Coalition launches Libya attacks

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 406
  • Views Views 21K

Joel`

Reaction score
_51754437_011572082-1.jpg

US and UK cruise missiles hit more than 20 Libyan air defence targets, Pentagon officials said

The UK, the US and France have begun attacking Libya as enforcement of the UN-mandated no-fly zone gets under way.

Pentagon officials say the US and the UK have fired more than 110 missiles.

Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has said he will open arms depots to the people and the interests of Mediterranean countries will be in danger from now on.

Western planes bombed targets in the capital, Tripoli, said the AFP news agency, quoting witnesses and state TV.

Earlier on Saturday, pro-Gaddafi forces attacked the rebel stronghold of Benghazi despite declaring a ceasefire a day earlier.

A French plane fired the first shots against Libyan government targets at 1645 GMT, destroying a number of military vehicles, according to a military spokesman.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed that British planes are in action over Libya.

US President Barack Obama, speaking during a visit to Brazil, said the US was taking "limited military action" as part of a "broad coalition".

"We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy," he said.

He repeated that no US ground troops would take part.

Shortly after the bombing started, a Libyan official went on TV to denounce the "barbarian aggression".

Col Gaddafi himself made a brief speech on Libyan radio, calling on people to resist.

"Civilian and military targets in the air and sea will be liable to serious danger in the Mediterranean," he said.

"Arms depots are now open and the masses are being equipped with all sorts of weapons in defence of Libya's independence, unity and honour," the Libyan leader warned.

'Necessary'
A British submarine has fired a number of missiles at Libyan air defence targets, the Ministry of Defence said.

Mr Cameron said that launching military action against Libya was "necessary, legal and right".

Libyan state TV reported that what it called the "crusader enemy" had bombed civilian areas of Tripoli, as well as fuel storage tanks supplying the western city of Misrata.

Sources in Tripoli told BBC Arabic that the attacks on the city had so far targeted the eastern areas of Sawani, Airport Road, and Ghasheer. These are all areas believed to host military bases.

The air strikes on Misrata targeted a military airbase, the Reuters news agency reported, quoting two residents who denied the state TV reports that fuel stores were hit.

The cruise missiles were fired from one British submarine and a number of American destroyers and subs, said a Pentagon official.

The missiles hit more than 20 air defence sites along the Mediterranean coast, said Navy Vice Adm William E Gortney.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

In Libya, the civilian population, which is demanding nothing more than the right to choose their own destiny, is in mortal danger”

French planes also flew reconnaissance missions over "all Libyan territory", military sources in Paris said earlier.

In addition, Canada is sending warplanes to the region, while Italy has offered the use of its military bases. A naval blockade against Libya is also being put in place.

The international community was intervening to stop the "murderous madness" of Col Gaddafi, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said.

"In Libya, the civilian population, which is demanding nothing more than the right to choose their own destiny, is in mortal danger," he warned. "It is our duty to respond to their anguished appeal."

Shortly after the airstrikes began, Libyan state TV said a French plane had been shot down near Tripoli. However, French military officials said all their planes had returned safely.

Col Gaddafi has ruled Libya for more than 40 years. An uprising against him began last month after long-time leaders of neighbouring Tunisia and Egypt were toppled.

You know the only reason they are getting involved is for Libya's oil.

meh.ro2853.jpg

I pitty this world. Why do they need to bombard Lybia ? They will ruin that country even more. They said they want to stop the war. Now, they started a one. Nice job from England/French/USA side oO)

doesnt bother me what other reasons they are there for, as long as it stops the slaughter of civilians

meh.ro2853.jpg

I pitty this world. Why do they need to bombard Lybia ? They will ruin that country even more. They said they want to stop the war. Now, they started a one. Nice job from England/French/USA side oO)

Because he's slaughtering his own people? The only thing that gets me is the inconsistency, why just Libya. Bahrain, Yemen?

meh.ro2853.jpg

have you even been following this? this was the last action, they have taken every other measure for the last 3 weeks

Joel, Lybia isnt the same as egypt or tunisia, the levels of violence supercede that, this is effectively civil war and mass deliberate attack on civilians

Because he's slaughtering his own people? The only thing that gets me is the inconsistency, why just Libya. Bahrain, Yemen?

Yep, they are killing people to stop killing ?
So, killing from French side is good, but from Libiya's aint ?

Yep, they are killing people to stop killing ?
So, killing from French side is good, but from Libiya's aint ?
Gaddafi is attacking civilians.. they are attacking his troops, after taking all other non military routes

doesnt bother me what other reasons they are there for, as long as it stops the slaughter of civilians

By killing people (Including civilians)? Instead of looking for a peaceful solution, BAM here we come, freedom to the rescue in the shape of a missile!

People really need to stop being so naïve, this has **** all to do with freedom or democracy, but economic interest. Why don't they do the same in Bahrain? Why don't they intervene against Israel when it comes to killings of civilians? Why did they turn a blind eye on so many dictatorships? Because they're their "allies", as in "mere puppets". They don't give a **** about the people, not a little bit of brownish stinking ****.

Granted, Ghadaffi isn't exactly a nice guy, but he is supported by a large portion of the populace, which will get bombed, will die, and there'll be even more **** all over the place.

You know the only reason they are getting involved is for Libya's oil.

Oh god, I hate this pessimism.

First off, we actually can't get involved for Libya's oil. The UN has backed plans for intervention to help the lives of citizens in Libya. Not to invade. We can't split Libya's oil between the whole world, it just wouldn't work.

We're not "bombarding" Libya, we're making sorties to prevent the government from bombing their own civilians. This is a just and good cause, whatever you say. We're peacekeeping, we're not starting a war. It's already a war. And it's not the *ahem* BRITISH/French/Americans, it is the UN. This is crucial.

In Iraq, we went in without the backing of the UN, and as a result got a whole bunch of bad will from the international community. Now, we're going in as a collective world, all agreeing that something must be done.

**** straight. It annoys me when people say we shouldn't interfere with foreign affairs. We have to, the Libyan leadership has gotten out of hand, and something needs to be done to stop the slaughter of civilians.

Its non of our business, we should keep out.. its the same situation as Iraq.

Oil the West only gets involved when Oil is at state it dont give a **** about the people look at Sudan they just ignored the fact that millions of people were being slaughtered, thats the reason they went into Iraq and thats the reason they are going into Libya.

By killing people (Including civilians)? Instead of looking for a peaceful solution, BAM here we come, freedom to the rescue in the shape of a missile!

People really need to stop being so naïve, this has **** all to do with freedom or democracy, but economic interest. Why don't they do the same in Bahrain? Why don't they intervene against Israel when it comes to killings of civilians? Why did they turn a blind eye on so many dictatorships? Because they're their "allies", as in "mere puppets". They don't give a **** about the people, not a little bit of brownish stinking ****.

Granted, Ghadaffi isn't exactly a nice guy, but he is supported by a large portion of the populace, which will get bombed, will die, and there'll be even more **** all over the place.
have you not been following this in any shape, they have been at the table for weeks, this didnt just happen out of nowhere

Oil the West only gets involved when Oil is at state it dont give a **** about the people look at Sudan they just ignored the fact that millions of people were being slaughtered, thats the reason they went into Iraq and thats the reason they are going into Libya.

Are you a government official? Thought not. You seem sure that this is true, when you have no real proof.

i suggest a lot of people here stop, think, and actually go back and read and collect the facts

Oh don't be ****** foolish.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Bosnia had MASSIVE reserves of oil that we didn't know about?

Its non of our business, we should keep out.. its the same situation as Iraq.

It's just not, though. It is completely different in so many ways.

Back