Tough way to go out. But now going into season 2, you know it can be done. Just build on what you have and I think you could win the league.

TACTICS

View attachment 329256
The same 4-4-2 that was so successful last year, but then stopped working around January.

View attachment 329255
This is a new formation I thought up just because we have the players for it. I guess it's a bit more defensive than the 4-4-2 with Adelsbury in front of the defence.

View attachment 329254
This formation will be the third formation for when we are struggling, or all of our strikers are down with injuries.

FRIENDLIES

View attachment 329253

This set of friendlies really worries me. The defense was leaking against sides a division below us, and then in the last game against Clevedon our attack failed to contribute. At least this pre-season I scheduled a few more friendlies, so hopefully we are pretty fit heading into our first match.

SQUAD

View attachment 329249

Last edited:
I always do a Bath City save as i am from that area, and love the challenge. Currently quarter of way through 1st season and currently top. Just seen this thread, and also playing a 4-4-2 and signed groves on loan and Preece at CB.

Did you have to terminate Watkins contract? he won't leave and nobody will sign him! and as you said is on a ridiculous wage at this level and isn't even a 1st team player!

It was a while ago and I can't really remember, but I reckon I terminated his contract. As soon I saw him he was gone haha, just so unnecessary in the squad. Let me know how Dave Pratt is going for you, I'm wondering if his 35 goals for me was a mix of a fluke and blistering form, or if he is actually that good.

I know i have made the mistake of hanging on to him in the hope someone would sign him, so i will be terminating his contract as soon as i go on tonight! haha. Unfortunately Pratt has been injured for most of the season so only has 3 goals in 4 games i think. Have been playing Keats as target man and Mcootie as Poacher and both have been in good form scoring nearly every game.

February 1st 2016

END OF JANUARY REPORT

View attachment 329035

The side is absolutely ****. We are currently sitting in 11th on the table, already 6 points off the promotion zone and 11 points from 1st place. This is exactly where I start getting bored with a save. We aren't really getting outplayed, but we just aren't getting any wins even though the matches are equal. I can't improve anything, but the results are ****. We currently have 6 first team players out injured, including David Pratt. I have £275 wage budget free, but there is no one on the market even close to first team quality. At least I conned my board into re-signing me until 2017 even though we are clearly going nowhere.

Last edited:
Results like that are to be expected in the lower leagues. You just have to power through them. Keep it up!

February 1st 2016

END OF JANUARY REPORT

View attachment 328727

After this we are clearly not going for promotion this season. But if you take the results from Basingstoke downwards, it really hasn't been that bad as of late. I've been using the 4-1-3-2 more than the 4-4-2 now. I thought Mark Preece being unhappy (broke too many promises, and he has held that grudge for 6+ months) might have ruining the team so I sold him. This led to what you'll see below.

TRANSFERS

View attachment 328726

How did I find the wage budget to make all of these signings? Basically, I re-signed half of the club to lower contracts than they previously had, freeing me up a chuck of wage budget to make 4 first team signings in an attempt to rejuvenate the side. I still have £287 free, so expect another signing in the next update. I'm not just going to sit by while our team languishes in the mid-table.

TRANSFERS OUT

Mark Preece (DC) was still unhappy about broken promises from January last season, so I finally just got rid of him. He played 37 games for the club at an average rating of 6.73. Our other centre back Phil Walsh (DC) was constantly injured. I saw a great centre back on the market for free, so I released him. He made 30 appearances during my stay at the club at an average rating of 6.8.

TRANSFERS IN

Joe Maguire (DC)-
View attachment 328725

Signed as a first team centre back. Fantastic heading, balanced average defending attributes along with pace and strength. Definitely better than both Mark Preece and Phil Walsh, which is why I'm making this change.

Ismail Yakubu (DC)-
View attachment 328724

Once again, just all round better than the centre backs I used to have. I was surprised I could even sign this player as he played 11 games in Sky Bet League 2 last season.

