signed him as a backup, but looking at his stats I really didn't expect him to be 1 star. Still he is a backup on measly wages, wouldn't really call the signing a mistake.

Craig Robson (DC)-
View attachment 329258

Backup centre back on loan from somewhere. Solid defensive stats, should do a bearable job if we ever need him. On a side note, I normally give all the players a face, sorry that i couldn't be stuffed with this guy.