Clueless Kaarto manages Hednesford Town F.C.

Kaarto7

Reaction score
Clueless Kaarto manages Hednesford Town F.C.
View attachment 238774

Football Manager 14/15: Old Stories

Hednesford Save History (Story Spoilers)
2025/26- Premier League- 2nd
2024/25- Premier League- 13th
2023/24- Championship- 3rd
2022/23- Championship- 7th
2021/22- League 1- 2nd
2020/21- League 2- 1st
2019/20- League 2- 12th
2018/19- Conference- 1st
2017/18- Conference- 4th
2016/17- Conference- 4th
2015/16- Conference North- 1st
2014/15- Conference North- 2nd

Hednesford Save Achievements
2025/26- Qualified for UEFA Champions League
2024/25- Won Capital One Cup
2023/24- Won promotion from the Championship
2021/22- Won promotion from League 1
2020/21- Won League 2 Title
2020/21- Won Johnstone's Paint Trophy
2018/19- Won Conference Title
2015/16- Won Conference North Title

Hednesford Legends (Story Spoilers)
Scott Shulton (2014-2020)- Attacking Midfielder- 205 appearances, 55 goals, 50 assists
Archie Love (2014-2020)- Central Midfielder- 290 appearances, 21 goals, 33 assists
Ben Smith (2014-2021)- Goalkeeper- 364 appearances
Matthew Fletcher (2014-2021)- Striker- 258 appearances, 90 goals, 41 assists
Danny Barrow (2015-2021)- Left Winger- 280 appearances, 53 goals, 61 assists
Donald Love (2017-2022)- Right Back- 317 appearances, 6 goals, 35 assists
Kwame Thomas (2018-2022)- Striker- 152 appearances, 61 goals, 44 assists
Jack Barmby (2018-2024)- Left Wing- 297 appearances, 82 goals, 76 assists
Sergi Canos (2019-2024)- Right Wing- 234 appearances, 59 goals, 65 assists

I’m giving this type of save yet another go, after failing to get anywhere in my past two attempts. This time I’ve changed it up and chosen Hednesford in the Conference North. I am going to stick with them and attempt to drag them into the Premier League. Why did I decide to join Hednesford? It reminded me of spelling Wednesday phonetically as Wed-Nes-Day when I was 6. That is all. You can expect a brief posting style and sub-par football management while reading this story.

Last edited:
Season 1 (2014/15)

MANAGER STATS
View attachment 238730
I waltz into my first club as a bit of a useless hack.

TRANSFERS

View attachment 238731
As usual when I join a new club, I completely overhauled the first team. The tactic I use is to sign as many scouts as possible, and then request a report card on every single free agent in England. Every once in a while, I'll find a diamond in the rough and I'll do my best to get them into the club. I won't be showing any screenshots of players only signed for backup.

TRANSFERS IN

Matthew Fletcher (ST)
View attachment 238773
I am stoked that I found a quality striker to add to the side. He has great dribbling, finishing and even a little bit of pace. I expect Fletcher to bang them in at this level, and keep banging them in after we get promoted as well. He was signed a little bit into the season.

Ben Smith (GK)
View attachment 238759
Not only have I found a great striker, I've also locked down a great keeper. I always look for Reflexes, One On Ones and Handling, along with low Eccentricity. Smith ticked all those boxes and my scouts agreed.

Scott Shulton (AMC)
View attachment 238749
This is my old mate from my Bath City saves. Despite his stats looking bog average, he has piled on the goals and assists for me in the past. As soon as I saw him available I had to grab him.

Danny Fitzsimons (DC)
View attachment 238744
We needed depth in centre-back, and Fitzsimmons looked decent with 8-10's everywhere. He is here on loan with no wages, so there is no risk involved.

Fred Murray (DL)
View attachment 238736
I don't usually like signing players over the age of 30, but with nothing better available I had to grab Murray. He should do a job for a season at left back.

I've successfully bolstered the first team with a few great signings and I hope we can get promoted straight away.

Last edited:
Would be great to see you go up at first try with an Aussie banging in the goals for you!

TACTICS

View attachment 238723

Using all of my tactical nous I've produced the most brilliant generic 4-2-3-1 you'll ever see. I'll do some tweaking during the season just to see what works.

FRIENDLIES

View attachment 238721

I got carried away with signings and forgot to schedule myself a pre-season. Because of this we are going into the season a bit underdone, but we should be able to scrape some good results early anyway. Backup striker Jacob Gibson did very well in these matches, netting a few times. My secret talisman Scott Shulton went down with injury in the first fixture.

KEY PLAYERS

Archie Love (MC)View attachment 238717
When I saw this bloke sitting in my squad, on a non-contract, I was slightly pleased. Archie has outstanding attributes everywhere, and is simply far too good for this level.

James Hurst (DR)
View attachment 238715

It's a similiar story with Hurst. He has outstanding physicals, and is too good for this level. Hurst and Love are just gifts for me as a manager.