Josh Shama (MC, ML, MR, ST)
View attachment 328723

Will play predominately as a central mid, but I've been using him as a Poacher at striker to try and get goals late in the game with his pace. Once again, appeared in the Sky Bet League 2 last season, and should do very well. In the 6 appearances in the league since we bought him he has scored 2 goals and gave off 3 assists, with an average rating of 7.28. I'm very excited about signing this player.

Arron Davies (ML, MC, MR)-
View attachment 328722

Davies made 26 appearances in the Sky Bet League 2, once again showing his quality. He has great technicals along with very solid mentals and physicals. Really couldn't go wrong with this signing. He will initially take the left mid spot, but he can move anywhere in the midfield. In 3 appearances he has scored a goal and provided an assist, at an average rating of 7.37. Our other left mid Frankie Artus has only provided two goals and two assists all season.

February 1st 2016

END OF JANUARY REPORT

View attachment 328662

Ideal? No. Better? Yes. At least we are beginning to make our way into the season. I am no longer worrying about getting sacked in the back of my head. All of the new signings excluding Ismail Yakubu have performed well.

TRANSFERS IN

Dan Thompson (ST)-View attachment 328661

David Pratt (ST)- 20 appearances, 4 goals
Noah Keats (ST)- 14 appearances, 2 goals
Chas Hemmings (ST)- 21 appearances, 6 goals
Nick McCootie (ST)- 15 appearances, 6 goals

In a combined 70 appearances, our strike force has put 18 goals into the back of the net. We need a new striker, and here he is. He is tall, quick, agile and strong. His 9 finishing is workable, but with his finishing I am hoping he can score for fun. Thus far Dan has had 3 appearances for 1 goal and 1 assist. I'm hoping he can really kick on, as the difference between this season and last is we don't have an inform striker tearing it up.

Last edited:
I have just reached January in my 1st season and Keats has scored 22 goals in 22 games! Trying to match Ronaldos goal scoring record haha.

February 1st 2016

END OF JANUARY REPORT

LEAGUE TABLE
View attachment 328653

Sitting in a comfortable mid table position really isn't bad considering our start to the season. There is no pressure on my job as manager, and we can hopefully see out the season, finish in 6th and then GET OUR ****** STRIKERS SCORING.

FA CUP

View attachment 328652

Great concentration lads.

FA TROPHY

View attachment 328650

This was a pretty great run, beating Grimsby, who are in the division above us.

You should be writing the story, you are clearly far better than me ;)

For me all of my strikers have been hurt by injuries. Pratt, Keats and McCootie have all been out injured for heaps of the season, so maybe that's why. Or more likely, my tactic is ****. Oh well.

I am tempted to have a go at a story at some point (will probably change my mind when things start going bad!).

You could still potentially reach playoffs this season with a bit of help from your strikers!

I think i am going to publish my own story and am thinking of doing it on this save this evening, so you will have to check it out!!!
Can learn a few things off each other!

June 1st 2016

END OF SEASON REPORT

View attachment 328083

At this stage I'm rushing through matches as our league spot is assured, and I want to end the season. I have noted that we have a problem with conceding set pieces (all 3 goals for Chelmsford, 3 for Basingstoke, 2 for Staines) so I will be looking up how to set up to defend corners in the off-season. Signing Josh Sharma has been our shining light.

June 1st 2016

END OF SEASON REPORT

View attachment 328081

While the results look okay, these wins and draws were against the teams right at the bottom of the league. For example, Hayes & Yeading are dead last. Still, it was nice to at least get some wins on the board once again.

LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 328080

We end up finishing in 9th spot. Quite a step backwards considering we basically kept the exact same squad and even made some improvements. My job security is stable and I'm ready to go again next season.

June 1st 2016

END OF SEASON REVIEW

View attachment 328079

Our star signing Josh Sharma was clearly our best player. Switching between central midfielder and support striker has slotted 12 goals and created another 7. Ross Stearn was our other reliable star. Nick McCootie was injured for basically the whole season, and he will continue to stay on a non-contract. Striker signing Dan Thompson didn't do the job I expected him to do, but playing a part in 15 goals over 17 appearances is much better than any of my other strikers can manage. Danny Williams is retiring. Artus, Kington, Adeslbury, Allen and Simpson are all established first team players. Signing Joe Maguire was a solid central defender, while our other signing Arron Davies started at the club on fire, but in his last 10 or so appearances did absolutely nothing. Alfred Bosch and Yakubu are both established first team centre backs. I will be trying to rid myself of Chas Hemmings, as I don't really see the point of having a striker that I'll never play, having scored 6 times in 24 appearances. I'm satisfied with the performances of Ball, Gallinagh, Watkins and Ottley. David Pratt is gone. He only scored a meagre 5 times this season, and he wants ridiculous wages. Slocombe and Keats are both on the brink of being sold.

So basically, I will see what guns I can pick up from free agency and go around again. I never promised you a manager who was capable of just promoting constantly, but I'm trying my best.

9th might not sound like a stella year but you were a measly 6 points off the playoffs!
Good luck with your recruitment, will follow with interest as always :)

Season 3

The expectations from the board are once again to finish in a respectable mid-table position. Once again, I could of gone higher and gotten more wage budget, but I really don't need it. I currently have £1.58K p/w free wage budget, and simply no one to spend it on at all. I've assigned my scout to give me a report on all 732 free agents, so as soon as someone decent is discovered they'll be signed straight away. In the meantime, I'll keep my wage control bar right up with the board. With the transfers, there were only two players I found that were first team quality, so I signed them.

MANAGER

View attachment 328030

TRANSFERS

View attachment 328037

TRANSFERS OUT

First is Dan Ball (DL), who made 67 appearances at an average rating of 6.84 during my time at the club. I was waiting until the last second to renew his contract so I wouldn't have to pay him the higher wages for that month or so, but then he randomly refused to negotiate and left the club. He was a solid performer, I was a bit sad to let him go. Next was David Pratt (ST), who scored 37 goals in 59 appearances during my time at the club. In my first season he scored 33 goals in 39 appearances, but last season he scored 4 goals in 20 appearances. No place for sentiment at my club, if I can't trust you to put the ball in the back of the net regularly you may as well leave now. Mike Gosney (ML) was the useless backup I signed, who made 4 appearances for the club. Ashley Kington (MC) left as I constantly had a centre midfielder complaining about a lack of first team football, so I offloaded one. He made 39 appearances at an average rating of 6.89. While his average rating was okay, he only gave off 4 assists from the advanced playmaker position. Noah Keats is also gone, after 47 appearances and 10 goals while I have been at the club. He was good in the first season, but last season he was rubbish, and he just wasn't worth keeping anymore.

TRANSFERS IN

Kane Owen (DL)-
View attachment 328035

Kane Owens is the direct replacement for left back Dan Ball. Released from Cardiff, he has good balanced stats for this level.

Brandon Griffiths (MC)-
View attachment 328034

As I said before, with so much spare wage budget (and even more before this signing) any first team player I see will be signed. I will be playing him in the more defensive spot in central midfield due to his low passing and dribbling. He has the current ability of a decent player in the division up. Brings our Welsh player count to 4, and should be a solid player for the club.

Last edited:
February 1st 2017

END OF JANUARY REPORT

View attachment 327772

It looks like we are back to being a decent side. We dominated Canvey Island and Staines in our first two matches, but since then our results have been very solid. Striker Dan Thompson has scored 7 goals in 10 games, but unfortunately he is probably going to leave the club. We beat a greyed out side 3-2, I told the side it was a let-off, Dan Thompson now wants to leave the club because of my harsh team talks. The temptation to buy the editor and get rid of that is strong. Anyway, these results put us in second.

Push on mate, he will get over it when he's holding the trophy aloft!!!