Looking forward to this..3rd time...charm..and all that!

Good luck mate.

Looking forward to this..3rd time...charm..and all that!

Good luck mate.

That's the hope haha.

I need to get a conference side to the premier league just once so I can move on. I just don't feel right trying anything else on FM knowing that I haven't done this yet :p

2014/15 LEAGUE RESULTS #1

View attachment 238544

I always manage to start seasons well, and this is no exception. Our defense has looked solid, only lapsing once away at AFC Fylde. We've also had a nice mix of goalscorers with the surprise being left midfielder Glenn Walker, who has netted 4 times in 10 appearances. I've managed to put Hednesford straight on the map as promotion contenders.

Last edited:
2014/15 LEAGUE RESULTS #2

View attachment 238543
The first four results shattered my confidence. We were on top in all of them really, but just couldn't put the ball into the goal enough. So I went onto the transfer market and grabbed striker Matthew Fletcher. In his debut he netted twice to drag us to a draw, and our formed peaked up again with a few wins.

Last edited:
2014/15 LEAGUE RESULTS #3

View attachment 238505

Bit of a mixed bag, but at least we look very solid at home, proven by 4 wins on the trot at Keys Park without conceding. Our away form leaves a little to be desired, but I guess I can't expect to just romp everyone on their turf. While our defence has stayed the same, our attack has dried up, with scorers like Walker, Gibson and Semple nowhere to be seen. Fletcher hasn't been as dominant as I expected, but there is nothing wrong with 4 goals in 9 appearances.

Last edited:
2014/15 LEAGUE RESULTS #4

View attachment 238504

This seems to be how we are going to play the whole season. We aren't going to win every game, but we are good enough to win at home and take some points away as well. Our defence has been the highlight of our season, spearheaded by new goalkeeper Ben Smith. Even when our attack is switched off we can depend on the back 5 to keep the opposition quiet. Just looking at these 6 fixtures as an example, we only conceded twice. We are right up the pointy end of the table, but Boston Utd are comfortably first. We'll probably need to go on a huge winstreak to get near them at this point, but more likely we'll be battling in the playoff's.

Last edited:
So far so good! Although the idea of Play-offs makes me nervous; I never have any luck in play-offs!

Could you put up the league table?

So far so good! Although the idea of Play-offs makes me nervous; I never have any luck in play-offs!

Could you put up the league table?

I've never been promoted through the play-off's, eventually it has to happen, surely?

League table will be up soon, only 7 more matches for the season.

2014/15 CUP RESULTS

View attachment 238333

We performed decently in both the FA Trophy and FA Cup, but nothing special happened. I find cup runs a bit boring in the lower leagues, as no matter what happens you get about $5 from it.

Last edited:
2014/15 LEAGUE RESULTS #5

View attachment 238331

Rather than kick on and challenge for the top spot, our attacking prowess disappeared and we collected draw after draw. Once again, our defence really keeps us in it, but we can't quite produce enough goals. We finish easily in 2nd, 5 points clear of 3rd place. Now it's time to hope for the best in the playoff's and hopefully start next season in the Conference.

Last edited:
2014/15 CONFERENCE NORTH LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 238330

We've achieved 2nd place in the Conference North. While we had the 2nd best defence in the league (37 goals conceded), we only had the 9th best attack (56 goals scored), so I know where we need to improve going into next season, no matter what league we are in. Still, I'm happy to be in second place, giving the club a good chance of getting promoted through the play-off's.

Last edited:
2014/15 LEAGUE PLAYOFFS

View attachment 238297

The dramatic write-ups can wait until we are a little higher than the 6th division. We comfortably disposed of Tamworth in the semi-final, before our encounter with Lowestoft in the final at Keys Park. 3,469 packed in to see Boateng open the scoring for Lowestoft in the 8th minute. Our central midfielder Jamey Osborne equalised 10 minutes later, but the opposition took the lead again through Danny Crow in the 37th. Once again Osborne hit back a few minutes later to keep us in the tie. Our attack couldn't get the job done with a winning goal, so eventually we went to penalties. Unsurprisingly, we lost out and we will stay in the Conference North again next season.

Last edited:
So close - although I'm sorry to see you beat Tamworth. I'm doing a career thread with them right now on the SI forums... ;)

2014/15 SQUAD REVIEW

View attachment 238179

The player I identified as key player in the pre-season Archie Love was our best player by a margin. I played him mainly as a deep lying playmaker, so his goals and assist tally wasn't huge, but he was easily our most dependable. Winger Glenn Walker contributed some useful goals, while Shulton was injury plagued. Striker Matthew Fletcher put in 14 goals in 31 starts, along with some added assists. Our star right back James Hurst wasn't as good as I hoped, and he's off to a bigger club after throwing a fit. Players over 6.8 get a pass mark. Anyone under a 6.8 average rating is on the chopping block going into next year as I try to get promoted.

Last edited: